Figure since we got a "Favorite Television Characters" thread, we could also have a "Favorite Movie Characters" thread. So...

Elwood Blues from The Blues Brothers:
"We're on a mission from God." "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarattes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." "What was I gonna do? Take away your only hope? Take away the very thing that kept you going in there? I took the liberty of bullshitting you." (You lied to me.) "Wasn't lies, It was just... bullshit."
I love this movie, and I love the Blues Brothers. Of the two, Elwood is my favorite. Something about the way Dan Aykroyd delivers his lines, combined with the look, and that ridiculous dance, and the harmonica, it's just awesome. He almost got to spend a night with Twiggy... what might've been.

Ash from Fantastic Mr. Fox:
"Do you think I'm an athlete?" (What are you talking about?) "Well, you know, I think I’m an athlete, and sometimes I feel like you guys don’t see me that way." "This? Nothing. Just some old trophy I won for being an athlete." "You're supposed to be my lab partner." (I am!) "No, you're not. You're disloyal."
Ash is a silly, eccentric, awkward little fox cub who wears a cape, feels insecure in the face of his more athletic, more intelligent cousin, and is picked on for being "...different." He lashes out, spits on the ground, etc. He's funny. I like him. I think I can kind of relate to him too; growing up (and now) I am "...different" too. I also really like his cousin Kristofferson. The two have some great interactions. Really funny. In fact, the whole movie is funny. You should see this movie if you haven't. RIGHT NOW.

Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings:
"That's for Frodo! And for the Shire! And that's for my old Gaffer!" (Go back, Sam! I'm going to Mordor alone!) "Of course you are! And I'm coming with you!" "Then let us be rid of it! Once and for all! Come on Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you! But I can carry you! Come on!"
Ever since I first read the books, Sam was always my favorite guy. He goes a long way from being a simple, bumbling gardener to the lone support that saw Frodo through his quest in the end. He was humble and not extremely intelligent, but brave and fiercely loyal, with hidden depths and wisdom that come out here and there, and those are all traits I admire. I mean, aside, maybe, from the "not extremely intelligent" part, but everyone has their faults. His humility and loyalty are things that I think more people should strive to emulate, including myself.

Gandalf from Lord of the Rings:
"Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." "Now, listen carefully. Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise. And do not mention Frodo, or the Ring. And say nothing of Aragorn either. In fact, it's better if you don't speak at all, Peregrin Took." "Enough! I am Gandalf! And Gandalf means... ME!"
(That last one's from the old cartoon movie.)

I think you can tell a lot about a writer's personality by how the main characters act; what their values are, how they might treat you, etc. I also think you can tell how wise they are by their wisest characters (probably a little more obvious.) Therefore, I think that J.R.R. Tolkien must have been a very wise man. Reminding myself of quotes from Gandalf often brings me comfort and reassurance. Also, they often make me laugh. In The Hobbit, he refers to an even that happened "One hundred years ago, last Thursday," haha. Gandalf is a great character, any way you slice it.

Chewbacca from Star Wars:
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgh!" "Grrf."
Another fiercely loyal character. Also, big and strong. Says a lot, but indecipherable (to us.) Chewy is the beast of the group; he just throws people around and beats them up. You don't fuck with him. Coincidentally, my friends decided I was the Chewbacca of the group... I am okay with this.

There are definitely more, but I don't wanna go on and on; wanna give someone else a chance. Dodie will scold me for "writing a book." Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom