Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012)

Traitors Can't Hide. TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Phoenix Rising's Avatar

TFF Photography Contest (April 2012)

I had this brilliant idea that we would have a photography contest for the community. Each member who wants to participate will take a photograph and post it in this thread. At the end of the month, we will vote on who took the best photo. I will attach a poll to this thread once 15 people upload photos or the month of April ends, whichever happens first.

Some rules for the contest:
    1. Only one photo per person, so make sure you take a good one.
    2. Keep the photograph decent, in other words no sexually explicit content.
    3. Only submit a photograph that you have personally taken within the month of April.
    4. No photo manipulation (such as Photoshop) or any other editing of photographs.
    5. Try to avoid taking pictures of individuals, however if you simply must take a picture of a person and they are clearly recognizable in the photo, please ask for their permission first (as required by US law).
    6. No making or using "alt accounts" to vote for your own photo, thus cheating.
    Last edited by Phoenix Rising; 04-05-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Boxer of the Galaxy TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Rowan's Avatar

Re: TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012)

This is a fantastic idea but I have one problem with one of the rules. Photoshop and editing software should be allowed as they are a way of perfecting and bringing out beauty in photos. They shouldnt be seen as a form of cheating but rather a way of perfecting an otherwise brilliant photograph. By denying the use of editing software you would deny the ability to slow people to adjust and focus on the things they want to stand out. A great photo can use editing software, a horrible photo can also utilize it, but you would be able to see it and therfor bad jobs wouldn't win. You can tell when someone has overexcited and it looks horrible, so it should it should be allowed.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Xanatos's Avatar

Not all of us know how to use photoshop, those who are great at it can make breathtaking photos out of nothing, imagine them nerfing a really great one so yea, it is kinda of a cheating. Other than that I'm all up for this contest.

EDIT: Are we allowed to use one of our older photos?
    Last edited by Xanatos; 04-05-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Traitors Can't Hide. TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Phoenix Rising's Avatar

@Rowan
    An interesting idea, what does everyone think, should photo editing be allowed?

@Xanatos
    Photos should be taken in the current contest's month (April) or at the very latest, in the month prior (March).

Bananarama TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the idea of NOT using Photoshop. Having the contest limited to just a person and their camera really makes the photographer take several variables into account, that could easily be mitigated with a program. This makes it more pure in my mind, like going and scoping out something awesome, and then getting it in the right light, or the right mood around it, instead of just artificially throwing things in there, or layering images.

Plus, it's a contest to judge the best photograph/ photographer, not the best photoshopper, to be technical.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I like the idea of NOT using Photoshop. Having the contest limited to just a person and their camera really makes the photographer take several variables into account, that could easily be mitigated with a program. This makes it more pure in my mind, like going and scoping out something awesome, and then getting it in the right light, or the right mood around it, instead of just artificially throwing things in there, or layering images.

Plus, it's a contest to judge the best photograph/ photographer, not the best photoshopper, to be technical.
    I'm going to have to third this. So that's three against using Photoshop and one for using it. Would anyone else like to weigh in?

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Rising View Post
    Photos should be taken in the current contest's month (April) or at the very latest, in the month prior (March).
    Shame though, I had several really great ones... I also apologize for posing this question in the first place seeing as the answer was in the opening post.

Registered User TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Halie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with Rowan. I'm taking a Photography course and photo manipulation is a large chunk of it. However, I think there should be some sort of limit to it. For example if a person takes a photo and then edits in in Photoshop and it looks like a completely different photo then I don't think that should be allowed, because that showcases their skills in Photoshop and not photography skills. But if they only make slight tweaks here and there then I think that's okay, it's still showcasing their photography skills. So maybe there should be someone to review the final photos and the original stock photos they took to see if they're acceptable?

Editing is absolutely essential to any photographers portfolio. Just because photos can be edited, it doesnt always mean they look goodC and those will be the photos that don't win.

It gives people who are good at Photoshop an unfair advantage over those who aren't. This isn't Facepunch, we don't have a Photoshop contests.

Registered User TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Halie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Rising View Post
    It gives people who are good at Photoshop an unfair advantage over those who aren't. This isn't Facepunch, we don't have a Photoshop contests.
    Just because a person uses Photoshop doesn't mean their photo will be the best... And you said it yourself, it's a photography contest, you'd be paying more attention to the actual photography than the Photoshop skill. So it shouldn't be a problem for you, especially if there are limits, like I said previously.

I do what you can't. TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Sasquatch's Avatar

Porque no los dos?

Why not make a "photoshop" and "non-photoshop" category?

If only one group, however, I'd have to throw a vote behind "no photoshop". Real photography is more about filters, lenses, and lighting than what you can do on a computer. That's not photography, that's graphic editing.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by Halie View Post
    Just because a person uses Photoshop doesn't mean their photo will be the best...
    That doesn't mean it still doesn't give them an unfair advantage over the others.

All I'm saying is that editing software is as much apart of photography than taking the photo itself. The skill of being able to edit perfection is and should be allowed simply because it's a major part of photography. If you would refer to the contest as something like "most profound raw image from a camera" then sure. But really, how are you going to be able to tell an amazing photo that didn't use photoshop from an amazing photo that did?

Also, you speak of unfair advantage, what about those of us who don't have slr cameras and expensive lenses? Those cameras can capture stunning images. I myself don't use one because I'm not that dedicated to photography, but I'm somewhat an expert at editing (don't care sound arrogant, I am) I've been doing it for years and to be told that I can't use it because it's not fair on people that can't is actually pretty unfair on me since it's my stronger point.

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    All I'm saying is that editing software is as much apart of photography than taking the photo itself. The skill of being able to edit perfection is and should be allowed simply because it's a major part of photography. If you would refer to the contest as something like "most profound raw image from a camera" then sure. But really, how are you going to be able to tell an amazing photo that didn't use photoshop from an amazing photo that did?

Also, you speak of unfair advantage, what about those of us who don't have slr cameras and expensive lenses? Those cameras can capture stunning images. I myself don't use one because I'm not that dedicated to photography, but I'm somewhat an expert at editing (don't care sound arrogant, I am) I've been doing it for years and to be told that I can't use it because it's not fair on people that can't is actually pretty unfair on me since it's my stronger point.
    Well the most obvious thing would to make the contest as balanced as possible despite what is apart of photography and what is not.
    Not everyone is good at photoshopping pictues, not everyone has the software, or the money or knowledge (cracking) to get the program.
    A raw image would be the easiest, most balanced way of doing the competition.

So just because everyone doesn't have the money or have a DSLR lying around means you should be able to use an editing program? Instead of trying to even the playing field you just throw another disadvantage to those who don't have either?

Also, you speak of unfair advantage, what about those of us who don't have slr cameras and expensive lenses? Those cameras can capture stunning image.
    I'll tell you what I'm going to use to take my photo... Samsung G810 and it's ground breaking 5MP camera, I imagine others will use something similar, in other words a measly mobile phone, perhaps a decent digital camera. I hardly believe anyone's taking this as seriously as to dish out some impressive equipment just to win a forum contest.

Also, what Bias said.

Well if you don't give a crap and arnt taking it seriously why the hell do you care if someone uses an editing program or not? Make up your minds guys...

Memento RK TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Yoko's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like you all are back to square one. If you want a photoshop competition, make one. This person was kind enough to bring up the idea. Not debate about it.

I don't have a photo to submit, but I would like to for the fun of it.
    [CENTER]
    The one and ONLY Female member of CPC8 Makin' it HAPPEN!

Things!!:

Sneaky Member of EVIL BAD GUYS

MSN RANDOMS:
    Brett Litz says (5:50 PM)
    (my first letter of my first name key is ****ed up, so i can't type that)
    vrett
    -_-
    ve yourself
    is what i said
    not "do you"
    ugh

Best RP:Final Fantasy Chronicles of Exigo~The Fall of Spira
    Check it out. The Fall of Spira is finished!

Well if you don't give a crap and arnt taking it seriously why the hell do you care if someone uses an editing program or not? Make up your minds guys...
    You're taking this way too seriously, but if editing what I asume is already a beautifull photo via photoshop... which indeed gives you advantage over those who either don't own a photoshop or just lack required skill, perhaps even both, which also goes against what this guy had in mind for this contest... means that much to you then by all means, go for it, you have my blessing.

Then we all lose to those that live in the landscapes of the beautiful unfair lands of new Zealand. GG.

Blog Entries

Then we all lose to those that live in the landscapes of the beautiful unfair lands of Iowa. GG.
    Fixed for accuracy.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

#LOCKE4GOD TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

About the most important issue in this thread: Rowan is right, Rocky is wrong.
    Last edited by Alpha; 04-07-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Bananarama TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's not a landscape competition per se though, so New York would win, fo sho.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

TFF's Resident Messenger TFFF Photography Contest (April 2012) Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since this is the first contest, why don't people just submit their photos no matter how much of it has been edited? Then, if there is to be a similar contest in the future, the rules can be changed accordingly to keep things fair.

Besides, if everyone keeps debating about the little stuff, there won't be any photos to choose from and this contest will have to change it's name to "The World is Ending Tomorrow so let's finally have this April 2012 Photo Contest".
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Well I guess this settles it, no Photoshop.

I guess that settles it... But noone will know...

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

Is Lightroom for post-processing okay? =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think a bigger advantage for someone would be having a decent camera, and not knowledge of Photoshop or other editing software. I own nothing better than the camera on my 4th Generation iTouch (0.7MP... fml), but someone like Halie may have access to a really nice Canon with 10MP (for example). So there's really loads of advantages and disadvantages people will have over another, despite me being a believer that "the best camera is the one you have with you". Will there be limitations to the amount of megapixels we're allowed to use too? How about lenses? How about what we're actually allowed to take a picture of (landscape, still, kitchen, pets, etc)?

I think editing software should be allowed. I like using filters and frames (honestly, a photo with the right frame makes the photo deeper in my opinion - is important). Sometimes the filter is just to get the light right. If someone spends longer than five minutes in editing, then you know they've edited too much. I think not being able to use software limits you somewhat.

I dunno. I think it should be allowed. It's become too much of a necessity in modern photography to be ignored, and if you don't know how to use it, maybe you should learn? Hell, you don't even need to know anything about Photoshop - there's about a hundred different apps you can download from the App Store (provided you have an Apple product). I use InstaGram, which is quite nice for picking general lighting effects and frames (I dislike the other effects - they do too much to a photo).

EDIT: Sorry, *Pixlromantic. I spend too much time on Twitter lol. I don't like InstaGram at all.
    Last edited by Unknown Entity; 04-08-2012 at 07:34 PM.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

The thing is there is no way to regulate these rules so why bother putting them in place?

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar

Sasquatch's idea is best idea. The thread's pretty split as it is, so you might as well just split it into two categories.

The thing is there is no way to regulate these rules so why bother putting them in place?
    Most cameras/cells will leave data behind in the image file about what the camera used, what lens, shutter speeds, etc., etc. It's possible to regulate. However, I think what Unknown was trying to say was that banning Photoshop won't make it any more or less fair; there are so many other things that will have a greater impact.

Plus, for the people who don't have great cameras, photoshop may be their only recourse for keeping up. I personally just want clarification on lighter apps like Lightroom. Even film users would have a darkroom to adjust exposure and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast