Thread: Star Trek Into Darkness

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Star Trek Into Darkness Xanatos's Avatar

Star Trek Into Darkness

Just saw Star Trek Into Darkness and it was amazing to say the least, the very first movie where I actually enjoyed 3D, spears were flying everywhere, debris would pop out every now and then, volcano ashes and space particles were beautiful and that's just the taste of it. I said it once and I'll say it again J.J. Abrams couldn't find better cast to play the original crew.

As for my main man Benedict Cumberbatch aka Sherlock, he was simply badass, he stole the show if you ask me. Once I become billionaire I'll hire him to read me bead time stories, that's how epic his voice is. I'm pretty sure he would give Morgan Freeman run for his money.

The movie was action packed but had tons of fan service.

*SPOILERS*

KHAAAAAAN! The entire movie, last third in particular, was a huge throwback to Wrath of Khan, granted certain roles were reversed though. Overall I feel Benedict did Khan justice. And even though hardcore trekkies, Wrath of Khan fans in general, knew the outcome certain parts were still emotional, kinda like Crisis Core to Final Fantasy fans.

*SPOILERS*

Those who saw Star Trek Into Darkness, share your thoughts.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Sir Prize Star Trek Into Darkness Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A british guy as the bad guy! What a trendsetter... What a trailblazer... Oh Star Trek, you really showed up Star Wars, Indiana Jones and every movie with a villain, ever.

Still, going to see it tomorrow. But idk, Benedict Cumberbitch has been in EVERYTHING lately. The Hobbit, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, War Horse, Star Trek, The Last Enemy... I liked it better back when he was just that guy on Sherlock and Cabin Pressure.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

G'day Star Trek Into Darkness NikkiLinkle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I saw this yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I also saw it in 3D which I'm not a fan of, but I enjoyed that as well. I was originally going to see the normal version but there was a kerfuffle at the cinema and they put the wrong one on haha. I've never watched any of the original Star Trek series, but now I really want to.

Very nice movie. Saw the premiere on Tuesday at IMAX without 3D, which failed to work that day. Oh well, it was just as good or better than that 3d makes the screen stand out and look smaller, at least for me. I also got a courtesy ticket from the manager to see any IMAX 3d or not 3d movie for free. Movie was pretty awesome, but you know what would be even more awesome? If it were even longer. The way it was made, which was fantastic to say the least, it was begging to be even longer.
    Last edited by Odin1199; 05-18-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Just came home from the movie. I have to admit. It's easily a 10/10. I was wrong. Cumberbatch was a great villain. Mark the day. You heard me admit I was wrong.

-Sin

The Old Skool Warrior Star Trek Into Darkness LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I dunno if I'd have given it a 10 but it's a damn solid 9. I really can't understand the things people aren't liking about this movie.

Cumberbatch was brilliant. Effectively an evil Sherlock, but damn. I mean, that role is versatile enough and he plays it SO WELL.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Star Trek Into Darkness Incognitus's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    I dunno if I'd have given it a 10 but it's a damn solid 9. I really can't understand the things people aren't liking about this movie.

Cumberbatch was brilliant. Effectively an evil Sherlock, but damn. I mean, that role is versatile enough and he plays it SO WELL.
    I'd give it a rock solid 9.5. The only knock I can give it is that it was pretty predictable. It was easy to see where things were going for anyone with even a cursory knowledge of the past movies (and for spoiler reasons, I won't go into more detail) when it drew some obvious parallels. Will I see it again in the theaters? Hell yes. Will I see it a third time in theaters? Probably yes.

My favorite part was
    SPOILER!!:
    when John Harrison was dispensing indiscriminate justice on a dozen or so Klingons. That solidified him as the badass everyone thought he would be. And hey, Klingons!
    Hero façade. Villain at heart.

Blog Entries
    I will say one thing...it was INCREDIBLY predictable. But then, that didn't end up being such a bad thing...I'm looking at YOU Iron Man 3!

-Sin

Certified tech, come at me! Star Trek Into Darkness SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I saw this movie today and I loved it. I felt the beginning was a bit bland but as soon as it picked up in action it started getting interesting. The storyline was pretty well told, it was pretty faithful to the original Star Trek films for throwbacks, great characters, good humor, soundtrack was great. I definitely will watch it again, I should watch the first film some more since I have it around the house. If J.J. Abrams can direct films of this quality, I'm pretty sure any following Star Trek films and the upcoming Star Wars films are in good hands.
    Currently Playing:

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Star Trek Into Darkness Incognitus's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    *ACTIVITY STREAM SPOILER ALERT*

I really liked that the movie
    SPOILER!!:
    started off on an away mission where they violated all sorts of Federation codes and the Prime Directive---the ol' "**** RULES! SAVE LIVES!" mandate was alive and well. They captured both the exploratory and the philanthropist spirit of Star Trek nicely there, even if it was brief. That was nice to see. Star Trek is not all space battles, crazy action sequences and revenge plots.
    And this part of the movie resulted in consequences that fed into the main plot!
    Last edited by Incognitus; 05-19-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: trouble with tribbles
    Hero façade. Villain at heart.

The Quiet One Star Trek Into Darkness Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I guess I'm the only one that didn't like the movie. It was Abrams once thinking he knew what Star Trek was, but decided do his own thing as well. The movie was even more bipolar than the first one and it was pretty badly bipolar. It didn't know if wanted to be hand fisted homage quote fest or something unique. When you try to do both you fail at achieving either of them. What's worse here is that they lifted nearly a whole scene from a different Star Trek with just enough different dialogue to remind you that it wasn't trying to re-enact the same scene. Then on top of that they completely diminish any impact the scene had by later events.

Chris Pine was more likeable in this movie, but still too pouting and whiny. He feels less like he's playing let's pretend to be Captain in this movie. So there's improvements made. Benedict I felt over emphasized nearly all of his lines making it nearly impossible to treat him seriously. And Chris Pine felt like he was trying to copy him. You don't need your mouth open to its maximum to speak your lines.

And the inside of the Enterprise. They didn't know if they wanted to be an iPad or a 1960's Nuclear Submarine. The design is so contrary it made no sense.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Blog Entries
    Went and saw it today with Julie, thought it was pretty damn amazing. I laughed at pretty much all the jokes, was enthralled by the action, and moved by the emotional scenes. Thought all the special effects were really good, though I didn't see it in 3D because I am not fond of 3D. Thought all the acting was really good too. So I pretty much disagree with all of Andromeda's sentiments, heh. About the only thing I didn't like
    SPOILER!!:
    was when Spock yelled out "KAAAAAAAHHHHHNNN!!!" I thought that was pretty cheesy and unintentionally funny. Took me right out of the movie for a second there.
    I've heard there were complaints about the ending. While I'm not exactly sure what the complaints were about, I think I have a good idea what it was, and I disagree.
    SPOILER!!:
    I'm guessing it's that Captain Kirk came back to life. Maybe it cheapens the emotional impact or whatever, but I was pretty sure that he wasn't going to stay dead anyway; he's the main character, after all. Besides, the original movies brought Spock back too, and in a sillier fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognitus View Post
    My favorite part was
    SPOILER!!:
    when John Harrison was dispensing indiscriminate justice on a dozen or so Klingons. That solidified him as the badass everyone thought he would be. And hey, Klingons!
    Yes, this was awesome Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

The Mad God Star Trek Into Darkness Heartless Angel's Avatar
    While the new actor played the role well, I can never accept any Khan other than Ricardo Montalban. Outside of that, awesome movie. I love the way it drew parallels to Wrath of Khan, while still not just repeating it. I'd like to see a new TV series based on this timeline.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Star Trek Into Darkness Xanatos's Avatar
    I was appalled at how many "trekkies" didn't like this movie, even more so by their beef with J.J. Abrams, partially for being a Star Wars fan. I have yet to see how he butchered the entire lore, not saying he did not make some flaws, though let's be honest, half of Star Trek movies did/are far worse and those were made by so called Star Trek fans.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    though let's be honest, half of Star Trek movies did/are far worse and those were made by so called Star Trek fans.
    lulz, yup.
    Star Trek Nemesis: 38% on Rotten Tomatoes
    Star Trek: Insurrection: 55% on Rotten Tomatoes
    Star Trek: First Contact: 92% on Rotten Tomatoes
    Star Trek: Generations: 47% on Rotten Tomatoes

So the only Star Trek movies with a favorable overall reaction from critics in the last 22 years are First Contact... and the two movies in the reboot. Go figure. Even then, Into Darkness has a better overall rating by critics than most the older movies; only First Contact and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan are rated higher. The first movie in the franchise has a 44% rating. Not even friggen' Star Trek IV has as good a review, and that movie had whales and fish out of water humor! (It's probably my favorite of the numbered Star Trek movies.) Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom