Thread: Kony 2012

Boxer of the Galaxy Kony 2012 Rowan's Avatar

Kony 2012

On Kony 2012: I honestly wanted to stay as far away as possible from KONY 2012, the latest fauxtivist fad sweeping the web (remember “change your Facebook profile pic to stop child abuse”?), but you clearly won’t stop sending me that damn video until I say something about it, so here goes:

Stop sending me that video.

The organization behind Kony 2012 — Invisible Children Inc. — is an extremely shady nonprofit that has been called ”misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous” by a Yale political science professor, and has been accused by Foreign Affairs of “manipulat[ing] facts for strategic purposes.” They have also been criticized by the Better Business Bureau for refusing to provide information necessary to determine if IC meets the Bureau’s standards.

Additionally, IC has a low two-star rating in accountability from Charity Navigator because they won’t let their financials be independently audited. That’s not a good thing. In fact, it’s a very bad thing, and should make you immediately pause and reflect on where the money you’re sending them is going.

By IC’s own admission, only 31% of all the funds they receive go toward actually helping anyone [pdf]. The rest go to line the pockets of the three people in charge of the organization, to pay for their travel expenses (over $1 million in the last year alone) and to fund their filmmaking business (also over a million) — which is quite an effective way to make more money, as clearly illustrated by the fact that so many can’t seem to stop forwarding their well-engineered emotional blackmail to everyone they’ve ever known.

And as far as what they do with that money:

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.

Let’s not get our lines crossed: The Lord’s Resistance Army is bad news. And Joseph Kony is a very bad man, and needs to be stopped. But propping up Uganda’s decades-old dictatorship and its military arm, which has been accused by the UN of committing unspeakable atrocities and itself facilitated the recruitment of child soldiers, is not the way to go about it.

The United States is already plenty involved in helping rout Kony and his band of psycho sycophants. Kony is on the run, having been pushed out of Uganda, and it’s likely he will soon be caught, if he isn’t already dead. But killing Kony won’t fix anything, just as killing Osama bin Laden didn’t end terrorism. The LRA might collapse, but, as Foreign Affairs points out, it is “a relatively small player in all of this — as much a symptom as a cause of the endemic violence.”

Myopically placing the blame for all of central Africa’s woes on Kony — even as a starting point — will only imperil many more people than are already in danger.

Sending money to a nonprofit that wants to muck things up by dousing the flames with fuel is not helping. Want to help? Really want to help? Send your money to nonprofits that are putting more than 31% toward rebuilding the region’s medical and educational infrastructure, so that former child soldiers have something worth coming home to.

Here are just a few of those charities. They all have a sparkling four-star rating from Charity Navigator, and, more importantly, no interest in airdropping American troops armed to the teeth into the middle of a multi-nation tribal war to help one madman catch another.

The bottom line is, research your causes thoroughly. Don’t just forward a random video to a stranger because a mass murderer makes a five-year-old “sad.” Learn a little bit about the complexities of the region’s ongoing strife before advocating for direct military intervention.

There is no black and white in the world. And going about solving important problems like there is just serves to make all those equally troubling shades of gray invisible.

-src - Thedailywh.at

So after having read that I decided to shorten into one sentence.

The mastermind of Kony 2012 is masquarading under a veil of righteousness in order to turn a profit from the concerned public.

So I guess what my question here is ,

whilst raising awareness has caused the american government to decide to aid Uganda in helping bring down Kony, does it justify the fact this is done to fill the pockets of 'invisible children inc'?

Blog Entries

Re: Kony 2012

I thought the US already had troops in Uganda looking for Kony before this video went viral?

The whole thing is stupid. Joseph Kony was not a household name outside of Uganda and the Sudan, but now that he is, nothing will change. The people who did know of him (the ICC, for example) were and are actively searching for him and to bring him to justice. Now that John Smith, 37, of Wagga Wagga, knows about Joseph Kony is not going to change anything.

Moreover, as your post explains, the video is misleading. Ignorance is better than misinformation in this case. The situation has only been harmed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I thought the US already had troops in Uganda looking for Kony before this video went viral?
    We do.

Cue next presidential candidate to use Uganda to try to get elected. I wouldn't really be surprised, anyway, as many people that watched the video that have NO concept of trying to research into something before putting 100% of their support behind it.

Not to be changing the subject or anything, but the way my entire Facebook feed reacted is exactly why I think the U.S. has shitty politicians and shitty voters.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries

He's been around and doing this shit for over ten years, why does everyone care NOW? I feel like it's just the new fad for people to care about something so they can feel good about themselves and feel connected to a cause. Sure it's a noble thing to do, wanting to help, but it's the same thing as those Livestrong bracelets or everyone caring for Darfur.

The fact of the matter is that people are easily led, and with things like facebook and the twitter, people can blast out these videos and messages and really get out a feeling of "you're an asshole if you don't give us money." With enough people joining the groups for the cause, it's hard to dispute millions of people, in theory, calling for some kind of action. The other thing is that when a powerful video like that is out, a lot of people feel guilty and decide to donate simply out of guilt, and seeing the thousands of other comments.

I don't believe that it's a justification. It's certainly wrong of them to use the funds for anything other than aid for the Ugandan people, which, if the articles hold true, seems unlikely. But I suppose it's a good thing to have light shone on the situation so that the rest of the world knows what's going on. Do I agree with the fact that the American government looks like it's getting involved? I suppose that's another story. Isn't that what the UN is for?

On top of that, doesn't America have enough problems and atrocities within our own borders and within our own political system that need fixing before we go off to save the world?
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

It's nothing new Pete, people have always wanted a conflict to cling to so they could have that feeling they did something good, or they in some way helped.

I agree the cause is just, I simply don't believe a positive outcome is possible. Are we going back in 2013 to take power from his replacement, how about the other countries in Africa going through the exact same situation? You're putting out one grass fire with the entire forest going down behind your back.

Such a western idea that we can shape the world to meet our desires. Does anyone honestly think we're going to go into Africa with our morality, way of life, resources and think we're going to give them all the freedom and comforts we have? Forget about the logistics behind it which make doing such a thing nearly impossible, there are simply not enough resources to go around to bring the standard of living up to what we are gifted with for those who are suffering. Are you going to give up 50% of what you have so someone else can have an equal amount of mediocrity? Honestly...I think I would, but I don't think the majority would do the same if it actually came down to it.

Registered User Kony 2012 Halie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the video is a really good thing. It made me cry. I've known about Invisible Children for a while but I won't donate to them. I'd rather volunteer over there in a couple of years instead, that way I know my money will actually be helping and not going towards something I don't want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    He's been around and doing this shit for over ten years, why does everyone care NOW?
    Because nobody knew. I didn't know about Joseph Kony. I knew about the Invisible Children charity but I didn't know who was behind it or exactly what was happening because nobody ever told me. I knew exactly what was going on in Brad Pitt and Angelina's life last week but I didn't know about Joseph Kony because the media doesn't care about more important things like this, they care about what some celebrity is wearing. But this video is letting us know, so why is it a bad thing?

I don't think the US Government will do anything. It would be brilliant if they did, but why would they? What's in it for them?

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xana
    I don't think the US Government will do anything. It would be brilliant if they did, but why would they? What's in it for them?
    The US government is only interested in other worldly matters if it directly influences them. I'm not taking the moral high ground here as I doubt the UK would do much either, but it's true. Everyone is out for themselves and getting their own shit together to worry about the mistreatment of children around the world.

Even today on the way to and from work, the RSPCA people were out in the street trying to get people to sign up and donate money to them for the animals. I was cornered five times in three minutes, and not once stopped because I was running late for work. And no one else did either. People, including me, are simply ignorant of what's going on around us. We're aware of the starving kids in Africa, and HIV/AIDS, domestic abuse, etc... but we never go out of our way to see or listen to what's going on. One person does do something (out of their own ignorance, mind) to help and they get slated for it?

I saw the video, and I do think it had that typical American over-dramatic atmosphere, but it conveyed more of a message than I think the RSPCA people on the street would have done. I don't think it was a bad message though.

As for why people didn't care sooner? Did you watch the video? Do you ignore the commercials on TV which clearly show the crap going on in other countries? Ignorance is bliss. I'm not saying you should donate (I don't and probably wouldn't), but at least listen and gather an understanding. We're all and only human.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Blog Entries

What do you mean, something posted on the internet has an agenda and isn't solely for the good of the people? I did watch the video, mainly because it's been literally everywhere on the internet so it's kind of hard to avoid. Then I popped over to the writing forum I frequent to see what they had to say and found the links to the financial stuff. The next time someone linked it I shared it on my FB with one of the links in the hopes that someone else might read it but eh, I'm not going out of my way. While I don't really agree with their stance on direct military involvement and I dislike their lack of transparency regarding finances, I do support the removal of Kony from power.

I guess it's good that it's stirring people from their general apathy but I also note that ICC is making damn good use of how lazy people are. "Here, go plaster this link everywhere" is way easier than requiring people to actually, you know, do anything. I think it's incredibly naive of people to think that just spreading the video around will have any tangible effect. Now, if you could get a terrorist or warlord or whatever to start trolling such efforts and then find him from that it would be a different matter.
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Blog Entries

the real issue is that no matter who you put in to replace him, the problems will still arise. One installed leader will just either rise to power or some rebel group will come in and assume power. This group will be opposed and will commit their own atrocities until they get replaced. Its unfortunate but until people can be properly educated in terms of human rights and just being civilized, nothing will change.

Its a novel idea that these guys have, but they seem very shady with how they spend their donations, with like 60+% going to their pockets.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Registered Goober Kony 2012 Order's Avatar

Ugandan people dont want foreign intervention. We should nit force it on them.

Who gives a shit who Lame Kids, or whatever is. If you want to be charitable, donate to unicef or join the peace corps.

If you want to shout about a just cause involving genocide, shout about Darfur. Those people have been begging for military intervention for a decade.

Now you know what to think.
    You're welcome.

Whilst I don't agree with everything IC does, they have raised awareness of Kony. The problems comes when everyone that watches it believes everything IC say. I can say that I hadn't heard of him before this video and having watched this video has lead to me reading up on him both through Invisible Children and through articles criticising them and their methods.
    They have released a piece detailing all their expenditures and explain that the reason they're 2 star is because they have only 3 directors not 4, and that they are audited yearly.

Basically, I don't agree with them as a whole but raising awareness can't hurt.

First of all, Xana, its you own fault you dont know much about small, third world countries. Not that Id think less of anyone for never hearing of Uganda. Who gives a shit?
    Thats the problem though, your first incling of whay Uganda is came from this Kony video. Which is produced by millionaires associated with the government of a country full of starving children.
    Honestly, of you actually gave a shit (which you dont and I dont think less of you for) you would get on national geographic and look up what they say about that area of the world.
    Belive me. There is worse than Kony.
    Maybe you dont want to know. It wont change your life. Maybe at best, it would change some nievety.
    Look up national geographics documentary on Darfur.
    If you thought that raggid ass Kony video was emotional, you will discover a new range of emotions.
    An there is no script or clever wording, because its a documentary.

Well, then...
    Spreading the video could hurt. The Ugandan people dont want foreign intervention which the video requests. Specifically, US security advisors.

Did any of you wonder why security advisors?
    They dont train police to tackle dope dealers.
    They train armies in doing army shit.
    In the United States a "Security Advisor" is part of the DoD.

That'd be military intervention.
    Which the people dont want.

Seriously, for all the wonderfull statistics people of every nation know about our exemplory federal system and the toughest service in the world.
    People have no idea what they're talking about.

In the future, watch out for key phrases associated with US gov't. There are many and I wont list them, but things like "advisor" does not mean one person. That'd be a whole mess of guns surrounding one person with a brain made of counter-insurgency.

Once again, now you know what to think.
    Youre welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    The Ugandan people dont want foreign intervention which the video requests. Specifically, US security advisors.
    Did you know there have been US troops in Uganda with the purpose of finding Kony before?

Obama Takes on the LRA | Foreign Affairs

Tezcat, yes I know the US has been active there as well as plenty if other easily overlooked places.
    Also, if I didnt know before, I could have read it earlier in this very thread.

It doesnt change a thing that I stated. Specifically,
    Screw Uganda and most of africa.
    If they dont have natural resources for sale, I dont want my country involved. At least, not until we can get this tax situation settled.
    Why is 40% of my tax going toward social programs??
    I thought this was a capitalist country!

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by Xana View Post
    I think the video is a really good thing. It made me cry. I've known about Invisible Children for a while but I won't donate to them. I'd rather volunteer over there in a couple of years instead, that way I know my money will actually be helping and not going towards something I don't want it to.
    "Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on funding ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse."

From here
    The Educated Field Negro, We got trouble.

This is also a good read
    Benn Jordan » Kony Madness

Let's all look back to Rawanda to see what the west allowed to happen. You want to talk about atrocities, how's the withdrawal of forces and aid when being fully aware of what was about to occur. I hope no one here is unaware about what took place, but if you are the numbers and timeframe in which it took place is mind numbing.

Why is this particular case getting so much limelight? Small fish here folks, sad but true. The scale of intervention necessary to change Africa as a whole simply does not exist. I imagine US and Russian forces would have to group together just to put a dent in it, and even then it's going to take several generations of education and shaping moral individuals to be self sufficient.

Africa is a blood for blood continent. It is just like the middle east.
    My ancestors were raped and pillaged, so I will rape and pillage them.

There is a common theme which is timeless among humans,
    A need for a cause.
    A war, a struggle, a vendetta, revenge, rising against an opressor of either ourselves or of others.

I know my cause has been to succeed in the system without becoming a victim or an abuser.
    Everyone has a cause.

Now you know what to think.

I found it funny how most of my friends were all into the Kony 2012 the day it went viral and the hype died down after a few days. I do find it annoying how random "Kony 2012" comments keep appearing on almost every YouTube video. What I do commend the video for doing is tapping the emotions of its audience by its artistic presentation and being able to spread its message quickly albeit insufficiently researched. It can only go so far though. It doesn't help Uganda that there are misinformed people coming to help and find out that the Ugandans are in a recovering stage. There's more to the situation than what we saw on the 30 minute video. What they are more focused on is rebuilding and getting better education, healthcare, etc. Kony and the LRA is the least of their worries since, as everyone mentioned, that he hasn't been there in years.

As Teddy Ruge said, "What will a $30 kit do? Did I ask you to sell my story for an action kit to make uninformed college students feel good?"

Didn't know that Kony hasn't been real active since 06, but I did hate that video. They were talking to the kid in the beginning, and were all like, "Really? This actually happens? That's terrible! We need to stop this!!! DDDX"

Evil will never leave the Earth. There is no such thing as world peace. Yeah, this Kony guy is bad news, but what of the anarchy in Somalia? Or how rape is commonplace in the Congo? Or how women are stoned in the Middle East for being raped, or as they put it, "defiled"? I mean, come on. Are people really this ignorant to all the atrocities that happen in other countries? Maybe the family I grew up in was just more politically active and more informed about the world than other families.

This is why I never get involved in political activism. At the end of the day, no one really cares, nothing changes, and these "causes" are placed back on the shelf to be forgotten about after a few months. At the very least though, I guess, people become aware of such things, and realized how blessed they are to be living in a country that has internet, talk radio, television, air conditioning, and have police that actually do their job (even if they do annoy some of us with traffic tickets and drug possession charges).

Traitors Can't Hide. Kony 2012 Phoenix Rising's Avatar

I think America has ignored Africa for far too long, however, probably for different reasons than most people here. With the rise of Chinese influence in the region, there are very legitimate reasons to be concerned. Kony hasn't posed a threat in around 10 years and one would be hard pressed to argue that the current government of Uganda is dedicated to peace, human rights and democracy. I thought this whole "Kony 2012" thing was dead, but then yesterday I saw a sign while driving down the highway AND another sign in my own neighborhood. I find it hilarious watching these bleeding heart liberals pretend they care about atrocities in Africa and subjects on which they have no knowledge. Liberals scream for American intervention in Uganda, Libya, Syria and everywhere else, while at the same time condemning Afghanistan and Iraq.