Thread: I missed out on some Classics.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth I missed out on some Classics. Xanatos's Avatar

I missed out on some Classics.

A lot of them actually. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never seen movies such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Casablanca... while on the other hand I've seen some I wish I never did. I'm working on fixing that though. As strange as it may sound I've seen Silence of the Lambs for the first time the other day, and to be honest I wasn't really thrilled with it. Fight Club and Memento, both which I saw recently as well were amazing to say the least.

Now to pose a question, what are some popular, classic movies you never saw and do you plan to eventually watch them?

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

.............. I missed out on some Classics. smurphy's Avatar

Re: I missed out on some Classics.

Most of the films I am ashamed to not have watched yet predate to over 50 years or more ago. The most glaring of these are Metropolis(the Fritz Lang one), Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon, Tokyo Story and The Third Man. But the movie I am most ashamed to say I have never saw is A Clockwork Orange. I have loved all of the other Kubrick movies I have seen(although I wasnt too fond of Eyes Wide Shut). But I am glad to say I recently saw Battleship Potemkin, which was one of the films I had really wanted to see.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Sir Prize I missed out on some Classics. Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm a major cinephile, so my list is kind of short.

I haven't watched a whole lot of Ingmar Bergman films, but that's because I find them existential, whiny and unnecessarily athiestic/bleak. Which is a flavor just like any other, just not my favorite. The Seventh Seal was okay...great film, just disagreed with it philosophically.

Fritz Lang was a genius, btw. (Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse is his best, imho)

I really missed out on the Rocky franchise. People talk and talk about them and I feel left out. Ditto The Breakfast Club. The Andromeda Strain; Sidney Poiteir movies; Charlie Chaplin films.

I'll definitely see The Andromeda Strain...I also don't see me escaping the Rocky franchise for much longer. I dislike Charlie Chaplin, he's not funny to me, I WISH I enjoyed him like some others do, but I don't. I would watch the others if I'm ever bothered to watch them, but I don't see them as much of a compulsive watch.

EDIT: Also, smurphy, I didn't like Eyes Wide Shut, either. I think the hype was a tribute to the genius of Kubrick, all-in-all it was a slow-paced and underfed movie, imo.

-Sin
    Last edited by Sinister; 12-09-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Hewerya love...? I missed out on some Classics. seanb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    As strange as it may sound I've seen Silence of the Lambs for the first time the other day, and to be honest I wasn't really thrilled with it.
    I don't like you

-H.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth I missed out on some Classics. Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seanb View Post
    I don't like you

-H.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, just not as good as I thought it would be.

I've seen Unbreakable yesterday, it's a decent movie, definitely worth watching, if for nothing else than that fine twist at the end of the movie. After El Clasico is over I'm seeing Blade Runner, can't wait, I've heard so many good things about this movie, I hope it lives up to it's hype.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, just not as good as I thought it would be.

I've seen Unbreakable yesterday, it's a decent movie, definitely worth watching, if for nothing else than that fine twist at the end of the movie. After El Clasico is over I'm seeing Blade Runner, can't wait, I've heard so many good things about this movie, I hope it lives up to it's hype.
    I think you may be over-hyping movies in your head. Having a movie hyped can really destroy it. Try not to have any preconceptions and just enjoy a film for the good things it does.

I know thats one of the many reasons I hated most of Ingmar Bergman's films. I went to film class and they WOULD NOT shut up about them. They were the end-all-be-all of cinema. But apart from good acting, a great script and clever cinematography, they sucked.

-Sin

.............. I missed out on some Classics. smurphy's Avatar

Dont be too harsh a judge on your first viewing of Bladerunner. I enjoyed that movie a lot more the second time I saw it because there is so much much that can be missed the first time around. Regardless, THAT Rutger Hauer speech(a lot of which was improvised) stills blows me away. Just watch it with an open mind is all I am saying.

And Sinister, I have to agree about Ingmar Bergman. I found the films of his I have seen to edge on overtly nihilistic, but thats probably just me. The only contribution of Bergmans that I like is that he inspired the opening credits of the Pythons Holy Grail, but thats pretty much it.
    Last edited by smurphy; 12-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Hackers, greatest movie ever.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Registered User I missed out on some Classics.

A lot of films that I haven't seen have been so ingrained into our pop culture that I don't really feel a great need to watch 'em: Casablanca, 2001: A Space Odyssey, King Kong, Star Wars....(specifically eps. 4, 5 and 6). However, I do want to see The Godfather movies sometime, at least definitely the first two.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    A lot of films that I haven't seen have been so ingrained into our pop culture that I don't really feel a great need to watch 'em: Casablanca, 2001: A Space Odyssey, King Kong, Star Wars....(specifically eps. 4, 5 and 6). However, I do want to see The Godfather movies sometime, at least definitely the first two.
    Forget all that Star Wars and crap, watch Godfather 1&2(especially 2). They're amazing. Won't say anymore cause I don't want to hype it for you.

-Sin

Registered BRUISER I missed out on some Classics. Nidogod's Avatar

I was just recently able to scratch JFK off of my list. Next up includes Groundhog's Day, Good Will Hunting, Seven Samurai, Godfather 1&2 (saw them when I was too young to understand them properly), most of Kubrick's library especially The Killing and Paths of Glory (I've only seen 2001, Clockwork Orange, and Apocalypse Now), and then 12 Monkeys. That's all I can think of right now.

I'm actually against the whole "ORFGORF THAT'S A CLASSIC YOU NEED TO WATCH IT RIGHT NAO" thing. Especially with the older films. If you never saw Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Metropolis, Stage Coach, ect, unless you're specifically trying to educate yourself in the history of film there's no real reason why you need to see them. You won't be nearly as impressed as all the film geeks around you implore that you will.

I invented Go-Gurt. I missed out on some Classics. Clint's Avatar

I have never seen J. Edgar until a few months ago. It truly is a classic worth seeing. If anybody hasn't seen it yet, I hate you.

Blog Entries

Y'know, as far as the Godfather movies go... I like the first one a lot. The second one... eh, I liked it okay, but it was flawed, I think. They're both slow, but while the first one felt like all the scenes played a part and had a good, cohesive narrative, the second one has a lot of scenes that I would consider self-indulgent filler. Also, it was like 3 and a half hours long. I had to watch it in two sittings (think I had to go somewhere, although I dunno if I'd have gotten through the whole thing anyway.) If I had time, I'd watch the first one again, but not the second one. And Dodie... I'm not sure if you'd like them anyway. They get pretty violent in some scenes, and generally unpleasant in others. I mean, I guess you've liked some things with violence in them, but these have a bit much. Star Wars I'd recommend, because you're an FF fan, and the creators of FF have made many references to FF (especially 12) hinting that they're large Star Wars fans. Also, they're fun, classic popcorn movies with great characters.

I personally still want to see Casablanca. I fell asleep during 2001: A Space Odyssey, so maybe I should try that one again. Haven't seen the original Muppet Movie since I was little, or the Great Muppet Caper. Brazil (Doug Walker's favorite movie, and Terry Gilliam directed) Slaughterhouse-Five, Mean Streets... really, there's a lot of movies I might like to see some day. I'm not a film buff or anything though, and there are a lot of movies film buffs praise that I would probably find boring and pretentious. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Make sure to get the directors cut and watch it on blu-ray