Thread: Loving Anyone A Lot Makes You Hate Everyone A Little

Loving Anyone A Lot Makes You Hate Everyone A Little

Interesting paradox. When you have passion in your heart for someone very deeply, your emotional reactions increase in response to things you dislike, as well.

For example: Jealousy is more deeply felt if you have been with someone for a long time, but I imagine there's a curve to it over time, where it dissipates or is resolved to the relationship's benefit.

I don't really know; few can stand me. But what about you? Have you ever cared so much for someone that you began to cross the wires in your head and somehow, the fear of losing them or the fiery repartee between you makes you nurse a little bit of bitterness in your heart, and you get a little sadder and a little wiser?

Once I had a love and it was a gas, soon turned out to be a pain in the ass.
    "I find this all to be highly inappropriate."

Bananarama Loving Anyone A Lot Makes You Hate Everyone A Little Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think that's more of a love vs lust or trust vs infatuation.

Before a relationship is even a real thing, there's that whole courting phase where everything is fresh and new, and you still don't really know each other. The highs are that much higher and the lows are even worse. You don't really know their circle of friends and even though you're not anything official, you hope that they're not seeing anyone else.

I think it's more that once you get over the hump and get into a steady relationship, things come easier and you're less likely to be frustrated and bothered by things. Obviously there are red flags and things that are bad news, but not every relationship is like that.

I've experienced enough to have gone through all sorts of phases in relationships. I've noticed that the courting phases were always the most intensely felt. I think it has to do with the idea of the promise of something new and the idea of maybe this will be the one. Anything taking away from that is seen as a threat and treated as such until proven otherwise.

I don't know as much about experiencing profound jealousy while in a relationship. I had one girlfriend get caught with a hickey on her neck, which wasn't from me. I didn't feel jealous, I felt betrayed and pissed. I was more mad that she would flaunt her grimy new boyfriends around me, but I think that's a normal reaction.

I had another girlfriend where I was actually the other guy. I didn't realize that until after the fact. She wound up having a long distance boyfriend before me, and we kind of overlapped for a while. After a while, it was brought to my attention that she had an online dating profile. I wasn't mad, but I started to distance myself and play Skyrim like a fiend. We drifted for a month or two, stopped calling and texting and both kind of just ended it. She tried to make me jealous afterwards but it just annoyed me.

I think that if you have such strong feelings for someone but are that prone to jealousy, it's a problem with trust. After you develop trust over time, the jealousy fades
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Loving Anyone A Lot Makes You Hate Everyone A Little che's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Interesting paradox. When you have passion in your heart for someone very deeply, your emotional reactions increase in response to things you dislike, as well.

For example: Jealousy is more deeply felt if you have been with someone for a long time, but I imagine there's a curve to it over time, where it dissipates or is resolved to the relationship's benefit.

I don't really know; few can stand me. But what about you? Have you ever cared so much for someone that you began to cross the wires in your head and somehow, the fear of losing them or the fiery repartee between you makes you nurse a little bit of bitterness in your heart, and you get a little sadder and a little wiser?

Once I had a love and it was a gas, soon turned out to be a pain in the ass.
    Any of the times I was in love, I never noticed an increase in hating anyone. In fact, if you think of old people who have been married for 60 years, you'll realize that they appreciate people more for being different vs hating them. Hating them and being jealous is a young man's game. Now I know, school starts tomorrow, but keep your chin up. This won't be your first girlfriend. She def cheated on you, though. That bitch...

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Registered User Loving Anyone A Lot Makes You Hate Everyone A Little Anastar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think that if you have such strong feelings for someone but are that prone to jealousy, it's a problem with trust. After you develop trust over time, the jealousy fades
    I would agree with you there, Pete. If the love is real, then trust comes along with it. Jealousy comes with infatuation, trust comes with love.

However, there is an "in between phase" - I'll call it that for lack of anything better to call it. Right now, I'm involved with a man but I simply don't know him well enough personally to know for sure whether or not he can be trusted. We've talked a lot on the phone and online, but we've only met a few times. I have every reason to trust him, but... how can I know for sure that it's real? It takes time and honesty and communication. But I think love will come when I no longer have any doubts.

"Even if they’re dead, their consciousness is still with us. As for Cloud…he sees Aerith several
    times throughout the film. It’s not that he sees her because he feels her presence. He sees her
    because her consciousness…lives on inside him."
    ~Nomura, Distance Interview

Blog Entries
    And that's a perfectly safe and normal approach to that. You have to spend a fair amount of time with a person, in person to really get a feel for their character. Anyone can be anyone online or through text, but you can't really fake sincerity in person, unless they're a complete sociopath.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

There's an even simpler expression of what I was getting at last August

...Loving someone makes you protective of them, and you hate those who would or do hurt them. ...Hm...

Boxer of the Galaxy Loving Anyone A Lot Makes You Hate Everyone A Little Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastar View Post
    I would agree with you there, Pete. If the love is real, then trust comes along with it. Jealousy comes with infatuation, trust comes with love.
    Poetic garbage.
    If a partner betrays that trust, does that me neither one was ever in 'love'?
    excuse the salt.

Blog Entries
    Rowan, any number of possibilities are in order.

If a partner betrays a trust, then they're just garbage people. I would prefer a partner just to be upfront with me, telling me it's not working and that they want to see other people. Then again, I've both cheated (once I learned I was being cheated on) and been cheated on, so I'm no wizard.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

Boxer of the Galaxy Loving Anyone A Lot Makes You Hate Everyone A Little Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Rowan, any number of possibilities are in order.

If a partner betrays a trust, then they're just garbage people. I would prefer a partner just to be upfront with me, telling me it's not working and that they want to see other people. Then again, I've both cheated (once I learned I was being cheated on) and been cheated on, so I'm no wizard.
    Don't doubt yourself,

You're a brilliant wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Don't doubt yourself,

You're a brilliant wizard.
    Indeed, the wizard who did it, in fact.

I don't let the two mix in my life. If I love something, I love something. If I hate something, I hate it. Love, hate, and neutral are my three choices for things.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the fuck these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a fuck about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a Fuck About Us"