Thread: Awkward

Boxer of the Galaxy Awkward Rowan's Avatar

Awkward

Someone you don't know has suddenly collapsed in your vicinity. You know CPR and are asked to perform it since no one else knows how to. The person has a cold sore. Do you perform CPR?

Are you a bad person for not wanting too? Is it your responsibility?

What kind of awkward situations have you been forced into?

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. Awkward noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A table asking me to say their blessing for them.

Or anytime a table asks me if I'd like to be included in their prayer.

And of course the ever popular "Give -Me- The Check" scenario or when a table starts arguing in my presence. I'm always tempted to ask who'll leave the bigger tip or if the "spat" is going to affect what I get tipped.

I don't think I've been in a situation -that- awkward before. On the one hand, it could be bad JuJu, so I'd suggest lubing up with the Carmex. I also don't know CPR so I'm no help.

The Bad Boy of TFF Awkward Block's Avatar
    It is really awkward coming over to refill a glass of water with a pitcher to only realize that the entire family is praying. Being a Bartender leads to awkward situations all the time. I also like to just be super weird and stand next to my tables and not say anything. It really weirds them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisyn
    I can tell by looking at you right at this moment from the angle of through your window that you have nothing to be ashamed of
    CPC8: Makin' it happen.

Technically everybody has cold sores.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries
    I didn't realise anyone would be so affected by seeing a cold sore that they wouldn't attempt to save them in a life-threatening situation. They're not that bad, I usually get at least one in winter for some reason... and 99% of the time it has nothing to do with herpes the STI, given I got them for many years before I was sexually active (1) (Ugh, what does that even mean! /JunoReference). Some people just carry the virus... and it is simple to treat.

I hate having to squeeze past people in like a corridor, at a bar, or on a train. Do I give them the ass or the front package? There are no winners.

(1) And I don't have an STI...
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-27-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    If I were a white mage or had a white mage in my party I'd just cast/have them cast "Esuna," because hopefully choking would fall under one of the many things that spell takes care of. If not, I just took CPR the other week, and regardless of whether they had a cold sore, I suppose I'd help. You don't HAVE to though.

...and that first bit about the white mage and such is because you posted this in "General Final Fantasy" Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Cold sores are apart of the herpes simplex A virus. Once its obtained, your body starts producing antibodies for it for the rest of your life, because that's what happens when you are afflicted with it. I think what loaf is saying is that most people already have this virus but its prone to inflammation due to various circumstances, which are not often. The thing is, herpes simplex a is not a sexually transmitted disease since cold sores are herpes simplex a, they are highly contagious and can be passed from sharing a drink, to flaking of skin on a pillow from someone who has it currently inflamed. Herpes simplex b is the kind to affect your genitalia although herpes simplex b is considered sexually transmitted because the only way to get it is from oral sex or sex with someone with inflammation on the genitals. Oral sex from simplex A will give the person simplex b, the kind that affects the nether regions.

Now, someone who isn't affected with neither lifelong virus, would you be willing to become infected for the chance at saving a life? Although its proven that CPR is practically useless and has as high as a 2% chance at resuscitating someone in the best of circumstances IF its performed correctly.

dont try and make me feel bad for opting out of helping someone when it impacts me negatively.

I dont mean to discourage people from doing CPR (non herpe circumstances) but outside of a hospital, more than often cpr does more harm that good and records state 5% of people would survive if passer by's did not perform CPR, but instead called an ambulance.
    Last edited by Rowan; 05-27-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Cold sores are apart of the herpes simplex A virus. Once its obtained, your body starts producing antibodies for it for the rest of your life, because that's what happens when you are afflicted with it. I think what loaf is saying is that most people already have this virus but its prone to inflammation due to various circumstances, which are not often. The thing is, herpes simplex a is not a sexually transmitted disease since cold sores are herpes simplex a, they are highly contagious and can be passed from sharing a drink, to flaking of skin on a pillow from someone who has it currently inflamed. Herpes simplex b is the kind to affect your genitalia although herpes simplex b is considered sexually transmitted because the only way to get it is from oral sex or sex with someone with inflammation on the genitals. Oral sex from simplex A will give the person simplex b, the kind that affects the nether regions.

Now, someone who isn't affected with neither lifelong virus, would you be willing to become infected for the chance at saving a life? Although its proven that CPR is practically useless and has as high as a 2% chance at resuscitating someone in the best of circumstances IF its performed correctly.

dont try and make me feel bad for opting out of helping someone when it impacts me negatively.

I dont mean to discourage people from doing CPR (non herpe circumstances) but outside of a hospital, more than often cpr does more harm that good and records state 5% of people would survive if passer by's did not perform CPR, but instead called an ambulance.
    And then Rowan posted the thing about herpes that I was gonna post. Sticky bitch <3

Anyway, I'd help them out. At least if it is some kind of face marring, embarrassing STD you have the confidence of knowing that you saved somebody's life while contracting it. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Herpes aren't fatal, and nor are cold sores.

Also, this seems to have become a waiting general thread. I always did the awkward prayer-refilling glasses thing, but the most awkward thing for me would either be having to sing happy birthday for a customer or take their picture. I am by no means a social butterfly, so being a waiter was a stretch to begin with, but then to get all extroverted and sing 'n shit was just crazy.

On the note of Gen. Final Fantasy, I think Bartz would totally do it. Have you guys seen the floozies he dances with? Dude has no fear (sans heights).

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Blog Entries
    I still think helping to save someone's life is more important than potentially catching a mildly inconvenient cosmetic virus.

Although I'm ignoring that last paragraph of Rowan's because that argument is against CPR in general, whereas you first framed it as a binary option of CPR for someone with cold sores or no CPR for that same person, where it was implied that the latter is worse for the dying person.

And I've never seen anyone pray in a restaurant. That seems weird.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-27-2013 at 07:41 PM.

I value quality of life over life. I would give an arm or organ for a beloved family member, or even a close friend if it meant saving their life. But for total strangers of whom I have no duty of care, if it impacted me in any lifelong way whether or not others considered it a small issue, I would not help in that way. It might make me a bad person, but that's who I am.

@viral, It was meant for general chat. I'm off with the fairies today -_-

Also, I've never met a family that prayed before a meal before, nor have I encountered it during my time as a bartender about 4 years back. Is it common in USA to pray before/during meals, even in public restaurants?

I'm just saying since you stated in your original post that it was a cold sore then it shouldn't be a problem.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Chief Inspiring Officer Awkward Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm....would I? I guess. I mean, if I knew CPR of course I'd wanna use that certain skill (that's why I'd wanna learn it in the first place, duh) As for them having Herpes or whatev, I wouldn't know the difference between a cold sore and a pimple, so, yeah, pucker up!

If I get an infection, well *shrug* I did it with good intentions
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, if I have to deal with a tiny sore on my lip for a while after saving someone's life, then I don't mind so much. I usually get a cold sore around winter, but it's tiny and clears up almost over night. They really aren't a big deal.

...Unless it's big, bright red and oozing. Then I might actually throw up over the person I'm doing CPR for, and that would be just as awkward.

Working in retail presents some pretty awkward situations. I've caused an argument between husband and wife over a warranty, jumped back in shock when this lady spoke to me with a voice of a man (s/he thought it was hilarious), had to tell a kid that he couldn't chew on on ALL the soft toys we have for sale, to which he responded to crying loudly and his mum having to buy three [overpriced] plushies, watched a lady declare her love for Michael Jackson and then make out with The Experience DVD box, had a guy tell my boyfriend (who used to work with me) that he thought my ass was nice and that he'd be waiting for me outside until I finished my shift, and walking in on my manager on the toilet. Then you hear about the stuff that happened when you weren't there, like a guy who actually whipped his willy out and started jerking off to a Tomb Raider standee, and the first guy in line at a midnight launch grabbing your manager for a kiss.

Last night, when I was out for dinner in my local pub, the bar lady kept breaking out into tears. Didn't know if it was something we should've got involved with, but we figured she was with her boyfriend and her friends. But she was right next to our table the whole time, and it felt really awkward. We just wanted a quiet drink and a few games of Fire Emblem, but it felt like we should have said something, but it seemed too personal to get involved with too. There was also this really drunk old guy at the bar, who they refused to serve because he was getting really inappropriate and told the bar lady's friend (very loudly) that she makes his "thingy go up" (his exact words). In front of her boyfriend.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

I invented Go-Gurt. Awkward Clint's Avatar
    If somebody can't breathe, and they die because I didn't perform CPR, it's their fault for not breathing. It's basically suicide. Plus cold sores are gross, and if you get one, then there is a 100% chance that you have genital herpes. It's simple science.

The only awkward situation I've ever been put it was when I wanted to break off my relationship with Sondra Locke without actually addressing the situation personally, or saying anything to her about it. One day she was away directing a movie, and while she was away, I had the locks to our home changed, and had her possessions removed from the home and placed in storage.

It may have also made the situation a bit more awkward that while I was in a relationship with Sondra, I had two children in secret with a slutty flight attendant.

Blog Entries
    This makes me think of an idea for a show. Something like Seinfeld or Curb your Enthusiasm. Guy collapsed, but has a cold sore. Only one guy knows CPR, but doesn't want to get the herpes. He then decides he can quickly instruct someone else how to do CPR, so he asks around if anyone who already has the herpes to do it while he instructs them. But nobody wants to admit to having herpes.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

The Bad Boy of TFF Awkward Block's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    This makes me think of an idea for a show. Something like Seinfeld or Curb your Enthusiasm. Guy collapsed, but has a cold sore. Only one guy knows CPR, but doesn't want to get the herpes. He then decides he can quickly instruct someone else how to do CPR, so he asks around if anyone who already has the herpes to do it while he instructs them. But nobody wants to admit to having herpes.
    Larry David for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Also, I've never met a family that prayed before a meal before, nor have I encountered it during my time as a bartender about 4 years back. Is it common in USA to pray before/during meals, even in public restaurants?
    When you live in the Southern US (AKA The Bible Belt), yes. It's typical. Not as much on a weekday/night, but Sunday, yes.

At my first job as a server, @ a Mexican spot, I was supposed to leave, but my boss made me take a party of 25 by myself out on the patio. I'd only been there for like a month and had never had to take a big party before. They were nice... At first. And because I was still wet behind the ears, I said "Yeah sure!" when they asked if I wanted to be included in their prayer - that was about 5 minutes wasted when I could've been taking drink orders.

I didn't get any of their orders wrong, but one lady complained about the sauce on her stupid -1- tamal that she ordered (the boss & kitchen decided to go from the plain red sauce to the slightly more substantial colorado sauce which has little bits of steak and chunks of tomato in it & has more flavor, even though it's not spicy). They hee-hawed and went on about how awesome I am being able to take care of all of them by myself.

The tip? A measly $4.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    , and the first guy in line at a midnight launch grabbing your manager for a kiss.
    must of been a really good game! like Mass Effect 3...before everyone got to the end of the game....

One of those awkward moments are when I'm in my apartment playing videogames, just being loud and occasionally dropping some choice words. Usually the next day if the elderly lady below my floor was home during that time, she will leave me a "come to Jesus!" paper slip thingy on my car windshield, telling me about all the glorious things that will happen to me once I become saved.

It's like I've been saved since i was 5 years old but God still is matching me up with morons pls....
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

I don't think it makes you a bad person, maybe a bit selfish, but not bad. I would also be selfish and say no way, call ems.

Of course, only time in my entire life i gave cpr in a real situation was on a person close to me and it was a no thinker moment. So, idk how I would actually respond, but chances are i would be grossed out at herpes on a stranger.

One of those awkward moments are when I'm in my apartment playing videogames, just being loud and occasionally dropping some choice words. Usually the next day if the elderly lady below my floor was home during that time, she will leave me a "come to Jesus!" paper slip thingy on my car windshield, telling me about all the glorious things that will happen to me once I become saved.
    we rented a house that we were referred to by a friend, who happened to be gay and lived with his boyfriend of 8 years. we are an unmarried couple. right between us and our friends was a middle aged lady that lived alone. first time we talked to her: "how long have you been married?" well, never. "..."
    and then began the god pamphlets in the mailbox that continued until we moved on. we joked with the gay couple they never got them because in her eyes they were a lost cause.

Blog Entries
    I had an ulcer on my tongue once. when I was like 15 & it was over thanksgiving. damn thing covered my entire tongue & I coildnt eat at all for like a week. The Dr asked if I was sexually active... in front of my mom. I hadn't even had my 1st kiss yet! jeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    I had an ulcer on my tongue once. when I was like 15 & it was over thanksgiving. damn thing covered my entire tongue & I coildnt eat at all for like a week. The Dr asked if I was sexually active... in front of my mom. I hadn't even had my 1st kiss yet! jeeze.
    I use to get chronic ulceration of the tongue, lips, inside of mouth and throat. It would be common for me to get at least 1 ulcer somewhere every 2 weeks. Ever since I was about 7 all the way up until my late teens, probably stopped getting them around 19. Having had them for so long, I actually found out what caused them for me, personally. As many people come to know, these kinds of things have no singular determined cause. My diet included many acidic foods, such as tomato sauces with pasta, sodas, juices etc. Once I eliminated them from my diet, the ulcers became less frequent and now, very rare.

Thank you for listening to my story.

Blog Entries
    Really? They never told me what had actually caused mine other than it was that Herpes Simplex whatever. They gave me Lidocaine gargle stuff, but I kept accidentally swallowing it, so my whole throat wound up numb. That's the only time it ever happened, too. I really haven't even had a cold sore since maybe 20 or 21.

Ulcers are not caused by herpes simplex virus. Cold sores and ulcers (canker sores) are very different.

Blog Entries
    Ohhhh... Got'cha. IDK, this thing completely covered my tongue. I couldn't talk, couldn't eat, nothing, without it hurting to the point that I was in tears.

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    Ohhhh... Got'cha. IDK, this thing completely covered my tongue. I couldn't talk, couldn't eat, nothing, without it hurting to the point that I was in tears.
    Maybe it wasn't an ulcer then ... could have been some sort of infection.

Blog Entries
    *Shrugs* Just what the Dr. told me it was. But, it also wasn't my regular dr. 'cuz we were in Ohio at the time.

Blog Entries
    I guess they can vary in size and shit (never had one), from what I've read. It could be the same thing you are both experiencing. Just...differently.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

As a certified CPR provider, depending on the circumstances, you are not obligated to perform CPR. I wouldn't expect a civilian to somehow perform a tracheostomy and as long as you do not go beyond the scope of your certification you will be fine. If the result did more harm than good after you tried to save them, you are protected under The Good Samaritan Law and can't be sued. If a licensed health care provider were around that'd be a different story, but even RNs, EMTs, Paramedics, MDs are overwhelmed about intervening in an emergency off duty.

I'd say it's better keep the body oxygenated and unobstructed than doing nothing at all. You will hear stories about patients coming into hospitals with CPR related rib fractures, but is the person dead? No. Improper technique? Yes. The victim has a better chance of surviving if someone acts quickly enough to buy enough time for professional medical care and AED to arrive.

Cold sore or not, you can use a disposable 3m CPR mask to provide CPR safely. Buy two just incase!

When I took Oral Communications, the class and I were forced to do a minute impromptu speech about a topic we randomly picked from a jar and could care less about. You can imagine how that went!

The lead singer/rhythm guitarist of the band I was in had a choir trip the same weekend we had a gig. He had each of us sing a song to make up for the one missing member. I sang a Foo Fighters song whilst moving my face in the same direction the wind moved the mic.
    Last edited by Azuteor; 06-27-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wow...cold sore... *looks at collection of Ambu CPR masks in DnD Bag of Holding tote* You guys...didn't have a hypochondriac Respiratory Therapist mother? I had like five Ambu masks BEFORE I even got certified...think she wanted my first kiss to be through one of the bastards.

Awkward. Going in to a public restroom. I've done it once. It was hell.

Being waved at, waving back, only to realize, you don't know them, they don't know you, they were waving at someone behind you...you jackass!

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

I'd say it's better keep the body oxygenated and unobstructed than doing nothing at all. You will hear stories about patients coming into hospitals with CPR related rib fractures, but is the person dead? No. Improper technique? Yes. The victim has a better chance of surviving if someone acts quickly enough to buy enough time for professional medical care and AED to arrive.
    i like this line of thinking, when i was first taught cpr in high school, they told us the breathing was the important part, and even discouraged the pumping because of injuries. but with the thoughts now that the circulation is more important... perfect reasoning for me to never have to put my lips to a strangers unless i'm kissing them for fun. i love progress.

and if i ever need cpr... i hope someone like you two is there and has a mask haha.