Thread: Prometheus

the night man cometh Prometheus Joxsjua's Avatar

Prometheus

I am really excited for this movie to come out! I mean c'mon, it's the prequel to Alien the movie, Is there a Alien fan as big as I out there?? Well the 1st two movies were awesome and the second if my favorite sci-fi movie of all time; the others weren't as great but still adorable.
    There is already a Prometheus 2 on the back burner but the director has to finish a few side projects first. The director stated that he doesn't want this to be labeled as "Aliens the prequels" but the timelines are going to run parallel with the original movies, hence the new title Prometheus

If there are any of you Alien fans out there ..check out Aliens: Colonial Marines coming out 3rd quarter of this year. This is supposed to be the true sequel to Aliens. It's going to be a first person shooter with a tight squad formation like in 'Left 4 Dead' and different classes so everyone has to do their job or else the entire team gets wiped style of game play. Also you get to level up your characters with weapon upgrades and every type of Alien from the series makes an appearance including a new addition to the family more bad-ass than the Queen. There's also a single player campaign if you do not like multiplayer.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Prometheus Xanatos's Avatar

Re: Prometheus

First reviews that came out were not too keen to Prometheus it seems, not what I expected. From what I can tell many are eager to compare it to the first Alien movie (suspense at it's best) which is a wrong approach if you ask me. Despite all that I'm still siked to see this movie. As for Aliens: Colonial Marines, I've been waiting for it to come out for almost 10 years now, ever since it was originally announced for PS2. I really do hope this game doesn't fail as many others that were stuck in development hell.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 06-03-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    First reviews that came out were not too keen to Prometheus it seems, not what I expected. From what I can tell many are eager to compare it to the first Alien movie (suspense at it's best) which is a wrong approach if you ask me. Despite all that I'm still psyched to see this movie.
    Not surprised, I'm not expecting much from it. Nothing can compare to the excitement Aliens gave me. So there aren't many sci-fi I care about yet I love the genre for some dumb reason. All I want for Christmas is the sound of those assault rifles and aliens screaming.

Crash Boom Bang Prometheus Lily's Avatar

went to see this today, gotta admit, it wasn't anywhere near as good as I was expecting, Michael Fassbender was great, but the rest of the film didn't really feel all that well thought out tbh ):

All evil will see the light Prometheus Assassin's Avatar

I'm not really a fan of such kind of movies but I also am exited to watch this movie. The cast is really good.

Mystyrion

I deleted everything in my original post. Most of the things were meant to be left open so that they could be answered in a sequel.
    Though this happens in the same universe, but have little to do with each other.
    Other than you see the
    SPOILER!!:
    very first alien

If the sequel does come out, it will stem even further from the Alien franchise.
    Last edited by Mystyrion; 06-08-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bias reduX View Post
    I deleted everything in my original post. Most of the things were meant to be left open so that they could be answered in a sequel.
    Though this happens in the same universe, but have little to do with each other.
    Other than you see the
    SPOILER!!:
    very first alien

If the sequel does come out, it will stem even further from the Alien franchise.
    Okay my nook wont let me ty pm you unless i search the nook library...

SPOILER!!:
    you flipping serious!? They only show the very 1st alien?? Thats like kindergarden rated sci fi... I was completely dissapointed with both the AVPs because i read the comics when i was young and they showed all the different alien hybrid species in a full on war of the worlds yet in the under budgeted movies all we got was the one alien and his replicated chronies. I mean, alien 3 did have the runner alien but gosh darn it!.
    I will still try and see it tomorrow or saturday.

Excellent excellent movie. As to this being a prequel yes and no. It was a prequel to the story which sparked Alien, it wasn't however a prequel to show you how the Alien came to be although that was inevitable. It was meant to show you man kinds creation and the journey of the Space Jockey found in the seat in Alien.

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by OnOneRyder View Post
    Excellent excellent movie. As to this being a prequel yes and no. It was a prequel to the story which sparked Alien, it wasn't however a prequel to show you how the Alien came to be although that was inevitable. It was meant to show you man kinds creation and the journey of the Space Jockey found in the seat in Alien.
    I'm curious to know why you liked it so much.
    It left me with so many unanswered questions.
    I mean everything else about it was good, the story just... ugh.

Kiss with a fist. Prometheus Dranzer's Avatar

I have to be perfectly honest, the Alien movies scared the ever-loving shit out of me when I was little... the whole impregnation through your mouth thing before ripping open your insides and giving birth to that... thing.

Anyway, a co-worker of mine saw it when it came out and said it was pretty good, I don't know if I'll actually go to the theaters to see it though. I haven't actually seen any of the Alien movies in ages so I'll probably be confused as ****.

@Bias reduX: So the plot wasn't easy to follow, or just weird, or what?

soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
    happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
    PRK9 ♥ Prestige+ ♥ GDEAA

Mystyrion

It pretty much just leaves on the worst cliffhanger ever.
    In my original post that I edited had about 10 questions that weren't answered in film.
    Two of them directly dealing with
    SPOILER!!:
    the Alien being born
    I felt they were pretty big issues with the movie, but every where else I've talked about the film, I get the opposite response. So perhaps its just me. My group of friends I went to see the film with felt the same way. Maybe we are just being to harsh or over critical.

Kiss with a fist. Prometheus Dranzer's Avatar

Oh I see, so that particular cliff-hanger probably doesn't coincide with where the Alien movies start? I guess not if there's going to be a sequel to this one. Were these books before or just a science-fiction film hit?

soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
    happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
    PRK9 ♥ Prestige+ ♥ GDEAA

yeah I couldn't find any books for this but there are like 26+ books for the Alien saga. It's supposed to be its own story running parallel with the other. That's why it has a new title and not the "Alien" name. I'm sure they won't let these stories interact with the others.

I got sent this like a month ago so maybe you guys could find something more up-to-date.

Mystyrion

No, no, I meant like they end the movie without really explaining anything. At all. I mean you can take the plot and make it very basic and push all of that information aside, but then its just a shallow movie.

Its just set within the same universe, but hardly has anything to do with each other. I believe its set 30ish years before the original Alien movie takes place?
    The year is 2091 in Prometheus and I think Alien is 2122?

I thought it was pretty good! It was beautiful and interesting, especially the question about where we came from. I do have my frustrations though. Gosh, I wish they didn't give the big reveal and just made Prometheus it's own thing. Although, I've read that it isn't necessarily a prequel and will branch off from the Alien series. You'd think that with a trillion dollar project that the crew members would be a little more careful in an unknown planet.

Blog Entries

Saw this today, liked it a lot. It very much felt like its own thing, separate from the Alien story, although there are definite elements that tie the two together. Someone posted this deconstruction/explanation of the plot or symbolism in the movie too (spoilers) over on imdb, which was an interesting read too. I'm reading that a lot of people had issues with certain things. Some I can appreciate (the stupid behavior some characters exhibited at times) and other things that I don't (the musical score was bad, apparently... *shrug*) I had read before going in not to expect another Alien movie, so I didn't. And I enjoyed myself thoroughly watching this.

There's something about Michael Fassbender. I think it's that he is a very good actor. That might probably be it. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Mystyrion

Eh, nothing stood out on the score as far as I remember.
    But it definitely wasn't awful.

I'll try and go see a matinee tomorrow or Monday if it's a rain-day. My biggest hope with this series is that they demonstrate how the Xenomorph became the fastest adept/best-surviving species in the Universe or whatever made them the most attractive hunt for the Predators.. Besides Arnold and Danny Glover of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bias reduX View Post
    No, no, I meant like they end the movie without really explaining anything. At all. I mean you can take the plot and make it very basic and push all of that information aside, but then its just a shallow movie.

Its just set within the same universe, but hardly has anything to do with each other. I believe its set 30ish years before the original Alien movie takes place?
    The year is 2091 in Prometheus and I think Alien is 2122?
    What specifically did you not understand? The Space Jockey's entire reason for being on that moon is directly related to the story of Alien and what the alien's are.

It pretty much just leaves on the worst cliffhanger ever.
    It left on one of man kinds biggest question, "why are we here?"

I'm curious to know why you liked it so much.
    It's goal IMO was to answer all the unanswered questions from Alien. Where the Xeno's came from, what the being in the chair was and oh....lets not forget about explaining how humanity came to be. Lots was answered with this film, and everything that was left unanswered was done so specifically to provide a sequel. Now lets just hope that Scott really does take the rein's and it isn't butchered like Alien 3 and Resurrection were.

It also makes you think, not many films do that. You really have to pay close attention and have to question things throughout to know exactly what's going on. Alien didn't really do that, it was a total scare-fest. That's where I think Prometheus really shines.

MERGED

Quote Originally Posted by Joxsjua View Post
    I'll try and go see a matinee tomorrow or Monday if it's a rain-day. My biggest hope with this series is that they demonstrate how the Xenomorph became the fastest adept/best-surviving species in the Universe or whatever made them the most attractive hunt for the Predators.. Besides Arnold and Danny Glover of course.
    It does explain their origins.

As for the Predator storyline, the writers of Alien had no intention of having the two cross. You can thank Fox and their desire to squeeze as much cash as possible from a successful series for that one.
    Last edited by Victoria; 07-11-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnOneRyder View Post
    It does explain their origins.

As for the Predator storyline, the writers of Alien had no intention of having the two cross. You can thank Fox and their desire to squeeze as much cash as possible from a successful series for that one.
    You are correct, the merger happened 3 years after Aliens and right before Predator 2 was released(If you look at the trophy room walls, they show a Xenomorph skull in the Predator ship.)
    I was just getting at, I want back-story to why they are the perfect species. Hopefully, later, we get to see the hybrids from the Dark Horse comics !!(I used to collect the comics and action figurines 18 yrs ago)
    I don't want to see any Predators, just global domination. They completely wrecked the AvP movies already.

I completely agree with you about all the films~
    Alien: Scary thriller
    Aliens: makes you want go around shooting guns afterwards.
    Alien 3 & Resurrection: flops but I will enjoy cause they are part of the series.

Time for a fresh start.

MERGED

Finally got to see it. At first I was frustrated and kind of dumbstruck but then I realized this isn't the sort of movie you go to with a bunch of friends. It has a rich story and requires analyzing and thinking that makes this a good repeat movie to watch to look for subtle hints/clues of what's going to happen in the sequel.
    I guess my biggest complaint were the humans' incompetence, so they had to go. Then I later realized there's got to be a hidden agenda,the agency had, hiring a crappy crew for the mission and that it was a definite must for future planned events.
    Just so everyone's clear; this is not a direct prequel, but a branch from the story.

If you have seen the movie I'd suggest reading this
    Prometheus Explained: Unraveling The Unanswered Questions - CinemaBlend.com
    This gives some reasonable hypotheses and most of the posts in there are great reads to alternate ideas.
    Although I do disagree at least 2 of their theories
    SPOILER!!:

1. pertaining to, what were the ghost-like apparitions: They were probably just history logs of data(not much mystery to ponder)
    2. why did the Engineers suddenly want to destroy Earth. ..I don't get why everyone is hell bent on suggesting they want us all dead. He might have had an ulterior motive.

I enjoyed at the beginning how it explained the Engineer drank the black goo to break down his own DNA to terraform a planet(Ridley confirmed that the planet at the start was not Earth.)

You know that android-head is using the last survivor for bigger plans other than rescue.

I liked how the alien that came from the Engineer(at the end) skipped the chest-burster stage. Until then, to my recollection, only the dog from Alien 3 had a fully functioning alien gestate inside him. Maybe later on we'll find out why.

Again, some of the posts in there make for an awesome discussion that make you want to watch it again to see everything you missed before.
    Was completely satisfied with the ending.
    I liked it a lot.
    Last edited by Victoria; 07-11-2012 at 11:46 AM.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Prometheus Xanatos's Avatar

It's not as bad as some claim it is, far from it, it's a damn fine movie, although with that being said I have to admit there several cringe worthy scenes and some unanswered questions. I however am pretty content with my own interpretation of things and some answers I read on the net. On a positive note, Prometheus is quite a visual beauty, Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender were pretty good, I hope the sequel goes into more detail about the engineers.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity