Thread: Luke Cage

Blog Entries

Luke Cage

Is anyone else watching this on Netflix?I'm enjoying it so far and love the way it's constructed story wise. I even like the social commentary that it provides, especially with the way the world is today.It's also very cool that it makes Harlem actually feel like Harlem. Not like how Friends depicts New York; this show has a real feel for its location, and that really does make a difference.I really can't wait got the Defenders series, and seeing how the rest of the Marvel Netflix universe interacts.Your thoughts?
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Luke Cage Xanatos's Avatar
    I enjoyed it quite a bit up until Diamondback showed up, after that every character seemed to do inexplicably stupid shit, police in general, even Diamondback himself, up to the to point where suspension of disbelief was no longer an option. Take eleventh episode for instance, with the hostages at Harlem Paradise, some of the worst written stuff I've seen on TV. Cottonmouth and Shades however were extremely compelling villains, some of the best in MCU in fact. Luke Cage himself, most of the side characters (something I can't say for Jessica Jones though) were great as well. It would be a damn crime if I don't mention its soundtrack, I'm not a jazz fan myself, but the overall soundtrack is fantastic to say the least.

I would put Luke Cage on the same level as Jessica Jones, way bellow Daredevil though. That being said I can't wait to see Iron Fist and Defenders, in fact I'm more excited to see these shows than most of the upcoming superhero films, Defenders in particular just to see how Luke Cage and Iron Fist interact as they are one of my favorite duos in comics. On that note, I don't want a second season of Luke Cage, I would rather prefer Heroes for Hire show after Defenders.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries
    I'm more excited to see the Punisher spinoff. He's always been one of my favorites.

I'm also looking forward as to what they do with Misty Knight. She was always interesting to me.

I also love how they're weaving the Marvel universe together with little snippets of dialogue, like how the one kid was selling bootleg videos of the Avengers battle from the first Avengers movie. Also how the nurse is serving as the link between Cage and Daredevil.

I'm going to have to assume that there's going to be a second season of Luke Cage, because his enemies are too good to pass up. I also think it would help to clarify the timeline between the shows. Obviously Daredevil comes first, then Elektra and the Punisher come into play. The first Avengers movie happens either before or after this, and then Luke Cage is clearly after both the Avengers and the nurse befriending Daredevil.

Luke and Jessica meet after he moves down to Hells Kitchen, but before Iron Fist.

Regardless, I'm excited to see where it goes.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Luke Cage Xanatos's Avatar
    Season 2 has been announced recently, which is neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I also think it would help to clarify the timeline between the shows. Obviously Daredevil comes first, then Elektra and the Punisher come into play. The first Avengers movie happens either before or after this, and then Luke Cage is clearly after both the Avengers and the nurse befriending Daredevil.
    I thought the timeline was rather clear, each show is set after the first Avengers seeing as each show acknowledges "attack on New York" one way or another, especially Daredevil with Ben Ulrich and the pieces he wrote, each shows place in timeline though is identical to their release date, Daredevil leads into Jessica Jones which then leads into Luke Cage, Luke Cage most definitely came after Jessica Jones and Daredevil's second season, both Pop's and the Nurse mention how Jessica shot him in the head with a shotgun, you can also hear Nurse mentioning how her hospital was attacked by ninjas to her mother which clearly alludes to second season of Daredevil.

A huge wasted opportunity in my opinion, Mariah should have mentioned how Harlem was devastated by Hulk and Abomination few years back.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries
    My problem with that particular line is that, at least in the comics, Luke and Jessica get married and have a kid. It seems odd to not introduce his timeline into hers, other than her finding the picture of his first wife on the medicine cabinet.

I feel like his move to Hells Kitchen would be made a little more obvious, other than his need to leave Harlem.

My own personal pet peeve with all of the shows though, is as someone who lives and works in and around said areas, is that they portray Harlem and Hells Kitchen to be some crazy distance apart. You can literally get from one place to the other in like 15-20 minutes. They're both in Manhattan, despite how they want to make it seem like Hells Kitchen is in Brooklyn. Sure, Brooklyn is better for filming, and has a better backdrop of lower Manhattan, and literally 95% of viewers have no idea of locations, it's a personal pet peeve. Especially so since Marvel comics are so good with portraying the city as it is
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN