View Poll Results: How do you like your anime?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer watching it with subtitles & original voices.

97 67.83%
  • I prefer watching it dubbed so I don't have to read it.

30 20.98%
  • Seriously, who cares?

14 9.79%
  • N/A, because I can understand Japanese.

2 1.40%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Anime: Subbed or Dubbed?

i could go either way on this, i guess it really just depends on if i feel like reading.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

You're me...and I'm you. Anime: Subbed or Dubbed? Almasys's Avatar
    I love watching the subbed versions so that I can say I'm up to date with the anime and be able to discuss what's going on in it with other fans instead of having to wait years or months before the episode is translated and brought to the States. But I also love watching the dubbed [except for those that are horribly messed up on] to be able to compare it to the original.

Besides that, most of the shows that have been dubbed and brought over are starting to lose their spark with me due to the fact that many of the fans now start acting like they know everything in the shows [I'm not purposely trying to put someone down if they are a new fan due to the dubbed version of Naruto, Bleach, etc.] I will still watch it like a lot of people, but I'll only be all "YAY! OMG!" when it's in it's true form with the original language and everything.

So really, I guess you can say I'm a subbed fan more than a dubbed fan.

~My TFF Family~
    *Seifer Obssessed* Half sister to~Phantom
    My marksman, protective older brother~Nick
    Wanna join the family?
    Just ask~

well it doesn't matter to me whether i will watch an anime dubbed or subbed... as long as that anime is good according to my taste.... sometimes it's thrilling to watch an anime with that original versions (whether came from japan or anywhere else) or sometimes i'd rather watch with dubbed versions on it... if it seems that the story is kindda complicated to understand well that's my opinion but it doesn't matter and i would love to watch an anime once again (if i have enough time for that...)

Saved from wrath
    Romans 6:23

Arachnie Suicide Anime: Subbed or Dubbed? ChloChloAriadne's Avatar
    Given the choice, I'll have it with subtitles.

I'm not going to say "it sounds better" or anything like that because I don't understand that dialect and I've no right to say that, really.

I just like seeing things as they were.

That said, the store here only seems to stock them in English dubs =(.
    I've been on this site since 2006 woah

I prefer watching it with subtitles and original voices.
    Not sure why really, I guess it's more 'natural' or something.
    It is as they are and in the Netherlands almost everything gets subbed
    and never dubbed.
    My TFF Family it!

Savior of the Damned is my little brother!

Sir Alex Ferguson is my awesome brother!

I can't stand having to read everything that the character says. Unless I knew Japanese. But since I don't I just stick with the dubbing. Whitch is fine with me. The voices don't really bother me.

Beats reading everything.
    2nd Squad 5th Seat BLEACH CLUB

SHUT-UP!, SHUT-UP!, SHUT-UP! Anime: Subbed or Dubbed? ~FANTASY-ENDER~'s Avatar
    Currently enjoying life after a long deployment
    I rather have the anime dubbed so I can focus on the story instead of focusing on the sub title. And I like the english version a lot better than the japanese version.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER][/U][/B]
    I FINALLY DEFEATED TERRA IN KINGDOM HEARTS 2 FINAL MIX+
    I give everyone permission to call me Endy, and by the way I got that nickname from FATE, sounds cool
    RPGs THAT I'VE BEATEN.....
    FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XIII KINGDOM HEARTS II ~FINAL MIX~+ KINGDOM HEARTS I, II, Re:Chain of Memories (Sora's Story), KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS STAR OCEAN III: TIL THE END OF TIME DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 1: REBIRTH DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 2: REMINISCE DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 3: REDEMPTION ROGUE GALAXY WILD ARMS 4 BLUE DRAGON

MY ANIMES THAT I OWN.....
    KARIN (Complete Series 1-24), INUYASHA (Episodes 1-167), SCHOOL RUMBLE (Episodes 1-26),SHAKUGAN NO SHANA (Complete 1st Season 1-24), BLEACH (Episodes 1-92), MY HiME (Complete Series 1-26), MY OTOME (Complete Series 1-26), PLEASE TWINS (Complete Series 1-13), ELFEN LIED (Complete Series 1-13), NARUTO (Episodes 1-28), THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA (Complete Series 1-13)

Lady Succubus Anime: Subbed or Dubbed? Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well. As I've said earlier, it does sound better as it was intended, instead of dubbed, with most series.

Although on the subbed aspect, sure it may seem daunting and tedious at first, but you have to realize that the longer you watch it this way, the more you will understand the language and you find yourself looking at the subtitles less and less, until you just glance at them to know what they're saying.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble Vamp View Post
    Given the choice, I'll have it with subtitles.

I'm not going to say "it sounds better" or anything like that because I don't understand that dialect and I've no right to say that, really.

I just like seeing things as they were.

That said, the store here only seems to stock them in English dubs =(.
    Yeah I know what you mean Froggie.
    Still, it's not all bad. Most MADMAN published anime seems to have the subbed version under language options. ^^

*GLOMPS MADMAN*

It mainly seems to be the anime marketed at the littlies that lacks the subs. And even then in some cases they're included. Screw around with the dvd options.
    victoria aut mors

Quote Originally Posted by Toph
    Well. As I've said earlier, it does sound better as it was intended, instead of dubbed, with most series.
    Do you know enough Japanese to know that it's what they intended? Translation is hard and it takes a lot of effort. A poor sub can be just as inacurate as a poor dub can. Often, subs translate word for word and it reads awful. Any translator knows that you can't translate exactly what they're saying; you have to take some time and instead of translating their exact words, translate their meaning. Good subs do this and so do good dubs. I've had subs that use semi colons instead of letters because they A) Don't know English well and B) didn't take the time to check their sub. It's the same thing with dubs really. There's good versions and bad versions depending on who's translating it.

Until now!

I prefer the original language that it was set in. Sometimes, companies just choose the wrong people to do the voices and to me, that is a big impact on the show itself. Take Funimation for example.
    Be strong, believe

Eh, I guess I'll finally post in here.

I won't attempt to say which is better really, but I do prefer watching things in their original language. I generally watch fansubs, and there are often multiple to choose from. If I feel something's not right about the one I'm watching, I'll check out the others. I also prefer notes to explains things rather than changing what's said when it comes to things that can't really be translated or might be difficult to understand. Watching it in Japanese also gives a bit more insight into the language, which I'd like to learn sometime.

Often times, the dubs change a lot of things that I feel should remain unchanged. Not always, and they've probably gotten better about it lately, as well as it depending on company, but that's how it's been for most of the ones I've seen.

So, yeah. I prefer subs.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 03-11-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well, Tacitus, I know as much as where I can tell what subs are inaccurate. I'm not saying I'm fluent or anything like that. That's not how I intend to come off. But I can usually get the meaning in what's said.

I"m just saying that overtime, you'll get used to the subs.

That's fine, but that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that there is more to a translation than what is literally said. Take the sentence, "I'm cheating." To a non English speaker, this can easily be interpreted wrongly when translated directly. Also take a sentence like "I dislike your mannerism." To the typical anime watcher, this sentence is in no way outrageous. However, in the Japanese language, it may be the most offencive comment one can make (This is just an untrue example). Therefore, once again a literal translation doesn't cut it. Unless you're fluent in both the language and the culture, there are many things you're going to miss, even with a sub, unless that sub is made by people who are translating not just the words, but the meaning as well.

In the end, what I'm saying is that a sub is no guarantee that you're getting the original meaning of the anime. You need a good sub, just as you need a good dub. A dub and sub of equal quality will equally convey the original meaning. Subs have no advantage in that catagory.
    Last edited by Jin; 03-10-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Until now!

Blog Entries
    Yeah, there are good groups out there, as well as there are bad. I'm just saying I can tell which are good or not. XD

So I basically agree with what you're saying. A good sub for example is Vegapunk and Kaizoku fansubs.

Jumps in and out of the window Anime: Subbed or Dubbed? Riddler's Avatar
    Definitely subbed because if it was dubbed in some of the animes then either 1.The voice will be out of time or 2.The voice won't suit the charcter and the voice will be really stupid

Proud and awesome member the FF cult!

Anime: Subbed or Dubbed? E L L Y's Avatar
    realm of nobodies..you can enter it through Kingdom Hearts game..yeah I live in a game
    well .. when watching dub I always missed out some words as I'm not a native English speaker..but I could understand when it comes to sub..furthermore, I couldn't get the feel when it's dubbed..like saying Mr. Takashiro instead of Takashiro-san makes me itch..coz it's like a japanese speaking english lol..and sometimes the original seiyuu and the english seiyuu both makes different voices..even a calm voice girl can turn into a tiny voice girl..it just felt very weird especially if you already have watched the subbed one and then you watched the dubbed one on tv....but then, if you really like the anime,and on tv, it's dubbed..you just have to endure it..or rather not watch it..
    for my younger brothers though,they preferred it dubbed cause they could hardly catch up with the subtitles...I guess the companies dubbed it cause they thought only kids watch anime so they dub it to ease the kids..but they're totally wrong..
    I like the two options on Animax,when some anime are aired with subs but with dual audio..but sadly, only some of the anime..

EX Member Of The Al Bhed Club
    & The Yaoi Otakus Club

I miss everybody there

My DEAR TFF Family
    My Vampire Bleach Obsessive Brother - ABARAI RENJI
    My Addicted to Bleach Brother - KUROSAKI ICHIGO
    My normal healthy brother - METAL572
    My not imaginary sister - LoVeLeSs

misfortunes kept befalling me.. what did I ever do wrong?! ...

Anime: Subbed or Dubbed? Hell's-sword's Avatar

Subbed and dubbed

Well what i do is watch the dubbed version to get what is going on then i watch the subbed version because that is how it was intended!! Sounds crazy i no but it has to be done
    We have spent our time drenched in opulent splendour but when midnight chimes will gilded souls surrender.
    CRADLE OF FILTH
    DANI FILTH
    DEAD MAN SQUAWKING

I can't watch Anime with english Dubbed. I remember when I first watched the english version of Naruto and kept hearing him scream "Believe it!!", in a annoying voice. I was so irritated, but I'm the same way with video games. In the video fighting game called Dead or Alive. There was an option to listen to the bad english dubs or listen to the true Japanese voice. The Japanese voices are always better, and make the story interesting to me. I love it, and refuse to listen to dub. Sub all the way!!^^

True love never dies!!
    Checkout my AMV'shttp://www.youtube.com/user/Nemesis4567

I don't mind subbed but i also like dubbed. idk at least with subbed it's original what's awsome is when they dub it but don't change anything that's always the best.

The joke is far too true Anime: Subbed or Dubbed? loner-kid's Avatar
    I used to watch dubs but now I pretty much only watch subs. I mean sure the art of dubbing is more difficult than you would expect you can't always use the proper translation it has to be changed to fit the lip synching this alone can screw up some of the dialogue but whoever chooses the voice actors must be death they choose horrible grating voices that ruin the whole thing, I'm not saying that there aren't any good dubs out there just that there are a whole lot which are absolutely terrible, long story short I don't do dubs unless someone says that it's ok and even then I'd rather do subs especially if I've already seen some of it in sub

kon10
    I like watching like bleach in english dub, but i also like watching naruto in english subbed

Subs for sure. Dubs = mis-trans-lay-teeeed.

Blog Entries
    For me it doesn't matter, since I don't watch anime much anyways, but I have always had better experiences with subtitles; it seems to me when the voices are done in this manner the show or movie seems much more authentic, plus it keeps you focused in the story of the whole thing as well. I guess the farthest back anime video I have bought was a .hack//liminality that came with the game. At first I watched it with subtitles, then when I wanted to show my friend the movie, I couldn't figure out how to change it back to sub since it was playing from my PS2, so we watched the same thing in dubbed voices. It was harder imo to get into the storyline when the voices are on the verge of sounding like a parody.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Quote Originally Posted by Refieth View Post
    Subs for sure. Dubs = mis-trans-lay-teeeed.
    You've clearly seen very few subs if you think they are free of mistranslation.

Until now!

Gunslinger
    i must say that i prefure the original japanes voises 4 2 resons
    1: because it is the original
    2: because many of the dubb's sounds like crap hwen u have first herd it on japanes
    3: because i understand a little japanes
    and 4: because at some point in some of the better grapic senes it is visebly dubbed and i hate that

And I to do agree, original versions don't have edited scenes.

offcorse i hate it when the sub is wrong to (this in the FFVII AC end other movis)

Anime: Subbed or Dubbed? V_Translanka's Avatar
    Subs>Dubs

I don't know why this hasn't transfered over into gaming as well (or at LEAST RPGs)...It's clear that the majority of anime fans prefer original language & subtitles...you'd think this would carry over into video games as well...There should be a goddamn petition or something...>_>

Subbed w/ original voices, of course! With dubbed, the voices aren't nearly as good, and the translations are very sucky. The translations for the dubbing aren't nearly as good as the subbed. Try watching Ranma 1/2 dubbed, and you'll see what I mean.

Razz Ookami Shōnen
    Subs FTW.

Its simply really. who wants to listen to some sad voices from pre-pubic kids from 4kids ? Noone in my opinion. also if you can't keep up with subtitles, I suggest you go back to 4th Grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Razz Ookami Shōnen View Post
    Subs FTW.

Its simply really. who wants to listen to some sad voices from pre-pubic kids from 4kids ? Noone in my opinion. also if you can't keep up with subtitles, I suggest you go back to 4th Grade.
    Not all dubs are of 4Kids (lack of) quality you know. There are dubs that are quite worthwhile watching. Even though I like subs, sometimes I get a better feel for the series when it's my own language, you can understand all the nuances and idioms of your own English language and achieve a heightened sense of immersion.

That's just me though, and there will be BAD dubs, and sometimes you just like the way the character sounds in Japanese more than English (or vice versa)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast