Thread: Daria

Blog Entries

Daria

So, I've been watching Daria again. I loved it when it was on Mtv back in the day, and I still think it's awesome today. I could really felt like I could relate, even though I was only in middle school at the time. I like how the characters all have quirks that play off each other, and Daria and Jane are there to commentate. Although I find myself feeling very cynical of people's motives after I watch an episode or two (including my own) because almost every character in that show has an ulterior motive to the helpful one they present for what they're doing that Daria or Lane easily uncover. Any of those characters also have the potential to do something cool, though (the ones that actually have some intelligence or are not completely evil, anyway.)

My favorite character has always been Jane's older brother, Trent. He is awesome. Even though he was a stereotype that was making fun of that kinda guy, I thought he was awesome anyway. He was also one of the more sane characters in the show, even though he had a tendency to let down too. I also think the Social Studies teacher is hilarious (I forget his name, but he has a tendency to yell every third word, because he's constantly angry, and hates everybody.)

Who else watched Daria? Who was your favorite character? Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
    Last edited by Taco-Calamitous; 10-08-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Can't make mind up over wording.

Registered User Daria winterborn86's Avatar
    Wow Daria, I havnt seen that in years i always liked the blond cheerleader she was almost as dumb as homer simpon lol, why can't i remember her name??

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

Genocide Unfolds, I Forgive All Chez Daja's Avatar
    Haha, wow, Daria. Haven't seen that in a while, but I loved it when it used to be on the TV. Naturally, my favourite characters were Jane and Trent, but I thought Daria herself was a great character as well.

They don't show it on the television anymore, but I'm pretty sure I had some of those knowing moments you mentioned. Always easy to relate to that show when you're of a certain age.

The person in my avatar is me.

THIS SIGNATURE IS VERY DISTRACTINGS

I was the holder of the highest amount of rep that ever lived on TFF. 1788. lolz. I ween.

I still watch Daria. I've got most of the episodes, and I managed to find the movies. I would really, really, really like to see proper DVD releases of the episodes, especially since a lot of the show got edited heavily when it was picked up by some kids' network. So many good, adult jokes... gone. Argh. Who cares if they make a joke about Timothy Leary? Kids these days won't get it at all. Kids in my day didn't get it either!

To this day, it is still one of my favorite shows. I feel like Daria's point of view over laps mine in many ways. The stories are excellent and contain both a sense of realism and ridiculousness. The characters are like real people, and, just as Taco said, they all contain ulterior motives- just like most people you'd meet in the real world.

My favorite character is Daria, but I also have an affinity for Jane, Trent, Jake (Daria's dad), and Tom. My favorite episodes are probably in season 3, followed by all the episodes that involve Tom. Although, early on there are some classic episodes you just can't forget, like the trip to Alternapalooza that results in Jesse's van breaking down. Also, late into the show, there's great stuff. You also gotta love the episode where Sandi breaks her leg and gets fat. Stupid fashion club bitch deserved it. =D

The social studies teacher is Mr. DeMartino. My social studies teacher in high school was incredibly similar to him. It made for great jokes among my friends.
    Last edited by Sarah; 10-09-2008 at 12:10 PM.
    Why the hell is everyone's sig so long? Be polite and use a freakin' spoiler tag!:
    Bring back Pete for S-Mod!
    Down with Word Games! Eradicate post counts! One liners are valid responses, too!

SICK SAD WORLD~!!

I always thought it was a great show...Did Mike Judge have anything to do with it? Either way it was a hundred times better than the crapfest that is King of the Hill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by winterborn86 View Post
    Wow Daria, I havnt seen that in years i always liked the blond cheerleader she was almost as dumb as homer simpon lol, why can't i remember her name??
    You are referring to Britney.

I haven't gotten too far yet in my watch through the series; I'm at the start of the second right now. I just watched one of my favorite episodes, where Daria's family goes camping, and Jane and Trent go to their family reunion. "You were always my favorite, Trent. Y'know why? 'Cuz you're a BUM! A no good lousy BUM! You're just like ME!" and of course, "Jane, come closer dear. Closer. Closer. ....WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!!"

Yeah, this show seems somewhat different from Mike Judge's work. Even the art seems a bit different. Maybe he didn't have much to do with it. That's something to look up... Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

EDIT: The series creator was, in fact, not Mike Judge. According to IMDB, anyway. They say it was someone named "Susie Lewis." Interesting...
    Last edited by Taco-Calamitous; 10-09-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: I did the research! It was hard! ....

Eternal Romeo
    FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    I need to find me some Daria again, bring me back to the 90's. When I was a tiny little shxt bag. Maybe this time around I'll like it/understand it better.
    I watched a couple eps. on YouTube...( <3 )
    If anyone has links to more, save me the trouble of torrenting it, & PM it to me?

Blog Entries

Re: Daria

Just a head's up; the series is FINALLY coming out on DVD, in its ENTIRETY. I have already pre-ordered it with money I should not spend... Anyhoo... *necroposts*

Wuv, Yer Mom

Re: Daria

Always loved Daria, especially her father and his ability to get stressed out over everything.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"