Thread: The Alpha Male

Boxer of the Galaxy The Alpha Male Rowan's Avatar

The Alpha Male

We are animals, that is certain. Yet the one defining characteristic that seperates us from other animals is the ability to reason. Because of reason, we are enabled to do things and experience many forms of emotion. But does with reason, come the abandonment of instict? I've been thinking about how animals attract one another, the way they live their lives, hunt, group together and perform many of the other various actions that lead to survival, and wondered if the same rules apply to us in modern society and how they relate to our ability to use reason. Are there alpha males who attract the attention of women? how does this work? Is there a constant competetion between males fighting for the attention of the same woman, how does the woman decide who is more attractive? Could the alpha male be an alpha based on looks alone? What makes a successful alpha male? How do you identify an alpha male? Or have we abondaned our integral insticts and conform to a new socially accepted form of behaviour that differes from our natural instics? Are there alpha females? How does all of this apply in modern society?

Sorry if its not specific enough, these are just random things ive been thinking about and summarised rather suddenly.

All I can say is uhhhhhh

not every woman will go for that guy? We have in a sense evolved to look beyond just simple Alpha Male

When I say Alpha Male I am usually calling it to some guy who is beefed up and just trying to act tough and bigger then you. I'LL FIGHT YOU AND WILL WIN HAHAHA SHE LIKES ME NOW CAUSE I KICKED YOUR ASS

Personality is key.

If a woman is going for a man just simply because he's "alpha male" then they aren't even worth it.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

but then wouldn't the alpha male be the one with both the looks and the personality to match? Its not about being a prick and/or asshole who happens to be strong, its about being able to achieve what you want with as little effort possible. I'm not answering my question, just throwing this piece of info out there.

Memento Rhapso The Alpha Male Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes and no, to some extent.

Of course there is still competition in the modern world for trivial things like reproduction rights. More about sex and dating is wired to instinct and natural (immune system registry, gene compatibility, etc.) than we give credit. However, most people make ideal matches with each other as an aide to preventing extinction of the species, which leads me to my next point.

Animals lack reasoning, as you stated. Hence, they obey all drives, and pursue multiple mates as often as possible to achieve their biological goal; sustain the species. Humans, however, can reason. We defy the need to reproduce as often as possible (Well, some of us, at least) and do not make it a point to simply reproduce to reproduce. We reproduce due to a harmony of emotion and evolutionary drive, but this leads back to the whole Alpha Male central point.

There really can't be an Alpha Male in human society, from what I've gathered. In the animal sense, not all of the females would make ideal offspring with him, even if his genetics were nigh perfect. There are always outliers. In the sense of what humans have built, an Alpha leans too heavily on the animal side of things; if multiple females are compelled to swoon for him, then where is the thought? The reasoning? The moral?

There isn't really a definitive answer, since there are always different situations and 'what ifs' to come into play.

--

Also I mostly opened this thread hoping Alpha posted a snarky comment about the title, but he has yet to do so. I hope will do so post-haste.

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Ayyye The Alpha Male Lacquer Head's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    fite me irl faget, do u even lift? "Alpha" and "Beta" were always stupid terms in my opinion (no offense Alpha, just in this context~) but there IS a difference between people and things you can do to make yourself stronger and more successful. Anyone can be either. The only difference is confidence.

#LOCKE4GOD The Alpha Male Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ay gurl

...I don't really know anything about biology.

Blog Entries
    If a stereotypical "alpha" male is trying to impress a girl I like, is it "beta" of me to see that he will fail and let him, thus making me look more attractive to the female? Or is that just the new meta for alpha as **** guys? MINDBLOWNNNNNNNNNN

also I thought it was free will, not reasoning. just nitpicking like a douchecanoe does. or maybe it's because i'm so alpha.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    If a stereotypical "alpha" male is trying to impress a girl I like, is it "beta" of me to see that he will fail and let him, thus making me look more attractive to the female? Or is that just the new meta for alpha as **** guys? MINDBLOWNNNNNNNNNN
    also I thought it was free will, not reasoning. just nitpicking like a douchecanoe does. or maybe it's because i'm so alpha.
    did you just throw a "meta" into a thread about being alpha and picking up chicks? that's next level.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Shake it like a polaroid picture The Alpha Male RagnaToad's Avatar
    Che is so meta.
    Bitches love meta.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Blog Entries
    I did the 2+2 here, and you are not wrong.

Ayyye The Alpha Male Lacquer Head's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do believe you mean II + II

...**** off with the character limit

Alpha's can bypass .

The Mad God The Alpha Male Heartless Angel's Avatar
    The key difference lies in reason leading women to value different things in a mate, whereas in less intelligent species, there's nothing else really to go on. Reason doesn't necessarily destroy instinct, as even the girls who like the smart dudes or the guys making money will still have at least some base physical attraction to the good looking guys, even if they're douchebags with personalities they don't like. Similarly, a I'll stare at a nice pair of boobs even if they're attached to a moron with whom I wouldn't be able to spend an hour in the same room. Reason simply allows us to ignore these base instincts when making long term decisions... sometimes.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    What about dolphins? They might not be considered as intelligent as humans (I mean for god's sake they don't even have thumbs LOL). Sure, you could say they have nothing else really to go on, and hey, they all look the same to me, yet they have different personalities. You ever owned a pet? Animals are quite different and maybe that has something to do with it?

Unless I misread and you meant they choose personality reasonably. Also, there is still rape in the animal kingdom. It's not as if one male tiger is like I'm gonna **** all these females tigresses whether they like it or not and the females are like "welp, I wanted some tiger **** anyway so I guess **** it."

The Mad God The Alpha Male Heartless Angel's Avatar
    Yes, that's what I meant, reason enables us to choose someone based upon knowledge of their personality rather than instinctual attraction.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    All I want fo my birthdayyyyyyyyyy is a big booty hoe

Blog Entries
    All I know is:

Dolphins are kinda cool but not as smart as us

I could beat a dolphin in Street Fighter

Ecco the Dolphin is an okay game

ecco (the pro LoL player) is also a pretty okay dude too

It's hard to think with both heads at once sometimes

Am I missing any key notes?

Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Pro LoL player? Isn't that an oxymoron ? (Dota player here)

Blog Entries
    yeah, he gets a paycheck from Riot because him and his team are good enough, so he is considered a professional at his esport.

and I saw EG Demon try to play league of legends once. It was the worst and most hilarious stream I've ever watched before.