This thread is inspired by this article.

Japanese Twitter Users Stand Up to ISIS with...a Photoshop Meme

My question is this right way to deal with things? It's such a sensitive subject and to be honest I'm on the fence as both sides has a very valid argument. On the one hand it is argued that the terrorists control us with fear, and without that fear they have nothing, these hostages will get killed whether people make fun of them or not. I think they have a sense of empowerment by making these memes.

Of course there is the other side whether this is too insensitive to the hostages and their families. Whether this is going too far. After all this is not a laughing matter, peoples lives are at stake, and this has become a worldwide problem that everyone needs to deal with. I have to say here that not all the Japanese are happy with the memes and some do think it is too insensitive.

I am really on the fence about this, I don't want the Japanese to be afraid and more respect to them if they feel empowered, but this shouldn't be treated insensitively either.

So what do you guys think? Are you for or against the memes? Or are you on the fence? Please be respectful of others as this is a sensitive subject.