Thread: Square Enix Looking to Update Duscae Demo

The Quiet One Square Enix Looking to Update Duscae Demo Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

News Post Square Enix Looking to Update Duscae Demo

A while back Square Enix sent out a fan survey to take in the feedback on the Final Fantasy XV demo. The results are now in and they are wanting to respond to that feedback by updating the existing demo with changes. They said that it is not something done with demos, so they have to work out with Sony and Microsoft if they'll be fine with updating it. Director Tabata said they are looking to have the work done for it by mid to late May. If they're unable to update the demo, they plan to make it available during events.

The planned changes to the demo that they have outlined are, improvements to the combat, game camera, targeting, more moves in combat, more joint attack, possibly adding dodge roll, improving range of Noctis' weapons, balancing on MP usage, perfect dodge doesn't consume MP, bug fixing like the Titan bug, but possible allowing the player to see Titan a different way, possible quests to team up with NPCs and trying to improve the framerate.

The results of the survey they went over in a live stream event touching on the big points that came out of it and responding to how they are going to change or address certain things brought up.

The 15 points that they outlined are:

The camera lock-on, the camera doesn't follow well and it was not communicated that pressing R3 has a better lock on. He said it will be fixed.

Fans felt the camera was too close and they can't see what was going on, which Tabata agreed was unacceptable. They are looking at different options, he said that might just put in a camera distance option to let players pick the range that they want.

Heavy/slow or bad camera controls, he said they're working on fixing it.

Bad AI or they get in the way, Tabata said they'll be doing more work on the AI to improve it and wanting to work on their interactions more so it feels like 4 friends together on a trip.

Framerate drops and anti-alias, he said the final game will have anti-alias on, the demo didn't have it. They are also going to be targeting 30 fps and 1080, but said framerate is more important than resolution, so they'll make cuts in resolution to hit their framerate.

The game feels slow with it trying to be realistic, Tabata says that they understand that the trailer showed faster combat and that they'll be addressing the feel to speed things up, but want to keep the immersion and weight. So it'll be a balancing act.

No mini-map or compass, he confirmed plans to add something either a mini-map/radar or compass, something to help direct players will be in the final game.

Fans want a dodge that doesn't consume MP, which Tabata said the warp dodge is a high level dodge and that there is a dodge roll, which was not able to be put into the demo. The dodge roll doesn't consume MP.

There were complaints combat was all just regening MP and hiding behind rocks. Tabata said that there will be more options available in the final game and combat will be short, so that should help with more combat variety and less MP regening. He does want it to still be strategic in MP use and have the player think about how and when to use MP.

Japanese, American and European players were divided on the difficulty of the game. Japanese players said it was too hard, while American and European players said it was too easy. Tabata said he feels the best solution will be to include a difficulty option.

The game feels monotonous, which he said with the more combat options in the final game should help to fix that feeling of doing the same thing repeatedly.

Players didn't like that there was a stamina bar for sprint, but Tabata felt that it was not a problem and noted that the speed and length you can spirit can be increased through buffs from the food.

Players wanted to cancel attacks, which seems to be something that Tabata wants very much as well, so it'll be in the final game.

And there were complaints about too many bugs.

Source: Final Fantasy XV Episide Duscae 2.0 Planned For Release This May ; What Did Fans Think Of The Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae Demo?
    Attached Images Attached Images Square Enix Looking to Update Duscae Demo-ffxvlogo-jpg 
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Boxer of the Galaxy Square Enix Looking to Update Duscae Demo Rowan's Avatar
    I hope they dont change cindy.

Blog Entries
    I know there comments about people not liking the sexualization of Cindy. Whether that changes is unknown. But I think they're evaluating it. I'm not really thrilled about the basically bikini, hotpants and short jacket combo she had going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I know there comments about people not liking the sexualization of Cindy. Whether that changes is unknown. But I think they're evaluating it. I'm not really thrilled about the basically bikini, hotpants and short jacket combo she had going on.
    Yeah but its alright to have mr 8 pack open shirt in there, thats absolutely fine right?

Certified tech, come at me! Square Enix Looking to Update Duscae Demo SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad they are working on the combat, it was kinda slow in a way and required a bit of a learning curve, i loved what they did with it, but it does need improve response time between the button pressing and the action happening. MP balancing is useful too, didn't like how everything consumed MP, square did the right thing allowing fan feedback to evaluate what they should do to improve the game.
    Currently Playing:

If they change cindy's character, I will officially give up on square and delete my account.

Blog Entries
    No, Glaudio looks pretty silly too with his open shirt. I could do with him buttoned up. It's about as practical as Cindy.

You're going to give up on Square over a sexualized character design? My guess is that it'll be less cleavage and her hot pants will cover up her bikini bottoms, mostly if they did any changes. They'll probably keep everything else, but really if she's a mechanic put her in coveralls like a normal mechanic. She can still look cute while being modestly dressed.

No, Glaudio looks pretty silly too with his open shirt. I could do with him buttoned up. It's about as practical as Cindy.

You're going to give up on Square over a sexualized character design? My guess is that it'll be less cleavage and her hot pants will cover up her bikini bottoms, mostly if they did any changes. They'll probably keep everything else, but really if she's a mechanic put her in coveralls like a normal mechanic. She can still look cute while being modestly dressed.
    a lot of issues that I have with anything in the world are almost never to with said object/scenario, but what said object/scenario represents. I dont give a shit about gladio's design, so why do ppl care about Cindy? Lets leave artistic interpretation upto the creators, and have the artisty as intended. Now I'm adressing you as someone like myself who hates the idea of censorship in localization in various atlus/NISA titles that im sure we've both played, so how is this different? Its not about what shes wearing lets be honest, its about letting SJW's dictate what should and should be allowed in video games. Its fkn politics all over again, and im fkn sick of it. Youd think the main feedback about a video game would be in reference to its gameplay, not the character design etc. By me saying ill give up on Square if they bow down to these SJW's, is basically me saying I'll no longer support their titles and this is a principle of mine, i wont support devs that allow the ever increasing abomination of SJW plague to dictate whats enjoyable to others.

I spit on them. Disgusting.

Furthermore, why wasnt there any complaints about gladio? Why the focus on cindy? Im pretty sure the answer to that question is self explanatory to anyone who can see beyond the hypocrisy that comes with being a ______.

FURTHERMORE: If women in video games were treated like women in real life, then she would be allowed to wear/express herself as she wanted and for you to tell her that she dresses too sexy is like... justifying rape culture? (sry im new to feminism)
    Last edited by Rowan; 05-01-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    I don't know what SJW stands for.

Consistently Average Square Enix Looking to Update Duscae Demo Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to nominate that for the shortest post ever made by Andromeda.

I think it's interesting that they would go about updating a demo, when they could just add those changes into the final game. I guess it shows that they're taking this a bit more seriously and are more involved in what people have to say about their games. Or they really need XV to do well.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

I don't know what SJW stands for.
    Social Justice Warriors. Normally it sounds admirable, but when applied to things that have little relevance, it can be become really annoying.

#LOCKE4GOD Square Enix Looking to Update Duscae Demo Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Social Justice Warriors. Normally it sounds admirable, but when applied to things that have little relevance, it can be become really annoying.
    I guess the problem is that you've decided that video games are an irrelevant place for "politics", while the people you disagree with you think there is no way to escape "politics".

I see their point. Nothing is truly "apolitical", especially not art.

I also see your point. The social justice warrioring can be pretty annoying and certainly borders on censorship.

I just wish people would shut up and just make and play the games that they like. Ultimately Rowan I think you'd be overreacting if you don't buy the game due to some changes that are made in response to these people you label SJWs. They're also entitled to the game that they want to play.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-03-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Kurt I think they are wanting to make a Final Fantasy that fans will enjoy. Naturally, they can't please everyone, but they're going to try to do what they can I think so as many as possible can enjoy it and feel it is worthy to be held up with the rest of the franchise. Not many developers in general do much to listen and respond to fan feedback so directly. Square's silence in the past isn't something unique to them or because they're a different culture than us. Developers look at feedback after the game is already released and weigh that in future titles, but they have their own vision. So it is pretty rare to see anyone doing so much really react and act upon the feedback. Naturally, until we get the update we won't know how they actually act on that, but things do look promising.