Thread: The use of offensive words as slang.

Mystyrion

The use of offensive words as slang.

I really didn't know how to coin this topic so, I apologize.
    And I realize this may be a touchy subject for some, I don't intend to offend anyone, I just want opinions. So again if you find anything I say offensive, I'm sorry.

The title stems from using the offensive words to a particular race, gender, sexual preference, religion, etc.
    Words like Gay, Fag, Jew'd, The N word, Ginger, etc.

Now my question is, is it okay to use these words in a non contextual way that doesn't reference the actual meaning of the word or in other words using the slang meaning.

For Example: On July 5th a friend posted on Facebook that he disliked Fireworks and they kept him up late, which resulted in a lack of sleep for work the next day.
    I simply posted that Fireworks are gay and my explanation on why they were gay. Gay of course meaning lame or stupid.
    Two female posters then immediately posted after I used the word Gay immediately attacking me, saying that I had no respect for the gay community and I was being very disrespectful. Something along the line of me treating them like a second class citizen.

I realize that they may have overreacted to the subject at hand. Obviously coming out and bashing someone who meant no harm isn't the best way to get me to apologize for what I just said.
    I responded with something along the lines of "I'm sorry to have offended you, but the context in which I used the word was in no way referencing the gay community at all and that I was using the slang meaning of the word which meant lame or stupid."
    They responded that if its not in the dictionary then its not a real definition. I pointed out that the slang definition of the word was actually in the largest online dictionary of the English language. The conversation stemmed into one of them posting about how they get treated like a second class citizen, I pointed out that their opinions aren't valued any lower or higher than mine and reminded them that I meant it in no harm and left the conversation at that.

I'm not necessarily saying that I'm right in the conversation I stated above with those women, I just wanted your opinion.
    Last edited by Mystyrion; 11-03-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Ayyye The use of offensive words as slang. Lacquer Head's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Words are words, only people give them power. I find people that get butthurt over words used out of context disgusting. I'm a strong believer in freedom of speech and I find it selfish that people try to suppress language while simultaneously calling fowl on their beliefs being suppressed. Even if the context IS hateful, it still shouldn't be suppressed. Though bigots disgust me, I will defend their right to speak their mind to the death.

People are just selfish and want the world to revolve around their morals, be it anti gay or pro gay. How bout we all stfu and get over stupid bullshit. I have the same problem with specific activism, like feminism or gay rights. They'll talk about their own rights but ignore other suffrage. How bout we all just campaign for HUMAN rights?

Sorry I went on a rant there >_> I've been talked down to and insulted my whole life, but I don't get offended by a ****ing word, that's moronic. It's always fun to tell people that start that shit that you're gay or bi or something, you get to see them scramble for a half assed plan b.

Before some one tries to say I don't know what it's like to be gay or whatever, I don't believe in such strict views on sexuality, we all find different things attractive, and if the thought of GENDER turns you off...well that's just silly. IE Idgaf about gender, I'll bang anything that looks sexy. Be sure to keep glass end tables away from me...

tl;dr if you want the rights to talk about your views, you better accept people that have differing views.

The Mad God The use of offensive words as slang. Heartless Angel's Avatar
    Words are just sounds that we've arbitrarily attached definitions to. If the target understands the meaning the speaker intended to convey, a word can mean whatever the **** you want it to. You used gay as a slang that did not have the meaning which people had a legitimate reason to take offense to (they might have reason to take offense to the fact that gay became a negative slang to begin with, but that's another issue). I have one relatively close lesbian friend who calls things gay all the time, she actually gets annoyed when tolerance nazis get butthurt about people using the word that way. Was rather amusing when some hipster moron started trying to lecture her about tolerance of the gay community one time when she called something gay, because her girlfriend was also present. So after that kid got through with his tirade, we all just kinda laughed at him, I don't think he ever figured out why.

But yeah, my usual response to people who get butthurt about the word gay used as slang, when their primary complaint is that the "actual definition" is homosexuality, I like to point out that happy or overly colorful and showy is also an "actual definition" for gay, and since you already had to completely ignore the context of my statement to make your case, you really have no argument to say that I was using the 'actual definition" you're getting butthurt about anyways.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Boxer of the Galaxy The use of offensive words as slang. Rowan's Avatar
    I think the reason why a person should be offended is if the intention of the person was to offend them. I hate fragile little betsies who makea fuss over something that was unintentional/conventional when it comes to speaking a language. Although im not without my principles. Because of the kind of people I use to hang around, the word "fag" and "gay" were used in derogitory ways to describe things we had a dislike to. I was hanging out with my friends one of whom happens to be homosexual, and made a mention of something being 'gay'. I addresed myself as being inconsiderate but my friend said that it really didnt bother him. Although he says it doesnt, I always make the effor tto be concious of what im saying when im around him. The reason he said it didnt bother him (im guessing) is that he doesnt want me to have to think or act differently just on his account. I suppose it would make one feel like a burden? I dont know. I guess all im saying, is that as long as people are considerate of each other, simple things like this should never be a problem. unless you are intentionally trying to offend someone, if someone takes offence well then they can just go and **** themselves.

Bananarama The use of offensive words as slang. Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's political correctness run amok. Words are words and there's a difference between calling something gay, and calling a homosexual a faggot. One is just, at best, misguided slang, where as the other is used in a derogatory manner with an intent to offend.

It doesn't make it right, but words only have the meaning that you give them. I'm actually in the same boat as Rowan with this. I'll tend to be much more vigilant of what I say when I'm surrounded by people who I may offend. One time I dropped an n bomb in reference to the black people who lived next to us. Didn't realize our black friend was behind me, and that earned me a smack to the back of the head. I can't justify using the word, but I couldn't think of any other term for the black equivalent of white trash.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Registered User The use of offensive words as slang. sayian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Key word is CONTEXT... say it how you mean it and that should be comprehensively takin by some one, but with common sense. cant really speak for everybody. when it out of context then the true meaning of that word is irrelevant. and just like lacquer said "words are words, only people give them power"..

take my quote for example.

"its all shits n giggles until sombody giggles n shits"

shits and giggles said out of context and then right back into context in the same sentence simply because when you giggle and SHIT, it aint shits and giggles nomore..
    ok keep on, its all shits n giggles until sombody giggles n shits....

Everyone needs a savior The use of offensive words as slang. the_savior21's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The use of offensive words as slang.

Its hard to say anything these days without somebody getting offended. What makes it more difficult is that people that are defined by a word will use it in an unyielding fashion and then chastise others for saying it. My point being African Americans who use the N word. Granted not all of the people of this ethnicity do so but many of the people where im from do. They think its their right to decide who can and can't use certain words. This is the type of things that really gets of goin.

Personally i use the term gay to describe thing as something that i believe is going to be boring or dumb. That doesn't mean i associate boring and dumb with the gay population. One of my girlfriends best friends is gay and he is fun to be around. At one point calling gay people gay was in fact a slang term in itself the fact is people get hurt feelings much to easily in todays day and age for the most minuscule and ridiculous reasons. America has the right of free speech for a reason.
    Don't look to others for knowledge, this is your story.

PSN: jwitt2123
    be sure to include in the request that you are from
    this forum and also ur username on here, if you intend
    to add me that is thanks

Currently playing
    FFIX- PSP via PSN, COD Black Ops (Zombies) - PS3

Most Played FF = FFVIII
    FF7-12, FF8-28, FF9-12, FFX-23

Every story must have an ending and every story needs a savior

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. The use of offensive words as slang. noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My sister's gay. I get aggravated when people tell me she's wrong for being gay, it's not right, God hates Gay people, whatever. One of my friends kept talking about it and I nearly bashed his skull in. Whatever. Anywho, I say gay. I call my sister gay. I poke fun and ask her "God. Why are you such a lezbo?" lol

Now. As far as the "n" word. Meh. I -might- say "nukka" screwing around and only to certain people. Some black dude sent me a message and asked me if I date "n***as". To which I responded, I don't date those. I date -men-. If you're going to refer to yourself in -that- context, IMO, it means you're inherently ghetto, low-class, and uneducated - regardless of what race you are. And I'm not lowering my standards for that bs. Not saying that's really the case, it's just something I thought up recently.

And to clarify, the N word means "Uneducated" in a nutshell. The main reason it's offensive is because the slave owners Way Back When used the term in reference to the slaves. If it's wrong to say the N word with the -er attached (which is what most black folks get pissed off over, from what I've seen), then it should -also- be wrong to say it with just an -a. No offense to anyone (obviously). Just an observation.

Also realize this is old, but i'm bored (again) and have a few minutes to kill before work.

Bananarama The use of offensive words as slang. Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The way I see the word nigger, as I've said before, is the black equivalent of "white trash". I know it has a lot more weight to it, and is largely considered a huge nono, but at the same time, I think that Chris Rock said it best. You have black people, and then niggers, just like you have Hispanic people and spics, or white people and white trash. It's just a derogatory term, but you can't possibly take anyone who refers to themselves in those negative terms seriously.
    Last edited by Pete; 02-10-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. The use of offensive words as slang. noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Exactly. I -don't- take that stuff seriously. Hence the reason I don't date guys who refer to themselves as a "*****". They're not taking themselves seriously and IMO they're ghetto, uneducated, and low class.

Niger is a bad word, but Niga isn't. Niga means gangster, thug, homie and stuff like that. It's slang now. Hey, if Tupac or any other rappers use it, then why can't we? Now ***** is used throughout the music industry, so it's completely ok to be used, but you might get a reaction if use it near blacks. Then just tell them MTV taught me and if it finds it acceptable, so do I.

Also, most people usually take things in the worst possible way, because they're dumb, insecure and self lacking. That's why getting reactions is a common sight for any word.
    Last edited by Odin1199; 03-22-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Registered User The use of offensive words as slang. Sarshan's Avatar
    It doesn't matter what the context is, odds are somebody will take offense.

In my personal experience, I always opt for vocabulary that is as non-offensive as possible (sometimes near impossible because pleasing everybody is hard work)

Also, if people are looking to the definition of things, "Gay" used to mean "merry" or "carefree" . . how people have twisted the meaning of so many things in this day and age...

Mega Fun Deathbringer The use of offensive words as slang. yinyangNick's Avatar
    I think the uproar over certain words these days, is a shameful reflection on society.

I understand that words can hurt, but the only way you can allow words to hurt you is if you give the words power, or if the word or words are intended to cause harm. Here's one homosexual who doesn't give a shit if you call something "gay" as I often describe things in such a way myself. People who act immaturely in my circle of friends, I have no qualms about jokingly saying "quit it, faggot" or "don't be such a Jew."

Words have meanings and intent, the only way we should censor the use of words is if they are used extremely hatefully, but if they're meant in a jestful manner, then carry on.
    Don't worry about anything in life, it won't mean shit when you're in a coffin.

Registered User The use of offensive words as slang. HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You know I've always been a supporter of using crude and indecent words that everyone will takes offense to. I use the words simply because I know it frustrates people sometimes. Granted, I'm not going about saying all these things for no reason. I only do it to bother people who are already bothering other people. I don't think people should take nearly as much offense to the things I say but respect the ones that do given the scenario.

First of all, it's never in good custom to say anything you feel is offensive around someone you're just meeting for the first time. That should be common sense but people don't seem to view it that way anymore and that's part of the problem. People wouldn't take offense to "bad words" as much if we'd not use them so damn much. (Heh, see what I did there?)

Second, before using a word, do everyone a favor and know what it actually means before you say it. The whole "I saw it on TV so it's okay" stance was lost to me since grade school when I was gettin' my butt spanked for trying to use such an excuse. If you can't mind your own tounge under the idea that if it's on tv it's okay, you may need to do some soul searching.

Thirdly, don't take offense to words when you don't know the intention behind them. As we've already covered from the beginning of this topic, words can have multiple meanings and intentions behind them. If someone were to say something was gay, and you legitimately didn't know that they just meant they disagreed with something then A) You're really lacking perception points or B) You're just taking it out of context because you want to be a douchenozzle about it.

We all could use some rethinking about why we use said words and why they offend us so. Personally, a word's just a word to me. It won't offend me, and provided I know ya pretty well, I'll continue to use all the offensive I dialogue I choose. Don't take offense to words folks, and stay in school...

Banned The use of offensive words as slang.
    I'm with Nick on this, 200%. When you get uptight about the use of a word, you impower that word in a negative context, and feed hatered, racism, or sexism, whatever the case may be. Black people have disarmed the N Word by giving it a new, positive context. They took ownership away sub-human, racist pieces of shit.

We ALL have to do the same. I'm french-Lithuanian with some Irish and a dash of pre-Nazi German. I won't chew you up for making white flag, or BO jokes... Most stereotypes exist for a reason...

Are Jewish people greedy and cheap? No, because that's poor wording. A lot of Jewish people are financially efficient. They value success, and stability for their family and it's future..

Why is that bad? That sort of thinking is folly and covertly racist in of itself.

Let go. Stop letting hatered win the day. Disarm the hate, embrace our flaws and stereotypes. You might find it liberating.

~ AUTO-MERGED POSTS ~

I'm with Nick on this, 200%. When you get uptight about the use of a word, you impower that word in a negative context, and feed hatered, racism, or sexism, whatever the case may be. Black people have disarmed the N Word by giving it a new, positive context. They took ownership away sub-human, racist pieces of shit.

We ALL have to do the same. I'm french-Lithuanian with some Irish and a dash of pre-Nazi German. I won't chew you up for making white flag, or BO jokes... Most stereotypes exist for a reason...

Are Jewish people greedy and cheap? No, because that's poor wording. A lot of Jewish people are financially efficient. They value success, and stability for their family and it's future..

Why is that bad? That sort of thinking is folly and covertly racist in of itself.

Let go. Stop letting hatered win the day. Disarm the hate, embrace our flaws and stereotypes. You might find it liberating.