Thread: The "Outsider" Genre

Blog Entries

The "Outsider" Genre

(Y'know, maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like this particular topic was discussed before. However, not finding it when I search for it. Sorry if this was just discussed a few months ago and the thread got deleted for whatever reason.)

So the other day, my friend and I were messing with another friend's pandora radio, looking up annoying stations to put on it. My friend looked up the song "Fish Heads," wanting the original by Barnes and Barnes, but instead found the cover by a guy named "Wild Man Fischer." We heard a few more songs on his station, and I decided that he was awesome. Then I found out that he was actually certifiably crazy, that he died last year, and there is a documentary about him. He tried to stab his mom with a kitchen knife when he was 16 and got admitted to an insane asylum, and then he got out somehow and wandered the streets of San Fransisco, singing songs to people for a dime each, until Frank Zappa found him. And then he threw a bottle at Moon Unit Zappa's head, so they had a falling out. I wanna watch that documentary some time.

But yeah; apparently this guy started the "outsider" genre, of which two artists I already knew of belonged to: Wesley Willis and Daniel Johnston. Both of whom also have documentaries about them, apparently. Both have some pretty good songs, like Speeding Motorcycle and The Beatles for Daniel Johnston, or Get on the Bus, The Bar is Closed, or Bird Man Kicked My Ass by Wesley Willis (Your Mileage May Vary). Was especially familiar with Wesley Willis because of my elder brother: he had this Squirt TV segment on a vhs tape, and talked about this time Five Iron Frenzy played a show with him. Apparently he left his keyboard on the stage and someone locked it in a thing up there. During their set, he tried to bust the door down, and said something along the lines of "I don't wanna kill anybody, I just want my keyboard back!" My bro also did a hidden track on the first W's album about Five Iron frenzy in the style of Wesley Willis. It used to be on youtube, but apparently it isn't anymore. People thought that was his actual singing voice...

Anyway, does anyone know of any other outsider artists? I find myself fascinated now. I thought there were only a few, and that it wasn't a "genre." Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
    Last edited by Taco-Calamitous; 08-12-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Some corrections