Thread: Tell me, FFXI fans...

Professional Klutz. Tell me, FFXI fans... Hyzenthlay's Avatar

Tell me, FFXI fans...

... Why should I play this game over WoW? Or more accurately. Is there anything better? I've heard FFXIV sucks so I'll ignore that road. The next option is this; FFXI.
    I've been on WoW for AGES now, but I think it may be time for a change. What can you do on FFXI that will be refreshing in comparison?
    Also, will I still be able to do all the cool things like PvP and such?
    I'd also like to know what it's like in comparison to the other FF's. Like, are there hunts/ side quests/ things to collect?
    Is there a separate UK and US server? If so, who are the Brit players on here? I'd like somebody to adventure with.

Any information would be helpful. I did look online but all the info seems to be... Unhelpful.

Hyz.
    Last edited by Hyzenthlay; 12-20-2010 at 05:59 AM.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Tell me, FFXI fans... che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Tell me, FFXI fans...

Going from WoW to FFXI would be like taking a step back, in every way. The game used to be fun, but I would imagine you'd be disappointed. PVP is not fluid or really practical in FFXI.

Servers are not segregated.

The only thing I can even think of is if you don't mind absolutely relying on people to do anything (it's not like WoW where you can solo stuff), and can stand outdated graphics, it IS pretty different than WoW if you're looking for a change.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Elloewen Tell me, FFXI fans... ultimatekupo's Avatar

I have met many people on ffxi who haven't even played final fantasy games before, but they came from wow and love ffxi. FFXI has gone through a lot of changes lately though. You get a free trial when you buy the game and set up an account. The game is fun I think because of the people you choose to interact with and fight with in partys. Like chad said, you rely on other people for a lot like for leveling, and everyone I have met on there has been great about helping noobs bc it is the kind of game where everyone needs the help, and continues to rely on people throughout the entire game.
    "There is a special providence in the fall of a sparrow" -Shakespeare

I loved the team aspect of the game. It makes you feel needed.
    haha. Of course, I played a Red Mage and I could actually solo
    some enemies. Nevertheless I liked ffxi game play a lot. Not to
    mention I think the community is friendlier. I made so many
    friends in that game. In WoW, no one would even talk to me
    for the first dozens of levels, I had to do it on my own.

Badass Military Agent Tell me, FFXI fans... Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    I loved the team aspect of the game. It makes you feel needed.
    haha. Of course, I played a Red Mage and I could actually solo
    some enemies. Nevertheless I liked ffxi game play a lot. Not to
    mention I think the community is friendlier. I made so many
    friends in that game. In WoW, no one would even talk to me
    for the first dozens of levels, I had to do it on my own.
    I agree, I mainly loved FFXI for the way they did the job system... epic..
    I say this because I would love to play another FF game where if I changed my job to Dragoon I'd have a Wyvern following me. I think if they really tried, they could tone it down and make it into an offline RPG.

Sigh Can't wait for my desktop to get here so I can jump back on playing

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

As a WoW player who has tried FFXI twice I'll have to warn you that FFXI feels terribly rigid in comparison to Wow. Unless you plan on really relying on a group of friends or strangers to help out you will find the leveling process terribly tedious and unfullfilling.

After seeing areas for the first time you will get incredibly bored and will find it hard to catch on to the restrictive travel systems (only able to teleport eventually and only to places that your faction controls which isn't guaranteed).

WoW has a lot more going on in it then FFXI does, many places are desolate with only rare NPCs giving bland quests (i.e. La Thaine Plateau). Especially compared to the new quests offered in Cataclysm.

Everything moves slow in FFXI and it gets old fast. Like I have stated in another post the only thing FFXI has over WoW is customer service and Besides being a bit bland in color the graphics are less cartoony which I like (but in a same way that limits how varied things can look).
    Playstaion ID: Setzer_All-in

- "Phoenix Downs are your friends. But remember Cloud they don't always work. I'm looking at yooou Aeris"

-"Immortal maybe... but not invincible!" -Prince (of Persia)

Registered User Tell me, FFXI fans... Selcopa's Avatar

FFXI is hard
    WoW is not

If you like games that are difficult, FFXI is the way to go, otherwise WoW isnt so bad.

And yes I have played WoW, I experienced AQ, Naxx, and Sunwell, all in their prime. FFXI is harder.
    http://www.kadokado.com?ref=Selcopa ~Free games with some prizes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
    FFXI is hard
    WoW is not

If you like games that are difficult, FFXI is the way to go, otherwise WoW isnt so bad.

And yes I have played WoW, I experienced AQ, Naxx, and Sunwell, all in their prime. FFXI is harder.
    Hahah. FFXI's only arguement to it being harder is that it's a shitter game. Yes, WoW is easy and it has the convenience factor in it, but FFXI was never hard, ever.

Registered User Tell me, FFXI fans... Selcopa's Avatar

Shittier because you dont do 15k DPS or whatever the cool number is these days, crafting is cake, what story is there in WoW? hey uhh why are we killing Ragnaros, or C'Thun or Kel'Thuzad again?

The game is so limitting in that you cannot excel beyond other people, and I was in a top 50 guild globally during Vanilla Wow, its not hard, and dedication to grinding gets you nothing but alts.

People think its shitty because "OMG I Cant solo to max level in a multiplayer game!? shitty game" please. How long do raid bosses last in WoW before firsts? usually the time it takes to clear the trash.
    http://www.kadokado.com?ref=Selcopa ~Free games with some prizes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
    Shittier because you dont do 15k DPS or whatever the cool number is these days, crafting is cake, what story is there in WoW? hey uhh why are we killing Ragnaros, or C'Thun or Kel'Thuzad again?

The game is so limitting in that you cannot excel beyond other people, and I was in a top 50 guild globally during Vanilla Wow, its not hard, and dedication to grinding gets you nothing but alts.

People think its shitty because "OMG I Cant solo to max level in a multiplayer game!? shitty game" please. How long do raid bosses last in WoW before firsts? usually the time it takes to clear the trash.
    Whoa. You just went nuts. Not once did I make an argument for WoW. I simply said FFXI was a shitty game. It was! Not that we all don't have better memories of FFXI than we do WoW (for some reason).

Your response is so ****ing cliche that I want to throw up. I saw the bait in your first post, and totally sprung that shit open without even diving into it.

I would defend some of WoW right now cause of his 2nd grade post, but no.

FFXI is not hard in any way shape or form. Just takes up more time compared to other MMOs.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    I would defend some of WoW right now cause of his 2nd grade post, but no.

FFXI is not hard in any way shape or form. Just takes up more time compared to other MMOs.

i was going to say that about FFXI haha. I mean if by "hard", you mean "time-consuming", then yeah, it is very hard ;p

(that's what she said)

Final Fantasy Noob! Tell me, FFXI fans... ZenMonkey59's Avatar

Time Consuming =/= Hard.

WoW does have a great story. You can choose to ignore it, but its there for those who want to experience it.

I tried FFXI when it came out...and I didn't like it much. I've heard terrible things about FFXIV. Its too bad Square decided to make the online games part of the "core" series...I like the idea of beating all the core FF games...and its not possible due to the MMOs.

Mini-rant over.

Just try FFXI. You can get in pretty cheap now. I think you can get the game for around $20 (at least that is how much it costs to get it on 360).
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX

Skie's Dark Lady Tell me, FFXI fans... SailorCallie's Avatar

For a FFXI player such as myself, I've also played WoW. (Check my signature, folks) While it may not be FFXI, WoW had kept me occupied for some time.

But, since I haven't played FFXI since August, 2008, I yearned for almost three years to return to Vana'Diel, reunite with my Linkshell (WheelofTime, IIRC), and resume my quest to become a class I've yeared for years: a Dark Knight.

WoW, OTOH, enabled me to create several more characters on three separate servers without an additional cost per character while FFXI does that for an extra US$1.00, which explained why I created my Mithra, Darklady, as my primary FFXI character.

Yes, I've enjoyed not only WoW, but FFXI as well. Someday, I will return to Vana'Diel come hell or high water.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki4NUl8vbJ0

The Cringe: Empty Table AMV by SailorCallie (me)

PSN Username: SailorCallie
    Nintendo Network Username: Callie1277
    XBox Live Gamertag: SailorCallie77

I also don't like the idea of 1 dollar more for another character but it makes sense, since you can play multiple classes on one character.

I honestly can't wait to get started on playing this game again but I'll have to see how much free time I'll get to play.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Skie's Dark Lady Tell me, FFXI fans... SailorCallie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    I also don't like the idea of 1 dollar more for another character but it makes sense, since you can play multiple classes on one character.

I honestly can't wait to get started on playing this game again but I'll have to see how much free time I'll get to play.
    And if you choose to play the mini-game, Tetra Master, you also pay another US$1.00, so that option is up to you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki4NUl8vbJ0

The Cringe: Empty Table AMV by SailorCallie (me)

PSN Username: SailorCallie
    Nintendo Network Username: Callie1277
    XBox Live Gamertag: SailorCallie77

I'll play FFIX for Tetra Master.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Final Fantasy Noob! Tell me, FFXI fans... ZenMonkey59's Avatar

I don't like the extra charges like that...still a fun game though.
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX