Thread: Car Gameplay Demostration from ATR at PAX 2015

The Quiet One Car Gameplay Demostration from ATR at PAX 2015 Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

News Post Car Gameplay Demostration from ATR at PAX 2015

Tabata brought a lot of new footage to show off for Final Fantasy XV at the PAX event. During the Active Time Report, he showed off how driving would work in the game. The video includes the commentary about the driving. It is possible to have manual control or allow for the game to drive you. If the game is driving, you set a destination and it starts. While driving you can watch the environment and take in the sights. At any point you can take over control and even get out. Anywhere on the road that doesn't drop the characters off a cliff or into the ocean can be navigated. As seen in one point there are monsters after to the side of the road that the player can go after. The car will also have fuel that can run out and can be customized.

Attached Images Attached Images Car Gameplay Demostration from ATR at PAX 2015-ffxvlogo-jpg 
    Last edited by Andromeda; 08-31-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

chocolateer Car Gameplay Demostration from ATR at PAX 2015 01habbo's Avatar
    Nice to see there is an auto mode as well as manual. The fact that it can run out of fuel is surprising, I wouldn't have thought that SE would have done that, it's a nice little detail though.

Boxer of the Galaxy Car Gameplay Demostration from ATR at PAX 2015 Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    Tabata brought a lot of new footage to show off for Final Fantasy XV at the PAX event. During the Active Time Report, he showed off how driving would work in the game. The video includes the commentary about the driving. It is possible to have manual control or allow for the game to drive you. If the game is driving, you set a destination and it starts. While driving you can watch the environment and take in the sights. At any point you can take over control and even get out. Anywhere on the road that doesn't drop the characters off a cliff or into the ocean can be navigated. As seen in one point there are monsters after to the side of the road that the player can go after. The car will also have fuel that can run out and can be customized.

Holy FPS, Batman!

if only they put as much thought into the battle system as they did the car customization. Time will tell what the end result is, I guess. Not getting my hopes up though, if the demo is any indication of what the end result for the battle system is going to be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 01habbo View Post
    Nice to see there is an auto mode as well as manual. The fact that it can run out of fuel is surprising, I wouldn't have thought that SE would have done that, it's a nice little detail though.
    If you remember FFVIII had vehicles and they ran out of gas as well. So it's not the first time. Though it's funny that they said you'd have to push the car to the nearest gas station. I'm not sure if they're being serious about that or not. Not sure I want my RPG that deep where I have to push a car a half way through a zone to just get gas. It'd probably just run ahead with it abandoned and buy a galleon of gas and get it moving that way. Plus I could explore the countryside.

There is still a lot in the combat that hasn't been really given a full viewing yet. One of the progress videos that I wanting to post when it is available showed off several things related to combat. Which help to give more of a view of what to expect.

But the game seems a lot more globe hopping the more they talk about it. Which reminds me of past FF games a lot. Eventually getting to explore the entire world.

Boxer of the Galaxy Car Gameplay Demostration from ATR at PAX 2015 Rowan's Avatar
    But the game seems a lot more globe hopping the more they talk about it. Which reminds me of past FF games a lot. Eventually getting to explore the entire world.
    This is something I'm looking forward too. I just hope that the battle system is a little more complex than it is in the demo.

Blog Entries
    The magic system was left out of the demo for one. But there is also a greater variety of weapons than just swords and spears. They showed Noctis with a revolver it looked like. And they also had you breaking off the horns of a behemoth. I think there will be a lot more to expect from combat. They added things even to the 2.0 update that gave you more complexity.

chocolateer Car Gameplay Demostration from ATR at PAX 2015 01habbo's Avatar
    If you remember FFVIII had vehicles and they ran out of gas as well. So it's not the first time. Though it's funny that they said you'd have to push the car to the nearest gas station. I'm not sure if they're being serious about that or not. Not sure I want my RPG that deep where I have to push a car a half way through a zone to just get gas. It'd probably just run ahead with it abandoned and buy a galleon of gas and get it moving that way. Plus I could explore the countryside.
    I completely forgot about that in ffviii, I think it would get pretty mundane very quickly to push the car to the gas station, who knows how long that would take given how big the world is. But I do like your idea of abandoning the car and going ahead to get gas.