Thread: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Blog Entries

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Anyone going to see this on the 13th? I also see something about a world premiere on the 2nd... Is the rest of the world getting this before those of us in the states?

I plan on going to see it, but... as much praise as I gave AUJ when it first came out, I really had very mixed feelings about that movie. It felt very stretched out, and Peter Jackson added a lot of melodrama, a few action sequences and a few characters that weren't in the books. I don't mind that he tried to give the dwarves individual personalities and I don't mind that he was adding Quest for Erebor stuff, but I really didn't like Azog. I don't think they needed a villain chasing them around, and even if they did, why didn't they use his son Bolg, seeing as he's still alive? He would even have more of a motive; dwarves killed his father (not specifically Thorin, as someone pointed out to me because I'd misremembered.) I could've also done without Bilbo's decision to leave and Thorin's antagonism and then turnaround of Bilbo; those just weren't developed enough or well written to me. They were total Forced PJ Conflicts! (...the internet is going to act like that's not a thing, but oh well; watch NChick's reviews of the LotR movies and you'll get it.) Also, friggen' Radagast... I don't hate his portrayal like a lot of people did, but I was also not thrilled with him. Especially since now there is no explanation for how Gandalf found the key and the map to the Lonely Mountain (not to mention what happened to Thrain. I suppose they could still cover that in the next movie! Or did they cover that in the extended edition? I'm not getting the damned extended editions of these films though.)

There was enough in the first movie that I liked-Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, the dude who plays Balin, the settings, the score, whenever Jackson directly used the source material-and promises of other things from the books-Beorn, the spiders, Smaug-to get me to go see this next one, but I have a foreboding feeling about it. Especially how heavily they're using Legolas and Fanfic Evangeline Lilly Elf Character in the previews. Speaking of fanfics, a lot of Peter Jackson's original material feels like fanfic writing to me (in case I didn't make that clear in the previous paragraph.) I get a feeling like this movie is not going to focus enough on Bilbo Baggins' journey for my tastes. We'll see though.

Certified tech, come at me! The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I, myself, am also looking forwards to this sequel. I really loved how the first one played out and how the character development worked throughout the movie. I hope part 2 will have even more excitement and good character development as well as great action scenes. I hear Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be in this continuation.
    Currently Playing:

Death Before Dishonor The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was a very big fan of the first one. Will definitely have to make some to go and see this.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Got my imax tickets booked, wahooo!!

Cumberbatch is doing the voice of Smaug, I'm kinda pissed off they showed Smaug in the trailers after hiding him from view for the entire first movie, kinda made the whole mystery thing pointless..

Fun fact: I used to be friends and went to school in the same year as Aidan Turner (plays the character of Kili)

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Xanatos's Avatar
    As someone who read the book first I was somewhat disappointed at how hard Peter Jackson tries to connect The Hobbit to the LOTR through various characters and events that simply do not appear in the book and make it as dark and gritty as possible. That being said, it's still a good movie with great performance by all involved so I'm bound to see The Desolation of Smaug, although perhaps not immediately at it's release. I'm glad they included Benedict Cumberbatch, as an actor that man made quite an impression on me in the last few years.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Mystyrion The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug C:/Dille.Run's Avatar
    I'll be seeing it release day. Nothing else to add

Chief Inspiring Officer The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I'm really excited about it after seeing the first one. I must say: how refreshingly violent! I'm thrilled that they decided to bring a lot of the LOTR characters back for cameos, as I always thought the trilogy simply wasn't long enough to satisfy a proper Tolkien fan.
    I'm totally pumped to see this movie!

EDIT: I was joking around with my brothers while watching it - SO fun.
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

Mystyrion The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug C:/Dille.Run's Avatar

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

IGNa review says it's better than the first in every way possible.

Also, just got my tickets opening night
    Last edited by C:/Dille.Run; 12-07-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    So, Desolation of Smaug was very meh. Okay at best. Martin Freeman was great as Bilbo, but he was almost totally out of focus in this in favor of what should've been side characters (or not there at all) in Legolas, Tauriel, and Bard the BARGEman-not to be confused with Bard the GUARDSman-and his family. The moments between Bilbo and Smaug were great, and Benedict Cumberbatch was terrific of course-best part of the movie-but then... Gah. This movie was so bloated and over the top with unnecessary action sequences and side stories that didn't need to be there. Jackson extended the film not so that he could include more story from the book-there was actually stuff from the book that was NOT in this movie-but to add his own fanfiction. Also, the CGI orcs look terrible. I didn't hate it, I kinda enjoyed it because it's still The Hobbit, but... *shakes head*

Registered User The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Sang Hee's Avatar
    Telegraph, that's exactly what I was gonna say. Gotta add that the emotional impact was quite smaller than in the first movie and the music was much less memorable too which is a shame because I liked the musical tone of all the previous films.
    I hope the extended version will make it better.