Thread: A Tradition Ruined AGAIN!

The British Guy. A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! Robbo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A Tradition Ruined AGAIN!

Final fantasy XIV isnt on Xbox 360 what a douche Final fantasy XI was on pc aswell but the only platform they couldve had it on then was windows but putting it on PS3 and not Xbox 360 is silly really they just have to put the data on to a different Disc type and i have owned every final fantasy since FFVII (apart from XI and IX) but i was only born in 1994 so i would just like to hear peoples views on whether leaving Xbox 360 out was a good idea especially seeing as its on windows computers.

I want to play a game. A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! Zargabaath's Avatar

Re: A Tradition Ruined AGAIN!

What tradition are we talking about here? Putting Final Fantasy XI on the 360 2-3 years after its release on the PC and PS2 and just months away before the U.S. release of Final Fantasy XII.

Is this tradition of putting the online Final Fantasys on the 360 or just the latest FF? If it is the former then 1 game does not constitute a tradition nor does 2 (FFXIII). Last I heard there were disagreement between SE and Microsoft but SE hasn't ruled out bringing Final Fantasy XIV to the 360.

What does being born in 1994 have anything to do with not owning all the FFs. I started playing in 2002 and have beaten all main entries (excluding FFXI).

I just noticed something: use some punctuation.

If it were released on the 360 later on I think the sales would be there to justify its release, though FFXIII sold less on the 360 and the added fact that FFXIV is online which translates into lower sales of the game. That is, if the game doesn't become a big hit - a lesser WoW. It should be noted that with even a half of FFXIII's sales on the 360 - around 500,00 - the profits would still be wonderful with the monthly payment. The question would be if 360 owners would want to play Final Fantasy XIV and if Microsoft and SE could settle their disuptes.

I would say remember, but you were born in '94; Final Fantasy were originally released on a Nintendo console but switched to the Playstation for FFVII. If not putting Final Fantasy XIV on the 360 is a douche move then how does Nintendo feel about not having a main entry since FFVI - the rage of a thousand gods? Nah, Nintendo is doing just fine with Dragon Quest by their side (RPG related).

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Magically Delicous A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! Merlin's Avatar

Squall~Dissidia, I think you are mad at the wrong company. Microsoft is the one being a "douche" about the situation as far as I'm concerned. They want to put their hands in pots that don't belong to them and now they get nothing. They need to stop trying to compete in outer sectors and go back to their roots.

To really be able to play all the good games, you can't limit yourself to one system. I love my 360, but when it comes down to it, I have no loyalty to brand. If the game plays better on PS3 I'll buy it on the PS3, vice versa. FFXIII was a fine example of that. 1080p video/uncompressed sound versus 720p/compressed sound... The choice was simple.

Now with FFXIV that is a totally different kettle of fish. I'm buying it on both systems.
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-19-2010 at 03:20 PM.

The Old Skool Warrior A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    versus 720p/compressed sound...
    *cough* 540p crappily upscaled with compressed sound *cough*

Also, though I do need to find a source, I believe the 360 isn't powerful enough to run the game without dumbing down the engine. Also, most MMO companies don't like the idea of stacking pay-to-play on top of pay-to-play. I know it was one of the largest complaints about FFXI.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Registered User A Tradition Ruined AGAIN!

Ermm i read somewhere can't really remember where... but it's something to do with the closed network of the xbox 360.. not sure how true this is, i don't own an xbox.

ermm sides, probably better getting it for the PC anyway as it will take a few gig of HD space, and even more in years to come.

genesizz257

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    Ermm i read somewhere can't really remember where... but it's something to do with the closed network of the xbox 360.. not sure how true this is, i don't own an xbox.

ermm sides, probably better getting it for the PC anyway as it will take a few gig of HD space, and even more in years to come.
    this came from an interview with tanaka-san about why Microsoft wont let ffxiv be used with xbox.

Tanaka-san laughs and says he'd love to know the exact reason. His understanding is that MS made a one-time exception for FFXI because XBL was still young and needed any boost it could get. Now MS is unwilling to open up its system to work with FFXIV. All development for a 360 is cancelled for now.

Microsoft's logic is simple: MMO sales are logarithmic. You get the initial amount, then smaller repeat amounts every month. Microsoft is only getting the initial $10 off each game and nothing for the repeat business. In their mind that isn't fair.

In my mind... I shouldn't be having to pay an extra $10 a game for Sony and Microsoft in the first place. But as long as game companies are willing to deal with it, nothing will change and situations like these will arise.

Blog Entries

probably shouldve been clearer about the tradition which was owning every final fantasy on the week of uk release but now i cant as i dont have a computer that meets the requirements and i have an Xbox 360 and after writing that i found out it was microsoft's fault still equally as annoyed. and Zargabaath punctuation disagrees with me and the simple thing would be buying a PS3 or a better computer but i just left high school (in england high school finishes at 16 then you can do college until you are 18 for those who dont know) meaning i dont have a job and any positions ive seen so far require someone who is 18. so all i can do is moan about it.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Also, though I do need to find a source, I believe the 360 isn't powerful enough to run the game without dumbing down the engine. Also, most MMO companies don't like the idea of stacking pay-to-play on top of pay-to-play. I know it was one of the largest complaints about FFXI.
    If this is the case, something must have happened later during development as it was originally being developed for xbox360 and PC with a possible PS3 port. The problem as I've heard it was just Microsoft being greedy as others have mentioned. Though, that doesn't really matter as either way 360 owners will be getting the game delayed at the very least and not at all at worst.

I don't really see any tradition being killed though. I mean FFXI was also on PS2, the predecessor to the PS3. It was also the only FF game on the 360 until FFXIII unless you include Crystal Defenders which used FF sprites...

Personally I'm a little torn on what to play the game on. I feel I'd rather play the PS3 version as I've gotten more used to playing consoles (with keyboard and headset thanks to HOME), but I'd rather play it as soon as possible and it seems the PC version will be out considerably earlier.
    victoria aut mors

Registered User A Tradition Ruined AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Squall~Dissidia View Post
    probably shouldve been clearer about the tradition which was owning every final fantasy on the week of uk release but now i cant as i dont have a computer that meets the requirements and i have an Xbox 360 and after writing that i found out it was microsoft's fault still equally as annoyed. and Zargabaath punctuation disagrees with me and the simple thing would be buying a PS3 or a better computer but i just left high school (in england high school finishes at 16 then you can do college until you are 18 for those who dont know) meaning i dont have a job and any positions ive seen so far require someone who is 18. so all i can do is moan about it.
    You say you can't but you can... owning all on week of release is different from that off playing..

the spec for pc actually needed to play FF XIV isn't all that high... not really. now as for playing on maz spec of the game, then yeah you will need good PC. also remember the PC version is out a good 6 months before the PS3 version (IF microsoft allowed FFXIV on Xbox 360, then this would be the case as well)... end of day squareenix was making plans for a 360 release but microsoft said no... make a petition or something

The settings are still high enough to put quite a good number of people out of the loop. My video card was considered top-notch at the beginning of 2008, yet the minimum requirements for this game are higher than that. Unless you bought a new computer in the last year and a half, it is more than likely underpowered. "Minimum" requirements means the game will function, but it probably won't be a smooth ride.
    Last edited by Merlin; 07-22-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Blog Entries

the spec for pc actually needed to play FF XIV isn't all that high... not really. now as for playing on maz spec of the game, then yeah you will need good PC. also remember the PC version is out a good 6 months before the PS3 version (IF microsoft allowed FFXIV on Xbox 360, then this would be the case as well)... end of day squareenix was making plans for a 360 release but microsoft said no... make a petition or something
    My computer is so obselite that it doesent meet the requirements to play The Sims 3 which i wasted 35 pounds on.
    Last edited by Robbo; 07-26-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder
    Melibooyah says:
    Uggh bbl everyone is blowing me uo and I have to do my homework -_-
    Typo's change everything ^

So you have owned every Final Fantasy except 1,2,3,4,5,6,9 and 11... hardcore.

Rune Knight A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! Trodorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yang's bald head View Post
    So you have owned every Final Fantasy except 1,2,3,4,5,6,9 and 11... hardcore.
    LOL... but you have to give some people credit, some people never heard of the first final fantasy game. some people thought it started with 7 and the number was just supposed to be just a random number thrown on a catchy title.

Blog Entries

i also have 5 and 6 for playstation which i think still counts cause i got them on release week for playstation even though it was on the Nintendo ( i forget) before playstation so.. yeah. The tradition was successfully done until 9 for which i think i was on holiday so nothing i could do really.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Melibooyah says:

Squall, they change something in every single Final Fantasy. The only *tradition* would be the battle screen. Every Final Fantasy had something new in each one. You probably haven't even played FF2, but if you did, would you call it nontraditional because there isn't a typical FF leveling system?
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Registered User A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! Sharpshooter's Avatar

The only reason I didn't play FFXl was because I have wireless internet connection
    So thats means no online play for my ps2
    But since this game is coming out for the ps3, I'll be willing to give it a shot
    (Though first I might buy FFXlll)
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 08-30-2010 at 07:05 AM.
    Final Fantasy and Samurai Champloo FTW!!

I think it's great not being on the Xbox 360.

360 is an inferior system (good job with those HD-DVDs....) and it has to live with the breaks it gets. Final Fantasy was nintendo first then playstation, I'm glad it's not whoring itself out to other systems just for a larger profit.

Generally Xbox's online community is known for being even more vulgar, irrational and downright stupidier than general online community (which gets pretty bad anyways). It's probably because every jock that never played video games before got pulled in by that really not-very-spectacular series Halo and other FPS and slash-em-up mindless weak story games. Sadly That seems to be the direction games and gaming systems as a whole are taking with Xbox at the forefront.

Most Xbox users can be left in the dust for their bad decision making. All that being said not 100% of Xbox players follow this pattern obviously

Also how is 2 out of the last 3 games on Xbox a tradition? If anything its following the only recently established pattern of; one game for both, one game for playstation, one game for both, etc.
    Playstaion ID: Setzer_All-in

- "Phoenix Downs are your friends. But remember Cloud they don't always work. I'm looking at yooou Aeris"

-"Immortal maybe... but not invincible!" -Prince (of Persia)

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

I think it sucks really.
    It sucks the same way Lost Odyssey, Magna Carta 2, Tales of Vesperia (in English speaking countries anyway) were only on 360 and Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3 and White Knight Chronicles were only on PS3. It sucks because some people still don't want to invest in both consoles and at this stage, both have some brilliant exclusives and this will just be another that half the gamers can't play.

As far as the main part of your post went though Dan558, Xbox 360 games are on standard DVDs (HD-DVDs were movie only and through an external peripheral) and the 360 is capable of some feats the PS3 isn't, just as the PS3 is capable of some the 360 isn't. I can also tell you that abusive, intolerant younger teens can be found quite readily on both platforms - when PS3s had those price drops, waves of them came in. And looking at my games collection, 360 still beats PS3 for RPGs and I have more shooters for PS3 than I do 360, though the PS3 does completely dominate in the field of strategy RPGs.

The true victims will always be those who could only get one console or the other.
    victoria aut mors

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    The only reason I didn't play FFXl was because I have wireless internet connection
    So thats means no online play for my ps2
    But since this game is coming out for the ps3, I'll be willing to give it a shot
    (Though first I might buy FFXlll)
    You have satellite?

If you are talking about a wireless router/switch, that is irrelevant as even the older iterations of the IEEE 802.11 specifications have much higher bandwidth than internet connections. That is unless your internet connection is over 54Mbps, in which case, once again it hardly matters for playing an online game. That is more than enough bandwidth.

Now if you have satellite or a modem(yes they still make those...), then you're just f#cked...
    Last edited by Merlin; 08-31-2010 at 08:29 PM.

This ain't no place for no hero A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! Tiffany's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan558 View Post
    I think it's great not being on the Xbox 360.

360 is an inferior system (good job with those HD-DVDs....) and it has to live with the breaks it gets. Final Fantasy was nintendo first then playstation, I'm glad it's not whoring itself out to other systems just for a larger profit.

Generally Xbox's online community is known for being even more vulgar, irrational and downright stupidier than general online community (which gets pretty bad anyways). It's probably because every jock that never played video games before got pulled in by that really not-very-spectacular series Halo and other FPS and slash-em-up mindless weak story games. Sadly That seems to be the direction games and gaming systems as a whole are taking with Xbox at the forefront.

Most Xbox users can be left in the dust for their bad decision making. All that being said not 100% of Xbox players follow this pattern obviously

Also how is 2 out of the last 3 games on Xbox a tradition? If anything its following the only recently established pattern of; one game for both, one game for playstation, one game for both, etc.
    I'm glad you put that as "most" Xbox users...

As Silver mentioned, you get the annoying txt tlkng brats on either online network. I have both a PS3 and a 360 (actually had two 360s but lent one to my brother) and I like them both for different reasons. The Xbox definitely gets more play (by me, personally) than my PS3. I haven't turned it on in so long that I'm afraid of how long its going to take to update.

That being said, I don't buy into the stereotyping and generalization of a gamer based on their console preference. Different Strokes for Different Folks.

OT:

The main reason why I bought my PS3 was to play FFXIII. When I found out that they were porting it to the 360 I was pretty ticked, as I feel like I spent a bunch of money for nothing. Now that it is going back to PS3 (I take it? I haven't kept up with the news ) I feel a bit better about it all.

But I also agree with Silver's other mention about how it sucks for people who haven't invested in both. Lost Odyssey was phenomenal!

Registered User A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! darknesse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    You have satellite?

If you are talking about a wireless router/switch, that is irrelevant as even the older iterations of the IEEE 802.11 specifications have much higher bandwidth than internet connections. That is unless your internet connection is over 54Mbps, in which case, once again it hardly matters for playing an online game. That is more than enough bandwidth.

Now if you have satellite or a modem(yes they still make those...), then you're just f#cked...

I honestly wish my internet connection was something like 54Mbps.. That just sounds ludicrous to me. I really do envy your internet over there.

The wireless here usually gets me about 100 or something Kbps (i havent actually tested that in a while) download, from a wireless connection. Ill also note that i live in Australia, and the goverment here generally sucks when it comes to speedy internet. I went to a mates place the other day, and we were damn exited when he got his 1.5Mbps download speed. It seemed simply amazing.

I guess to the point.. I believe even something like 5Mbps should be completely fine
    ~Blink your eyes just once and see everything in ruin

Embrace the night my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Squall~Dissidia View Post
    Final fantasy XIV isnt on Xbox 360 what a douche Final fantasy XI was on pc aswell but the only platform they couldve had it on then was windows but putting it on PS3 and not Xbox 360 is silly really they just have to put the data on to a different Disc type and i have owned every final fantasy since FFVII (apart from XI and IX) but i was only born in 1994 so i would just like to hear peoples views on whether leaving Xbox 360 out was a good idea especially seeing as its on windows computers.
    Final Fantasy is not the most popular game on Xbox 360. It's more popular on the Playstayion (be it 1 2 3 or Portable) They put it on PC cause it's an online game. they're not being douches. So what XI was on 360.
    It wasn't as popular as it was on PS2 on PC. That's what square enix is talking about.

Blog Entries

Going slightly off topic but i know a lot of people have subs to this thread and its related. I want to know how people are doing on this game because rather than sit back and scream im old enough now to get a job and have applied at a few sports retailers(for weekends college and all) so i will get this game and a laptop to play it on.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Melibooyah says:

Registered User A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! Selcopa's Avatar

A couple things.

Microsoft didn't want PC and PS3 users to play on the same servers as 360 players.
    Microsoft didn't want to conform to the payment plan for FFXIV(I think)

I have no problem with it being on multiple platforms, the games are meant to make money, and it doesn't tarnish to the 'purity' of the game if its on different consoles.

I do have issue with an MMO being a numbered game. I understand why they do it, I just don't like.

I'll definitely still get it and love it, just like XI

and OP, play poker, make money, buy a good computer

I'll make you famous A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! Rydia Lover's Avatar

like selcopa stated, the biggest reason i can infer as to why it wont be released for 360 is because microsoft demanded exclusive servers for xbox live players, when SE said no.

kind of defeats the gimmick of cross platform gamming doesnt it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermetal
    But I think this girl is uber hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour.Delirium
    You ARE my number one, Rydia Lover. <3
    current games playing:
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Assassins Creed Revolutions
    Saints Row: The Third
    Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Fallout New Vegas

Rune Knight A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! Trodorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rydia Lover View Post
    like selcopa stated, the biggest reason i can infer as to why it wont be released for 360 is because microsoft demanded exclusive servers for xbox live players, when SE said no.

kind of defeats the gimmick of cross platform gaming doesn't it?
    to me it SE trying to shell out money to have an xbox eclusive server for the game. so they figured no not worth the money, we will make more money just by running everything on a single server so its less cost and more money for us.

Final Fantasy Noob! A Tradition Ruined AGAIN! ZenMonkey59's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan558 View Post

Generally Xbox's online community is known for being even more vulgar, irrational and downright stupidier than general online community
    Oh, sweet sweet irony.

Why would you be happy that people with an Xbox don't get to play a game? I will never understand how people can hate on another console like this...its ridiculous! We're all gamers, we're all Final Fantasy fans, who cares what console we choose to play on?
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX