A few weeks ago, I was at work, listening to the podcast "Best Midwestern," because podcasts keep me sane at that job. They've been doing a series about music from all of the Midwestern states, and this one was on Minnesota. They started talking about an older musician by the name of "Bob Mould," who had just come out with a new album this year, and the sample they played from it sounded pretty cool. Also, they talked about his old bands, including Hüsker Dü, who had apparently been really influential to 90's alternative, but I don't think they actually still existed in the 90's (evidently, they formed in 79). I decided to look for them on YouTube, and listened to this song:

It reminds me so much of the alternative bands I really liked in the 90's--and some bands that still sound like that today. Or, maybe, those bands remind me of Hüsker Dü. Apparently, in an interview, Dave Grohl said that Hüsker Dü were doing the Nirvana sound before Nirvana, and they also inspired a lot of other bands:

It's really odd to me that I'd never heard of them before, although most music I know from that time period, I knew because my older brother listened to it, and he said he never listened to them, for whatever reason.

But yeah. Hüsker Dü was apparently a very important band to Alternative Rock music. And they started out as a Hardcore Punk band. Those are two of my favorite genres (though the 90's alternative, I like a bit more). If you think 90's alternative killed 80's hair metal and you hate it because of that, I suppose this is one of the bands you hate, lawl.