Thread: Is it too late to start?

Zeron175

Is it too late to start?

Well with upcoming FFXIV is it too late to start FFXI. I know that they said that they don't intend to have FFXIV replace FFXI but I still have bad vibes that they might shut down the server prematurely. So how do you feel about the current situation regarding the game.

Most likely, when FFXIV is out, servers will be merged as they start to lose population. It might get a little crazy, but I don't see the game being shut down just yet.

Personally, though, I'd just wait for XIV if I wasn't already playing XI.

I was also thinking about playing it, I played it briefly when it was first released, but had money problems so I couldn't carry on playing, now I have cash, I'm seriously considering it, maybe just play it until XIV comes out...just so I can have the experience of playing Final Fantasy XI, you know.

I think I'm beginning to understand. An answer from the Planet, the Promised Land...I think I can meet her...there.

Che
    It's not like it used to be when it first came out. If you don't have friends that already have lvl75's, etc, it's going to be really hard to get things done in the game.

Paradigm Shift Is it too late to start? FFTheBest's Avatar
    Anyway, XIV won't be out for ages, we still have XIII to get through yet. I'm sure it's not too late.
    "Humans are tools, I'm not gonna die for one of them..." - Lightning - FFXIII

Che
    XIII will last a week max. XIV will be out in 2010.

Paradigm Shift Is it too late to start? FFTheBest's Avatar
    You would complete XI by 2010 if you got it now.
    "Humans are tools, I'm not gonna die for one of them..." - Lightning - FFXIII

combat ready Is it too late to start? nocht's Avatar
    nah it'll never be to late and even if a bunch of people drop out of it it just means more kills for you ;]

Permanently banned Is it too late to start?
    I doubt they will shut it down. FFXI is still really popular (several people on forums I go to talk about it, several people I know in real life talk about it, and they still sell it in stores).

They sell the game because it's still their number one profit game they have. As far as shutting down the servers? They wont, they will keep the game up until it's official that it's dying. It's how all MMOs are if whenever they start to die down. The only merging I believe they will do is the names so veteran players can keep their names.

As for starting FFXI now? Go ahead but you wont get that far into the game by the time FFXIV comes out.

wbartp
    Hoping someone can answer a question for me about FFXI: I've never played a MMORPG before. I wasn't planning on it, but if XIV will also be online, then I figure I should start FFXI (I don't mind if I'm not far before FFIV comes out). But to get stuff done with a party, will I have to be online at particular times to coordinate with the rest of the party, or are parties formed for short-term, particular purposes and then disbanded? With my schedule I could only play for an hour or two at most at a time, with an occasional four or five hours if I'm lucky. I just don't want to miss out on my first FF title...

FF:Zero (RMXP) - Writer/Director Is it too late to start? Petros's Avatar
    I started up again shortly before the XIV trailer was released. I enjoy it still and at the end of the day it's a purely enjoyable game whether XIV is there or not. I would recommend starting up, it's a lot of fun and very underrated.
    WRITER & DIRECTOR

Made with RPG Maker XP

Visit our website at:

Registered User Is it too late to start? Kindushin's Avatar
    If you have some time and money to spare - XI is always fun! Although it might be wise to ask someone to help you as when you first get there it's kind of confusing.

wbartp
    Thanks. I'm sure it is fun (huge fan of the series -- flew all the way out to Chicago for the Distant Worlds concert this weekend), but how about my question about parties? I couldn't join a party for more than a couple hours at most -- my schedule is just too hectic. I know there's a lot that I can do solo, too, but I'd like to do the party stuff too when I can -- but will I be able to just pop in and out of parties, or do they stick together for a long time (i.e., more than a couple of hours)?

FF:Zero (RMXP) - Writer/Director Is it too late to start? Petros's Avatar
    That'd be fine really most of the people have hectic lives too. Other are in their parents basements nerding away but who am I to judge, I'm posting on a huge internet based Final Fantasy Forum.
    WRITER & DIRECTOR

Made with RPG Maker XP

Visit our website at:

wbartp
    Okay, thanks -- I work 80 to 120 hours a week, so I'm glad to hear I can still party up for only brief periods of time. Not sure how parties work. Always been more of an offline gamer.

Registered User Is it too late to start? CeeJay's Avatar
    I haven't read the rest of the thread, there's too much.

But from what I know, I heard they've got another year or so of content for XI planned, and even after the release of XIV they'll be running them side-by-side for a while, depending on how XI population goes.

I think.

So no, it's probably not too late.

Something smells shiesty... Is it too late to start? IceColdPillow's Avatar
    Personally, I enjoy being on the top and with the best. I would just stray away from 11 and start licking your chops for 14. Unfortunately Ive never played 11, BUT in relation to other games, I never want to start in an already established community as they are ready to move onto a new, better field. BUT, if you enjoy casual play,and no pressure to be atop the upper echelons, then start up 11 they wouldnt abandon the fanbase for awhile. They love the loyal fans.

take in example the MLG transition from Halo 2 to Halo 3. 2 was an extremely popular game but the numbers decreased as soon as 3 came put in the pro competitve level, making halo 2 left to extreme new competitors and hardcore loyals, lessening enjoyment and competition.

OR play both :]
    How about I wash your mouth out with a revolver?....

Lets be best friends

Bye-Bye, Taisai Is it too late to start? postalblowfish7's Avatar
    Bollocks!

It's NEVER too late to start - especially if you do so on Alexander. There's actually still a healthy crop of nubs, and the fact that people are constantly going back to lvl1 to get more jobs to 75 combined with the ease of Level Sync, you WILL be able to go 1-75 and rank 1-10 without too much stress. I say especially on Alexander because me, a few oldschools like Psiko Dawezy and Fluffy, and a good solid group of helpful, friendly, non-condescending people will be there to help you through the struggle.

I think it's a goddamn shame so many people are going to miss out out on FFXI. You don't realize it at first, but once you start playing through the story missions (namely Chains of Promathia), you'll realize FFXI has a story that rivals the best in the series - with real emotional connections to the main characters impossible to avoid. And of course, the most important character is always your silent avatar.

There's just SO MUCH there. Hundreds of notorious monsters, hundreds of boss battles, 20 jobs, and 5 fully fleshed out stories for your single character to play through. It might be overwhelming at first - just take it one step at a time.

If you end up on Alexander, look up Phinn.
    ~ R.I.P. Alexander Server ~
    Phinn - San d'Orian Hume - Shiva Server

Re: Is it too late to start?

This is cool. I may give this game a try. As long as there're still n00bs on Alexander, I should be fine.

I hopefully want to start up again and play on Alexander again. I mainly just want to find a good way to make gil over all.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Damn, I wish I was less broke. I might start later...

Registered User Is it too late to start? AmethystSnowfall's Avatar

Anyone low level or thinking about starting want to send me a message/ friend request? I think I may be starting FFXI in the next couple weeks ^_^