Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Restore my faith in anime!

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Restore my faith in anime! Xanatos's Avatar

Restore my faith in anime!

Black Lagoon was the last half decent anime I saw, and that was like what, half a year ago. It's hard for me to get into anime anymore to be honest, I'm losing interest with each passing day, I feel like I saw everything worth seeing. I need something good, something to bring me back. I'll list some of my favorites so you can get general idea of what I like...

- top tier

Cowboy Bebop
    Death Note
    Dragonball Z
    FullMetal Alchemist/Brotherhood
    Fruits Basket
    Golden Boy
    GunGrave

- mid tier

Black Lagoon
    Code Geass
    Full Metal Panic!
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Samurai Champloo
    Vision of Escaflone
    Z.O.E. Dolores,i

... there you have it, let's hear your recommendations, and please go into details as to why I should see that particular anime. Also, medium sized anime if possible, avoid the likes of Naruto, Bleach and One Piece, filler fests with no end at sight.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Yu Yu Hakusho

Only anime I really watch other than Bebop and Champloo.
    I put Champloo at higher status only because of era.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Boxer of the Galaxy Restore my faith in anime! Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    - mid tier

Black Lagoon
    Code Geass
    Full Metal Panic!
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Samurai Champloo
    Vision of Escaflone
    Z.O.E. Dolores,i

get out.
    What classifies a good anime to you? Because as far as standards go, DBZ is pathetic in comparison to your top tier and especially mid tier list. This is coming from someone who's seen all DBZ. Theres no emotion, no substance and shitty plot. Samurai champloo is a masterpiece in terms of originality and style. Anime should not be judged solely based on their endings (assuming why it made your mid teir), but as a whole.

Reccomendations based on the fact ive seen 60 percent of what you listed.
    -Elfen Lied (12 episodes(ithink)/sienen/horror/gore/tragedy)
    -Paranoia Agent (12 episodes/horror/mystery/mind****)

and here is the almighty. Have you got the stomach to chew down a 74 episode masterpiece?
    -Monster (horror/detective/mystery)
    such a vague description of such an epic journey. Not even gonna bother describing it, cause you're gonna watch it.
    Last edited by Rowan; 05-19-2014 at 04:45 PM.

I invented Go-Gurt. Restore my faith in anime! Clint's Avatar
    I second Yu Yu Hakusho. It's a fantastic anime.

I'd also recommend Soul Eater, Black Butler, and Eden of the East. I'm not going to go into detail, because they're all great, and they're a must-see if you're a fan of anime.

Even though you specifically stated not to recommend Naruto, I would like to recommend Naruto Shippuden. It's a better story with a lot less filler, and the filler presented is directly related to the main story. And it has an end in sight. The manga ends this year, and the anime will be finished by next year.

The Quiet One Restore my faith in anime! Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've seen too much anime probably. So I'll rattle off a few, but an idea of the type you want to watch would help to narrow things down. Attack on Titan, Log Horizon, Sword Art Online, Monogatari (and by extension Bakemonogatari), Golden Time, Hyouka, Nagi no Asukara, Kill la Kill and Steins;Gate.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Restore my faith in anime! Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    get out.
    What classifies a good anime to you? Because as far as standards go, DBZ is pathetic in comparison to your top tier and especially mid tier list. This is coming from someone who's seen all DBZ. Theres no emotion, no substance and shitty plot. Samurai champloo is a masterpiece in terms of originality and style. Anime should not be judged solely based on their endings (assuming why it made your mid teir), but as a whole.

Reccomendations based on the fact ive seen 60 percent of what you listed.
    -Elfen Lied (12 episodes(ithink)/sienen/horror/gore/tragedy)
    -Paranoia Agent (12 episodes/horror/mystery/mind****)

and here is the almighty. Have you got the stomach to chew down a 74 episode masterpiece?
    -Monster (horror/detective/mystery)
    such a vague description of such an epic journey. Not even gonna bother describing it, cause you're gonna watch it.

To be perfectly honest DBZ is there mostly out of nostalgia, I'm well aware it lacks in story, it's shallow, no two ways about it, but then again it's one of those shows you love for simple reasons. I love its characters and their interactions, not to mention lore, music and the fighting scenes.

It has nothing to do with the ending, I wasn't bothered by it to be honest, while enjoyable it simply did not have the same impact on me like my top tier list had. GunGrave for instance made me cry like a little baby.

I saw Elfen Lied, not really a fan, I'll be sure to check Paranoia Agent first, something I'm bound go through in several days. Monster sounds intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Hackman View Post
    I second Yu Yu Hakusho. It's a fantastic anime.

I'd also recommend Soul Eater, Black Butler, and Eden of the East. I'm not going to go into detail, because they're all great, and they're a must-see if you're a fan of anime.

Even though you specifically stated not to recommend Naruto, I would like to recommend Naruto Shippuden. It's a better story with a lot less filler, and the filler presented is directly related to the main story. And it has an end in sight. The manga ends this year, and the anime will be finished by next year.
    I found Naruto manga to be brilliant, way better than Bleach, had to drop it though as I was gaining up fast, I'll wait until it's finished after all.

Thank you all for your recommendations, I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to check some of these.

Blog Entries
    Both seasons of Seitokai Yakuindomo (26 eps), and all the ovas (8 so far, more planned running up to season 3).

Also you shouldn't pass up on Sword Art Online (25 eps), they made a ova "Extra Edition" - it's up for free at Daisuki / Aniplex to watch with multiple subs ^_^.

All I got for now.
    SPOILER!!:

^_^

I must be the only person ever to think SAO is shallow and weak. The concept is cool, drew me in. But after 5 episodes, I cbf with it. Am I really missing out?

Blog Entries
    Sword Art Online does well at times to hit on some interesting ideas about how people would deal with a situation of being stuck in a virtual reality and how their lives and a new society grows around it. But it doesn't get in as deep as you'd like about the ideas. At the end of the day it is an action anime and love story. Due to a fair bit of the side stories included, it does diminish the focus of the love story. But the side stories are well it explores the ideas of the VR world and effects it has on people. It a really good anime, but the second half isn't as solid as the first half. Most consider the Alfheim arc to the weakest of the 6 arcs.

Log Horizon is a better anime that explores the impact of being stuck in a VR world, though it is a little more comedic at times than the much more serious SAO.

Hm, I see your taste in anime is rather similar to mine. So here are a few recommendations:

07-Ghost (25 eps, 2009)
    SPOILER!!:
    Barsburg Empire's Military Academy is known for training elites who bring victory to the empire. Students of the academy freely utilize an ability called "Zaiphon" to fight, while the types of Zaiphon usable depends on the nature of the soldier.

Teito Klein, a student at the academy, is one of the most promising soldiers produced. Although ridiculed by everyone for being a sklave (German for slave) with no memories of his past, he is befriended by a fellow student called Mikage. While preparing for the final exam, Teito uncovers a dark secret related to his past. When an attempt to assassinate Ayanami, a high-ranking official who killed his father, fails, Teito is locked away awaiting punishment.

Only wanting the best for Teito, Mikage helps him escape. Teito ends up at the 7th District Church where he is taken in by the bishops. It is here that Teito attempts to evade the grasp of Ayanami and the Military, so he can rediscover his memories and learn why he is the person that can change the fate of the world.
    Source: MyAnimeList.net

It's not the best anime around AND you should be aware that if you're really into the story, you have to read the manga (17 Volumes...). Still, it's not that bad, if you like that kind of story. Teito and Mikage somehow reminded me a bit of Lelouch and Suzaku, so if you like characters like them, you should give it a try. (But there are no super-intelligent characters.)

Angel Beats! (13 eps, 2010)
    SPOILER!!:
    Otonashi awakens only to learn he is dead. A rifle-toting girl named Yuri explains that they are in the afterlife, and Otonashi realizes the only thing he can remember about himself is his name. Yuri tells him that she leads the Shinda Sekai Sensen (Afterlife Battlefront) and wages war against a girl named Tenshi. Unable to believe Yuri's claims that Tenshi is evil, Otonashi attempts to speak with her, but the encounter doesn't go as he intended.

Otonashi decides to join the SSS and battle Tenshi, but he finds himself oddly drawn to her. While trying to regain his memories and understand Tenshi, he gradually unravels the mysteries of the afterlife.

If you like that kind of story, you'll have lots of fun with Angel Beats. I pretty much enjoyed it mostly due to the characters and their interactions. Plus, the ending is not that bad, though you'd think that the anime doesn't really makes sense. Reminds me of Suzumiya Haruhi sometimes. (I'll come to Haruhi later on )

Durarara!! (24 eps, 2010)
    SPOILER!!:
    In Tokyo's downtown district of Ikebukuro, amidst many strange rumors and warnings of anonymous gangs and dangerous occupants, one urban legend stands out above the rest—the existence of a headless "Black Rider" who is said to be seen driving a jet-black motorcycle through the city streets.

Ryuugamine Mikado has always longed for the excitement of the city life, and an invitation from a childhood friend convinces him to move to Tokyo. Witnessing the Black Rider on his first day in the city, his wishes already seem to have been granted. But as supernatural events begin to occur, ordinary citizens like himself, along with Ikebukuro's most colorful inhabitants, are mixed up in the commotion breaking out in their city.

Definitely worth watching. The anime has lots of good characters, an interesting storyline, lots of humor, a headless Black Rider... what more can you get? xD Seriously, I really enjoyed this anime. Plus, there is a second season announced.... I just don't really know if it'll ever air.

Gantz (13 eps, 2004)
    SPOILER!!:
    Thought your life was bad? Sometimes, death is worse. There is no salvation, peace, nor god waiting to receive you into their care. But wait, a god? Maybe you are talking about that big black ball stuck in the room with you. Now you are thrown into a game, fighting green aliens and robot monsters for the chance to survive.

When Kei Kurono is killed, he thus finds himself caught in such a game—a test of his skills, morals, and will to survive. His life is not his own; his death is spat and trampled upon over and over again. What happens if he does not listen? God knows.

A word of warning: Gantz is not for the faint-hearted, but neither is it as simple as it looks. Gore, rape, and violence is rampant, as are portrayals of greed, violence, and all the ugliness that one sees in society today.

I hope you also enjoy "older" anime. This one is particulary good - the story is pretty interesting, characters are okay, but what I liked most about it was how society was criticized. In the first episode, you already get a glimpse of how bad people are. And although the anime aired 10 years ago, society hasn't changed a bit... (I clearly remember a scene in which someone was killed (run over by a train?) and there were people nearby who didn't try to help but texted someone via cell phone......) There's also a second season, but I didn't find it as good as the first. Still, you should watch both. (The second season also has 13 episodes, so it's not that much to watch.)

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (12 eps, 2011)
    SPOILER!!:
    She has a loving family and best friends, laughs and cries from time to time... Madoka Kaname, an eighth grader of Mitakihara middle school, is one of those who lives such a life. One day, she had a very magical encounter. She doesn't know if it happened by chance or by fate yet. This is a fateful encounter that can change her destiny—this is a beginning of the new story of the magical witch girls.

I know EXACTLY what you're thinking right now: "Is Freya kidding me? A magical girl anime???" But Madoka's not the kind of magical girl anime that's pure sugar and all-is-soo-f*cking-great-in-this-world. The story is really great, it's more of a dark magical girl series. So if you're okay with magical girls, you should give it a try.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (26 eps, 1996)
    SPOILER!!:
    In the year 2015, the Angels, huge, tremendously powerful, alien war machines, appear in Tokyo for the second time. The only hope for Mankind's survival lies in the Evangelion, a humanoid fighting machine developed by NERV, a special United Nations agency. Capable of withstanding anything the Angels can dish out, the Evangelion's one drawback lies in the limited number of people able to pilot them. Only a handful of teenagers, all born fourteen years ago, nine months after the Angels first appeared, are able to interface with the Evangelion. One such teenager is Shinji Ikari, whose father heads the NERV team that developed and maintains the Evangelion. Thrust into a maelstrom of battle and events that he does not understand, Shinji is forced to plumb the depths of his own inner resources for the courage and strength to not only fight, but to survive, or risk losing everything.
    Source: MAL

I know, an even older anime |D I suppose you've already seen it. It's one of the best mecha animes (probably the BEST; unless your Gundam fan...), but it's not only mechas, it's more about psychology. It's pretty much mindf*ck, but it's a good one. Also, there are many adaptions, and it's currently remade as movies. (But the storyline differs from the series! I'd recommend watching the series.)

Pandora Hearts (25 eps, 2009)
    SPOILER!!:
    Oz Vessalius, heir to one of the duke houses, has just turned fifteen. His life is rich and carefree, darkened only by the constant absence of his father. At his coming-of-age ceremony, however, everything changes. For no reason that he can discern, he's cast into the prison known as the "Abyss", only to be saved by a "chain" known as Alice, the Bloodstained Black Rabbit. It is unknown why he was cast into Abyss, how Alice factors into it all, and what the organization known as "Pandora" wants with him.

Another anime I strongly recommend due to the great story and great characters. Don't be shocked: The mangaka used names from the Alice in Wonderland books, but the anime is not connected to the books other than that. Plus, you should be aware that unfortunately, the ending of the anime differs from the manga. I'm reading the manga (started after watching the anime), which is still on-going and currently has about 90 chapters. If you really want to know more about PH, you should read the manga. I suppose it'll be about 100 chapters at the end. (At least the latest chapters felt like drawing a conclusion finally...)

Shiki (22 eps, 2010)
    SPOILER!!:
    When citizens of a secluded village begin dying off in alarming numbers, the sole hospital's head doctor tries desperately to save his patients—but his efforts are in vain. Entire families are wiped out while others desert their homes. All hell breaks loose as the villagers discover their loved ones' corpses are rising from the grave with an insatiable thirst for human blood. Who is safe when the urge to kill in order to survive blurs the line between man and monster?

Forget Twilight - here's some REAL dangerous vampires. xP Really, the characters are great, the setting is great, and there is so much blood... I was really shocked when I watched the ending of the show. If you like supernatural stuff, you should give it a try. Probably the best vampire anime around.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (14 eps, 2006)
    SPOILER!!:
    Kyon, your typical high school student, has long given up his belief in the supernatural. However, upon meeting Haruhi Suzumiya, he quickly finds out that it is the supernatural that she is interested in—aliens, time travelers, and espers among other things. When Haruhi laments about the lack of intriguing clubs around school, Kyon inspires Haruhi to form her own club. As a result, the SOS Brigade is formed, a club which specializes in all that is the supernatural.

Much to his chagrin, Kyon, along with the silent bookworm, Yuki Nagato, the shy and timid Mikuru Asahina, and the perpetually smiling Itsuki Koizumi, are recruited as members. The story follows the crazy adventures that these four endure under their whimsical leader, Haruhi. The story is based on the light novels by Nagaru Tanigawa.

Plus, there is a sequel. And I personally like the second season more. The story is also pretty supernatural, but I'd say it isn't as serious as other anime. What's good about the anime is the characters, probably more than the story. I really liked Kyon, mostly because he's sarcastic and always comments Haruhi's actions pretty dryly. (Still, I must admit I'm pretty sure you already know this anime xD)

Other than that, Eden of the East really is a great anime, Attack on Titan is also pretty good, Monster is great (still reading the manga, but I suppose the anime is a good as the manga) and Paranoia Agent is mindf*ck, but pretty good.

There are so many anime out there which are good. @_@
    Have fun watching all these anime

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

If I recall correctly Gantz had like twice that episodes. Either way, I loathe that show. It's next to FF Unlimited the worst anime I ever saw. Others from your list I have yet to see.

Anyways, I appreciate you taking the time to write that all down, very detailed and informative, I'll be sure to check some of your picks.

Blog Entries
    I can give you a more detailed summary of my suggestions. But I wanted to know what sort of things you want to watch so I could gear my suggestions to something is already in your preferences rather than tossing a bunch of stuff that you wouldn't be interested in seeing anyway. That way when I say you might like this and I can say it's because of this that you want out of it. It'll help to personalize it to you, rather than just giving you my personal list.

I'll definitely second Puella Magi Madoka Magica though. However, it one that is better viewed when you're more familiar with the genre, since it is a deconstruction of the genre, thus knowing the genre will give you significantly more mileage and enjoyment than just a blind watch. Still it is a good anime, but the reasons for it being groundbreaking may not come across if you haven't seen any magical girl anime.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is another good one I second as well, it works better than Madoka as a standing on its own without needing to understand where it comes from. But if you've seen enough anime Haruhi's references come across pretty clear. So it should work for you, since it seems you've done a fair bit of anime watching. But it is another one that you get more enjoyment out of the more familiar you are with the genre and references.

Certified tech, come at me! Restore my faith in anime! SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to summarize this in one title: F-Zero Falcon Densetsu! (Legend of the Falcon). Its on youtube with english subs. It is the best anime I have seen out of any anime imo.
    Currently Playing:

Honestly, first time I hear there's a genre of anime called "Magical Girl", doesn't sound like something I would personally enjoy, but then again can't say I ever saw one, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I can give you a more detailed summary of my suggestions. But I wanted to know what sort of things you want to watch so I could gear my suggestions to something is already in your preferences rather than tossing a bunch of stuff that you wouldn't be interested in seeing anyway. That way when I say you might like this and I can say it's because of this that you want out of it. It'll help to personalize it to you, rather than just giving you my personal list.
    I'm open to all suggestions right now, I'm not sure how much will this be of help but I would love to see a story driven anime with sense of mystery and some great unexpected twists in it, Rowan's suggestion, Paranoia Agent, seems to be around that alley.

I am NOT one of those manga/book snobs, but the manga of Gantz was incredible. The anime was cut short and they ended it in the most shameful cowboy bebop ripoff i have ever seen. look it up for lulz, Xana.

Paranoia agent is certainly twisted and at most parts, can be quite intensely creepy. But if you are ready to be invested in a long term solid anime with a deep and twisted story, please attempt Monster.

Also, if you are confused by Paranoia agent after you finish it, I have a clear explanation that I've worked out that makes sense.

Anime noob here looking for top notch anime series, the more seasons/episodes they have the better

I'm currently working on Cowboy bebop (about time, i know right?) and am loving it, I'm thinking of chipping into Death note after for lack of better knowledge on anime, I've seen the name thrown about a bit..

I have seen Elfen lied and loved it, however i didnt like when Lucy was in her *****/childish state and just repeated the same word over and over, but loved everything else, (kickass soundtrack)

Are there any other shows i must watch? I've run out of actual TV shows to watch so need to delve into anime now, I wouldnt be into the liks of DBZ or pokemon or any shit like that, i need proper top tier story telling.

Can anybody recommend the must see shows? that would be on par with bebop?? Please

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    Can anybody recommend the must see shows? that would be on par with bebop?? Please
    Thats a tall order. Samurai champloo is the only one that comes close. Mainly because it was created by the same person, shinchiro watanabe (i think thats how its spelled).

Death Note is a must see in my opinion. It's one of the most exciting anime series I ever saw. Brilliant story and great characters, you should definitely look into it.

If you're into Godfather films GunGrave would be an ideal pick. It's mature, gritty and quite emotional if I may say so. There's not a lot of room for humor, I'm not ashamed to say at one point it actually made me cry.

I found Black Lagoon to be actually quite similar to Bebop, presentation wise if nothing else, some may not agree with me, but while good it's not as good as Bebop.

All short-medium sized anime shows, in other words as far as time goes you shouldn't be invested much.

Thats a tall order. Samurai champloo is the only one that comes close. Mainly because it was created by the same person, shinchiro watanabe (i think thats how its spelled).
    I thought you held Code Geass in highest regards.

Cant be that tall, pick your 5-10 fav shows if that makes it easier

Cheers guys!

In response to both Xana and Nix, while I do have favourite anime, Cowboy Bebop is in a league of its own in terms of originiality and style. Some of my favourite anime just couldnt compare to it not because they are not good enough, but because they are in different leagues. I refer people to champloo because I hold it in high regards in terms of originality and style, just as I do with bebop.

ah ok, i just thought you meant there were too many good anime shows to name, but yeah i can see bebop being top dog no show can compare to, but the next best thing will do

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Black Lagoon is sort of like it, but it's a more mature story than Cowboy Bebop, mature in that it's dealing with some harsher realities and just in general language. It's been good what I've seen of it so far.

Paranoia Agent is great for what you described Xanatos. Similarly, you would probably enjoy Perfect Blue and Paprika, also by the same director of Paranoia Agent. Perfect Blue I felt was perfectly summed up as if Disney and Hitchcock made a movie together Perfect Blue would be that movie. It's very Hitchcock in story, mystery and pacing. It's not as mind screwy as Paranoia Agent, but it has some really good twists. Paprika is a science fiction thriller of sorts. The best thing about it is the really amazing and trippy visuals, but a solid story and good mystery accompany it.

Hyouka, which I think I mentioned, is specifically a mystery anime. It's focus is on a girl who is crazy curious and has these eyes that suck you in and a boy who is very observant and has excellent deductive skills, but has a life motto of being as a lazy as possible, but more accurately he wants to expend as little energy as possible, which amounts to being lazy and apathetic. It has some really great mysteries and twists which will live you thinking and guessing until the end.

Bakemonogatari, also suggestion, currently is Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Nekomonogatari (Black), Nekomonogtari (White) and Monogatari, which an eventually Kizumonogatari. It can be simply called Monogatari series, but Bake is the place to start and Monogatari is the place to end, not confusing at all. But it is a series with a heavy focus on trippy, unique visuals, quick snappy dialogue and really entertaining characters. It's often heavy on character interaction. The first series Bake, is great for an opener because main character aside all of the characters he meets have become affected by Japanese gods/spirits which cause problems for them. Specifically the first girl has no weight as a result, she looks the same, but weights nothing. Solving the source of the problem and dealing with it is the core is the issue. And things never turn out as they seem from the start. There's always something revealed that changes the way you look at the character or how they need to be saved. It's a very solid series, but it very unorthodox in presentation and will require lots of pausing, freeze framing and rewinding because they cram tons of supplemental material in. It entertains though.

Steins;Gate is about time travel, but its more about the consequences of when you play with time travel. Without giving away the plot, it starts fairly calm and lighthearted, minus a murder that only the main character seems to remember, and then after playing around with time travel discovers he caused something to happen that he now must undo. And he learns that there's a lot bigger picture than he realized and one twist after another starts connecting the dots in ways he never realized. It's a really great story on time travel with plenty of mystery and twists along the way. I was hooked after the first episode or two.

A little outside of pocket, but Nagi no Asakura is a slice of life story that ends up turning very serious and very dramatic after about 6 episodes. It's got a lot of romance, but a surprise twist in what seems like a light fluffy story will sort of leave you a little shocked for a bit as things go down a completely different road then you expected. It's a very well done romantic story with strong character growth and breathtaking visuals. And prepare for the feels as they call it, because it delivers them in the second half of the series frequently.

Shin Sekai Yori (To the New World), it's got a bit a slow start, but one thing it does in spades is present you with plenty of questions and mysteries. It's a very interesting world that's post-apocalyptic. Something happened that wipes out a significant percentage of the population and in the centuries that followed the survivors remain in villages. Every single human has telekinetic powers of some type. Controlling the powers as a child is the initial focus, but there are dark secrets in the world that become the main focus and the cost of learning said secrets. Probably the most unusual thing that did end up turning off some people watching it is that the society encourage intimate same sex relationships to all of the teenagers, like 10-14 or something. It's meant to be encouraged as a way to calm them in stressful situations and discourage violence. They naturally then are encouraged out of it once they start seeing the opposite sex as attractive. Needless to say, the anime does show two boys making out and two girls making out and that ended up offending some. Still it's a very good anime, sometimes a little slow, but when it goes going it won't let go of you.

Danganronpa is a straight murder mystery based on the game of the same name. The setup, 12(?) high schools are brought to a school where it is completely barred and locked in. Then are informed the only way to escape is to kill one of the other students and get away with it. When a student dies, the rest has a period of time to investigate for clues to figure out who did it before presenting their evidence and accusing someone. If they are correct the murderer is executed, if they are wrong everyone that's not the murderer is executed and the murderer is given freedom. Strange characters and things are never as they seem, you'll get plenty of your mystery and twist.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet comes from the creator of Madoka, mentioned above. It's a mecha story about a boy that is in a strange land. He pilots a state of the art combat mecha that during a retreat from battle sucked him through a wormhole and dropped him off on the planet. It's sort of like Waterworld, the planet he's left on. Land seems non-existent as everyone lives on boats and the former civilization is submerged under the oceans. The people have a very different lifestyle from the boy who only knows how to be a soldier. So it's a classic fish out of water or dances with wolves type, but it comes from the man that did Madoka, so you can expect twists and mysteries. It takes longer to reach than Madoka, but the payoff is worth it. It has fun likeable characters.

Ghost in the Shell and specifically Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig, if you like cyberpunk the original Ghost in the Shell movie was many young anime fans first introduction to the world of cyberpunk. At it's core it is a police story, but your cops happen to be cybernetically enhance, have superhuman strength or other attributes. There is a heavy focus on the net, what it means to be human and what is a soul and do you have to have a human body or even a body to still be human. Stand Alone Complex has stand alone episodes and arc episodes. It can be hard to follow tossing out both Japanese names, political maneuvering and literature quotes it can be enough to make your head spin. But it has action, adult mature characters and story with some good detective mysteries and twists. It's heavy on politics.

Little Busters and Refrain, if you watch Little Busters, Refrain is required viewing or you won't know how it ends. It comes the same people that did the above mentioned Angel Beats and based on a PC visual novel. It seems like your run of the mill slice of life high school anime, but it's not. The first series will provide you no answers and only questions. Nothing is explained, even though the whole thing is working on a very specific set of rules, they never tell you the rules. Which is actually important because if they did, it'd ruin the twist and it is a big one. Oh and the feels are strong in this one too, really strong. This is a story about the characters, their history and their relationships and friendships with one another. I can understand people staying it's too long of a wait for the payoff, but it is a good one, it just takes a while to get there. If you can get invested in the characters, it'll care you to the end.

Last Exile has a very interesting world that drew me in. It has a pre-WWI European etiquette that was interesting. It's basically about a Captain Ahab type character, but you don't really know what the whale is that he's hunting. It's just very clear he's a man on a mission. The story focus on two kids that love to fly their later fathers vanship (a steam-like powered personal airship). They are message runners and on their off time race. They love the sky and flying more than anything else. They end up caught up in the world of this man on a mission and start to peel back the layers on the world. Really strong and interesting characters, lots of passion and driven personalities with some really cool designs and interesting world construction. There' s a sequel out for it, I've yet to see it.

ROD the TV, is the follow up to R.O.D. a movie, which Read of Die. Like the main character of the movie, the main characters (3 sisters) have a special power that allows them to control and manipulate paper to do anything like barriers, swords, dolls, whatever they want they can even make it stop bullets. Both are great watches, but the TV series picks up after the movie where the main character is missing and a friend/author of her ends up getting the sisters as bodyguards. Discovering their powers, she wants them to help her find her missing friend. Which ends up being a much deeper matter than they thought with conspiracies, betrayals and plenty of good action all around paper and this woman the author which is actually targeted for a surprising reason.

Rah Xephon, I call it Evangelion lite, if Evangelion is not something you can stomach because the main character is too splineless or angsty, Rah Xephon is less of that. The character is a little more competent. But it is still the cast of "alien-like" forces are attacking humanity and humanity has something that is able to fight them off that's very similar to the alien. There's a lot of unknowns early on and plenty of reveals as things go on. A far bit of the global conspiracy and large players at work manipulating things.

Bynrhild in the Darkness comes from the creator of Elfen Lied. It's a bit haremy, but it's good because the main character is competent and has great deductive skills. While not out right mysteries, he's trying to protect a group of girls that are being hunted down to be killed. One girl has foresight, but only sees an image and they must interpret it with what she can provide. So there is a good amount of solving the problem and coming up with a solution. There's some good twists that come along, but expect a lot of deaths. It's still currently airing, but will be finished by July. If you enjoyed Elfen Lied, it's a more sane and less extreme version, but no else grim or dark, considering it's dealing with girls being hunted down to be killed and they have a time limit on their life, which if allowed to pass their bodies break down on the molecular level. So there'll be lots of blood.

That's the initial list of things I could think of from the over 500 anime I've seen. Let me know if you want to know more about a specific one.

Just finished Cowboy bebop, it was spectacular, is the movie good? does it kinda ruin the ending of the series? So many great moments/lines in those last two episodes

Now onto Full metal alchemist

The movie is pretty good, it doesn't spoil anything, it's like a long episode really I felt.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    Just finished Cowboy bebop, it was spectacular, is the movie good? does it kinda ruin the ending of the series? So many great moments/lines in those last two episodes
    It's set during the main story, although it distance itself somewhat, it won't ruin anything. I feel it's a pretty good movie on its own.

Now onto Full metal alchemist
    Which one?

You have FullMetal Alchemist, a somewhat different take on manga, some may even say a filler, and FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood, completely based off of manga, both are in my opinion amazing to say the least, by far my favorite anime series.

FMA:B is just boss all the time. I've only seen the first 3 episodes and it's badass.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Its the brotherhood one, should i start with the other one first?

Shiiiiiiiiit

Blog Entries
    They are both completely independent of the other. Though the original first half is covered in 13 episodes in Brotherhood. After the first half of the original it splits off and does an original storyline, while Brotherhood follows the manga. I would say that the original handled the content better that Brotherhood does in the 13 episodes, because Brotherhood is pretty brisk so some of the emotional impact is lost, while original retains a stronger emotional punch. However, Brotherhood is overall superior to the original, it's got a much more complex and interesting story. So if anything, you could watch the first 26 episodes of the original and then go watch after like episode 13 or so, of Brotherhood and you'd be mostly fine. It'd be weird, and it's not completely 1-on-1 Brotherhood is more accurate than the original how the events of the 26 episodes played out. So it's still worth seeing the first 13.

It doesn't matter, really. Each tells a different tale, albeit with more or less same characters. I suggest you look into Brotherhood first, it's faithful to its source, newer thus better looking. I do however prefer music in FMA compared to Brotherhood.

just finished watching welcome to the N.H.K...
    holy shit. Where was that anime when I was 17? I wish I had watched that then. It approaches psychological problems in the most realistic way I've seen presented in an anime before. It's uncomfortable, it doesn't often always make sense and it's character can be totally relatable to. Dont be put off by the first couple of episodes, this one is definitely worth a shot. As long as you remember that it is NOT a comedy, you'll appreciate how it approaches such dark themes in the show.

The main character Satou is a hikkumore (dont know how to spell it). It basically means he is an unsociable shut-in (like a hermit). He is also paranoid to the point where he believes if anything bad happens, its because of a massive conspiracy. The company he used to keep before he was a hikkumore encouraged this behaviour. He later learns that his new next door neighbor is Yamazaki, a former friend of his that he tried to help when he was getting bullied at school. He introduces him to hentai and they decide to make a hentai game together. Later on we are introduced to a shy young girl who decides to help Sato with his behavioural problems, and satou reluctantly agrees.

If you decide to watch this I just have more thing to add:

Puri puri puri purrrrriiiii, puri puri puri puriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast