• Bad... Bad I tell you!

0 0%
  • Don't really care...

4 26.67%
  • No opinion.

1 6.67%

Thread: Awards

Awards

So I was thinking - granted a rare occasion but it does happen. Are awards really a good tool for motivation?

This Friday my Uni is holding the Graduation and Awards Ceremony, and it really got me deep in thought. Of course everyone would love to get an award... but the fact of the matter is not everyone does get one.

Awards could be the possible result of envy, bad-feeling and anger. However, it is also an excellent method of recognition - if the decision made has been well-made and justified.

So yeah, what do you think? Are awards a good idea? Or do you think they're just the root of all evil?

I'm sorry, I had to make a thread .

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Awards

I like awards; not necessarily receiving them, but they're pretty fun.

I think some do give you a sense of achievement and encouragement to do well. Like for instance, getting a certificate at school or college for good behaviour, attendance, doing well in a test, etc. Or more community or leisure based things like being part of the local football team, doing well in karate (either by receiving the next belt, or doing well in a tournament and getting a medal).

It's slightly embarrassing when you get too many though... a friend of mine was called on to the stage at school seven times to pick up her award/certificates. xD

Some people get butthurt or too competitive when it comes to them though, and they ruin the fun. Sometimes, there should be awards for the biggest bitch or most desperate to win. >>;

Anywho, I like them. ^^

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Seven awards? =O! Wow... thats pretty cool haha. But you're right... embarrassing at the same time <_<;;

It's scary when people get bitter about them though. I sometimes wish everyone could win a little something you know? So no bad feelings!

and ending the dream.

I'm DYING to see you! Awards ViviMasterMage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kilala View Post
    It's scary when people get bitter about them though. I sometimes wish everyone could win a little something you know? So no bad feelings!
    So, you think that everyone could get a consolation prize? That's a good idea but isn't the whole idea of awards to make the person feel special and show their accomplishments. If everyone gets an award, nobody feels special and the whole feel of the awards goes away.

I think that awards are great. I don't like receiving them because I always do something embarrassing when I'm stood up like wave to and fro with my hands behind my back like Rikku or something. I'm so girlish but that's not an issue.

On the other hand, not getting an award doesn't effect me because award in my school are for mostly doing extra-curricular stuff or going somewhere. I think that they're just there so that under-achieving kids will try to achieve more and try harder at what they are doing because it's normally people that are like that who get the awards. I've been told that by my Law teacher, too! She said that she would pick me for the awards every week but she wants other kids to feel like they're doing really well. Maybe she was lying to me? I don't know.

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My very hyper moogle loving cousin Meigumi!
    My grammar obsessive twin AWESOME brother Fate!
    My powerful, dangerous, short tempered younger brother Alther!
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias
    My awesomely cool big brother xXCloudXx
    "The Bestest Buddy" xTidus (Aka Casey)
    My Okami-playing, Sephiroth-fangirl American cousin Dodie16
    My brother and stealthy swordsman of poetic power genome's blade
    My brother from another mother Gilgameshed_Up

My Fatey!:

Quote Originally Posted by Meigumi
    ....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    Memories drifting through me
    So calm like the sea

Registered User Awards

I voted that I like them. And yeah, I believe that they can be used as a sort of "tool" for motivation, though I would hope that it's not the only thing a person is striving for. Getting an award is nice and all, but I also think that you should do the things you do and not really expect to be awarded for them. I think feelings of doing a good job and being proud of your own accomplishments are an award in and of themselves.

People who spend their time on jealousy over someone else's recognition of achievement need to get their priorities in line, I think. Everyone has their day in the sun, so be happy for the person instead of jealous that it's not you*. You'll have your day, and when it comes, wouldn't you want people to be happy for you, instead of feeling jealous?

*(I used "you" in a general sense...not really talking in specifics. )
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Blog Entries

They're the root of all evil, of course. And isn't not caring and having no opinion basically the same thing? Also, Dodie, I am offended by your use of the word "you."

Anyway, awards are cool. They allow for recognition of the people who did awesome, and those people deserve that recognition. If people are jealous, that's their own problem. They didn't do well enough to receive said award, so it's their own fault, not the person who received the award, or the award itself. Anyhoo...

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    So, you think that everyone could get a consolation prize? That's a good idea but isn't the whole idea of awards to make the person feel special and show their accomplishments. If everyone gets an award, nobody feels special and the whole feel of the awards goes away.
    Nah, I don't think everyone should get a consolation prize and it's still a 'consolation' prize.. I just feel sorry for those who lose out you know?

As a seriously competitive person I love awards haha! But yes, I still think of others feelings

Oh Question!:

What about if the system is corrupt? Then surely awards are evil eh?

and ending the dream.

Nah, I don't think everyone should get a consolation prize and it's still a 'consolation' prize.. I just feel sorry for those who lose out you know?

Oh Question!:

What about if the system is corrupt? Then surely awards are evil eh?
    Yeah, I get what you mean! But eventually, you have to experience what it's like to lose something, you know?

Who would corrupt school awards? That's just petty isn't it? But if you're on about stuff like the Emmys or something then I get what you mean. Aren't all awards evil anyway. If you look right, you can see that even 2000 years ago, people got pissed off at other people's achievements.

Didn't the Emperor Nero or whatever his name was kill Jesus because he was jealous of him and his publicity. I know that it was also because he was spreading the word of Christanity and he did that but there was some jealousy on the side.

Most things are caused by envy and awards brings envy so in turn, awards are evil. I'll turn it into a equation.

Awards = Envy
    Envy = War/Conflict
    Conflict = Bad
    Therefore, Awards = Bad

My things:

My TFF Family!:
    My badassly cool chaos-loving lord who adores big swords and uber spells, Elyon Demidias

My Fatey!:

....... I was reaaally hoping you'd say something else, but whatever! HEY, EVERYONE! WE'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION! 8D
    Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    So calm like the sea

Who would corrupt awards? In my old school, a girl's father paid money and amazingly she won most the awards =O

It's a sad fact... Only if the concept remains pure are awards good .

and ending the dream.

Registered User Awards

Envy can also lead someone to want to better themselves though, right? So maybe jealousy isn't all that bad. When it's consuming you though, then I can see where Nova is getting at, that it's the "root" of all evil.

So in turn:

Awards can lead to Envy
    Envy can lead to a Desire to do better
    Desire to do better can lead to Accomplishments
    Accomplishments can lead to Recognition
    and Recognition can lead to... AWARDS!

Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Wow... Dodie such a positive view hehe! -Glomples- ^^

However, not everyone can go through that process as we all know... not everyone gets rewarded =/.
    Although everyone could be given recognition. Maybe?

and ending the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    I can see where Nova is getting at, that it's the "root" of all evil.

So in turn:

Awards can lead to Envy
    Envy can lead to a Desire to do better
    Desire to do better can lead to Accomplishments
    Accomplishments can lead to Recognition
    and Recognition can lead to... AWARDS!

But another outcome can be that:

Awards can lead to Envy
    Envy can lead to a hatred towards the people who won the awards
    People who won the awards can lead to Anguish and Revenge
    Anguish and Revenge can lead to Crime
    and Crime can lead to... PRISON!

My things:

My TFF Family!:

My Fatey!:

Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    So calm like the sea

Who would corrupt awards? In my old school, a girl's father paid money and amazingly she won most the awards =O

It's a sad fact... Only if the concept remains pure are awards good .
    "Student Whose Family Donated the Most", "Most Financially Helpful Student", "Best Parental Connections".

I don't see the problem here.

Until now!

I invented Go-Gurt. Awards Clint's Avatar

I voted that I don't care about awards, but that's not entirely true. I care greatly about awards, but only if they're made of gold or some other type of valuable substance, that can be sold for prodigious amounts of money. So overall, I'd rather receive prodigious amounts of money than an award, because with money, I can reward myself by buying hookers and crystal meth. Nothing is more rewarding than that. That being said, if awards of hookers and crystal meth were given, that would completely change my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    Didn't the Emperor Nero or whatever his name was kill Jesus because he was jealous of him and his publicity. I know that it was also because he was spreading the word of Christanity and he did that but there was some jealousy on the side.

...lol jokes right? What does Nero killing Christians have anything to do with receiving awards? It wasn't because the emperor was jealous of some dead man that has been spreading his religion over the past few decades lol, he blamed them for the great fire of Rome. Now that you had your history lesson for the day, go home and do your homework before you post unrelated stuff to anything please.

EDIT: after rereading what you tried to say, urstilldoinitwrong. Jesus wasn't killed because people were jealous of him, he was pointing out the fallacies in the church and went against what the Jews believed in, and he was developing quite a following so in order to prevent a church coup de etat, Sanhedrin had him arrested and condemned to death. My other point still stands.

Awards are great. It's fun to get one, but it sucks when you aren't recognized for one. It's not meant to be "fair" or "just", it's just who you know, not really what you know of. In any case, for people that don't get the award that they deserve end up getting more recognition anyways because they're considered "underrated" and everyone loves to root for the underdog, especially when the person that didn't get the credit knows that they are more deserving of one who did. If the person truely deserves the award then everyone will realize who should of received it.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post

...lol jokes right? What does Nero killing Christians have anything to do with receiving awards? It wasn't because the emperor was jealous of some dead man that has been spreading his religion over the past few decades lol, he blamed them for the great fire of Rome. Now that you had your history lesson for the day, go home and do your homework before you post unrelated stuff to anything please.

EDIT: after rereading what you tried to say, urstilldoinitwrong. Jesus wasn't killed because people were jealous of him, he was pointing out the fallacies in the church and went against what the Jews believed in, and he was developing quite a following so in order to prevent a church coup de etat, Sanhedrin had him arrested and condemned to death. My other point still stands.
    Shush... I was trying to sound intelligent but don't tell anyone.

No, but seriously. I know that but by exaggerating myself, I was trying to get the point across that awards are evil things. (Or maybe I was rambling because I was tired? Who cares?)

My things:

My TFF Family!:

My Fatey!:

Fate's beautiful haiku:
    Lost in reverie
    So calm like the sea

My couch pulls out but I don't. Awards midgetbob's Avatar

Awards can lead to Envy
    Envy can lead to this thread
    this thread can lead to stupid.

I want to play a game. Awards Zargabaath's Avatar

but the fact of the matter is not everyone does get one.
    I wish the NCAA gave out one award in football instead of having 20 different bowls. But it is all about the money, as is the recent activity with the Big 12 being taken apart - and they talked about "tradition" and "purity"; Bah! bunch of liars.

Back on to awards: Awards are usually in recognition of a job well done that is deserving praise. There are exceptions, like the Razzies, which are given to the worst film, actors, director, etc each year. They can be a motivator, depending on the person, and it they are a good idea. Just yesterday the Chicago Blackhawks won Lord Stanley's Cup, which they haven't done in 49 years - that trophy is already coveted by the league/players and the Blackhawks are overjoyed in winning that trophy.

At my dad's job they were going to give a Turtle Award for the hardest worker. My dad joked on the award and whoever would win, lo and behold, it was he who got the award - he was pretty embarrassed.

Regarding if the system is corrupt the awards would still not be evil; the award itself is neutral. It [the award] did not do anything evil, it is the people who give out the award that are evil.

Which also leads into that awards are not "the root of all evil". People who become envious or jealous are the ones to blame for their own behavior - not an award/trophy. They may like to displace blame, as is prevalant in today's culture - but all blame rests on them. An award does not have a morality, nor knows of one - it is whatever shape it may take: a piece of paper, a trophy, a ribbon, etc.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Blog Entries

If you do something expecting to get a reward, it's for the wrong cause. If you do something and happen to receive a reward for it, cool.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

i like receiving them because it tells other people what ive done
    but i also like it when others get them because then i no what theyve done
    ~ Victus per Veneratio ~