Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 FIFA World Cup

Shake it like a polaroid picture 2010 FIFA World Cup RagnaToad's Avatar

2010 FIFA World Cup

This thread is for anyone who wants to talk about the current Fifa World Cup. Talk about teams, players, past or upcoming matches etc. Just keep it relevant.

Uruguay-France was a disappointment. Some chances on both sides, but no goals. I wanted to see Uruguay win.

South-Korea has just kicked Greece's ass with 2-0, which I had not expected.

Any of you Americans going to watch England-USA?
    And any of you expecting the USA to win?
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

.............. 2010 FIFA World Cup smurphy's Avatar

Re: 2010 FIFA World Cup

I fancy England or Holland for the World Cup, both are solid teams with great playmakers(Robben, Sneijder, Gerrard, Lampard) and in Hollands case, they are due a world cup at this point. My dark horse would be South Korea or Germany. After watching South Korea tear Greece apart I am convinced they can challenge Argentina in the group stages and any team they get in the last 16 on. Germany are always in an enviable position. No matter the calibre of player they have they always seem to get far and I cannot see this year being any different.

If nothing else I hope France either get a big thrashing or/and get knocked out at the group stage. It still riles me that they simply shouldnt be there.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) 2010 FIFA World Cup che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ooooh Argentina game kept me on my seat. Messi was showing his brilliance but couldn't quite finish it. Nigeria had some good plays too, but having the same problem. I think Argentina were the better team despite only having 1 goal to prove it.

I didn't watch the S. Korea/Greece match as it was on at 6:00AM here. I'm not really too surprised at the score tbh.

I can't wait for the England - USA game. I'm definitely hoping USA wins, as we could use anything to show our country just how awesome of a game soccer is. I'm not expecting USA to win at all, though. I'm surprised that all I'm hearing on ESPN are things about Rooney. Yes, he's a beast, but he's not the only good player on England's squad.

ps. Thank you Ragna, my thread was annoying me. It's my fault for maybe wording it incorrectly, but I was surprised at how many people don't care for soccer, yet care enough to post that they don't care about it.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み 2010 FIFA World Cup ZantetsukeN's Avatar

I thought France v Uruguay last night was terrible. France were really bad, which I was quite surprised about because they are normally pretty good.

The two games were loads better today, Argentina v Nigeria was really good. Nigeria's keeper was awesome! Shame about his defence.

England v USA will be really good. Going down to my local pub soon to watch it, few beers will go down nicely . Obviously wanting and expecting England to win, but USA will put on a good match. We'll deffo have a few problems with them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZantetsukeN View Post
    I thought France v Uruguay last night was terrible. France were really bad, which I was quite surprised about because they are normally pretty good.

The two games were loads better today, Argentina v Nigeria was really good. Nigeria's keeper was awesome! Shame about his defence.

England v USA will be really good. Going down to my local pub soon to watch it, few beers will go down nicely . Obviously wanting and expecting England to win, but USA will put on a good match. We'll deffo have a few problems with them.
    Yeah, the France/Uruguay game was absolutely terrible.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth 2010 FIFA World Cup Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Ooooh Argentina game kept me on my seat. Messi was showing his brilliance but couldn't quite finish it. Nigeria had some good plays too, but having the same problem. I think Argentina were the better team despite only having 1 goal to prove it.
    Couldn't agree more, it was quite interesting, both sides played good especially Argentina, it was an excellent match compared to the previous ones. Messi was simply brilliant he and Veron dominated the entire match, shame though he didn't score, he certainly deserved it. Nigeria surprised me in a positive way, Martins reminded me of his good old days once again, hopefully he'll keep that way. Shame though Mikel was injured, it was quite obvious how much Nigeria need such player, and props to Nigeria's goalkeeper, he was incredible.

As for Korea and Grecce, it was a solid match, Korea played splendid while Greece was defending as usual, though their defense isn't what it used to be. There was one thing that pissed me of, the referee didn't show on the white dot after obvious foul on Korean player in Greece's box, there were few more mistakes.

Can't wait for tonight's match, I think England will win this but not in convincing way.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Ooooh Argentina game kept me on my seat. Messi was showing his brilliance but couldn't quite finish it.
    Indeed. Argentina was good in general. I was surprised about Nigeria actually. They withstood Argentina's attempts pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy
    If nothing else I hope France either get a big thrashing or/and get knocked out at the group stage. It still riles me that they simply shouldnt be there.
    I understand what you are saying. I wanted to root for Ireland this tournament, and it still bothers me what Henry did.

I expect england to wwin.

And woh, England just scored after 4 minutes of playing!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    Indeed. Argentina was good in general. I was surprised about Nigeria actually. They withstood Argentina's attempts pretty well.

I understand what you are saying. I wanted to root for Ireland this tournament, and it still bothers me what Henry did.

I expect england to wwin.

And woh, England just scored after 4 minutes of playing!
    Yeah, Nigeria was surprising too. They had some close chances.

Henry...he plays for my fav club, and I admire his heart and taking advantage of a situation for what he did, but it's not really fair.

---US V England Halftime--

Oh my god! I was so let down when England scored. What a brilliant goal that early in the game, and Gerrard nailed his first chance. He wasn't gonna miss it. Great goal, but **** I felt embarassed for the US team.

The goal Greene let in was just as embarassing as getting scored on in the first couple minutes though! Totally redeeming feeling for me. But England as a team is looking really really good. I'm scared for the US team in the second half.

Registered User 2010 FIFA World Cup winterborn86's Avatar

I don't follow football in anyway, but I think Spain will win, I've heard good things about them. My dad thinks Argentina will win, but after todays preformance I don't think so, they missed several possible goals, carry on playing like that and they wont get no where. No I didn't watch it but it's kinda hard not to pick things up when your other half is hurling insults at the T.V lol

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

First of all, great performance by USA player, sure, that goal was pure luck, but they did great overall. England let me down big time, team aiming for the top shouldn't play like that, I even lost two euro betting on them, I think I'm gonna sue them for that.

I expect win against Algeria and Slovenia from US, though Slovenia might be a hard nut to crack.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 06-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    First of all, great performance by USA player, sure, that goal was pure luck, but they did great overall. England let me down big time, team aiming for the top shouldn't play like that, I even lost two euro betting on them, I think I'm gonna sue them for that.

I expect win against Algeria and Slovenia from US, though Slovenia might be a hard nut to crack.
    Take this how you will coming from a guy who lives in the US, but I didn't think it was all luck that it went in. Just a lot. Dempsey had some spin and power behind that shot, and with some carelessness and a lot of luck it snuck in.

England's goal was beautiful, but they couldn't do it again. They looked great in the first half but to be honest, I think with how physical the game was, the US were able to throw England off their game in the second half. I even saw some good play from the US, which I saw none of in the first half from them.

I think this game will have more of an impact on England as they take away from the game many yellow cards, and the sense that US can put up such a fight. Maybe they can use this to make some changes for the next match.

The US will be happy with the draw, which is a feat in itself against a giant like England, but how happy can you be when you know the only goal you had was a sort of a fluke?

My favorite part of the game:

Beckham's face says it all. Hahahaha.

Go easy on Greene, England. <3

I feel sickened after that result. If nothing else Capello should be feeling a bit embarrassed at leaving Walcott out after Lennon and Wright Phiilps doing sweet f*ck all all match. As well as choosing Green ahead of Hart. The partnership of Gerrard and Lampard worked well enough, which makes a nice change. If you look at the results in last years confederations cup the result isnt as bad as some in the english media suggest.

Tomorrow I predict wins for Slovenia and Ghana. Germany and Australia will be a draw.
    Winston S.Churchill

Not a bad game if you're not an England fan, but it was really bad on our part. I thought Green wasn't a bad keeper, but he just made one hell of a cockup. I hope we play better than that for the next two.

Overall, most of the team wasn't bad. Rooney was too quiet for my taste. I hate to rely on him too much because he isn't our only good player, but he could have made much more of a difference.

I was really impressed with the USA defence. They were terrific. I think they'll be be happier with the point than we will.

Woh! I was so surprised when Green let that ball in! I was literally yelling at my tv: Huh?! What the fuck?! I think the shot wasn't half bad, but a shot like that should be caught. Certainly for a team like this one, on this level.

@ Chad: Yeah. Bekcham's face was golden. Haha. I feel sorry for Green though. The English press is going to be so tough on him.

Gerrard's goal was indeed amazing. And so early into the game. I thought the USA did pretty well actually. I had expected a better outcome for England.
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 06-12-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Don't know why but for quite some time England's having problems with their goalkeeper's, they all do well in their clubs but not nearly good when they're on the big stage. This wouldn't be the first time an England goalkeeper embarrass himself, remember Robinson against Croatia.

Though I agree with Smurphy, Hart's was definitely a better choice, even though he's not experienced as Green he's definitely in better shape. I think Crouch should have been much earlier in the game, probably instead of Rooney who showed almost nothing for such player, there were lot of high balls, perfect for player like Chrouch.

There was one chance in the England game where Crouch would have been perfect for, since he has such long legs! Shame he wasn't on earlier. I also thought Defoe should have been on earlier, perhaps at half time.
    By the way, why did Carragher come on? The only thing he did was get booked!

I think Carragher came on as a result of Kings fitness. Or lack thereof. I hope King can last all of Englands matches as there isnt too much class in depth in Englands squad.

Has anyone else hit the mute button yet as a result of the vuvuzelas? The drone is driving me bonkers.
    Winston S.Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    Has anyone else hit the mute button yet as a result of the vuvuzelas? The drone is driving me bonkers.
    My girlfriend made me yesterday. It is quite annoying. They should forbid it. I'm guessing they won't.

Tomorrow's matches might turn out to be interesting. Most of those teams I don't know well, so it will be somewhat exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing Australia play against Germany. I don't know if Australia has a big football culture.

EDIT: Alpha is having some difficulties posting himself. This is what he wants to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha
    Australia doesn't have a strong football culture, like New Zealand. But that's not to say we can't hold our own at times.

Case in point: NZ v. Serbia, 29th May, 1-0.

But we don't get riots and spousal abuse when we lose, if that's one way to measure 'football culture'.

Aus v. Germany strikes me as a similar formula to England v. USA. No-one expected that result, and I wouldn't be prepared to write off Australia completely. NZ, less so, but be prepared to be surprised.

Man I wish I could watch these games, but they all screen from between 2am and 6am, and I'm in the middle of exams I only get highlights.
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 06-12-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    Annoying sound, it's like a bunch of mosquitoes buzzing in my room.

German has a rather young team this year, many inexperienced players, not to mention their "best" player was injured in the finals of FA Cup. But then again, it's not like he was in the best shape, they have a decent replacement, it's not that big lost lost as Germans tend to think. Still, anything except win against Australia is surprise in my opinion, Though this Cup has been full of surprises so anything's possible, and Australia is hard nut to crack which they proved in multiple occasions.

I'm cheering for Slovenia today, after all they're my neighbors, they also have a great team, Hiddink should know that the best. Can't say I know anything about Algeria.

Losing from New Zealand was a great lesson to Serbia not to underestimate their opponents, Ghana wont have an easy time against them, especially since Serbia has one of the best defense on this tournament (Vidić, Ivanović, Kolarov), they have excellent midfielders, though their forwards are probably the weakest link in their team. Not to mention that Ghana will have to play without their best player (Essien), so I expect Serbia to win, Ghana can be satisfied with draw.

Blog Entries

Germany to 1-0 Australia for the win. This is gonna be a fun match to watch but I think Australia will fall short while putting up a great fight to the fan favorites.

Serbia to wallop on Ghana 2-0. Vidic carries, and I don't know much about Ghana's team.

Slovenia is going to beat Algeria 2-1. Algeria's team doesn't have that chemistry to get them the win at this point. If a coach pulls out their own captain, then that's not a great sign as far as that team goes.

just my predictions for tomorrow.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sabin Rene Figaro View Post
    YouTube - Footy Footy Footy!

This pretty much describes my thoughts on FIFA.
    You are in the wrong thread man, this is about more serious/relevant discussion about the World Cup. Edit/delete your post please or I'll report it.

EDIT: also, sig check, and go USA!
    Last edited by Rocky; 06-12-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

I think Australia will hold Germany to a draw today to be honest. Either 1-1 or 0-0. I have a feeling the Aussie's will do ok this year. This will be Germany's toughest game in their group.

Slovenia will beat Algeria 2-0 I think. Slovenia isn't a bad team, but neither is Algeria. Slovenia is better to be honest.

And I think Ghana will win today. Probably not by much, I'd say 2-1.

It's quite tough to predict today because they are all good teams. I will be watching them all, naturally

Asking all the personal questions. 2010 FIFA World Cup RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

I think Australia will hold Germany to a draw today to be honest. Either 1-1 or 0-0. I have a feeling the Aussie's will do ok this year. This will be Germany's toughest game in their group.

Slovenia will beat Algeria 2-0 I think. Slovenia isn't a bad team, but neither is Algeria. Slovenia is better to be honest.

And I think Ghana will win today. Probably not by much, I'd say 2-1.

It's quite tough to predict today because they are all good teams. I will be watching them all, naturally
    I hope Australia at least draws with Germany if not a 1-0 win I agree this will be a not to miss game and the toughest in the group they predict that this group will be one of the Death groups.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Quote Originally Posted by RamesesII View Post
    I hope Australia at least draws with Germany if not a 1-0 win I agree this will be a not to miss game and the toughest in the group they predict that this group will be one of the Death groups.
    Not surprised to be honest. After seeing Ghana play just now, and even Serbia, they were both pretty good. I think it could be anyone's group to win.

Algeria and Slovenia was the worst game so far imo. It only started getting good when Slovenia scored, but even then it was too late. I think England and USA will be ok.

Asking all the personal questions. 2010 FIFA World Cup RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

Not surprised to be honest. After seeing Ghana play just now, and even Serbia, they were both pretty good. I think it could be anyone's group to win.

Algeria and Slovenia was the worst game so far imo. It only started getting good when Slovenia scored, but even then it was too late. I think England and USA will be ok.

Haha not wrong there I dare say we will be seeing USA and/or England through haha Group B is a good contender to with Argentina and Nigeria and Korea.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Watched only last 20 min of Ghana against Serbia today, just made in time to see the goal, what newbie mistakes from Luković and the man who replaced him Kuzmanović, it's moronic to hold hands that high in the air in your own box, from what I've see they're lucky they didn't received more goals.

Just had a glance on the other match while I was on diner, I'm not impressed with Slovenia, I though it would b more convincing than this but from what I've heard they played terrible, still I'm satisfied with the result, I cheered for them today.

Haha how wrong was I? Germany beat Australia 4-0! Really surprised at that one, although Australia did play well. Germany were just way better.
    Who else thought that straight red was unfair? Booking? yes. Straight off? No.

I didn't watch that last game, but I was really surprised when I heard it was 2-0. Then 3-0. Then 4-0.

I had expected that Australia would put up a fight. But this score tells me they weren't all that good. Or were they, but not good enough?

I expected Germany to win, just not this convincing. Those goals were simply great, the goalkeeper couldn't do thing about it. That Podolski's one strange plonker, he can't do shit when he plays for his club, which honestly is rare due to his tendency to end up with injury quite often, but when he has his Elf jersey on he does wonders, always had. German showed that they have some young players they can count on in the future, that Müller's quite good player I must say.

Who else thought that straight red was unfair? Booking? yes. Straight off? No.
    Yea, I agree, it was a little bit harsh.

#LOCKE4GOD 2010 FIFA World Cup Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow Australia v. Germany was actually surprising. I mean, the fact that Germany won doesn't surprise me, but with four goals for nothing? I figured Australia would've at least got a consolation. My brother had predicted the 4-0 result as well, and now he's hurt that he didn't place a bet.

Next up New Zealand!!

But I'm not expecting much. 2-1 to Slovakia with a bit of luck. Just watch out for Fallon. At least this one is screening at 11.30pm here -- my guess being that it's an awkward time everywhere else because no-one cares?

EDIT: as a comment on that video says, "Your players make money. Our players make history."
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-13-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast