Thread: The Dark Tower

Registered User The Dark Tower Locke4God's Avatar

The Dark Tower

WOW, I've been reading The Dark Tower series for the first time, starting about a month ago. I'm halfway through "The Wastelands" right now.

UNBELIEVABLE.

I'll just through out a Spoiler alert for anything that's happened through the first Half of Book 3 and The Comic Series through "The Fall of Gilead"!!! If you haven't read past that, don't worry, neither have I.

I just find this series to be outrageously good. Even when you know what to expect it's still interesting, and the intersections between story arcs that King weaves are magic.

Eddie led Jake to the house with the Mid-World door as a child. Really? Cool! It actually took me several pages to realize that boy Jake saw in his dream was Eddie.

Jake still has the memories of being dropped in the mines. What in the hell would that be like?

And it's so funny too. I tell my wife to make me a Popkin all the time. She hates that.

Theories:

Now I've got some theories that didn't start to occur to me until I was about 100 pages into Book 3.

1. Throughout Book 2, we find that Roland and Walter were able to interject thoughts into people mind's who they'd entered into through a Door. Roland even says that Walter is so adept at this, that the person wouldn't suspect it's not their own thought.

I realized shortly after I read that, that the books up until that point had constantly been refering to subconscious thoughts speaking within a character's mind. Eddie's brother's voice constantly speaks to him. Roland's father or his friend's, constantly were speaking to him. I'd assumed those were thoughts any real person would have, but then I connected that to Roland and Walter interjecting thoughts into others, and the idea of time travel.

I think sometimes there are characters inside the heads of our own characters.

- A future Roland directing himself
    - How about this? Walter/Martin is actually in their heads somewhere from the past or future, leading them into dangerous situations for a few reasons. 1. So they will see him as an enemy
    2. So they will grow as people
    3. So they will see their "destiny"
    4. So that Walter/Martin himself can accomplish his ultimate goal

That's not bringing down or stopping the Gunslinger as he wants them to believe. It's so he can bring down the Crimson King! That's right, Walter, the known troll, doesn't want reality to shatter either, and it'd be much more fun to have feigned allegiance to the Crimson King while using his perceived villiany to rally Roland against him, all the while guiding him to the right places in which to take down the Crimson King.

Uhhhhhg. It's so mind boggling. maybe that's not the way it will go, but damn if this isn't an awesome series!

Thoughts?

Carpe Deim The Dark Tower stanman666's Avatar

Re: The Dark Tower

dude your in for a total mind**** i just got done with the last one about a month ago and i have to say the whole thing is mindblowing by chance have you read the stand ??? walter is the main bad guy in there well randall flagg is any way book 4 was my favorite and by chance have you heard of demons and wizards ?
    Son of a Submariner! You'll pay for this!

Good,,, I'm looking forward to a good mind****ing

And no, I hav enot read the stand, but I've got to say this is my first foray into Stephen King, and I can now see why he's considered to be so good. He can take the smallest idea and really really explore it in an interesting way.

I'm actually hoping to read either Gerald's Game or Missery after the DT series.

Carpe Deim The Dark Tower stanman666's Avatar

those are good two theres a lot of intertwining in the dark tower hell one of the books has a main charterer from one of his books in it i will say this from a buick 8 is boring unless you have read the dark tower but king is crazy only person i think that beats him there is Clive Barker
    Son of a Submariner! You'll pay for this!

Funny you mentioned Clive. I did read Hellbound Heart. That's pretty good actually. Short, but he gets a lot of mileage out of it.

I never know what people think of Anne Rice, but I've read about 5 of hers. I highly recommend Vitorio the Vampire, and even moreso, Memnoch the Devil, which is basically the Anne Rice world Bible. Do it after you've read some of her other books though. I wasn't as much into Queen of the Damned, but I would highly recommend reading Armand, Blood & Gold (Marius), and Lestat. The 3 really weave in and out of eachother incredibly well.