Thread: What stuff have you been listening to lately?

Blog Entries

What stuff have you been listening to lately?

Hey y'all. TFF is pretty dead, isn't it? I thought I'd start another thread along the veins of "what are you currently listening to," except, y'know, like, slightly different, or something.

In that it's new.

And I'm going suggest talking about music genres, bands, playlists, etc., for responses.

No lists! Talk a little bit about something to do with your choice. Describe the band, describe your mood, describe the situation in which you are listening right now, describe why it appeals to you right now, or all of the above, I guess.

I've been listening to stuff a lot at work, lately. I've had all my music on random, but I've tried to pinpoint from that what I REALLY want to listen to. I've made a few playlists that didn't work out for me, but now, I've made a list of albums that mostly came out this year, or stuff I've first heard this year, or stuff I didn't listen to much when I bought it, but wish I had.

I got a lot of Skate Punk/Punk Metal/Prog Metal stuff going on on this list, with some 90s alternative-style stuff, and some Americana/Alt Country stuff.

Strung Out just released an album yesterday, and I really like it thus far. They are skate punk. Saw them at Warped Tour a few years back, and was kinda bummed at how small the crowd was to watch them. They're really good, still. Also got Ten Foot Pole's newest album. Both those bands are from the 90s, though Ten Foot Pole stretches back to the 80s, if you count their previous band name in that.

Also got PUP's new album on here, "Morbid Stuff." I think they're one of the new Pop Punk scene bands. They're new to this decade, I think, anyway.

Then there's also this band "DrunkTank," who I don't know much about, but they're probably cool. I think they're newish, too. They're like a cross between skate punk and metal. Also a girl punk band from Israel, "Not on Tour," with an album with a high track count, but a run time of 22 minutes. There's also this band "Dropfist," with a 7 track album, that's like prog metal, I guess. I put the last Dillinger Escape Plan album on there too, because I didn't listen to it much when it came out. Also I got the two oldest Four Year Strong albums that I'm aware of on there.

Then I got the new Get Up Kids, and their side project, "Radar State," on there. I think I like the Radar State album better than the Get Up Kids, but both are good. Get Up Kids were popular in the late 90s/early 2000s, a Jimmy Eat World-type band. I'm old. Also, I put the last Verucca Salt album on the list, because I barely listened to it when it came out, but some of the songs have crept back onto my radar as I listen to everything on shuffle.

Then I got three tracks that the Avett Brothers released without an album in the past year (they're the alt country band. They're fairly popular. You've probably heard of them, unless you haven't). Oh wait, I also got the newest Reel Big Fish on there. I barely listened to that because it was slow and stuff. Dunno if it will last on the list.

I guess the whole thing has a kind of nostalgic feel, but also a more current feel. It's nothing I listened to a decade ago, I don't think, but it's maybe stuff I would have listened to. Except the Dillinger Escape Plan.

I feel like I should delete most of this, but I'm not going to.

Music is almost the only thing that I spend money on these days, besides booze and food. And gas. Gotta get gas. The stuff I put on this list makes me happy right now, for whatever reason. If I can ignore whatever the fuck else is going on in the world right now for a minute because of it, I guess that's a plus. Videa james just don't do it for me anymore, for the most part.

The Mad God What stuff have you been listening to lately? Heartless Angel's Avatar
    Currently listening to Ayreon's Theory of everything album. One of my favorite prog bands, great sort of rock opera album. In general my music habits lately consist primarily of prog metal, melodeath and symphonic power metal. With a sprinkling of folk metal here and there. It helps me stay focused at work when I can drown out my surroundings, and that sort of music is just really good at absorbing all my attention. I particularly enjoy rock operas, and Ayreon have some of the best. Theory of Everything resonates with me in particular most likely because I'm a high functioning autist myself, so I can kind of get into the main character's headspace a bit. TSO's Beethoven's Last Night is another one I listen to fairly regularly.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    I listened to most of the previews of that album, "The Theory of Everything." It was kinda hard to find, because if you just search for Ayreon on iTunes, you get some dubstep single. On bandcamp, also, he apparently never released that album. But then I just searched for the "The Theory of Everything" on iTunes, and I found it. I listened to most the previews for the album, which are like a minute and a half long, and was listening for at least a half hour, maybe forty-five minutes, I think. It sounds pretty cool. I didn't want to buy it because it was $13, tho. I'd apparently prefer to spend that kinda money on the second season soundtrack to One Punch Man, or a huge bottle of burgundy. It sounded cool, tho!

The Mad God What stuff have you been listening to lately? Heartless Angel's Avatar
    Ayreon - The Theory of Everything (Album Lyric Video) - YouTube

I got you, my dude. The Theory of Everything in its full hour-and-a-half glory.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Bananarama What stuff have you been listening to lately? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I haven't necessarily been listening to anything new. I've really gotten into southern rock acts like Drive-by Truckers, Jason Isbell and Lucero.

Usually I just listen to sports talk radio because I'm a masochist and love to hear about how shitty my teams are
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Blog Entries
    I used to listen to Dan Patrick, Jim Rome, Petros and Money, Ben Maller, etc., on occasion. My music on random has dominated my car rides, since I figured out how to put a usb drive in my car, however, heh. Although right now, my car has been out of commission, and I've been driving my friends' car... Could've been listening to talk radio. It's not football season, tho, and the only non-football teams I care about are my schools' teams, who those guys will never talk about, because... yeah, heh. Not even when they fuggin' won the College World Series in baseball, last year "OMG, what's Lebron gonna do? It's offseason in basketball, but this is ALL we're gonna talk about!"

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth What stuff have you been listening to lately? Xanatos's Avatar
    My taste in music has been all over the place lately. From Alan Walker, Hi Finesse, Audiomachine to youtube cover artists like Peter Hollens, even shit I'm ashamed to say I listen to. While at work I just let youtube sift through recommendations until I end up in unknown waters, sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, how I stumbled onto Insomnium.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Death Before Dishonor What stuff have you been listening to lately? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have been listening to alot of Iron and Wine lately. Generally it isn't my type of music, but lately it has appealed to me. I'm in a stressful few months at my job and usually come home in a shit mood. Listen to a little Iron and Wine and it puts me in a good mood. Gentle sounds nothing to crazy puts me in a good mood whenever I hear. Doesn\t hurt the dude has a voice of an angel.

My music choice is usually all over the place I was listening to Chief Keef on the way to work, and now i'm listening to Sublime.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Blog Entries
    I really liked Iron and Wine's collab ep with Calexico. I do like the dude's voice from Iron & Wine, and always thought they were good, but for whatever reason, I've never gotten a proper album of theirs. I have, however, gotten some Calexico stuff, heh. You might check them out, too. They're chill music to listen to too.

Iron & Wine, my favorites from all the times but I don't have their albums neither.

Last edited by Shivaa; 09-12-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Bananarama What stuff have you been listening to lately? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I too liked Iron & Wine, particularly in college. I'm thinking I'll buy some of their songs on iTunes now.

I'm also looking forward to getting my lazy ass to buy the new Tool album. I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I haven't yet
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

TFF's Resident Messenger What stuff have you been listening to lately? Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I usually only listen to music when I am driving to work, and lately my go-to for driving music is the soundtrack to Carole & Tuesday. The songs throughout the anime are all over in terms of genre, from pop to indie to whatever you want to call this...

And with my commute to work being about 40 minutes one way, it is a way to get in a whole album before and/or after work.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies