Thread: Violation of Secularism?

Boxer of the Galaxy Violation of Secularism? Rowan's Avatar

Violation of Secularism?

Now calm down, I know its me. I know I often post about this stuff, but this has a little more room for debate and a little more substance.

metalconcertwhatevabro | Herald Sun

The above article explains everything to a tee. It is an older article but I think it deserves some discussion. Its basically saying that it wants to ban an atheistic concert from playing on one of the most 'sacred' days of the christian year. Now, that in itself would be considered a vile thing to do considering that we are a secular society. However gimmicky they adversed the gig, its not breaking any laws.

anyway. This article pertains to 'easter' or 'good friday'. They wanted to have an atheistic concert and the news got word of this and publisized it as an 'offensive event'. I guess theres not really much else to say than ask the question,

Considering the circumstances, if the government were to shut down this event, would that be in violation of secularism?

I would think so. Would you? why not?

Blog Entries

Re: Violation of Secularism?

However in bad taste that show sounds, it doesn't sound like its breaking any laws. Whatever my personal opinions of the event might be, I would not move to ban their concert from happening. If you're not hurting anyone and you're not forcing this in my face, I don't care what you do. Now, if they were planning to have this event across the street from a church, that would be a very bad plan and would be liable to cause some kind of public disturbance, but it doesn't sound like that's what they were planning.

So yeah; I don't see how it would be in a government's power to stop that show from happening, although in the article one of the officials talks about some anti-liquor law that also covers "offensive images and religious vilification." I dunno; maybe they have far more conservative or PC laws than we do. I don't know that it's a violation of secularism so much as it's anti-religious hate, though. I mean, it's a show that actively mocks the Christian religion and traditions, on one of the most important days of the Christian calendar. The article said the state also moved to stop a kickboxing tournament on Mother's Day, "Mother's Day Mayhem." Mother's Day has nothing to do with religion (right?) so I think it has less to do with religion and more to do with making sure people aren't offended by anything. So the government doesn't seem to be paying special close attention to the church's interests here is what I'm getting at. Sounds like they'd take the same measures if other religions were in danger of being offended. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom