Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start over on ps4 and...

Boxer of the Galaxy Looking to start over on ps4 and... Rowan's Avatar

Looking to start over on ps4 and...

I want to start a clan with people. I know being in different time zones could make it difficult, but I really want to start this again. I feel if I have it on ps4 I would play it a LOT more than I would on pc. RPG's are meant for consoles and I've always believed that. Its not that I didnt enjoy playing ARR on pc, its just that I somehow just fell out of it. I may have stuck with it if I had someone to play with as well.

Are there any benefits to playing it on ps4 as opposed to PC? are there any disadvantages? Also, would anyone be willing to start it with me?

The Quiet One Looking to start over on ps4 and... Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    PS4 and PC are about the same. The only real difference is the controller has a thumbpad that doubles as the mouse. But you can plug in a mouse and keyboard on the PS4, which I do and it plays perfectly like I'm on the PC. I switch back and forth between the platforms. Though honestly, I'm faster on the PS4 in some respects. Mostly to do with character movement and confirmation actions.

Also you can join us on Ultros, the FC is pretty big at this point and we have a decent amount of people around the world. Mostly in the US naturally, but we have some from other parts. So you should be able to find someone on. I don't know what part of the world you're so I can't speak for that with certainty.

We have a few starting players in the FC and plenty of people willing to help. So there's no shortage, time zones might be the only factor.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

I live in Australia, so im wondering what the best server for me to join is, in terms of best ping etc. I am sold, I really want to experience ARR again and it looks amazing on ps4 as it did on my pc, but I just know if I have it on my ps4 ill use it more. Also, how expansive is the world? And what has changed since I stopped playing? When I stopped playing, you mentioned a new job class and being able to build houses. Im pretty much convinced that Im going to play it, but Id like to a short summary of those couple of things just to get me even more pumped up, if you wouldnt mind explaining to me here.

The Old Skool Warrior Looking to start over on ps4 and... LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I guess it really depends upon the time of day you plan on playing. I play pretty late for my local time, and that usually means kicking up around three or four in the afternoon for you.

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Blog Entries
    Well there is even more stuff likely around since when you left, I don't know exactly when you left. But there is a new mid-patch coming out next week to delivery a bunch of new stuff and the next major patch is coming next month 2.3. You can read all of the details over here http://thefinalfantasy.net/forums/fi...v-summary.html.

But here is a short run down on everything I can think about.

Housing is in, but it is very expensive and only Free Companies right now, but Private Rooms in Free Company housing in coming in 2.3 and Personal Housing will be coming after that, best guess right now 2.4, which will hit in Sept/Oct time frame.
    The Vanity system is in now, so you can look however you want and still wear that gear you need for your level.
    Depending on the patches make you go, there have been 2 brand new dungeons and 4 Hard Mode versions of old dungeons, with another new dungeon and 2 more Hard Modes coming next month, and the Hard Modes are actually different and not increased stats of the same thing you ran at lower levels. So they are actually fun to run.
    Crystal Tower is in and more Crystal Tower content is coming next month with even more classic FFIII bosses.
    Second Binding Coil of Bahamut is out, the First Binding Coil is now unlocked on the weekly lockout, just like Crystal Tower. So you gear up and play as much as you want.
    Leviathan was added and Ramuh is coming next month, so more primal fights.
    There is a Gilgamesh fight that is awesome.
    Daily Beast Quests give you plenty of money and things to do on the side.
    Even more main story.
    New Dagger and Gun based jobs are coming soon, announcements likely to be at E3.
    A new playable race is incoming and teased in the 2.2 storyline.
    And the amount of end game content to do now will leave you busy for months likely.
    It's even easier now to level up with dungeons being on par with FATEs.

I don't know how bad the ping will be for you in Australia using the server we are on. They divided up all the servers into regions. If you want you can make a character on both and see how the ping and latency is to decide. I only offer Ultros because nearly everyone on TFF plays on Ultros, so if you want to play with people on here that you know that's the only place to go.

Blog Entries
    Also to note, last night I ran into another one of our forum members who just started playing recently, Alice. They're also from Australia, so you'll have someone you can play with Rowan from your own time zone. They also joined the Free Company, so there's one friend for you. ^^

The Persistent Flourish Looking to start over on ps4 and... Alice's Avatar
    I was really surprised to run into anybody from TFF on there! It makes sense, Final Fantasy and all, but after being away from this place for so long, it just caught me off-guard. I only picked Ultros because the VI reference amused me, geez.

But yes, if you ever want to do something and I'm online, feel free. Note: I'm new to the game with only a week of experience.

Blog Entries
    It's good fortune. ^^ But Ultros does seem to be popular by accident or no with many different groups.

If you aren't playing with a keyboard and mouse I don't know how you can even consider playing this game on the Ps4 without the keyboard mouse combo.

Ping should never be an issue on an MMO server for anyone anywhere in the world. I've played MMOs with servers based in Norway with 10k+ people on it at all times with 0 issues with ping/latency.

I feel the same way as your Rowan, I want to get back into this game and do it, sadly I know I wont enjoy it. There is something with me that wont let me "learn" a new MMO more than just I can play it and do the dungeons, I need to know the mechanics and small things. I just can't do that anymore. I do know how you feel though, that feel.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

The Persistent Flourish Looking to start over on ps4 and... Alice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loaf View Post
    If you aren't playing with a keyboard and mouse I don't know how you can even consider playing this game on the Ps4 without the keyboard mouse combo.
    I have to admit, I play on PC with a 360 controller, and I definitely find myself using the mouse a fair few times. It feels really awkward to me otherwise. Andromeda said you could plug in a mouse or keyboard into the PS4, though, so..

I guess which platform you pick really just depends on what you feel most comfortable with.

My entire beta test experience was with a Controller on my PC. I hated it within 1 hour but I stuck to it to see if it had any advantages. It honestly does not in my opinion. You can hit your hotkeys WAY faster on a keyboard than a Controller, especially when you add your own like Q, E, Shift Q and Shift E, Z X C V
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Hi guys , back now. Okay so I just started yesterday and I'm a level 15 Lancer. First death was fighting that dragon controlled by the mage guy during the "guard the guardian" story mission. I had no problem with the first part, but for some reason I dropped like a fly to the second part, so badly in fact that I thought it was one of those "supposed to die" parts of a game. To my shock, I was actually supposed to kill it. Im going to level upto 18 and carry some antidotes as I believe thats why I dropped so quickly. Hopefully these 3 extra levels will make it somewhat easier for me, and possibly finding some lvl 18 or so armor. Any tips would be appreciated.

And Loaf, I had experienced it on PC and while I do admit controlling on a PC is easier but I am learning with the controller and finding it okay now. I find the game much more enjoyable to play on Ps4 than PC.

Anyway, I ended up playing on EU Odin server. The server is so empty compared to when it first came out, thats its no joke. Fate's are barely doable since theres only 1 or 2 people participating with you, sometimes theres noone. And its so damn frustrating trying to finish a quest when a FATE is right in the middle of it. Anyway, I figure I can change worlds later on with my character and join ultros.

Also, could someone explain to me what a Free Company is, and why its good to be apart of one? I got an invite from randoms and I just denied it because I dont know them or what it means to be apart of one... Can I start my own? Does it require a minimum amount of people? How do I start my own?

The controls are the same on both PC and PS3/PS4 with a controller. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying that you are at a disadvantage on the controller due to how fast you can react and hit your skills that are needed. Especially if you need to position yourself. If FF14 was slow paced and designed for a controller then I can see it working well but I feel they didn't focus on the controller because they knew how many people hated playing FF11 the way you had to.

I personally feel in any video game, your reaction time is crucial and with a controller, you are hindered with it. (in this game)
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

I actually think that this is the kind of game where reaction time isnt crucial at all. I can see you saying that about a shooting game where reaction time is absolutley vital to success, but in this, I can hardly see a problem with it. Are you referring to skill access and using potions etc? I admit that its easier on PC, but its not so bad with a controller. Also, plz help with tips on afrementioned boss.

Blog Entries
    To Guard a Guardian is a storyline quest, not a Lancer one - but if that's the one you mean with the gargoyle and the mage, that guy is a total douchebag. Winning this fight is actually surprisingly simple, though. Focus on the gargoyle. Don't even look at the mage. If you don't provoke him, he actually stays out of the fight entirely, and when the gargoyle is about to die, Yda and Papalymo show up to save your ass, allowing you to take on the mage.

And Loaf, I had experienced it on PC and while I do admit controlling on a PC is easier but I am learning with the controller and finding it okay now. I find the game much more enjoyable to play on Ps4 than PC.

Also, could someone explain to me what a Free Company is, and why its good to be apart of one? I got an invite from randoms and I just denied it because I dont know them or what it means to be apart of one... Can I start my own? Does it require a minimum amount of people? How do I start my own?
    I'll address this in two parts.

I only use keyboard and controller. I don't touch a mouse at all (although you can program your own macros that use <mo> [mouseover] to allow your summoned pets to attack/heal different targets, and the PS4 has a built-in trackpad for that). The only time I touch the keyboard is to type (hurrrrrr) and to issue pet commands, which I have set to a keyboard hotbar instead of the controller. All other actions I do on any given job are tied to my controller's hotbars. It's just a matter of arranging your skills in a manner that is comfortable for you.

~

A Free Company is like a player-owned guild. It's good to be a part of one because at higher levels, there are perks like various FC benefits that can be activated by spending company credits (faster xp gain, more grand company seals, slower gear wear, etc.) and housing and such become available once a FC has purchased the land for it.

You can start your own, but you need two other people to step in as officers in order for the FC to be "approved" by any of the grand companies. I think you might also have to already be level 20+ and have done the grand company storyline quest, but I'm not positive. Andromeda had the FC formed already by the time I was able to log in for the first time. I was out of town when the game released last year.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.

Blog Entries
    I started answering, but saw Loco covered a lot of it.

I'll confirm that the poison is often the thing that can get you killed in that story mission you mentioned. It should also be noted that most story missions, until end game have a level range, so you can't actually over-level or over-gear the fight. So fights will retain their challenge even when you hit make level. Though the thing that changes will be your skill level, i.e. when you fight Titan for the first time you're going to be running around in a panic and screaming your head off that he's too hard. Then when you fight Titan HM or EX and come back to Titan you'll be like why did I ever find him challenging.

Also you haven't gotten to the fights yet, but FFXIV is actually heavily dependent on your reaction speed and latency of the game. All Primal fights require good, not perfect, reactions and timing. Most end game fights will require even more timing, almost perfect timing and teamwork. So it is actually accurate to say that it is very important in this game. The difference of reacting a second too late can mean your death and the death of the party.

The FC requirements are you need to be level 25 and cleared up to the selecting a Grand Company. Then you talk to the Grand Company NPC to get an item, costs 25k gil (I think, I remember being a little short and it being a consider early game), and then you need to find 3 others to sign your FC item and take that back to the Grand Company NPC to get your FC made.

You can only be part of one FC, but you can be in up to 8 LS (Linkshells). So keep that in mind as well.

Okay this is all excellent information. I will pay more attention to my skills and hud bar and practice my combo's and timing with skills in order to get ready for these 'fights'. I am glad the difficulty of the game will get harder as so far up until this boss (which I've attempted only once) have been far too easy.

I have a couple of questions left,
    1. What is the best way to get armor? Through missions? I am primarily using a Lancer at the moment, and some story quests have this really strong armor available, but not for my class, which is frustrating. (really want that dragoon armor)

2. What are those sub jobs? leatherworkers, botanists etc? What benefits does it bring to take up one of these roles?

3. Also Andro, you mentioned that there was a 'vanity' option which displays whatever equipement you already own for your class to be displayed on your character, regardless of what you have equipped. Where is the option? When does it become available?

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the challenge of the game is a slow increase over time. The dungeons and Primal fights I feel do a good job of stepping you into the game without jumping the difficulty spike to an impossible height. But the first fight that will really start testing you and telling you to be on the ball will be the Ifrit fight. All of the Primal fights are great moments where things jump up a notch.

The class quests are generally good about giving armor that you'll need. I've found that in general you can get by with what the quests give you. But if you want to get better gear or improve slots that are just lagging behind, you can do dungeons repeatedly. They will always drop gear for their level and will be on average better than what you'll find from the quests. Those are the easiest ways to get gear. After that you can go to NPCs and buy standard gear or look at the market board, both will cost gil, naturally.

Leatherworker is a crafting class that is completely independent of the combat class Lancer. Things break down into 4 groups and 2 sides to the groups. You have your combat and non-combat classes. In the combat classes you have your Physical based ones (Disciple of War) and your Magic based ones (Disciple of Magic). They can share some skills between each other. The non-combat classes are your crafting based ones (Disciple of Hand) and your gathering based ones (Disciple of Land), which also share skills, but you'd only want crafting sharing and gather sharing between respective classes. The combat ones won't benefit the non-combat ones.

The only advantage to one or the other is that crafting and gathering can supply you with materials, resources and equipment/items that you can use for your combat classes and your combat classes and supply the other half of materials that come from monsters to your crafting classes. They are also a way to earn money, crafting/gathering classes that is.

There is an NPC in Mor Dhona that unlocks the vanity system. Once that happens you can do it with anything gear you have. It requires you to have an item to spend to apply the visuals to what you wear. I think the quest might be level 50, which does seem a little silly to want until your 50 to get vanity.

I actually think that this is the kind of game where reaction time isnt crucial at all. I can see you saying that about a shooting game where reaction time is absolutley vital to success, but in this, I can hardly see a problem with it. Are you referring to skill access and using potions etc? I admit that its easier on PC, but its not so bad with a controller. Also, plz help with tips on afrementioned boss.

For reaction I feel I didn't explain what I meant for it. Mainly on times you need to move out of the AOE attacks the enemies do, switching targets and skill selection for any OH SHI- moments that can and will happen in MMOs.

But in the end, I have my friend Gus's voice in the back of my head saying "No dude I've been on a controller my whole life, once I'm comfortable, I am just as quick as a PC user on a keyboard and mouse."

The game is still great either way.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Blog Entries
    I think it is partly the difference of what it is originally developed for. FFXI was created for the PS2 first and then hit PC, yes the reverse occurred in the US, but Japan it was the other way around. As a result, FFXI fit quite well with a controller. Everything was easily navigated by the controller even though there were tons of menus. However, FFXIV was made for the PC and then ported to the PS3 and later PS4. So controller input definitely doesn't have the same ease of navigation. While I do appreciate the effort to make the controller hotbar work, I prefer the PC hotbar because it has more, slots 12 to the 8 for controller. I can see where the controller is actually probably faster than the keyboard for your hotbar, but the loss of so many slots really feels more constrained. These days I make it work without so many and I could probably manage it, but now I'm so used to keyboard for shortcutting every menu in game I can't go back to full controller. But I think it is a lot in the difference in how the two were made. But I do play controller, mouse and keyboard when I'm on the PS4 because I like the controller for player movement more than the ASDW and mouse around the camera to do finer movements.

Playing FF14 on a controller made it feel like a normal FF game because of moving the cursor with the D Pad. Same as FF11 feels on Controller or Keyboard.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Can I use a controller AND a keyboard and mouse, all at the same time???

Blog Entries
    Yes, I do regularly when my controller is charged. Being the whole only having 2 USB slots, I have to pull the mouse sometimes to charge the controller for longer gaming sessions on the PS4.

So do you sit close to your television then when you play it? I dont imagine keyboard and mouse cords being very long?

Lvl 30 lancer, lvl 10 maruader. Joined an awesome FC with a cool housing. It has 3 floors! is there a way to see your total play time?

also, what is the point of those sub jobs? Like a leatherworker, alchemist etc? Is there much point taking up one of these roles? how can they best benefit me? If iw as going to be anything, I want to be the class that can sythesize materia into my weapons and armor, otherwise It seems like the rest of the other jobs are pointless. I obviously dont know what the benefits of them are.
    Last edited by Rowan; 06-01-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Leatherworker and alchemist aren't sub jobs. They are full classes/jobs for you to explore. They are treated equally as Lancer or any other combat class. You mostly use them to craft gear for yourself or sell and do materia melding. There can be money to made from them, but you need to be fairly high level for it.

Okay so I have a few more questions;

The gear you get at the wolves den, is specifically called 'PvP' gear. Does this mean that gear is only to be used during PvP fights? Can I wear that gear like I would any other gear and benefit from it? And if so, does that mean I need to be lvl 50?

Also, is it reccomended that I puchase gear for my current level from the marketboards? I see that its the same gear but it gives much higher stats than the same gear that is purchased at your local vendor.

Lastly, are there any benefits to upgrading your Grand Company status? I am a first class private or something (only 3 higher from when I first joined). What are the benfits from applying for promotions? Is it only the ability to be able to purchase different items from the GC vendor?

Blog Entries
    You can wear the PvP gear anywhere, but it often has special stat bonuses that only kick in during PvP.

If the gear in the marketplace is giving higher stats, that's because it's High Quality. It'll have a little circular symbol with what appear to be a couple gashes in it off to the right side.

You can also purchase Grand Company gear with your company seals. You get a higher "wallet" cap as you rise through the ranks, and the gear you can get there is much better than -most- things you can get from quests or markets, and only slightly worse than the Aetherial stuff from dungeons.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    PvP gear is meant for PvP, as it gives you special bonus meant for PvP, but you could actually use for regular combat, but you'll find it is easier to obtain non-PvP gear that'll be equal or better than the PvP stuff. You only need to be level on the gear to wear it. Just remember not to look at the item level, but the level underneath the item level. The item level can and will later be different, namely higher than the level below. The level below indicates the physical level the job must be to wear it, but item level is what actually affects the stats for the gear. So a lv50, item level 60 (ilvl60) gear will be inferior to a lv50, ilvl70 for the same body part. But both can be worn by lv50.

If the gear on the market board is the same, but better stats it means it is probably HQ (High Quality) gear, so it's stats will be higher. Gear you earn from quests and the NPCs will always be Normal Quality (NQ). So yes you can technically get better gear, but it's not a requirement by any means. In fact, you'll often find gear equal to HQ or possibly better from in dungeons. I made it from 1-50 off almost nearly quest gear, so it's not a requirement. Better gears starts becoming a factor when you hit 50 and the dungeons start getting more tightly tweaked for specific average item level.

Upgrading or getting promoted in the Grand Company is definitely important. If you want to do higher level GC leves you need to be promoted. There is also gear and materials only found from their stores. You also will get a higher seal cap, maxing out currently at 50,000 seals, which will be very useful later when you're not spending seals like mad. So definitely get your promotions.

Blog Entries
    I see we answered simultaneously again.
    WHY AREN'T YOU LOGGED IN

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast