Thread: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

The Quiet One Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

For those keeping up with your Fullmetal Alchemist you should remember that there is a new series being made for Fullmetal Alchemist. For those that didn't know, you know now. ^^; And well it just began airing this week in Japan and for those that want to see legal subs of them Funimation is airing them on their site weekly.

The new series is said to follow more in line with the manga than the first series did. So expect to see something new if you haven't read the manga. And the animation style is slightly changed as well to match closer with the manga artist's style. It is still very clearly Fullmetal Alchemist, but watching even the OP you can easily tell there is a subtle different in all of the characters.

So who's excited for the new series? ^^
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

The joke is far too true Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood loner-kid's Avatar
    I'm fairly excited because I enjoyed the original series but haven't yet read the manga so it will be fairly new for me. The main things that intrest me is how different the characters may be/become as the character development will be different and how the story will differ but I suppose I'll see with time

Read some of my stuff here
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...-snippets.html

The Gargoyle
    SPOILER!!:

The gargoyle sits, solemnly, alone
    That silent man of stone
    Here, for his deeds he must atone

Beaten eyes stare blankly
    Withered arms curved and wrinkly
    Bat-like wings spread fully

For once he was a man deceitful
    His soul decored in black so hateful
    From his despair grew pain most vengeful

With his death he was deserted
    Left condemned and desecrated
    Bound to form most understated

And now he is but a statue made of stone
    Sitting all alone

Star Gaze
    SPOILER!!:
    High in the sky, blinking down on us
    We all watch the stars
    Believing, as we do
    That friends and lovers long since moved away are staring upwards too
    Remembering us as we remember them
    Smiling in the light of an unatainable star
    And even if the star was snuffed out at that very moment
    We would never know
    We just keep smiling
    And believe the star is true

My TFF Family
    (is laughably small because 'loner' turned out to be fairly accurate)
    Unknown-Entity - loner-kid's hilarious 'friend'
    Raider - my ginger brother

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Ragtime's Avatar
    I love the new series the first episode was great. I haven't read the manga so its all new to me.

Warrior Ninja Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Led Zeppelin's Avatar
    I never watched the FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood yet...Just a little nervous because I remember watching the series and seeing how Edward was and wondering if his personality will be different ^^....I never got to read the full manga of it yetonly a bit so I'm a little curious to see how all the characters act...But it's probably going to be great just like the original was :]

The personalities don't differ between the main characters, but people like Marco, Boss Grahn, Shou Tucker, etc don't have as big of roles this time around (beause they didn't in the manga, or so I'd assume since I haven't read the manga)

I've been watching the episodes every week, really enjoying it so far. They started the same week they did a digital remaster/retelling of Dragonball Z, which too is more accurate to the manga than the show originally was. Which really just means less filler crap and more to the point storytelling.
    Last edited by Sean; 05-24-2009 at 04:22 PM.

I adore FullMetal Alchemist. I totally have the Edward love <3 So to hear that there will be a new series is fantastic!!!! :3
    Truth be told I haven't read (or seen <_<) the manga, but now I'm deeply intrigued and would most certainly like to begin reading some of it. Hmm...

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood SSJ4 Goku's Avatar
    Somewhere with no stealing...no killing...Eden
    I think I mentioned this (to some extent) in the "What's the last anime you watched" thread...or maybe just in my journal, but, anyway...

My first reaction was hesitant, as they're re-animating a series that is only a few years old, but, as I've been keeping up with the US manga releases, I realised that there's definitely enough material to work off of to justify a new series (the manga started diverging around vol. 7 and vol. 18 just was released here this month). My only gripe was that it would be a hassle to see those first seven volumes worth re-animated with an almost identical story (as it took the anime about 30 episodes or so to cover that span).

Now that it's actually come out, I can say two things: (1)That it shouldn't take as long to get to the "new" stuff, as they've started condensing things and cutting things out from the original anime (Barry the Chopper, Yoki and the mining town, etc.) and (2)my initial concerns that the show didn't pack the same emotional punch are finally starting to subside. I didn't think the way they told the story of Tricia Elric's death, the story of Rose were on the same level emotionally as the first series, and even Nina Tucker's death (one of the saddest moments in the series in my opinion) wasn't quite on par with the original. However, starting with Scar's first fight with Ed and Al, I think things are finally starting to pick up and that the emotional content will start to be more apparent.

In general, though, it's still quite enjoying, and, as they've only shown eight episodes so far, I don't want to rush to judgment too quickly, as the show should still have plenty of time to build up steam. I just wish they'd bring it to TV here already!

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Treize's Avatar
    I've been watching this too. I'm looking forward more until later in the show, though, because right now it is pretty much just the previous anime condensed with better animation. I also agree that the show so far has much less emotional impact than the previous anime because it is being condensed. However, I think this is good because I'm just watching it for when it starts diverging from the previous anime. Right now I have pretty high expectations for this anime and I can't wait to see more episodes.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

The Quiet One Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I can agree that there seems a little less emotional punch to things. Especially in the 7th episode when you learn about the secret, but I guess when you already know it sort of takes itself away. But the episode with Rose was definitely not as moving as the first series, but it also got portrayed in a different light all around.

That is one of the things you really get from these episodes, is that even the same events that are playing out now are really being cast in a different light and mood. It is very interesting and certainly quite darker.

What are your opinions of the new Central and Eastern City that they have in this series. In the original series they barely showed much of Central or Eastern City to really give you a solid feel for them. You knew in general the architecture, but that was it. But now they are giving you a lot of wide shots of the city and high altitude shots that really give you the scale of the city, especially Central. I really feel that Central is being placed in a very different feeling all together with this. Its very interesting.

What are your thoughts?

And its funny, but Ed's hair is very blonde this time around. ^^;
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

No place like home Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    I'm up to episode 5, really good so far. The Nina part was so much more emotional in my opinion.

Insanity is a girls best friend. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Fearless's Avatar
    Well, having watched the entirety of the first anime and the movie (multiple times XD), I was slightly skepticle of how the new one would turn out. (but excited. I almost died when I heard they were making a new anime.)
    8D

I LOVE IT.
    I WANT. -_-

The only thing it's missing is Vic Mignona.
    Yes.

I'm on Vol. 4 of the manga and ep 7 of Brotherhood, and there are quite a few differences between them despite supposedly being the same. For example, in the original anime, the Shao Tucker and Nina bit took place when Ed was about 12 years old and preparing to take the State Alchemist exam, and took place over a few episodes. The new one, however, takes place when Ed is about 15 and researching human transmutation, in the course of one episode.

And yes, Ed's hair is quite blond.
    Mmmm, bishonen. <3
    I hear you whisper,
    Love me
    Love me

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Shan'do Spike's Avatar
    The early manga and Brotherhood have differences, mostly because they've been trying to move through content that overlaps with the original series quickly. They're moving somewhere around 150% faster (so 2.5 times as fast) than the original series currently (using episodes 10 and 25 of the new and old series, respectively, as benchmarks), and so they've been ensuring it still makes sense.

That being said, so far Brotherhood hasn't been up to the original series in terms of quality, but I have faith that it will. The manga is about an order of magnitude better than the anime (in my opinion), especially once you get deeper in.
    Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust
    Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

-Ferdinand, The Duchess of Malfi, V.V