Thread: Let's Play: A Realm Reborn, with Crysanthe Mariveaux

The Old Skool Warrior Let's Play: A Realm Reborn, with Crysanthe Mariveaux LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let's Play: A Realm Reborn, with Crysanthe Mariveaux

So, as we creep up on the early access for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, I thought it would be a neat idea to start up an LP thread for my character. I intend to take screenshots here and there, and stream a bit as well. All of this stuff will end up in this thread. I encourage you all to ask questions, and if you're playing? Start your own threads if you'd like!

Since FFXIV is an MMO, and by default, a community game, I wanted to bring that community feel back here so those who aren't able to play along can at least live vicariously through the rest of us. Aside from beginning quest stuff, I do not intend to highlight any storyline progression, as I do not wish to spoil it for anyone. In the case of something containing spoilers, I will hide it behind the appropriate tags.

I expect Andromeda would have a ridiculously large thread.

Crysanthe Mariveaux is an Elezen female Lancer in the realm of Ultros, and will be starting her adventure soon!
    (And then pausing it immediately while her caretaker is in another state next week. Ugh.)

NOTE: CLICK HERE to jump straight to Crysanthe's first day in a new realm.

If we get a fair number of LP threads rolling for this by the time I get back from Conference, I'll catalogue them all together and make a feature out of it.
    Last edited by LocoColt04; 08-30-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Consistently Average Let's Play: A Realm Reborn, with Crysanthe Mariveaux Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great idea Loco, I'd love to be able to play XIV (and XI) but It's not easy for me to do right now. I've got a couple friends who are interested in this game too so I'll try nag them to take a look once these threads get started.

What made you pick the race and Job you chose? Did it take a lot of thought or was Lancer just the job for you?
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

The Quiet One Let's Play: A Realm Reborn, with Crysanthe Mariveaux Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I hadn't really even thought about it. Sounds like it could be fun. I honestly didn't even know when I was going to get the game. There's a lot of JRPGs out around and in the future. But I guess if there's interest or demand for it. I could change that. I had planned on getting it at some point. Though quests aside, most of the game is about the fighting and exploring, even more so than other RPGs. Would people find it boring just watching a lot of random monster fights?

Would there be any privacy concern with anyone's names and IDs popping up in game?

Did you plan on just selectively putting up a few videos rather than everything you doing, story aside?

I guess let me know if you want me to do a Let's Play for FFXIV. I'd be game for it if enough people would like to see it.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

The Old Skool Warrior Let's Play: A Realm Reborn, with Crysanthe Mariveaux LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm not always going to stream. But I figure, when I do, I'll highlight out the awesome fights or interesting bits, and link back the cuts to the thread! As far as screencapping IDs go... not really. I mean, it's all public domain. As long as I'm not sitting here claiming rights to the screenshots (because they're all technically property of Square Enix due to licensing, and let this post stand as my disclaimer for that) then there should be no issue at all!

When people do LP series' on YouTube, there is sometimes a licensing issue that can cause SE to send a C&D, but this is in instances where, for example, the videos have ads preceding them and the user is making money off of SE's intellectual property. Twitch has ads because it's what keeps Twitch free. YouTube has ads above and to the side and below AND in the video... it's the in-video ones that actually generate revenue for the users, and therein lies the problem.

And yes, I would genuinely like to see you do one!

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.

The Quiet One Let's Play: A Realm Reborn, with Crysanthe Mariveaux Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't too worried about the legality of it. I run without ads on my channel since I know the videos I make aren't mine. I just edit them.

But since you weren't too specific on what you were going to be putting up. I wasn't really sure. Cool battles and events sounds about right. Focusing on the more interesting aspects, will help to keep things more focused and directed. It'll be interesting. Maybe showing off new areas or features as well might be good.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'm not really interested in spoiling story for people. :3
    Maybe the occasional screenshot here and there, and I may stream it, but I don't intend to highlight it.

Oh!! Almost missed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Zisa View Post
    What made you pick the race and Job you chose? Did it take a lot of thought or was Lancer just the job for you?
    Good question! Since I can't seem to find a screenshot (I think I looked at her from a dozen angles and never could decide on where to snap a photo from) I'll just give you a good description for the moment.

I've got an alt in FFXI named Crysanthe, and she's a female Elvaan, and she was on another server so I could play with my friends who refused to switch from Phoenix to Shiva! I figure, with FFXIV, she can be my main character, and I can remake Argentos as my alt character just for the sake of having two. After all, the pay plan this time around actually supports two characters for one price regardless, so I may as well.

As for the job... the job system in FFXIV is a little different. You don't really have "classes" so much as you have a skillset, and by leveling up that style, you unlock actual jobs that you can spec into by meeting prerequisite levels of the other skillsets. Lancer is half of Dragoon, as well as half of Monk! (Lv30 LNC + Lv15 PUG = Dragoon ; Lv30 PUG + Lv15 LNC = Monk)

I figured since Dragoon was originally my dream job when I started FFXI, but then I never actually played the class, I'd go that route to start off this time and see where it took me.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    A lot of the joy for me in the last game was exploring the new areas and seeing all of the sights. So I'd probably have a lot of videos of my tours through Eorzea. The tales of the wandering Black Mage and her search for lands unknown. ^^; That'd probably be pretty fun. Ugh, I got stop thinking about the game or I'm going to get it day one. >< Darn you Loco. I want to play so badly.

I was surprised you weren't Argentos, since like you said that was your main.

I wonder if you get enough people doing these, we can put together a little TFF journey.

Blog Entries

Crysanthe Mariveaux: "My first day as an adventurer."

Crysanthe Mariveaux 08_30_2013 05_18_16.jpg
    After wandering into Gridania for the first time, I was tasked with proving myself worthy of being an adventurer. The mission was simple: slay some pesky crop-destroying squirrels and return with a report of my duties. Upon doing so, I was granted rights - and directions - to pay visit to the Lancer's Guild. Once there, I set about my next task, which was not unlike my first...

Crysanthe Mariveaux 08_30_2013 05_34_02.jpg
    I hurriedly pushed my way through the crowds and ventured out into the wildlands once more.

Crysanthe Mariveaux 08_30_2013 05_34_32.jpg
    The last of the Funguars was soon to fall!

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries

Crysanthe Mariveaux: "New sights, new sounds."

Crysanthe Mariveaux 08_31_2013 00_09_17.jpg
    I found a miniature infant behemoth, and now he follows me everywhere! He even bounces around when I wave at people.

Crysanthe Mariveaux 08_31_2013 00_29_06.jpg
    The guild sent me on a quest to clear out a spider infestation. I had no idea the spiders would be taller than I am!

Crysanthe Mariveaux 08_31_2013 00_32_57.jpg
    But, with perseverance, I prevailed.

Crysanthe Mariveaux 08_31_2013 00_47_18.jpg
    After shedding my clothing in favor of some true battle-ready gear, Galfrid asked me to investigate the Lifemend Stump. I ran all the way out there, but... well, I was rendered unconscious by some treants, and found myself reawakening back home in Gridania not much later. I'll have to try this again when I'm a little more experienced.

Crysanthe Mariveaux 08_31_2013 01_37_13.jpg
    I bumped into Eytha, a familiar face from a life once lived. She offered to help me explore the world, and we ran from Gridania all the way to Ul'Dah!

Yeah, Eytha as in Eytha Andromeda. There's a familiar face for you. I also ran into Fuzz and postalblowfish7 last night as well, and we all found our way into the linkshell. If you need a pearl for the TFF linkshell, seek out one of the following pearlsack holders and mention your username on TFF for an invite:

Joulette Marquie (linkshell owner)
    Crysanthe Mariveaux
    Eytha Andromeda
    Jaime Lannister
    Ealk Yrja

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries

Crysanthe Mariveaux: "A true Lancer!"

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_01_2013 12_07_08.jpg
    My little Behemoth buddy and I went back to Lifemend Stump and were able to successfully rout the treants this time! It was a difficult journey, but we learned a lot of new things along the way.

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_02_2013 23_34_31.jpg
    I was asked to retrieve the Stone of Courage to prove my worth as a Lancer. I was wandering around when I found this little cave... and I could stick my head through a hole in the ceiling! Have I transcended time and space?

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_02_2013 23_50_34.jpg
    I finally obtained the Stone of Courage, but it wasn't without hardship. Don't fight half a dozen Anoles at once if you wish to remain conscious!

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_03_2013 00_03_17.jpg
    But it wasn't over there... my quest for the Stone of Courage took me in new directions, and I saw a lot of new places by the time I was through! I headed back for the Lancer's Guild to relax for a while, and Eytha suggested we help the locals by participating in the FATE duties. What a delightful plan!

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_03_2013 01_22_01.jpg
    And, after a couple days of grueling growth as an adventurer, finding my place in this world, I was finally granted rights to participate in leves, learn new skills, and RIDE A CHOCOBO! *squee*

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    It's disgusting how much story progress I've made in the last day. I'm really loving this. More screenshots are on the way, but much of the batch I've been taking during this session has a lot of spoilers, so I might just wait to post from Crysanthe's point of view again until there are more non-story images.

This game is super polished. Genuinely, the only issues are with the servers, and that's just a standard MMO launch thing. It's fun. You guys should all play (but in a couple weeks when they open Ultros for new characters again ).

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries

Crysanthe Mariveaux: "An airship pass?!"

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_04_2013 08_56_40.jpg
    After a long pair of days running errands and reducing the beast population around Gridania, little Behemoth and I set up camp for the night. Of course, we did not have to do much work to set up, given we commandeered the site from a band of Qiqirn...

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_04_2013 09_17_40.jpg
    In need of a change of pace, a couple of the members from our Free Company felt that switching to a less hazardous occupation may provide a healthy break. It was an enlightening experience, but alas, there were too many troubles brewing in the Black Shroud to leave them unnoticed. Botany makes for fair relaxation, but there is pressing work to be done.

I received plenty of rewards as the following day progressed. However, I must question the fashion sense of my providers... I cannot argue with free, but this did not seem very protective...

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_04_2013 13_49_34.jpg
    I... what...

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_04_2013 14_21_32.jpg
    Ah. This is preferable.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    Image contains mild Gridania story spoilers:
    But I could not have expected what that following evening would bring. Ixal were amassing in fantastic military fashion, and... that... thing from beyond. I am not even sure what it was I encountered. Something is amiss.

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_04_2013 23_28_11.jpg
    After an arduous collection of tasks and near-death experiences, I strolled through the doors of the Carline Canopy in confidence. My assistance led to the success of the God's Quiver and the protection of some of the most sacred landmarks in all of the Black Shroud.

Crysanthe Mariveaux 09_04_2013 23_35_37.jpg
    The great Seedseer herself, Kan-E-Senna, requested that I don the mask in celebration of our victory, and in mourning of those who fell during the Calamity five years prior. There is no greater honor. I am now to serve as emissary to the other nations, a trip which I must soon make...

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    I wanted to pop in the thread real quick and apologize for the lack of updates! I've been doing so much storyline progression that I have strayed from random questing and image capturing. I'll get back to it again soon!

Are there any locales anyone is dying to see?

~ Sent from my Galaxy S2 via Tapatalk 4

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    I won't try the storytelling angle any longer since I kinda missed out on, well, a LOT, but here's a quick snapshot I grabbed from my phone of the new hairstyle, new full set of HQ Horn Scale armor (427 defense on a damage dealer?!), and shiny new Shellsplitter I picked up in Qarn today. Yay!

I am so stoked from the PS4 version to drop so I can get those super high-end screenshots again... :3

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Attached Images Attached Images Let's Play: A Realm Reborn, with Crysanthe Mariveaux-uploadfromtaptalk1388712310907-jpg 

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    You keep reminding me with these posts that I have a large store of screenshots I need to upload here. >.> I really need to take care of that one of these days. I've been putting it off and off. I should also get some pictures of the Crystal Tower for people, I'm running it again this weekend.

Glad you picked something that wasn't the Lightning hairstyle, Loco. I've been seeing that everywhere. I was half tempted when they announced it, but now I'm glad I didn't. I'll just be everyone else. I'll stick to my pink hair.

I need to buy a PS4 so I can get into the beta. >.> Though not sure if there's much of a people since the beta's coming out the same time as 8 RPGs. >.> So I'll have no time to really mess around with it. I need to find out if any mouse will work with the PS4, since FFXIV PS4 will support keyboard and mouse! Yeah!

Blog Entries
    Given the PS3 version supports any usb mouse, it'd be crazy for the PS4 version not to!

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay