Thread: The Japanese response to the terrorists

chocolateer The Japanese response to the terrorists 01habbo's Avatar

The Japanese response to the terrorists

This thread is inspired by this article.

Japanese Twitter Users Stand Up to ISIS with...a Photoshop Meme

My question is this right way to deal with things? It's such a sensitive subject and to be honest I'm on the fence as both sides has a very valid argument. On the one hand it is argued that the terrorists control us with fear, and without that fear they have nothing, these hostages will get killed whether people make fun of them or not. I think they have a sense of empowerment by making these memes.

Of course there is the other side whether this is too insensitive to the hostages and their families. Whether this is going too far. After all this is not a laughing matter, peoples lives are at stake, and this has become a worldwide problem that everyone needs to deal with. I have to say here that not all the Japanese are happy with the memes and some do think it is too insensitive.

I am really on the fence about this, I don't want the Japanese to be afraid and more respect to them if they feel empowered, but this shouldn't be treated insensitively either.

So what do you guys think? Are you for or against the memes? Or are you on the fence? Please be respectful of others as this is a sensitive subject.

Truth be told, I don't think the ISIS cares. It has a mission, a holy war to fight and it doesn't matter if people are afraid or not. This is just a small stunt for them compared to the missions they're doing. I think they care more about killing or dying on the battlefield somewhere and pleasing Allah than being humiliated by some twitter nerds from Japan.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, we all know what happens when the media makes a joke out of terrorism. Charlie Hebdo earlier this year suffered a massacre because their belief of freedom of speech angered the wrong people. I think it's important to not allow our countries become frightened of terrorism, but it's also not something we should be joking too much about either. And I don't think those pictures are funny, or really help?

Using pictures of Mohammed for example, would anger the wrong people, and might upset people we don't realise we're hurting. I have a few Muslim friends who are pretty laid back about this sort of thing, but their traditional parents or grandparents probably wouldn't be happy about opening a news paper to find mockeries of their religion and/or way of life, even if it wasn't meant to.

I think it's something we should be sensitive about, and I don't think it's do anyone any harm if more people adopted free speech without being assholes about it. Why can't freedom of speech be about telling the truth, instead of being able to say everything and anything maliciously? It's a powerful tool, and yet is too often used the wrong way. Just because you CAN doesn't always mean you SHOULD, ya know?

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.