Thread: The Literary Works of Michael Swayne

TFF's Resident Messenger The Literary Works of Michael Swayne Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Literary Works of Michael Swayne

I don't know if you all know this, but my career as a writer started as a poet. I have been a published poet since age 8. It made my mother so proud. She wrote poems from time to time, and was a featured poet in some literary magazines.

As far as awards and recognition go, I have been published in 5 books (Anthologies of Poetry), as well as feautured on 2 poetry CDs. I have been awarded Certificates of Merit three years in a row (2003, 2004, 2005), and have been invited to read my work for the president.

I haven't written much recently due to my work as a journalist/game critic, but I still write when I feel up to it.

First let me say that all of your comments and suggestions are welcome. I do not mind harsh criticism. I find reading opinions of my work to be more fun than writing the work itself. Some comments I have gotten in the past are so funny. All I ask is that you leave them in the comments thread that I will be making. I would like this thread to contain the work only.

Anyway, enough about me. On to my work.

This first poem was written shortly after my father was awaiting trial for his crimes. I have changed it a little since it was written. The time elements did not fit when he finally read, so I changed it to be more applicable to him. This version is the revised one, because it still works now. Anyway...

My Father's Boots

My father's boots have walked many miles.
    But they do not walk anymore.
    My father's boots just sit there.
    Lifeless leather on the floor.

They've been to California,
    Where the sun always shines.
    My father used to work there,
    While Mom and I stayed behind.

The boots have climbed a mountain,
    They've trudged through foot-high snow.
    They've waded in a river,
    And walked through grass that was freshly mowed.

Now they are empty,
    For the last two years they've sat.
    No foot to go in them,
    Until my father comes back.

Soon his boots will walk.
    I'll hear their pounding steps.
    My father will return and find
    his boots are where they were left.
    Last edited by Michael Swayne; 11-03-2011 at 01:39 PM.

TFF's Resident Messenger The Literary Works of Michael Swayne Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A Week's Worth of Poem

I was asked by my boss to describe a week. I did it the best way I knew how at the time.

A Week's Worth of Poem

Of all the days of the week,
    I think Saturday is the best.
    I get to sleep in a nd watch cartoons.
    This day was made to rest.

Or maybe Thursday is number one,
    Because Thursday I ride my bike.
    Thursday is also "Pay Day",
    And that's something I really like.

Sunday is cool because of how
    It starts the week anew.
    On the calendar it's the first day,
    But elsewhere it's seventh...It's true!

Wednesday is called "Hump Day"
    Because the week is halfway gone.
    Many people like Wednesday,
    though I've never heard it in a song.

I cannot remember why,
    But Friday is really neat.
    I think **** Tracy had a "Friday"
    And I think she was really sweet.

There is a "2" in Tuesday,
    But on my calendar it's day three.
    If I were Tuesday I would
    ask if Monday would switch with me.

There's nothing good about Monday.
    It's the day I love to hate.
    But sometimes instead of seven days,
    I wish the week had eight.

Blog Entries

A Bird in the Fall

A Bird in the Fall

Let the autumn winds blow,
    Let the leaves fall,
    I will watch you go,
    Like a bird in the fall.

I saw you in Spring,
    With your clothes all blue.
    You loooked like a toy,
    All wrapped up and new.

You sang in Summer,
    All light and gay.
    You sang of the future,
    Of how you were going away.

You left in the fall,
    I wept as you flew.
    I couldn't hear your call,
    But I always knew.

In the winter I waited,
    I wished for a sign.
    I saw the snow melt,
    I knew what I would find.

You came once again.
    Your clothes new again.
    Your voice sang again.
    I saw you again.

Let the autumn winds blow.
    Let the leaves fall.
    I watched you go.
    You were a bird in the fall.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Blog Entries

The Search For Leviathan

The following is a piece I wrote for a creative writing contest I entered recently. The main requirement for entry is that it had to be based on a Final Fantasy world. It could be written in any style or format. I chose to do a first-person journal type of piece. Anyway, this morning I received a message from the contest organizer saying I won! My prize is that it will featured on their main web page. I will put the link as soon as it is given to me. As promised in my blog, I will also post it here for any who wish to read it.
    The Search for Leviathan
    Contest Entry by me3lingual

EC 22, Day 24
    The waters around Spira had been getting shallower and shallower ever since the Fayth left the world. Yes, it was for the betterment of Spira and its people; but now the entire planet had changed. Did we really need Sin and the Fayth to balance everything? Does the Eternal Calm really mean Eternal Decline? What happens if all of the water disappears?
    I am Mi, pronounced like “My”. I always hated my name, and how I received it. I was born the day Maester Mika left for the Farplane. Being devout Yevonites, my parents wanted to honor the memory of their leader and named me after him. I can’t blame them, though. They only followed Yevon because that was the only way at the time. As if that wasn’t enough, after Yevon fell they stayed with the church and New Yevon. I was young when all the factions came together and made peace, but my parents would have none of that. We moved to the Moonflow because in their eyes, history didn’t change.
    I am starting this journal because I want to record my memory as I venture to find out where the water is going. I saw in one the old books I am not supposed to read about how the Fayth were in fact able to release their aeon form and not be summoned to do so. But more on that later. It’s getting late. More, tomorrow.
    Mi

EC 22, Day 25
    So I left off yesterday about how there were aeons that didn’t leave when Lady Yuna gave us the Eternal Calm. This old book talked about how the not-so-nice Fayth were able to escape their stone prisons and walk among the living. The text also lists the aeon’s original locations. One is here at the Moonflow!
    That’s the real reason my parents moved us here so long ago. They wanted to protect the past and keep people from diving down in there for technology. I don’t quite understand it, because even I think my parents are creepy religious freaks sometimes. The others stay away from our house because they don’t want to be preached at. I can’t blame them.
    Oh, I have to go. Dad doesn’t know I have his book, and I need to put it back before he notices.
    Mi

EC 22, Day 28
    The tops of the buildings are started to peek above the water. If I am going to do this, it will have to be soon! Without water, everyone will die! Even my parents are starting to get scared. Isn’t this what they wanted? To expose the truth that the Fayth are still needed here? To get people to see the light or whatever?
    I packed some stuff for the trip. I have no idea what is waiting down there, but I am not unprepared. For weeks I have been practicing with my Yo, defeating some fiends around the area. It’s good at range fighting on land, but it’s horrible in the water. I’ll have to go in close or use what magic I know to assist me. The plan is to not fight at all; but with the water level dropping, the fiends are getting more and more violent.
    Tomorrow I am going. I will have to leave before Mom and Dad notice. I have to get the book back while they’re sleeping. I’ll update this as soon as I can.
    Mi

(Yo - A Yo-yo used in combat. Most include blade attachments and can be infused with elemental magic)

EC 22, Day 29
    That was such a long swim! I am glad I packed one of those Al Bhed air thingies. I don’t know what it’s called. I can’t speak Al Bhed, and it just sounds like a bunch of gibberish. Sounds sort of like “Yen Dig”. But it worked, so I’m happy with it.
    I fought some battles, and I thought I was not going to make it. I know some white magic, but for some reason I can’t cast it on myself. I’ve never been able to, it’s just how it is. I have to cast Reflect on an enemy and then cast Cure on it to bounce back and heal myself. Like I wrote before, my Yo proved useless in water. So my limited knowledge in black magic was needed. I can only use Tier I magic like Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, and Water. I managed to win, so I guess it’s not all bad.
    Oh yeah, I haven’t mentioned where I am at. This big underwater building isn’t filled with water, even after hundreds of years. It’s pretty much sealed. The old text said that this building was once a Temple of the Fayth. The story is that a boatman named Levi gave his spirit to Yevon and became the great sea serpent Leviathan. Back then, Spira was just one giant landmass. But Leviathan grew angry because his newly gained power came with a stone prison. He escaped his tomb and carved the Moonflow and set Bikanel, Besaid, Kilika, and several other places adrift.
    Anyway, it is said that Leviathan still resides here. I think his power has grown weak, and that’s why the waters all over Spira have dropped. I don’t know what I will do if I find him. Still, there may be answers somewhere in this place. I will just have to search.
    Mi

EC 22, 30
    What have I gotten myself into? This place is no mere temple. It is a labyrinth of tunnels and staircases! I have no idea where I am, what time it is, and sometimes who I even am! This place is so dark, yet there are lit torches. I am starting to see things move around here, as if there is someone always walking in front of me. They are always turning another corner when I go around one. It is really scary. Is someone down here with me? Could it be Levi back in human form? I just don’t know anymore.
    Mi

EC 22, Day unknown
    I don’t what day it is. But I did find Leviathan’s chamber. It’s magnificent! Nothing like the temple in Bevelle! There is a giant hole just like the others that leads to what my parents called the Farplane. I think I will wait for Leviathan to show up. At least meet with him, see if there is any way to help stop the receding waters. Then I could go back to the surface and tell everyone to help or something. Yeah, get the people to put their minds together and solve this water problem. It’s the only way!
    Mi

EC 22, Day unknown
    There’s still no sign of Leviathan. Is he like other fish and was scared off by my presence? I try to listen for the person I wrote about before, but there aren’t any sounds here. It is really quiet. Still, I can wait. It’s peaceful here.
    Wait, I just heard something. I will be right back. Someone is calling my name. Is it my parents or someone looking for me? Just a sec.

EC 22
    Levi’s friend left this book here.
    Since his friend wrote in it, then Levi wants to write in it, too.
    Levi’s friend stopped breathing the other day.
    Levi was just playing around with him, but he fell into the big hole.
    Levi’s bored now.
    Goodbye Levi’s friend!

(Some Time Later)
    A book was found along the shore of the Moonflow. It was a journal with water-worn pages. Some of the handwriting wasn’t legible, but the cover of the book was easily identified.
    Mi Journal
    Mi’s parents knew this was one of their missing son’s belongings. He would label things with “Mi” rather than “Mi’s” or “My” as a play on his name. A diving team went into the buildings of the Moonflow sunken city. There were nothing but fiends. No sign of the Leviathan Mi mentioned, no Mi, and none of Mi’s other belongings. The divers noticed that several fiends had Reflect status cast on them, as if someone had been helping fiends. Now why would a spell caster help a fiend?
    The Literary Works of Michael Swayne-a_sparkling_book_floating_on_water_u11434441-jpg
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies