Thread: Cinema

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Cinema Xanatos's Avatar

Cinema

How often do you go to cinema? Do you like 3D? Last movie you saw in cinema? Write down anything related to cinema, really.

We used to have a really shity cinema nearby. It was a huge dump, only potheads would gather there. They would show movies several years old, and that's if you were really lucky. Luckily, Imax came with one of its branches, Cinestar, they opened like two years ago. It's bit further, 30-40 min by car, though barely anyone minds. It's pretty great to say the least, top of the line, even more so compared to what we were used to.

Prices are reasonable, on wednesday there are various discounts, needless to say I go fairly often. I in fact love cinema, I think I've been 15 times or so in the last year, I have tickets stacked somewhere in my wallet. I do hate though when people talk during the movie, luckily there was only one instance so far where it was unbearable. Some guy thought it would be wise to bring his 10 year old (I assume) daughter to see Riddick, even after God knows how many warnings she would not shut up. For a moment there I seriously thought punching a kid.

I don't mind 3D, if it's well done that is, sadly most are not. I can name tops two movies where I actually enjoyed 3D, the last movie I saw happens to be one of them, The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Another issue for me is that I have to put 3D glasses over my regular glasses, otherwise I can't see shit.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I saw Godzilla 2 nights ago and I saw a movie with my mom when she was visiting me last month.

I do not go to movies really, last movie I saw in the theaters other than these 2 was probably The Dark Knight.

I'm just lazy honestly.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries
    The cinema is my favourite place to go to, I adore it but it's really expensive (especially on a student budget). There's a campus cinema here though which is a lot cheaper and they show new releases about 3-4 months after they're out (sometimes sooner, we got Catching Fire and Thor 2 about a month after =D). I go quite often to that and sometimes to the normal cinema. There's a lot~~~ of films I wanna watch this summer so hopefully my friends and I aren't too skint.

I can't stand it when people talk in the cinema either. It doesn't happen often, but over Easter I went to see The Quiet Ones with my dad and there were two teenage girls behind us who would just not shut the **** up. I nearly threw my popcorn at them.

Although the prices here are ridiculous (standard $22-25.00 adult admission) a group of us will usually venture to the theater twice a month to see a movie. In the past, Ive organised and booked an advanced midnight screening for 7 friends n I, to see an upcoming movie that we were all psyched to see, our most recent -The Dark Knight Rises- and being such a huge fan of the first two films(and Batman in general), by some miracle I was able to book 7 seats so I had all those bitches pay me back plus interest.. I remember the fan frenzy surrounding that last (Nolan) Batman film.. insane. There was such a high demand for tickets to midnight screenings both the Sydney and Melbourne IMAX, Hoyts n Event Cinemas sites crashed with sessions selling out back-to-back. The next movie we have planned for an advanced screening is for Maleficent next wednesday Soo excited!!

The last movie I saw at the theater was The Other Woman -_- 3 wks ago. I'm the friend that picks the action, thrillers and horror genre type movies whereas the rest(majority) will almost always resort to the BS chickflicks even when there are more than enough decent movies from all other genres to choose from. Sometimes we don't plan ahead and decide on a movie as soon as we arrive there just by looking at all the huge cardboard cutouts and posters lol.

This weekend we're seeing Godzilla however I still haven't decided whether or not we should see it in 3D. I hold the exact same stance as you on watching any movie in 3D, really most are not done well it's esp risky for a first time but..god seeing that spectacle of a monster with the boost of 3D makes me drool a little.. *leaning towards IMAX 3D*

There are alot of movie theaters in my vicnity; Hoyts, Event Cinemas/Greater Union and the Imax theatre on the harbour so I'm lucky in that sense, with Hoyts offering the cheapest prices- $22.50 adults... if you wanna call that cheap.

It depends on my level of excitement for a particular movie but often my favourite part of the cinema experience is getting to see all the new previews.

The part I hate the most is having to share it with fkng dorks that lol at every little thing and those who decide to put their feet up in between the seats right on the armrest where my elbow is sitting, last time some girl did that my head turned (like the exorcist but not all the way aroundlol) n I gave her one of my death stares n she put her feet down straight away thats right btch.

Wow, that's really expensive. Drinks and snacks are fairly expensive here while tickets are just the opposite. On wednesday you can get two tickets for 5$, plus one or two gratis, depending on the offer. Needless to say it's usually crowded that day.

We had a huge Hobbit craze here, we had to wait a week at least to finally reserve some seats which is unusual for such a small area. Worst thing though in the end I didn't even go see it.

Another thing that irks me is that they screen certain movies exclusively in 3D, to get more profit out of it I guess, like Godzilla for instance.

I spent 30 dollars on GodZilla, 11 for my ticket and like 19 dollars on popcorn, a pretzel, a boss rootbeer, a shake. This place serves you food in the theater. With alcohol. It was boss.

Expensive always.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

I go to the cinema atleast once a week usually, this week i can see myself going 2-3 times.

I am just back from seeing the new X-men movie (which was good, much better than the last), my friend got free tickets to advanced screenings (nice!) so i didn't pay a penny.

I'm also going again tomorrow to see Frank (again) but to the local cinema which isn't too far away, can get in with our O2 discount (phone network perk) for 5 bucks.

I would usually go to the fancy pants mall which is my fav as they have the best popcorn/seats, however my friend recently moved near town (city center) and got a year membership card for the cinema there, so he pays like €220 for the membership and can go as much as he wants for free for a year (which is nice, but im not sold on it yet)

Usually i would spend about €20 on average for a cinema visit, 10 on the tickets and 10 on the popcorn/drink, cant help it, i looooove popcorn.

But yeah I go to see most movies that come out (that are good), i tend to avoid remakes/reboots as i ****ing despise their existence (most of them anyway), like robocop, robocop can fuck off, so can 21/22 jump street also when it comes out. I only pay for creativity (shit i havent seen before/inferior redesigns) so with that there are times when i can go a week, even a few weeks sometimes without going, that used to be a very rare thing, its becoming an occurrence more and more now though.. Which sucks..

But i can totally understand you guys from America/Aus/Canada not going much, you guys get extorted for cinema visits, crazy prices in some places I've been (havent been to Aus though).. And Americans are loud/obnoxious/annoying, talking and clapping their way through the movies, havent been much in America though, i would hope its not a trend in all cinemas.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent View Post
    my favourite part of the cinema experience is getting to see all the new previews.
    I kinda hate the trailers these days now though, they give away the entire plot in most trailers, its like im watching the movie in fast forward and can tell exactly how the movie ends. Its actually insane how much they feel the need to give away, i blame the dumbed down American audience who have to have everything explained to them, its sad really, <3 the mericans here though
    Last edited by nix; 05-20-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Consistently Average Cinema Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I used to go to the cinema quite a lot, like once a week or so, but I haven't been as much over the past year. Tickets cost around $20, and it's like 6 or 7 bucks for regular popcorn and coke, which I always end up finishing before the film starts anyway. If I go with my gf we usually stock up on food and stuff at a kiosk and then hide it inside her handbag.

My most recent experience with obnoxious people in a theater was when I took my brothers to see Pacific Rim last year. This boy was there with his family and he had this glowing/flashing ball that he kept lighting up and throwing up and down. Seriously who the **** lets their son bring a flashing ball into a movie theater and let him play with it for the entire movie?
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm cheap. I'm with Orange. I go on Wednesdays.
    With my phone network, I get two for one on cinema tickets in like 95% of cinemas, but only on Wednesdays.

Living in London, it's pretty pricey to see a movie. At Vue, to get VIP tickets (you get a much nicer chair, more leg room and armrest space - just £2.50 more a ticket), you're looking at £16/£18 a ticket, depending on peak times and days. When me and my boyfriend went on our first date, we saw Transformers at the Odeon at Leicester Square, and that cost him over £40 for the both of us (I felt so guilty, so I splurged on lunch and snacks and drinks afterwards).

There's this place in Wood Green which is like £6/£8 a ticket, but it's an awful cinema - a bit seedy (I've been there a few times, and twice, some couple had hands in each others pants - classy North London), the chairs are broken (I wonder why?), popcorn is as stale as a rhino's ass (sorry, Kurt, I was thinking of analogy, and I saw your sig gif bopping up and down so lol) and the place stinks of weed. I went there with my best friend to see Star Trek, and we had the place to ourselves the entire movie - we had so much fun, and talked through the entire movie without bothering ANYONE. xD

Oh oh oh, and I'm a salted popcorn girl. Sweet popcorn is yucky. Butter is amazing, but I've never seen it for sale at a cinema here.

Last movie I saw at the cinema was The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and I loved it. I'm surprised it got so much hate. I loved how they portrayed Electro. Andrew Garfield makes an amazing Spider-Man, and I'm glad they're signing him on to a multimillion dollar contract to keep him on until 2020. <3

I next plan on seeing the new X-Men movie (end of dat Winter Solider... =O). But I also want to see A Million Ways to Die in the West, Bad Neighbour, Godzilla, Maleficent, and 22 Jump Street (oh god, I know, I know...).

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Wow, that's really expensive. Drinks and snacks are fairly expensive here while tickets are just the opposite. On wednesday you can get two tickets for 5$, plus one or two gratis, depending on the offer. Needless to say it's usually crowded that day.

We had a huge Hobbit craze here, we had to wait a week at least to finally reserve some seats which is unusual for such a small area. Worst thing though in the end I didn't even go see it.

Another thing that irks me is that they screen certain movies exclusively in 3D, to get more profit out of it I guess, like Godzilla for instance.
    I didnt realise how expensive it is compared to everybody else's here..wow. With regards to food, my friends n I always eat beforehand at the restaurants on the harbour, n guess wat they're all expensive too I have no interest in buying any of that overpriced confectionery,choctopsblehetc wateva crap they sell at the 'Candy Bar' in the cinemas these days I dont even look at the menu. I just take my own bottle of water in with me, sometimes 1or 2 friends will grab a popcorn combo last time I checked here they charge you $7 for a frozen coke and up to $14 for a large popcorn. And $4.50 for those revolting choc tops? Movie theaters charging upwards of $20 for a ticket and almost as much again for a popcorn and drink.. zJkibnwKWc0

They charge more for "premium" sessions - 3D movies on giant screens cost up to $26.50 and Gold Class-style cinemas cost up to $42.50 which is the session we all booked for Maleficent nxt week as there's a bigger group -11 girls- going this time and since its an advance screening,the price of one ticket cost me $65(incl booking fee) so they step it up a notch in Gold Class with wine, cocktails,tea, hot chocolates and decadent meals like a vege mezze platter, nachos, spring rolls, pizzetta, chilli salted edamame, sweet potato fries, belgian waffles, lindt dessertsetc in cinema, and a goodie bag plus them seats are soo comfy hehe. The cost to see Godzilla in 3D at the IMAX theater is $32.00 per ticket for adults.

Wait..Wut? 2 tickets for $5??!?? ahaha it cost that much for just 1 ticket back in the frkng 80's here. When I was a lil girl it was $7 soo...oh well these exorbitant prices are the norm for me in Sydney. You don't wanna know how much it cost to book all those seats for the midnight screening for The Dark Knight Rises well over $300..but I love Batman so meh.(Imma plug this while im here lol)

I'm waiting for Sin City 2 for 2 specific reasons:

1. I loved the first one n bought the DVD.
    2. Jessica Alba dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    I'm cheap. I'm with Orange. I go on Wednesdays.
    With my phone network, I get two for one on cinema tickets in like 95% of cinemas, but only on Wednesdays.
    Almost the exact same deal as here, same day in fact. It's hard to book tickets here for wednesday though.

Oh oh oh, and I'm a salted popcorn girl. Sweet popcorn is yucky. Butter is amazing, but I've never seen it for sale at a cinema here.
    Hear hear.

Last movie I saw at the cinema was The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and I loved it. I'm surprised it got so much hate. I loved how they portrayed Electro. Andrew Garfield makes an amazing Spider-Man, and I'm glad they're signing him on to a multimillion dollar contract to keep him on until 2020. <3
    Electro is the best part in my opinion, and I do love Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man, much better than Tobey Maguire. That being said I thought the movie had some issues, it's still entertaining though.

I didnt realise how expensive it is compared to everybody else's here..wow. With regards to food, my friends n I always eat beforehand at the restaurants on the harbour, n guess wat they're all expensive too I have no interest in buying any of that overpriced confectionery,choctopsblehetc wateva crap they sell at the 'Candy Bar' in the cinemas these days I dont even look at the menu. I just take my own bottle of water in with me, sometimes 1or 2 friends will grab a popcorn combo last time I checked here they charge you $7 for a frozen coke and up to $14 for a large popcorn. And $4.50 for those revolting choc tops? Movie theaters charging upwards of $20 for a ticket and almost as much again for a popcorn and drink.. zJkibnwKWc0

They charge more for "premium" sessions - 3D movies on giant screens cost up to $26.50 and Gold Class-style cinemas cost up to $42.50 which is the session we all booked for Maleficent nxt week as there's a bigger group -11 girls- going this time and since its an advance screening,the price of one ticket cost me $65(incl booking fee) so they step it up a notch in Gold Class with wine, cocktails,tea, hot chocolates and decadent meals like a vege mezze platter, nachos, spring rolls, pizzetta, chilli salted edamame, sweet potato fries, belgian waffles, lindt dessertsetc in cinema, and a goodie bag plus them seats are soo comfy hehe. The cost to see Godzilla in 3D at the IMAX theater is $32.00 per ticket for adults.

Wait..Wut? 2 tickets for $5??!?? ahaha it cost that much for just 1 ticket back in the frkng 80's here. When I was a lil girl it was $7 soo...oh well these exorbitant prices are the norm for me in Sydney. You don't wanna know how much it cost to book all those seats for the midnight screening for The Dark Knight Rises well over $300..but I love Batman so meh.(Imma plug this while im here lol)

I'm waiting for Sin City 2 for 2 specific reasons:

1. I loved the first one n bought the DVD.
    2. Jessica Alba dancing.
    Those prices are insane. $14 for a large popcorn, WTF?!

Not even Batman is worth that money in my opinion, especially not The Dark Knight Rises, by far the weakest one of the trilogy. Arkham Knight is gonna be amazing, it can't be as disappointing as Origins.

I love Sin City, naturally I'm looking forward to Sin City 2, although, perhaps it's just me, the trailer for it makes it kinda look cheap. I'm more excited for Guardians of the Galaxy though, a raccoon with a machine gun, now that's what I'm talking about.

Really? Ya'll liked Electro?

I thought he was by far the weakest link and the movie would have been better off without him, they could have fleshed out the relationship between Pete and Harry more and made the ending not seem like a rush job, i got the impression that the only reason he was included was to make the movie seem different to the first Spiderman movie (Raimi's first) but yeah Garfield makes an excellent Pete/Spiderman.

I thought Jamie Foxx did a pretty good job. I really love his appearance, more along the lines of Ultimate comics which is quite understandable considering how silly oldschool Electro looks. His theme and sound he creates is "electrical" which was a nice little touch. I really love the scene when he plays "eatsy bitsy spider" using those towers in electric plant to mess with Spiderman.

Aside the "lab accident" origin which summarizes nearly every comic book villain outthere, thus that line "he's one lab accident from becoming a villain" I thought they did a pretty good job establishing his nobody persona, you could actually even somewhat sympathize with him and that was awesome.

As for Harry' and Peter' rushed friendship, I feel a better solution to fix that would be not to use Green Goblin in this film at all, but they had to set up Sinister Six and that's what irks me the most. At times it felt like one huge tease than a film of its own, that scene with Rhino at the end was utterly pointless.

On a side not the appearance of Alistair Smythe and Felicia Hardy was neat, but why does every villain, be it existing or potential one has to be connected to Oscorp. Also, that scene with Peter's dad revealing the "shocking truth" about Oscorp was a wasted opportunity, they could have used it to reveal/announce something truly shocking as far as the universe they're building goes.

Those prices are insane. $14 for a large popcorn, WTF?!
    PNBeBPZoQKg

Not even Batman is worth that money in my opinion, especially not The Dark Knight Rises, by far the weakest one of the trilogy.
    I was leaning towards the total cost for all 8 of us. I had to pay for all those seats right there and then or else they wuda been gone in less than a second- thats wen the sites crashed hehe V^.^V As for TDKR being the weakest in the trilogy, abso-fkng-lutely. But it was the final movie in the trilogy and after The Dark Knight how could I've not been excited ^_^

Arkham Knight is gonna be amazing, it can't be as disappointing as Origins.
    Fo sure, maybe my GOTY but..it's Rocksteady's last Batman game Well I didn't enjoy it as much as Asylum and City but I think Origins was a great game still.

I love Sin City, naturally I'm looking forward to Sin City 2, although, perhaps it's just me, the trailer for it makes it kinda look cheap. I'm more excited for Guardians of the Galaxy though, a raccoon with a machine gun, now that's what I'm talking about.
    *high fives* No I felt the same but I try not to pick it apart n just give it a go n wait to watch it in its entirety. A raccoon with a machine gun...I immediately pictured this guy Conker's a squirrel but still..XD

I was leaning towards the total cost for all 8 of us. I had to pay for all those seats right there and then or else they wuda been gone in less than a second- thats wen the sites crashed hehe V^.^V As for TDKR being the weakest in the trilogy, abso-fkng-lutely. But it was the final movie in the trilogy and after The Dark Knight how could I've not been excited ^_^
    I know, I was referring to overall cost. 8 of you, that's 40$ a pop, not including foods and drinks I assumme. I was swayed by hype as well, thought it was a pretty great film the first time I saw it, my opinion dropped drastically after multiple seeings which franky never happened before, not to such extent that is, it's still a solid film though.

Fo sure, maybe my GOTY but..it's Rocksteady's last Batman game Well I didn't enjoy it as much as Asylum and City but I think Origins was a great game still.

It's a good game, I agree, though I was still somewhat disappointed. All those bugs and glitches, most of which still haven't been patched, really ruined the experience for me.

Would love to see Rocksteady handle Superman or a Justice League type of game, it would be nice to have a great Superman game for a change.

- Went and saw X-Men Days of Future Past instead of Godzilla yesterday, totally worth it. I was hoping to see Cable appearing at one point, did not happen. How awesome was that after credits scene though... Apocalypse is nigh!

I know, I was referring to overall cost. 8 of you, that's 40$ a pop, not including foods and drinks I assumme. I was swayed by hype as well, thought it was a pretty great film the first time I saw it, my opinion dropped drastically after multiple seeings which franky never happened before, not to such extent that is, it's still a solid film though.
    Each ticket had actually cost $90ish, at the time I didnt even give it a second thought but it was fine they all paid me back n lil more. I remember sitting through the movie though n being a lil dissapointed at some parts, I mean I still thought it was great, woulda been better if the Joker had made an appearance But I want a different villain in the games.

Went and saw X-Men Days of Future Past instead of Godzilla yesterday, totally worth it. I was hoping to see Cable appearing at one point, did not happen. How awesome was that after credits scene though... Apocalypse is nigh!
    Omg loool so did we!!! They began around the same time so we saw X-Men instead in 3D. AMAZING. SO glad we had that spur of the moment change. I LOVED Quicksilver, he was awesome n dat Pentagon Kitchen scene We were asking eachother whose power we'd want the most- I said Magneto's. But before I get carried away with spoilers, honestly that movie was epic, loved it n I wouldnt mind seeing it again.

Blog Entries
    I live a couple of blocks away from one. I haven't gone since the first Hunger Games movie came out.