Thread: Man of Steel

Certified tech, come at me! Man of Steel SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Man of Steel

I went out with a friend to see this earlier today and I LOVED IT! I love how the reboot of the superman franchise was handled and the way the story was told. The action was great, the plot made sense, and it stayed true to what superman was about. It was inspiring, the characters were good and It is just me or was it like watching Superman II all over again? I definitely saw some elements that were from in the Christopher Reeve film versions myself.

The only thing I didn't like about the film is
    SPOILER!!:
    the jumping around from past to present where at some parts it would show Clark/Kal as a child and then other parts it would show him as a grown man, and then jump back to him being a child in another scene, and then a scene where he was just a teenager. It felt like the movie didn't know where to start at that point.
    Currently Playing:

Air from my lungs. Man of Steel Violet's Avatar
    If it weren't for the fact that it was Superman, it would've felt like any other superhero movie to me without the comic relief and romance. I thought that there was far too many action sequences and not enough character development. But then, I'm a fan of story over action... tastes vary.

Mind, I thought the visuals were very well done, especially that weird beady stuff that shifts into faces at the beginning and end of the movie. It's a movie that you can sit back and watch without having to think much... good background noise. Now, as for the actor himself... I think he was perfect for that role. I think it's safe to say that he's the sexiest Superman I've ever seen. He was great in Tudors .

While I don't think that this movie was as good as the Batman series, I think it's an improvement of their last Superman movie. I'm glad to see that Superman has made a combeback. Now I just wish Henry Cavill would be in the Justice League movie.

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Blog Entries

Re: Man of Steel

Pretty good movie! I saw it over the weekend. I tried so hard to distance myself from movie trailers and reviews so I wouldn't have any preconceived notions going in.

You're right that it lacked the intentional or even unintentional funny part (Honestly the only thing that I can remember laughing at was
    SPOILER!!:
    when he warped that guy's 18 wheeler into a pretzel

I agree with the direction they took the movie (specifically the ending). It made for a better conclusion, I thought. It worked for me.

I will say that I hated General Zod as a villain (always have) and this movie didn't change that. But it was a pretty good "first villain" for this reboot. His Lieutenant was a badass, though! She could kick my ass any time!
    Hero façade. Villain at heart.

Hewerya love...? Man of Steel seanb's Avatar
    I'm sure its a good movie,

I may or may not watch it someday when I have absolutely nothing else to do.

To be perfectly honest I don't think I could stomach one more superhero film... They've just been ground to a pulp at this stage, pure money makers. Iv'e lost some respect for Christopher Nolan too, after I endured the dark knight rises... I feel nauseous just thinking about it.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Man of Steel Xanatos's Avatar
    First off I'll start by saying I'm not really fond of Superman, that guy is so omnipotent it's not even funny, it's hard for me to take his struggles seriously sometimes. That being said Man of Steel nailed him as an outcast and a person who's often unsure in himself and his powers. Pa and Ma Kent were pretty good, although some of those emotional scenes fell flat. Jor-El got more time on the screen which is good, Zod however failed to make me feel for his plight, like lets say Khan did with his crew. I feel in love with Faora, love her accent, "for every human you save we will kill a million more"... simply badass.

Tad bit more action for my taste although it was well executed.

Shame there was no after credits scene, plus no "kneel before Zod" line, missed opportunity right there if you ask me. Man of Steel is no "The Dark Knight" by any means, it's still a good movie, solid foundation for others to come, for what it's worth I enjoyed watching it more than Iron Man 3. Would love to see live action Dragonball movie with this kind of budget.

EDIT: forgot to add, love how he kept his identity secret, finally no glasses, you know now why I hate that ****ing ending.
    Last edited by Xanatos; 06-30-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Mystyrion
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Would love to see live action Dragonball movie with this kind of budget.
    https://twitter.com/Jayn052/status/350776814592991234

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll be honest, I went and saw it the other week, but I didn't really like it. I thought the story was a bit of a drag, and there wasn't enough action in-between to wet my appetite. I guess the first third or so of the film was okay, but I felt myself dozing afterwards. There were one or two good lines that made me chuckle and kept me interested, but it was really dull.

I don't know what it is, I just can't get into DC movies. Even The Dark Knight, which had Heath Ledger, my favourite actor, in it wasn't all that. All of the movies try too hard to show a darker side. Why so serious?

What can I say? I'm Team Marvel. Iron Man 3 certainly wasn't the best Iron Man movie, but I still liked it, and will probably see a fourth one if it's a real thing (2016...lolwut). Don't think I've ever not liked a Marvel. Even those Toby Maguire Spiderman films.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Sir Prize Man of Steel Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I heard it was the best Dragonball Z movie ever.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Death Before Dishonor Man of Steel Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am a pretty big fan of superman, but honestly this movie wasn't nowhere near as good as I was anticipating. Had some good aspects, but was overall a let down.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

I really liked the movie! I had tingles all over. It started out slow in the beginning, but it started picking up when Clark donned his super suit. I found it funny how Superman may have killed more civilians than necessary by fighting General Zod throughout Metropolis. However, I think it was set up like that to bring Batman in with the Superman vs. Batman movie. Check out The Dark Knight Returns to see what the sequel will be like!

This was a good start for DC. I’m interested in seeing how they will do compared to what Marvel has started.

Registered User Man of Steel LauriJ's Avatar
    I haven't seen this movie yet so I can't really tell you whether or not I liked it.