Thread: Entertainment Burnout, or Behind-The-Curtain Syndrome

Entertainment Burnout, or Behind-The-Curtain Syndrome

If you spend your life making literature, entertainment, and art, eventually you get to a point where it all starts to connect with various other things. You steep yourself in art, and all the art seems to become one thing, that is a zillion things also at the same time.

... At that point, you start to get weary of looking at art, understanding art, seeing art, hearing art, experiencing art. The world starts to look like artwork, and you just can't bear to look at it anymore, it's the same as it ever was...

I don't know exactly what I'm feeling. I guess the injector pump for my creative energy is running dry and getting burned out.

What do you think? Interllecshul enuff?
    "I find this all to be highly inappropriate."

Bananarama Entertainment Burnout, or Behind-The-Curtain Syndrome Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think at that point, you either have to take a step back and take time away from your art, or you pursue different types of art. Even if you have to force yourself, you should try to go in different directions; pick up a new instrument or style of music, try painting, something creative to make something new.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Boxer of the Galaxy Entertainment Burnout, or Behind-The-Curtain Syndrome Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    If you spend your life making literature, entertainment, and art, eventually you get to a point where it all starts to connect with various other things. You steep yourself in art, and all the art seems to become one thing, that is a zillion things also at the same time.

... At that point, you start to get weary of looking at art, understanding art, seeing art, hearing art, experiencing art. The world starts to look like artwork, and you just can't bear to look at it anymore, it's the same as it ever was...

I don't know exactly what I'm feeling. I guess the injector pump for my creative energy is running dry and getting burned out.

Sounds to me like you're becoming disinterested in general. I define disinterested similar to a state of boredom, so don't confuse disinterested with apathy. I have heard some say that boredom is a choice, however I think boredom is a result, albeit a result of a choice we make. Listen to Pete and try something different. More often than not we allow ourselves to be consumed by the familiar, the convenient and the comfortable. Whilst it is normal to spend time doing the things you enjoy doing, after a while you will plateau and eventually interest will decline. You will then be in a state of bewilderment (as you appear to be now) and wonder why these hobbies and interests are starting to 'blend together'. Ill take a punt; blending together is your way of measuring the individual appreciation you have for these hobbies. To be clearer, you get the same level of satisfaction you do from books, film, art, games etc and that level of satisfaction is in decline. Obviously this would concern anybody. This has happened to me at 2 pivotal moments in my life and without going into specifics, they were both caused by a lack of enthusiasm on my behalf. I would read the same books, watch the same shows, play the same games "same as it ever was" without actually experiencing anything new. It was nostalgia that tied me to this behaviour, but for you it might be something different. What you should endeavor to do is to first understand why you feel this way, and then change.

Or you could be having an off day. Happens to the best of us.

More, it is workaholism.

My sister is a PhD student. She is nearing her doctorate.

I mean, I know how silly this sounds, but you should know that I outscored her on the ACT, and got close to her SAT score. I am not a dummy. I really devote all of it into songs. Music. I poured all my skill points into music and screwed charisma, DND players.

I don't care if people like me or not, I decided to carry on the musical traditions of all my sensei, and that's what I'm a doin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post

Yeeeahhh, it's probably just down to you realising you don't have any actual talent.

Bummer.

Bananarama Entertainment Burnout, or Behind-The-Curtain Syndrome Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You should know that high school means nothing. If you're in a place where what you did in high school still matters, and you've left high school, you've plateaued.

The only place where it would matter is if you're a generational talent or phenom, and even then, meh
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Talent recognizes alcohol