Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: After 10 Years

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: After 10 Years

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Also, there are several ideas as to why there was a burial at sea, ranging from trying to give a proper and humane Muslim burial, to a man who would likely not be claimed by a country. There was also the idea that if there was a burial site, it would attract both potential martyrs and people who would go to desecrate the site.
    Burial at sea wasn't really in his religious best interests, really, so I don't know why it was bothered to be "humane" about it. My memory might be a tad sketchy because it's been three years since I've studied RE, but Muslims believe that they have to be buried on land, in solid earth, so that when Judgement Day comes, they'll rise from their coffins to go to the Muslim version of Heaven or walk Purgatory until they've atoned for their sins.

Basically... the body has to be in one piece, which is why you wouldn't have Muslims hoping for the afterlife opting for cremation, or even a sea burial. An island in the middle of the ocean would have done as I don't think it really matters (blessed homeland soil I think is used in some circumstances).

I understand why he was dropped overboard though (not literally... or maybe). A land grave would have turned into a shrine to worship or piss on, which isn't really good. I just don't see the point on trying to take his beliefs into consideration when it wasn't fully thought through. *shrug*

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Just kind of there. After 10 Years Calvan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been hearing since 2002 from a variety of different sources that he's BEEN dead.
    2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, Today.

Honestly I have a lot of trouble believing anything the US government and it's talking heads say, Because they can't even keep a dang story straight.

They'll find a new boogieman.
    -My Tee Eff Eff Family-
    Unknown Entity, My recipe trading, PS3 playing cousin.
    ----------
    And then just like that i'm gone again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calvan View Post
    I've been hearing since 2002 from a variety of different sources that he's BEEN dead.
    2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, Today.

Honestly I have a lot of trouble believing anything the US government and it's talking heads say, Because they can't even keep a dang story straight.

They'll find a new boogieman.
    Link to sources please?

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Boxer of the Galaxy After 10 Years Rowan's Avatar

There is no good and evil, only what one perceives. The fact that america was celebrating his death, is no different to when afghanistan was celebrating what was done to the world trade center. I think its fantastic that hes dead, and I would spit on his corpse given the chance. That dirty pile of rotting flesh can sink into the maggot infested dirt now where he'd been hiding his cowardly arse. Getting people to kill themselves for him in the name of 'god' is pathetic. The idea of god is genuis/evil, but completly off topic, so ill stop there.

I hope everyone is safe from attacks in the future and that we dont have to be happy about someones death.

is not a douche After 10 Years Bubble Boy's Avatar

I can imagine Obama coming back to the podium next week and sayin':
    you just got trolled!

Killing Osama seems kinda surreal. Thought that douche was already dead.

I invented Go-Gurt. After 10 Years Clint's Avatar

Also, there are several ideas as to why there was a burial at sea, ranging from trying to give a proper and humane Muslim burial, to a man who would likely not be claimed by a country. There was also the idea that if there was a burial site, it would attract both potential martyrs and people who would go to desecrate the site.
    Or perhaps he was buried at sea because there are no laws against people from dumping trash in the ocean over there.

I do what you can't. After 10 Years Sasquatch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes28 View Post
    Families of murder victims probably don't rejoice over the violence involved with taking a serial killer out of this world.... they more likely rejoice that he won't be coming back.
    Exactly. That's the only reason why I support the death penalty -- otherwise, our prisons are so crappy that they will let a murderer out on "good behavior" or after eight or ten years, and he/she will just go kill again. Murder, rape, abuse, drugs, it's all the same. Recitivism is something we need to eliminate. But it's the same concept -- it's not so much a celebration that he's dead, but that he's no longer alive.

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    Words on this occasion are not enough, if they have DNA samples then sorry, I hadn't heard.
    Yeah, they do. We also have a system that we use that links fingerprints, iris scans, and facial structure to a big database with hundreds of thousands of entries already in it. Every local national that comes to work for a Coalition base or unit is entered into the system, everybody that might be "suspicious" is entered, and everybody that we capture or kill is entered. So when the same guy shows up at more than one different IED strike, or when we find out that one of a group of three or four locals working at one of our bases is a terrorist, we can look through the system and find patterns.

In regards to the need for solid proof, yeah its pretty much a given when you apply logic to the situation. Why travel all that way by your own private means to kill a man and not take a picture if you don't intend to take the body home?
    Because their mission was to kill him, not to publicize the killing?

SPOILER!!:

Oh look, is that a camera on his helmet? think he may be able to take a picture of a corpse with that? Do Navy seals shop at a different store or?
    To answer your question ... no, it's not a camera on his helmet. That is a mounting bracket for a set of NODs, or Night Optic Devices -- nightvision. I was considering taking a picture through my webcam of the same mount on my helmet, but figured that it wouldn't be worth the hassle -- you'll have to trust the word of a Soldier that prettymuch everybody in the United States military with a helmet and a set of NODs can look like that. (The NODs, probably a monocular setup that only uses one eye instead of the older style that focuses both into one lens, attach facing back and slightly down to the way he has his mount in the picture. He could then rotate them down to cover one eye if and when needed.)

And that guy isn't a SEAL, he's some peon with 2ID. Peons have time and circumstances that permit posing with bodies like morons -- SEALs have better shit to do.

[EDIT: Here's a picture of prettymuch the same thing, holding the older two-eye style of optic.]

Nix, the only problem with that, is much like when pics of Saddam's hanging and when his kid's pictures were released. It can cause a whole lot of backlash within the rest of the world.
    Good point. Some people are going to be pissed off enough at the thought of Osama being dead, or any Muslim being killed by Americans, and there's not much of a reason to widely publicize gory pictures that will piss them off even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    There is no good and evil, only what one perceives. The fact that america was celebrating his death, is no different to when afghanistan was celebrating what was done to the world trade center.
    Except for the fact that the World Trade Center attack killed three thousand civilians, including women and children, and America was celebrating the death of a man who planned and financed a successful attack against three thousand innocent civilians, including women and children. Huge ****ing difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The Clint Eastwood View Post
    Or perhaps he was buried at sea because there are no laws against people from dumping trash in the ocean over there.
    Win.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-02-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Boxer of the Galaxy After 10 Years Rowan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Except for the fact that the World Trade Center attack killed three thousand civilians, including women and children, and America was celebrating the death of a man who planned and financed a successful attack against three thousand innocent civilians, including women and children. Huge ****ing difference.
    as ive stated, its all to do with what someone believes. They believed killing people was the right thing to do and celebrated it. America believed it was right to kill osama and celebrated his murder. I can understand in our institutionlized society how you might be feeling. I dont know why you are arguing with me, I agree with you anyway.

Blog Entries

Except I don't think we were celebrating a murder outright. Like I've stated several times, it's more of a feeling of a great relief and a huge collective sigh. Plus, we finally found the bastard. We're not so much happy that he's dead, but moreso that we were ABLE to get him. It's more that justice was served and that there was a feeling of relief. It shows a little bit of the American spirit and the can-do attitude that we seemingly used to have, and lost with the attacks.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2