Thread: The Punisher

Blog Entries

The Punisher

Has anyone here seen The Punisher on Netflix?

What do you guys think?

Spoilers ahead.

I finished it today, and I have to say that I think they did an incredible job with the character. I feel like they did a great job of also exploring ptsd without making it a crutch. I also love that they didn't make Frank just a mindless killer, like so many comics have. I think the show did a great justice to the character.

I thought they did a nice adaptation of Garth Ennis' Punisher Max run, even though I hoped that they would have kept Rawlins alive for longer, just slowly destroying him, bit by bit.

I'm looking forward to how both jigsaw and kingpin will factor in to future series and seasons
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

The Mad God The Punisher Heartless Angel's Avatar
    Thought it was fantastic. Jon Bernthal was a perfect choice to play Frank. And I've been a fan of that casting decision since he first appeared in Daredevil. They did a good job of illustrating Frank's mental and emotional health through his hallucinations of his family. I particularly liked one of his last hallucinations when he was confronting Rawlins, where when his family was telling him it was okay, and he could come home with them he was able to sort of let them go, or rather accepting that war was his life now, saying "I am home", and bringing himself back to the fight.the fight scenes were well done, there was an appropriate level of gore and viciousness for Castle's character without overdoing it like that Punisher movie a few years back did. All in all, I was very pleased with it and am very much looking forward to season 2.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    I haven't seen it because I felt like I should watch Daredevil first, and for whatever reason, I haven't felt like watching Daredevil, though I think John Bernthal is a great actor. However, I heard Polygon bitched about it.

The Punisher-i-gzsfpdr-2100x20000-jpg

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth The Punisher Xanatos's Avatar
    It's my second favorite Marvel-Netflix show after Daredevil, which frankly came as a bit of relief given how disappointing some of the previous Netflix shows were. Still can't get over how bad Defenders turned out to be. The changes they made to certain characters, original source in general, panned out beautifully. Jigsaw's character in particular, making him for far more personal adversary in future seasons. The dynamic between Frank and Liberman was perhaps my favorite part, the scene where Frank sees the sandwich Liberman made for himself while he eats junk was pure and utter gold. I was engrossed in its story all the way through, Punisher finally got justice on the big screen.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries
    I agree that they did a great job of adapting and modernizing the story. I was skeptical at first, because the Punisher I've always known was a Vietnam vet, who kind of aged appropriately as the comics moved. The sad thing is that we still have plenty of war to make this updated version plausible.

I think this version is quite frankly the best on screen version. It's bloody, brutal and has that bit of gallows humor.

The Tom Jane version was great for what it was, but it could have done without the apocryphal backstory. Loved that they adapted Welcome Back Frank, but the whole family living in Puerto Rico thing was bizarre.

Punisher Warzone was just ridiculous, both good and bad. It did a nice job of trying to stylize the over the top comic violence, but it was just insanely impossible.

We don't talk about the one with Dolph Lundgren.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers