Thread: Alright, I'm done searching...

Synthesized Ascension Alright, I'm done searching... Zardoch's Avatar

Alright, I'm done searching...

...for good anime. Besides Death Note, I have been on a never-ending search for the next best anime I could actually pay attention to without getting deja vu that it' basically like all the other average anime out there. And by average I mean the , A) Typical anime about some high-school kid with has/or gets super powers and is dumb as hell or the, B) Anything that has a shitty mediocre story, characters you can find any almost any anime, and rehashed animes that have the SAME damn story of other anime. Think of something like yugioh, but not as popular.

I'm sick and tired of it and I want new refreshing experiences with original, non-cliche, interesting animes that don't end up being the same as everything else. Take Busou Renkin as an example. There are some pretty interesting things in it, but in the end it's as typical as it gets with an idiot high school main character with "incredible powers" that eventually goes "super saiyan" and fights to "protect the ones he loves"! -sticks fingers into mouth to make vomiting sound-.

Now, the reason I am making this thread is to see if any of YOU can solve my problem with good suggestions. Can't say it's certain in helping me find some new and original animes, but I honestly don't know where to look anymore. At one point I even went through the entire list of anime on wikipedia [took me half a week] and only found about 3 or 4 anime that interested me in the least. I'm losing faith in anime and it saddens me.

At this point, however, you're probably wondering how can you give me any good suggestions unless you know what I like? I shall get to that now.

I like a lot of different kinds of anime, but above all I mostly enjoy mature, intelligent, and less childish anime that go beyond the typical "anime falls" and chibi art. Anime like Berserk, Samurai X [main movie], Twilight of the Dark Master, or X. Stuff that is not just a cartoon. Hell, here's a list of anime I've seen.

.hack//Legend of the Twilight, 3X3 Eyes, Akira, Angel Sanctuary, Appleseed, Astroy Boy, Baki the grappler [+Remake of series], Basilisk, Bastard!!, Berserk, Beyblade, Big O, Bleach, Blue Gender, Blue Seed, Bubblegum Crisis, Candidate for Goddess, Cardcaptor Sakura, Castle in the Sky, Chrono Crusade, Cowboy Bebop, Crest of the Stars, Cutie Honey, Death Note, Demon City Shinjuku, Digimon (first series, others sucked + movie), Dirty Pair, Doomed Megalopolis, Dragonball (original, Z, and a few movies), Ergo Proxy, Escaflowne (movie + series), Fatal Fury (all movies), Final Fantasy (legend of the crystals + Unlimited), Fist of the North Star (movies, series, and new FOTNS), Flame of Recca, Fullmetal Alchemist, GANTZ, Generator Gawl, GetBackers, Ghost in the Shell (first movie), Golden Boy, Gundam (every single series + movies), Gunsmith Cats, Guyver, Hamtaro, Heat Guy J, Heavy Metal, Hellsing (series and latest OVA), Inuyasha, Karas, King of Bandit Jing, La Blue Girl, Lupin the 3rd, Monster Ranger, Naruto, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Nightwalker, Ninja Scroll (movie + series), Ogre Slayer, Outlaw Star, Peacemaker, Pet Shop of Horrors, Pokemon, Princess Mononoke, RahXephon, Ranma 1/2th, Record of Lodoss War, Reign, Robotech, Ronin Warriors, Rurouni Kenshin, Sailor Moon, Samurai 7, Samurai Champloo, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Samurai Pizza Cats, Samurai X, Silent Mobius, Slayers, Sol Bianca, Speed Racer, Street Fighter 2 the animated movie, Tekkeman Blade, Tekken (animated movie), Tenchi Muyo (and every other Tenchi out there), Tenjho Tenge, Texhnolyze, Transformers (yes, it was an anime, lol), Trigun, Trinity Blood, Twilight of the Dark Master, Vampire Hunter D (Both movies), Vandread, Voltron, X (movie + series), Yu Yu Hakusho, Zoids, Zone of the Enders 2167 IDOLO
    NOTE: These are not a list of my "favorite" anime, lol. Oh, and I probably left a few if not many anime out that skipped my mind.

Lastly, considering what genres I like are: Shonen [duh], Seinen, Sentai's alright, mecha, Post-Apocalyptic, and Harem. Then when it comes to specific genres I enjoy fantasy, dark fantasy, some sci-fi, medieval/historic, modern day [only if it's GOOD], and futuristic. I usually love comedy, but "anime comedy" seems too childish to me some times so it's not my favorite thing [Unless there's something that goes beyond the typical "anime falls" and chibi illustrations of characters].

Suggest away and revive my love for anime.

EDIT: Doh, wrong forum, lol. Move to the animation forum.
    Last edited by Zardoch; 03-11-2008 at 05:46 AM.

Lady Succubus Alright, I'm done searching... Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Newsflash. Nothing is non-cliche anymore. And also, 90% of Shounen series are what you label as the same damn thing.

Except One Piece. I urge you to watch that. Though, start in the Arlong arc to see if you will really enjoy the series or not, because the Arlong arc is really where it starts to shine. (I think somewhere in the 40+ eps?)

Busou Renkin was also a good series. I think you're just close minded, really. =\
    There are a lot of good series out there. Who cares if it's similar?

Watch Tenshi na Konamaiki, and also Law of Ueki. Murder Princess, Air Gear...

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TophBeiFong

Seriously, just check out my list of what I've seen and am currently watching and see if you like it.

Though my very first recommendation is to get out of that close-minded mindset if you want to watch anime. =\

Otherwise you won't like ANYTHING. EVER.

Wow, you've got a really nice list there. Well I stated all the important stuff about why you need to watch OP in the Latest Anime Watched thread. But of all the Anime you listed, I'd say go for Martian Successor Nadesico. It's a funny Romantic Comedy with Mechas with tons of parodies (I'm just buying the series myself thanks to a sale Rightstuf is having right now).

Also I don't see any Miyazaki/Ghibli movies on your list (wait, I spotted Princess Mononoke). Especially if you like comedy but not "wacky" comedy, stick with his lighter stuff. Totoro, The Cat Returns, and my favorite (voted Second Best Anime of all time in Anime Insider) Porco Rosso.

Quote Originally Posted by Toph Bei Fong View Post
    Newsflash. Nothing is non-cliche anymore. And also, 90% of Shounen series are what you label as the same damn thing.
    True, lol. It's hard to find something that's doesn't have something cliche in it, but what I'm talking about is animes created solely based on other ideas and simply rehasing a storyline to the point that it becomes repetitive.

Except One Piece. I urge you to watch that. Though, start in the Arlong arc to see if you will really enjoy the series or not, because the Arlong arc is really where it starts to shine. (I think somewhere in the 40+ eps?)
    Yeah, I've been watching One Piece this whole time and I actually must say it's definitely getting better. I mean I find it similar to Naruto for the fact Luffy wants to become the pirate king [I.E. Naruto wants to become hokage], but I find the character much more refreshing and quirky, as well as skilled when it actually comes to fighting without doing the same move over and over in the same way [I.E. Naruto using shadow clone technique with everything he does]. So far, I have much better hopes with this anime compared to pthers.

Busou Renkin was also a good series. I think you're just close minded, really. =\
    There are a lot of good series out there. Who cares if it's similar?
    I never said it was bad. In fact, I liked it a lot more than many other animes similar to it. Again, the "similarity" is based on the repetition of animators writing and creating the same stories/characters you've seen in hundreds of animes before.

Watch Tenshi na Konamaiki, and also Law of Ueki. Murder Princess, Air Gear...

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TophBeiFong

Seriously, just check out my list of what I've seen and am currently watching and see if you like it.
    I will indeed check that out.

Though my very first recommendation is to get out of that close-minded mindset if you want to watch anime. =\

Otherwise you won't like ANYTHING. EVER.
    Not true. I thought I'd never like Death Note, but ended up loving it. I agree with Cain that light was an annoying character, but at least the main character wasn't some high school kid that wanted to protect every little thing and without any wit to back it up. Overall, I liked most of the other characters.

Anyway, I wouldn't call my mindset "close-minded" as I know exactly what I like. Not wanting to watch animes that are too similar to each other is simply because I hate repetition. I like the creators to hit me with something different and impressive instead of putting something together just to make a buck. I'm the same way with movies. Some times I might like some mindless creativity [Shoot'em up with the guy killing people with carrots], but eventually I grow tired of the simplistic films that I'll soon forget. I like to be entertained with GOOD art, not something that barely gets a passing grade.

This is my sin... Alright, I'm done searching... Lucid's Avatar
    You should try Sisters of Wellber. It's a pretty interesting series. I first started watching it mostly because I'm a big fan of fantasy type anime, but I'm glad I did because it turned out to be really good.
    2nd season has already started as well.

Another pretty funny show is called Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei(So Long Mr. Despair). It's freaking hilarious so far. XD

Also, if you like Harem types of anime then I would suggest Rosario + Vampire, although it's a bit on the cliche side...
    There's tons of panty shots and fanservice though! XD

Looking through Toph's list, I can already tell you to NOT check out Kodomo no Jikan because it's a loli anime. :x
    Last edited by Lucid; 03-11-2008 at 08:04 PM.

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Looking through Toph's list, I can already tell you to NOT check out Kodomo no Jikan because it's a loli anime. :x
    Please, please, please, PLEASE don't throw assumptions like that around. I'm not going to contest the content of the jokes (emphasis on the underlined) nor am I going to say that it is for everyone, but it is not what you're making it out to be. Second-hand knowledge and brief glimpses simply will not create a good basis for an informative opinion.

--

Kame, I don't really know what your tastes really are, so I'll recommend some of the same things I normally recommend.

For the love of--Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu (Hare+Guu). Hilarious after it warms up.

If you can handle a slow pace and lots of talking, .hack//SIGN (I'm surprised you haven't listed it). Even as a prologue to the game series it holds up very well on its own. I don't believe it's much like Legend of the Twilight either, for good or for worse.

On the action end Coyote Ragtime Show is great, reminiscent of Outlaw Star. Also Darker than Black. The title doesn't do much for it, but it's solid all-in-all.

Despite what you say the third Digimon series (Digimon Tamers) was quite interesting, if I recall. One of the major players in Serial Experiments Lain (and Texhnolyze to some extent) had a hand in it. It's probably still aimed at younger ages though.
    Last edited by SOLDIER #819; 03-18-2008 at 01:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIER #819 View Post
    Kame, I don't really know what your tastes really are, so I'll recommend some of the same things I normally recommend.
    My list shown in my first post reveals what kind of taste I have, but as life itself changes, so has some of my taste. As such, while I do enjoy a good action/funny anime that's quite common these days, I'm beginning to become tired of the "funny" aspect of anime. To be more specific as to what I'm honestly looking for, I'm wanting to find new darker and mature anime. The light-hearted stuff just doesn't cut it for me anymore as most of the "new" shit in the present day aren't like the anime I grew up with.

I want animes that are gritty, edgy, and without the typical comedy of anime. Anime like Berserk, Gungrave, Akira, or even somehting like Twilight of the Dark Master. Animes that are intelligent, mature, and push the boundaries of what is seen as normal. That is what I look for and what my taste in anime has become over the years.

Oh and I'll definitely check out some of those animes you listed.

It may not be hentai, but there's no denying that the subject matter is loli based, especially since it's about a 9 year old girl trying to seduce her 23 year old teacher(looked it up on Wiki).

I'm not judging anyone. I don't care what people are into, I merely stated the fact that it was "loli" because I was under the impression that Kame didn't like that kind of thing, so I was just informing him to avoid it. *Shrug*
    Last edited by Lucid; 03-18-2008 at 08:23 AM.

ok i didnt see them in your list above (pretty nice)
    so i am going to have to recommend
    Perfect Blue (movie)
    Spirited Away (movie)
    Blue Submarine (series and movie)
    and
    Devil Man (if you can find the entire series kind of older anime)

all are great and i feel kind of fit your motife
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

don't put your foot in there guy SOLDIER #819's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    It may not be hentai, but there's no denying that the subject matter is loli based, especially since it's about a 9 year old girl trying to seduce her 23 year old teacher(looked it up on Wiki).

I'm not judging anyone. I don't care what people are into, I merely stated the fact that it was "loli" because I was under the impression that Kame didn't like that kind of thing, so I was just informing him to avoid it. *Shrug*
    I wasn't saying that you were attempting to judge people. My problem lies with the fact that out of all the titles on Toph's list (who's color scheme burns my eyes) you singled out Kodomo no Jikan and denounced it alone. Chances are you had only skimmed through his list until you found something of interest to comment on, but even now you continue to try to substantiate your hasty opinion with a Wikipedia synopsis of all things. I agree that this series wouldn't be to Kame's interest. I just don't understand why you'd single it out, especially if it's only something you've heard through the grapevine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    I want animes that are gritty, edgy, and without the typical comedy of anime. Anime like Berserk, Gungrave, Akira, or even somehting like Twilight of the Dark Master. Animes that are intelligent, mature, and push the boundaries of what is seen as normal. That is what I look for and what my taste in anime has become over the years.
    I wish I could say that I've watched more anime like that. Two titles that come to mind immediately are Le Chevalier D'Eon and Monster. I've heard they're both excellent, but I can't say I've seen much of them. Perhaps they're what you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    just turn off your PS3 or 360 go to your dust tomb and say you'll give birth to 1500 people a day for the 1000 that'll be killed until the doors to hades open and you can pull out ar tonelico and turn on that glorous PS2 and be bathed in its radiant warm glow

I really enjoyed the first season of Beck, if you're into music. The storyline was great, and the music and all in all, the entire experience, was wonderful.

Call me crazy but I really like the "New" Gundam series'. SEED, SEED Destiny, and now 00 were all really good, imo.

Right now my current addiction is D.Gray-man. The storyline ****ing DRAGS for about 30 episodes, sadly, but overall I think it's really awesome. For about three months straight the show was pissing me off, but I kept watching because I knew it was going to get better, and it just now has.

It was originally slated for 2 seasons, but it's nearly to the end of it's third now. The storyline it's self was supposed to end after 52 episodes, but they put filler after filler story arc into it, kinda like what the writers did to Naruto for about 2 years straight before finally releasing Naruto:Shippuden, which is ****ing loaded with filler as well.

The Quiet One Alright, I'm done searching... Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since Perfect Blue was already mentioned, I'll just say Paprika. You have to see it, it is like nothing you have seen before. It is simply beautiful to watch. There is also Paranoia Agent which is really good to see as well. Its a strange paranormal detective story.

Blade of the Phantom Master was something I got recently and it was pretty good. Its got your violence and blood for you if you want that. And the main character is atypical. One scene he is talking to some nice looking gentleman and says a few cold things to him and tries to give me a bit of a reality check. Then goes on his way saying something sort of friendly. Then a moment later the gentlemen gets killed and he used the guy's body as a meat shield. Its a very interesting watch.

If you like Harem I just got the first volume of Shuffle and it is funny to watch. Harem these day are the same just remixed with new faces, but if they are funny they are great to watch. And Shuffle does well in the department of being funny.

If you like comedies and vampires you can try Karin, its funny to watch. Its about a vampire that sprays blood rather things sucks it. So its got some entertainment and uniqueness value right there.

Full Metal Panic is a great show to watch because it is hilariously funny and dead serious. It does well to blend ridiculous and zany comedy with mecha action and fights. There is also Full Metal Panic Fumoffu which I've watched repeatedly and still find it as funny as the first time, it is all comedy though.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is worth watching. It may not do anything new, but it knows it and makes fun of it. It is hilarious to watch and it is best to watch is broadcast order. Yes, I said broadcast order, they aired the episodes in Japan out of chronological order on purpose. Its better that way.

FLCL and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi are worth watching just because they take zany and whacked-out left-field never-see-it-coming to a whole new level. I think pretty much everyone will say to see FLCL at least once.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

The Old Skool Warrior Alright, I'm done searching... LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    D.Gray-man is pretty neat, gotta say.

Black Cat is one I'm just starting to get into myself; nifty action.

But here's one that I ABSOLUTELY love (and it happens to be in Piro's list as well): Hajime no Ippo. It is the only anime aside from Cowboy Bebop (that I didn't already read the manga for, i.e. Hellsing, Black Cat, etc.) that hooked me from the very first episode. As soon as the episode ended, I immediately felt the need to watch the next 20someodd episodes all in one sitting. So I did. And then I watched through 40. And then I finished it up the day after.

It's an anime about boxing. I never thought I'd get into a sports anime, but the storytelling is so damn good and the fight scenes are just phenomenal. The artists really captured the true feel of boxing.

edit: And definitely watch FLCL at least once.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIER #819 View Post
    I wasn't saying that you were attempting to judge people. My problem lies with the fact that out of all the titles on Toph's list (who's color scheme burns my eyes) you singled out Kodomo no Jikan and denounced it alone. Chances are you had only skimmed through his list until you found something of interest to comment on, but even now you continue to try to substantiate your hasty opinion with a Wikipedia synopsis of all things. I agree that this series wouldn't be to Kame's interest. I just don't understand why you'd single it out, especially if it's only something you've heard through the grapevine.
    Heh... I tried, but I just can't keep my mouth shut about this, especially when someone tries to put words in my mouth. I never said I was denouncing it. And I didn't single it out just on a whim. Like I said before, I was only pointing it out in consideration for Kame.

Not wanting to be one who comments on something that I've only heard "through the grapevine", I actually went ahead and watched the OVA and I've changed my mind. I can say that based on what I've seen, that this is definately considered an "ecchi loli" anime - as in, not quite hentai, but is still somewhat questionable. I'm no longer throwing assumptions around. I mean seriously...plus the fact that they wanted to release it in the US under the title "Nymphet", but it was cancelled...due to obvious reasons.

What I find hilarious though is the fact that you're trying so hard to defend it.
    I'm really not judging you, but you may as well admit that you like loli.
    Last edited by Lucid; 03-22-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Rosa
    I don't know if you've already found some good anime by now, but I guess I'll throw in a few myself ^^

First, NHK ni youkoso/Welcome to the NHK. It is not an action or mecha series though. Rather a psychological/slice of live kind of thing. What I liked about this anime was the more mature approach. It has quite some humor, but no stereotypical anime jokes It tells the story of a college drop-out who NEVER leaves his house (hikkikomori) and who sees conspiracies everywhere.

My second suggestion is Speed Grapher. I've only seen one episode of this, 2 years ago or so ^^;. I remember it being serious, a bit dark and it has action. I think it meets your interests.

I hope you'll like these.

I HATH RETURNED TO MY OLD THREAD! After a long, needed break from any kind of anime, I'm feeling itchy to find some new anime. So I am reviving this thread in hopes that anyone who'd like to suggest something (still based on my references in the first post and the like), please throw me something to chew on. And not your momma's strawberry flavored panties.

Bring it.

Delivering fresh D&D 'brews since 2005 Alright, I'm done searching... T.G. Oskar's Avatar
    Knowing you as I little know you, and seeing the suggestions given, I find it weird that Black Lagoon wasn't mentioned. It's modern, but it's mature, sometimes going a bit into the sick part without containing gore (it's more like psychological sick) The closest thing I'd say is "good story meets triple dose of Hollywood action", and I can tell from the few I've seen of the anime (I'm reading the manga, though, and it's a faithful and literal translation)

There's also Saiyuki, as well as Saiyuki RELOAD (the sequel). While it has a bit of bishounen right on it, it's a pretty interesting run on the Journey to the West, and it also has some dark thematics. It's pretty well rounded.

I'd say Kateikyoushi Hitman REBORN, but it still falls into the "ordinary guy discovers his Super Saiyan heritage". If you decide to give it a try, focus on the mafia aspect, and on the character of Reborn specifically. He's hilarious, in every sense of the way.

If you can get your hands on it, the anime version of Witchblade. Disregard the owner's identity, disregard the child. Just focus on how they worked with Witchblade. It's quite different from the American comic, and certainly interesting to see.

I heard some time ago that Studio Gonzo tends to make one spectacular series after doing a lot of weak series. The person who told me that (well, them, since it was being referred to someone else; I just happened to hear) told that while watching their version of the Count of Monte Cristo. Can't recall the name of the series, but definitely give it a try. Not only it is eye candy (the animation is simply spectacular), but the re-imagining of the original book certainly makes a pleasant distance from both the book and from typical conventions.

Also, Soukou no STRAIN. Short, strong and up to the point. The first episode alone is shocking to behold, and it will please you. Then later, it gets grittier.

Consider that all of these series are roughly from the time you were asking, if not earlier (sans Reborn, that's more up to date).
    Delivering scathing wit as a Rogue using Sneak Attack.

Pester me on the Giant in the Playground Forums if you really need me.

The Final Boss Theorem:
    The size of the ultimate form of the final boss is inversely proportional to it's chances of actually beating your party. If you agree with this, please copy and paste this valuable piece of info on your sig. AND, if you're evil and villainous...never settle for a big form when a smaller form is more kickass...

'Tis a shame I can only place names now...:
    Silver, Omnitense, Govinda, Aerif, Meier Link,
    (whatever is the name of) The Stig, Grizzly, Fishie,
    Craven, Spiral Architect, Flash AND Froggie.

Spaces still available. Join today!!

Nomu-baka, this is FAR from over...:

アズテオル Alright, I'm done searching... Azuteor's Avatar
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

The anime is a Mecha Anime created by Gainax, who also worked on Neon Genesis Evangelion. In the beginning, the story revolves around Simon, who lives in an underground colony and works by drilling to expand the town. Simon lacks any parental guidance and is often looked after by Kamina. Simon and Kamina share a brotherly-like relationship. Their lives change when they meet a young woman, Yoko, from a neighboring town and discover a key and a mecha that would force them to fight the oppression of being kept away from the outside world. Hopefully, I haven't spoiled too much. There's a big cast of characters and the story will become epic as it goes on.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann spans 27 episodes and two movies. TTGL: Crimson Chapter (1-15), the first movie, and Face Chapter (16-27), the second movie that hasn't been released yet, are basically the episodes in one film with extra or extended scenes. The quality of the anime is excellent and it will immediately get you hooked. You'll enjoy the over-the-top action and storyline, but if I'm wrong, you can kill me, haha.
    Last edited by Azuteor; 03-26-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuteor View Post
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

The anime is a Mecha Anime created by Gainax, who also worked on Neon Genesis Evangelion. In the beginning, the story revolves around Simon, who lives in an underground colony and works by drilling to expand the town. Simon lacks any parental guidance and is often looked after by Kamina. Simon and Kamina share a brotherly-like relationship. Their lives change when they meet a young woman, Yoko, from a neighboring town and discover a key and a mecha that would force them to fight the oppression of being kept away from the outside world. Hopefully, I haven't spoiled too much. There's a big cast of characters and the story will become epic as it goes on.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann spans 27 episodes and two movies. TTGL: Crimson Chapter (1-15), the first movie, and Face Chapter (16-27), the second movie that hasn't been released yet, are basically the episodes in one film with extra or extended scenes. The quality of the anime is excellent and it will immediately get you hooked. You'll enjoy the over-the-top action and storyline, but if I'm wrong, you can kill me, haha.
    I'll further agree with this, I have been watching it lately and must say I've found it to be quite impressive. It's got the same kind of comedy and attitude as FLCL but slightly more down to earth (Pun not intended).

Probably not in the frame you're looking for but Lucky Star is also a fantastic series, it basically is a parody of Genshiken with the insanely adorable Konata. Sure its set in a high school and all but it's kind of a dedication to the genre. Assuming you haven't seen it already I doubt its your thing but I personally love it.

Certified tech, come at me! Alright, I'm done searching... SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Alright, I'm done searching...

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    I'd say Kateikyoushi Hitman REBORN, but it still falls into the "ordinary guy discovers his Super Saiyan heritage". If you decide to give it a try, focus on the mafia aspect, and on the character of Reborn specifically. He's hilarious, in every sense of the way.

LOL! I've just gotten into the reborn series, Its funny that i'm not the only one thats seen it. I'm like 26 episodes in and I'd recommend seeing Reborn if you just want something comedy, there is action in it which really kicks in around ep 25.

I started it up not knowing what to expect but it ended up being a good find.
    Currently Playing:

Death Before Dishonor Alright, I'm done searching... Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Alright, I'm done searching...

Good anime is very hard to come by. It takes a long time to search for a great anime that you enjoy. Then when you do find one, it will suddenly end and will have no more episodes, then the search restarts.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!