Thread: Akira

Controlling With Fear Akira Unlucky Rufus's Avatar

Akira

I bought the animovie 'Akira' about a month ago. I wanted to know what the deal was, because i'd had heard so much about it for a long time. I'm pretty sure by alot of people's standards, it is a classic up there with Ninja Scroll or Macross Plus.

So i watched it and I was really impressed, the way the story is told kinda makes you come to your own conclusions about things. Its really hard to explain so i won't even try. But the artwork is top notch, voice acting is perfect, and the laser gun is awsome.

I'd like to here what you guys think about it, so please do tell.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Akira Xanatos's Avatar

Re: Akira

I've also had the same purchase not too long ago, got it quite cheap which is rather surprising since it's classic after all. Heard many recommendations, same as you, though unlike you I was somewhat disappointed, it's far from bad, it's just, well, I don't understand all the hype I'm afraid.

While not shabby, it seems like something's missing as far as the story goes, I have yet to read the manga in which some things may be better explained, I should definitely give it a read. On the other hand the voice acting was a pleasant surprise, I've seen far too many movies, the older ones, with terrible voice acting, characters are well done as well, can't say the music was memorable, but then again I was never big fan of Japanese music to begin with.

Animation is good for it's time I guess, now that I think about it I'm sure I would appreciate it more far more if I have watched it back then.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Controlling With Fear Akira Unlucky Rufus's Avatar

Re: Akira

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post

While not shabby, it seems like something's missing as far as the story goes, I have yet to read the manga in which some things may be better explained, I should definitely give it a read. On the other hand the voice acting was a pleasant surprise, I've seen far too many movies, the older ones, with terrible voice acting\
    Yeah, i need to get a hold of the manga too, (its an Epic Manga,around 2200 pages long) Imo the only shotty voice acting in Akira was the espers (little blue kids). I was hard to listen to them somtimes.

-Oh and sorry meier, didn't see that one.

Blog Entries
    Heh, thanks Meier.

Anywho, I love the movie. I haven't had a chance to read any of the manga but I own the movie and I watch it every couple weeks or so. The scene at the school still makes me laugh.

Loved Yamgata(Probable spelling error), he was easily my favorite charecter. He brought a sence of seriousness and at the same time that "lets go!" atitude. Great flick though.