Thread: The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites

Blog Entries

The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites

I notice that we have no current threads pertaining to any kind of favorites, so here's one that covers them all! Genre, author, book, short story, poem, any literature favorites you have, post them all! With explanations of course, as per the no-spam rules.

Favorite: Genre

Fantasy. Even from a young age, I was absolutely fascinated with ideas of imaginary worlds and stories about things that don't exist in ours. That feeling has never left me and even to this day, I love fantasy. Everything about it, the limitless possibilies, the fantastic characters, the magic, it never ceases to amaze and entertain me.

Favorite: Author

Michael Crichton. Amazingly, he doesn't write fantasy but still tops my list as favorite author! I own almost all of his books save his most recent and two of his nonfiction works. I fell in love with his writing in third grade, the first time I read The Lost World, which was a new release back then. I make a point to keep track of and purchase every new book he writes.

Favorite: Book

Unfortunately, I am going to refrain from listing anything right now. I could easily write entire threads of nothing but favorites because honestly, I love most of the books I own. Otherwise I wouldn't own them. I will try to narrow the list down as much as possible and probably list my top five at a later time.

Favorite: Poet

Robert Frost. A local, he lived and died in my home state of New Hampshire. His writing is beautiful and spot-on. I even sought out a nearly complete collection of his poetry for my library. I can relate to his work and every time I read one of his poems, I'm moved by the depth and emotion his writes simply yet so elegantly.

Favorite: Poem

Fire and Ice, Robert Frost. Short but so memorable. This poem is what led me to seek out more of his work, and the impact of it was never forgotten.

I will be sure to expand and add more of my favorites in as I think of them.

What are your favorites?

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Lady Succubus The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And before I edit my post to list my favorites, I'm going to say this:

Each person only gets one post. One. You may edit it accordingly so that it fits your current favorites list, providing it changes overtime. Also explain why it changed, if it does so.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genre:
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I'm currently delving into other genres at the moment, but this is my major genre. I've been reading this genre starting with Dragonlance books, and also some Forgotten Realms books as well. Although my first book into this genre was a Magic the Gathering book of the Ice Ages.

Author:
    Mick Foley - I mostly love his memoirs about behind the scenes of wrestling. He has two fiction books under his belt, as well. Scooter and Tietam Brown, which I haven't gotten the chance to read just yet.

Ed Greenwood - Founder of Forgotten Realms, and also writes his own books as well.

Eoin Colfer - Most people may not know this man's name, because it is overshadowed by the book series he's writing; Artemis Fowl. My writing style used to be a mesh of Colfer and Greenwood until I found my own niche and went with it.

Kim Harrison - She's my favorite fantasy writer. She's somewhat like Laurel K. Hamilton, but doesn't really concentrate on the sex.

Book:
    Right now, I have to say Foley is Good, because I'm currently reading it and it is an easy read with jokes in all the right places.

Poet/Poetry:
    N/A
    Last edited by Victoria; 07-31-2008 at 09:55 AM.

The Lost Writer The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites Psiko's Avatar
    Favorite Genre: Fantasy

This should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me at all. I've been into fantasy for a long, long time. I actually think it goes back to watching Willow at my Grandma's house when I was growing up. Like, every time. Great movie, which got me hooked on a great genre.

Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind

I'm still a huge fan of the Sword of Truth series more than any other. I've been a fan for nearly seven years now. I can read and reread his books until the day I die and never get tired of them. Great characters make the story wonderful.

Favorite Book: Wizard's First Rule

Obviously it would be a Goodkind book. The first in the series, the one that started my fandom to the Sword of Truth series. I've read that 800 page book more times than any other book. Amazing!

Favorite Poet: Undecided

Alas, I'm not as widely versed on poetry as I would like to be. I need to read more, and then I can make an intelligent decision on Poet and Poem.
    OLD SKOOL - A positive appellation referring to when things weren't flashy but empty of substance, were done by hard work, didn't pander to the lowest common denominator, and required real skill. Labour-saving devices, shortcuts that reduce quality and quitting before the task is done are not characteristics of "old skool."

In reference to computer games, refers to a game that had substantial playability without flashy graphics or eye candy. Old skool gamers appreciate difficult maneuvers, careful planning, and scorched earth policies.

In reference to role-playing games, old skool refers to games that tested players' wits, could kill off careless characters, and required dedication and inner strength to play. Old skool games didn't pander to the ideas that everyone is created equal, that all options are open to all races, that the markets were somehow free, and that a quasi-medieval society could have near 100% literacy.

See also classic.

Representing the Old Skool ways since 1984.

Govinda
    Genre: Social Commentary/Short Story

I couldn't pick between the two. I don't know if Short Story really qualifies, but I had to mention my love for the type of writing. Social Commentary novels, especically when written by Douglas Coupland, Oscar Wilde or Emile Zola never fail to capture me. Stories written to exemplify and expand upon the state of a particular generation at a particular point in time. Salinger was quite good at it too. I just like to see the ways in which authors choose to capture the feeling at the time they're writing. I suppose you could say that I like stories with imagination, but imagination firmly grounded in reality; unlike a lot of people here, I cannot read Fantasy at all. It just does nothing for me. I like books with a message (not to say that Fantasy novels don't sometimes posess these; I just can't read them for long enough to find it). Any good fiction also sits well with me.

Author: Ach, that's a bugger. Right now, I'd have to say Coupland. But then there's Saki, the master of the short story; Bukowski; Orwell; de Berniéres, and believe me, I could go on. But just now, I'm really into Douglas Coupland.

Book: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. By far the most outstanding piece of fiction I have ever read. It follows the story of Ofred, a woman in a nuclear future, trapped in a world that forces her to be nothing more than a subservient breeding machine. Please, please read it; you'll love it.

Poet: Charles Bukowski. They're often short, with a manic rhyme system, but they're really wonderful.

Sir Prize The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Key:
    Ultimate Favorite
    Cult Favorite
    Luke Warm Favorite

Genre:
    Sci-Fi
    Mostly Asimov and Frank Herbert some Wells. And if you list Lovecraft her...then him too.

Fantasy
    Not a big Fantasy buff... Tolkien is good and some Susan Cooper

Horror/Mystery
    This is the greatest genre and my personal favorite.

Classic
    Meh Classics are classic...nuff said.

Humor

Not really my thing and I kinda have skewed Idea of what is funny... Mostly Thompson and Burroughs

Author:
    Lovecraft

His is a dark moody verbose style and has his own unique bitingly morbid breed of black horror.

Doyle

Sherlock Holmes and the odd short stories he passes along. But really in our hearts we know that it is just Sherlock Holmes.

Stoker

This favorite one doesn't get an explanation seeing that no one should need any.

Stout

Orchids, Murder, Smart Ass henchmen and grouchy fat men. Plus it's totally Noir.

Christie

The Master of the Mystery Genre that will never have an equal. She could confuse the hell out of any reader with merest effort.

Burroughs

It doesn't get any more gross, stranger, grittier or horrable than William S. Burroughs. That in-of-itself is merit-worthy and delightfully disgusting.

Thompson

Hunter S. Thompson is quite possibly the wittiest of all reportive authors. He began his carreer by modestly inventing a brand new outlet of reporting.

Conrad

Joseph Conrad has a lot to say about humanity and some of it is not pleasant to hear, but it is important and very vivid. The clandestine, snide, greedy and hateful side of man can be found in his best.

Campbell,

Good old fashioned retro sci-fi stories one might find in an old nostalgic sci-fi mag. Responsible for the movie "The Thing" and plenty of other gruesome tales.

Asimov

He who has paved the way for technology to create the best man-killing rebeluous capitalist conquering Robots complete with murderous semi-A.I.

Kafka,

Bizarre surreal and cold. Kafka makes plenty of statements in his own work. A common theme of alienation runs rampant through his collections.

Stevenson

I like Stevenson for Treasure Island and nothing else. That's not to say I don't like his other work; I've just never ready any.

Herbert

Dune. The Lord of the Rings of Sci-Fi. So in depth it would make Tolkien's nose bleed. Plus this man has a encyclopedia-like understanding of ecology.

Dostoevsky

Psychologically relevant, bleak and pessimisstic. And a nice flowing read.

Gothe

Classic Faust. Better than Marlowe.

Dumas

Classical revenge, sword fighting and relationships.

Hawthorne

Lovecraftian in a good evil wicked way...Heheheh *Laughs Maniacally*

Kipling

Works well in Mythos and legends. The Jungle books are simply magnificent in a charming way.

Wells

Good fashioned mediocre sci-fi.

Wilde

Too damn smug and proper and upper class and gay to be overlooked.

Hugo

The master of tragedy and depression. Think the world is a happy place? Read this man and then try not to kill yourself.

Dickens

The embodiement of Classic

Michael Cadnum

Dark, poetic and macabre. An Edgar Allen Poe of the New century.

Michael Chabon

Genius. A Literary Einstein. You just have to read his work to understand...plus he is a Arthur Conan Doyle Fan.

Thomas Harris

He has a good psychologically valid style.

Michael Crichton

The Literary David Bowie. He pops up in every genre and carries it off with aplomb.

Stephen King

I'm not crazy about this guy but he captures the ninteen-fifties like a polaroid and writes well about groups of old friendships under supernatural stress.

Books:
    Naked Lunch,

*Points at William S. Burroughs with one finger and does the crazy motion with the other*
    WOOOOOoooo

The Lurker at the Threshold

Vintage Lovecraft. He writes about humanity like we're a lone swimmer in a deep ocean of nasty sharp-toothed things that just don't like us.

Heart of Darkness

Mankind in it's pure primordial state is not a pretty thing. Sometimes in the right circumstances it just breaks down that way.

Metamorphosis

More weirdness ala Kafka. Feelings of rejection abound. You feel like an ugly gay fat Leper with herpes simplex.

Portrait of Dorian Gray

I don't know why I like this... Just do.

Dune,

Brilliant both in it's staggering detail and description and it's wicked insight into political and ecological affairs.

The Shining

Madness...It's a madhouse A MADHOUSE!!
    And it reminds me of a hotel I've stayed at before up in the rockies.

Les Miserables

Miserable and tragic. It's Denis Leary's "No Cure for Cancer" without the happy ending.

Murder on the Orient Express

A classic ?WTF? whodunnit. That makes as little sense in the end but is tons of fun.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Jeremy Brett...*ahem* I mean Sherlock Holmes is the greatest detective and character that will ever exist. He has the deportment of a Jedi Knight and the keen bloodhound like logic of a Vulcan(to put it in sci-fi terms)

Dracula

Greatest Horror novel...
    Explanation not necessary

The Nero Wolfe Mysteries

They are too humorous for the subject of greed, death and 1930's sin. So they are like a box full of cookies. They are crunchy, sharp and there's a whole box full of them.

The Great Shark Hunt/The Rum Diaries

Pure synical hilarity in all of it's smartacid glory.

Treasure Island

Dunno why I like this one...
    I just do, if you can understand that. I grew up with it and it's like a slice of nostalgia.

Crime and Punishment

What is a man on the edge? How does he live? What does he do? Read this and you will know.

Faust

Ever make a big mistake? Mephisopheles is creeping into your room at night and he looks like Peter Fonda for some reason...

The Count of Monte Cristo

Revenge is messy. It's like a poison and if your not careful it can turn you into something ugly. You must control your revengelust.

The Jungle Book

Classic and charming in an British-Era India way.

Oliver Twist

Classic and charming in a street rat London way... Tsk, Tsk, Tsk poor kid...

Poet:
    Edgar Allen

Creepy and the soul of Goth.

William Blake

He's just freaky and weird. I dunno what his angle is, but it is so surreal, abstruse and confusing that I like it.

John Donne

He fenced with words and his pen was much sharper than any sword. A rock star of poetry that used three dimensional words.

Lewis Carrol

Too much fun and worth several laughs! I don't even care if people do think he was a pedo.

Keats

Intricate like lacework. Keats had the mathematics of poetry sewn together with the infinite vocabulary a prominent literary genius.

Lovelace

A better lover than a poet... Pshaw I say! Cheers to the real Cassanova. The Romeo of the velvet pen!

Crowley

Wicked or not he was a great poet.

Lao Tzu

Formulaic and wise beyond words. He expressed the way in such sensible words. His words were so wise and so simple that everyone saw them as the overly complex rants of foolish sage.

Poem:
    The Altar of Artemis

And this is my favorite poem in all of poetrydom

The Poison Tree

One needs to learn forgiveness for even our foes.

The Garden of Love

"Thou shalt not writ o'er the door"

Alone

This is my favorite poem in all of poetrydom.

A Valediction Forbidding Mourning[/COLOR]

"SHUT UP BITCH! WHEN I LEAVE I CAN THINK BOUT YOU AND MASTURBATE!!!" My dumbass friend once described this poem in such a way. If you read it closely with knowledge that no normal man has you will find that it's a little deeper than that.

Jaberwocky/How Doth the Little Crocodile...

FUN!

To Althea, from Prison

"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage"

Tao Te Ching

My philosophy, if you please.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Fantasy. <3 I love to see other worlds and creatures. Also, it is about dreaming. We all know that our lives are quite boring compared to many books. So it is my way to be swept away to another world, where I can follow adventures and see so many things I can't possibly see in our world. I just dream away when reading a good fantasy book.

I must admit, I think I have none. When I read more books from one author, I get bored by his way of writing. ^^" At least that happened with the last few authors I read more books from.
    But I really enjoy Robert Jordan's writings. I've read a few of his books and it doesn't get boring. So perhaps in the near future he'll be my favorite author. ^^

None. I've read many good books and I can't say that one was definitely better than the other. So I won't say something here. That list would be too long, if I listed all the good books I've read. ^^"

I'm not quite into poems, I haven't read many good ones yet.
    But I say Edgar Allan Poe. Reasons see "Favorite: Poem"

"The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe ^^ I really enjoyed reading it and it was the first poem that really impressed me. A whole story written in a poem, that was just something I never managed to do. But as I said, I'm not the biggest fan of poems.. xD"

Rune Knight The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites Trodorne's Avatar

Re: The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites

Making me pick one.....damn i guess it would have to be Sci-fi as much as i love about fantasy im very specific to what i like. but sci fi. give me space and i can understand it all.

Douglas Adams - without a doubt in my mind. ive never seen a man use every aspect of human life and twist it and make fun of it so well from a outside of earth point of view. its so childish but funny.

The 13th warrior - the movie was good but the book was better. id made me feel like it was a fantasy and the dragon was real. but in the end its like awwww wow its just men acting like animals. Micheal is a great discriptive writer.

N/A - there are a few and to pick one after only reading 1 or 2 of their poetry is not fair. i've read lots of poetry but not enough from anyone poet to really make a good decision.

The long and winding road.

levihill1995

Favourite genre:
    Has to be fantasy nothing better than going of to somewhere decent were it dosent rain 24/7.
    Favourite Poet:
    Dont really have one becuase I dont really read poetry.
    Favourite Poem:
    Like above I dont have one.
    favourite book:
    Probably Lord Loss by Darren Shan

I invented Go-Gurt. The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites Clint's Avatar

Science fiction. I appreciate the immense imaginative fantasy surroundings present within each story. It perplexes the background of the story entirely and makes the characters, as well as the reader himself, seem small in comparison.

Clive Cussler. Although his novels have little to nothing to do with science fiction whatsoever, his storytelling abilities are far too keen to pass up. His novels usually focus around questions, of which make up the plot of the books; usually taking on an alternate history type of perspective.

Lies, Inc., by Phillip K. Dick. It's the extended version of The Unteleported Man, which includes an extra hundred pages of a bizarre, and quite frankly, confusing to read LSD trip. The story itself doesn't really go anywhere except to hold the perplexity of what really lies at Whale's Mouth, a colonization far away on another planet, in which people can be teleported to live there, but are incapable of returning to earth.

Homer. I don't know if he was one man, or several, but both the Iliad and The Odyssey have stood the test of time. Both books are considered landmarks in human literature and Homer is therefore often cited as the starting point of Western literary and historical tradition.

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came by Robert Browning, 1885. It is filled with images from nightmare but the setting is given unusual reality by much fuller descriptions of the landscape than was normal for Browning at this point in his career. The piece is bizarre in correlation of Browning's other poems, due to the hero's story being glimpsed slowly around the edges, which is subsidiary to the creation of an impression of the hero's mental state.

Kiss with a fist. The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites Dranzer's Avatar

Genres
    Fantasy, Suspense/Mysteries/Thrillers, and True Crime. It's too difficult, and possibly not quite fair for me to pinpoint just one favorite, so I've decided to do a top three type deal. I've always enjoyed fantasies - quests, magic, dragons, phoenixes, elves, and even the Aes Sedai (<3). Suspense/Mysteries/Thrillers or page turners as I've called them before, as much as I like intricate detail and plots that are commonly seen in Fantasies, I like the fast paced theme that this genre has and always makes for an interesting, quick read - or a marathon for the larger books. It's not always a good thing as it can keep me up 'til five a.m. Lastly, I find True Crime novels interesting as hell, I've always found forensics interesting and I really like how actual evidence is pieced into the storytelling. Sometimes it makes for a slightly challenging read as some have immense loads of evidence/factual information included, but nevertheless interesting as all get out.

Authors
    Again, top three: Stephen King, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Ann Rule. King has got to be one of the most bad-ass writers ever. He's able to portray some very easily liked protagonists while simultaneously complimenting them with antagonists I'd like to murder violently if I were to be given the opportunity. Needless to say, I also enjoy some of the dark humor he often uses almost like 'comic relief' when he brings you to points in a story where you almost feel like putting the book down because it's just too damn much.

Tolkien, what can I say about Tolkien? Classic, plain and simple. The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings include some of my favorite books. His imagination even to this day continues to astound me. The entire world he was able to portray in words with such intricate detail will always amaze me.

Last, but not least: Ann Rule. She's honestly the only True Crime author I enjoy reading, she makes the facts pretty easy to follow and is able to hold my interest even through the somewhat dull, if not boring sections. the Stranger Beside Me, Green River, Running Red, and Heart Full of Lies are a few of her more well known books - the first one truly freaked me out and still does (Ted Bundy).

Books
    This really isn't quite fair for me to even try and have a top three, let alone one considering I already mentioned at least seven in the previous section, but I'll list the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

• Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

• the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Lord of the Rings trilogy
    • Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling

• IT by Stephen King

• the Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule

• Green River, Running Red by Ann Rule

• the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

• Under the Dome by Stephen King

• The Green Mile series by Stephen King

There are a ton more, I may edit when it isn't wtf o'clock in the morning.

Poet
    Robert Frost and Edgar Allen Poe. Frost's work always moves me in positive ways: his simplicity is always eloquent. Poe is creepy, dreary, dark, and downright amazing - it's also kinda nifty he was a local, even though I'm no fan of Baltimore.

Poem
    I have to go with the Raven by Poe. I always enjoy reading it, the way the words flow together just makes it one of the most epic pieces of poetry I've read. (I will admit, poetry isn't my largest interest.)

Relaxin' with Final Fantasy The Ultimate Compendium of Favorites KainsBro's Avatar
    Favorite genre would be Fantasy. Love to view other worlds with magic, fantastic creatures, memorable characters, all through the power of imagination...
    A few of my favorite authors:
    George R.R. Martin
    Brandon Sanderson
    Patrick Rothfuss
    Brandon Mull
    Robert Jordan
    And many others...
    Favorite books:
    The Stormlight Archive series, both books are amazing!!
    Song of Ice and Fire series
    Wheel of Time series
    So so many great books...
    If I had to recommend a book that doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention, but is really really great, Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan... He's releasing the next book in his Powder Mage Trilogy, The Crimson Campaign, soon... Loved the first one, can't wait till this one...

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Tapatalk