Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I start playing this??

Kain's love slave ;) Should I start playing this?? Holly Highwind's Avatar

Thumbs up Should I start playing this??

Hey all!! So I was wondering if this is really worth the money because I understnad there is a monthly fee that comes with the game. I am a little nervous about starting to play a game that makes me pay monthly but its not too big of a deal. Can any of you who are playing it tell me why its so good?? What is the games big draw to you that keeps you coming back to it and not just leaving??

I am interested and I have read all the news Andromeda was posting and stuff but I havent done an online game like this that wasnt free before and I just really want to know whats up before I start putting money in.
    ***Holly Highwind***

The Quiet One Should I start playing this?? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since I'm playing the game I'll be a little bias in saying that it is worth playing. Part of what you'll want to ask yourself is how much time do you have and is the month subscription versus that time worth it for yourself. The game is very casual friendly. So even playing for an hour you can achieve good progress. You don't need to feel like you need to always be on to actually succeed. Which is a big plus for those with busy lives or just want to do other things. There is still plenty of content for the more hardcore players as well. So it is well suited for both types.

There is a wealth of content to explore and the latest patch added even more stuff recently and brought in some very helpful new features that will make things even more friendly to those that don't have a lot of time free.

Those things aside, the big reason you play the game is if you're a fan of the Final Fantasy series to any degree. More so than FFXI, FFXIV is Final Fantasy Fan Service the Game, quite literally at times. All the familiar monsters and creatures are still there, rewarding those that love the series. Cid is in the game, you have your own chocobo, which also fights with you, moogles are ever present. Familiar summons are there as well like Ifrit, Titan, Odin and Bahamut. There is even the Crystal Tower from FFIII along with the iconic bosses from that dungeon. It has classic jobs from the FFs like Warrior, White Mage, Monk and Black Mage. Future plans will even include the Golden Saucer from FFVII. Part of the fun is finding all of the references.

And like any FF game, the story is a big part of the game. Each major patch or expansion will continue to the expand the story as well and side stories. So the story will never truly end. There will always be something new to discover every 2-3 months.

There is a little something for everyone. The game also comes with a 30 day free trial. So after your initial purchase you can find out if you enjoy it or not. A modestly dedicated player can clear the main story and hit 50 within that time frame and judge if you want more or not.

TFF also has a group as you might have read here. So you'll be able to be among familiar faces, if you join our server.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

That all sounds just great!!

Ive seen the price at 30 and 40, is there a difference between the versions? I think I would definately be interested in trying this out at least
    ***Holly Highwind***

Blog Entries
    It is probably the difference of the PS3 and PC versions of the game. You'd probably see a $20 or $30 increase for the collector's edition which comes with special items for your character only available through the collector's edition. Though you can also update at any point even after your purchase to get those if it is something you want.

The Old Skool Warrior Should I start playing this?? LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd probably ensure you're going to enjoy the game before you shell out the extra dough on the fancy items. As Andro mentioned, you can always get the items later.

I was a little hesitant going into FFXIV:ARR as well, but it's understandable given how atrocious the first release was. As a long-time FFXI player, I had faith that the team had learned enough from their experiences to apply all of the overhauls necessary to make "A Realm Reborn" a genuinely exceptional gaming venture.

So far, so good.

I don't get to play as much as I'd like to, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to play it almost every night.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Mystyrion Should I start playing this?? C:/Dille.Run's Avatar
    Has anyone tried PVP? Wondering how that is

I really enjoyed the game. Sadly I don't want to put time into any MMOs right now.

The way you can use other Job's skills while using a different job is great especially when you get more skills.

An MMO that is worth a try.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Should I start playing this?? Treize's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C:/Dille.Run View Post
    Has anyone tried PVP? Wondering how that is
    Honestly, I think they need to work out some issues with PvP. You can't expect the same system for PvE to work out just as well for PvP. As it is now, it's mainly all the players attacking the healers, and whoever's healer dies first loses. I play a healer, so it's mostly running around until I either die or we win, casting as much instant stuff as I can while running away. Or it's a status effect war. I think sleep lasts for 30s, so if you get put to sleep, good luck making a comeback.

There are ways to build resistance to status effects and abilities you can get later on that are more tailored for PvP, so it's a bit early to judge it. I've also heard a lot of people who play DPS classes say that they like it, so I'd say it mainly depends on your preference, but this is also just the beginning of PvP. They have already stated that they plan to make adjustments to PvP in future patches including making it so you can go 8 vs 8. It's a bit hard to get things perfect in the initial release of something like this. And it's a bit hard to say how exactly it will pan out so soon after the initial release of it.

But don't let PvP be the sole determiner on whether to pick up the game or not. PvP is is just a small part of the total content, and there are many great things besides PvP. There's almost endless content. Especially if you start now, you'd have to devote most of your time every day to get everything done. But at the same time, you can get to the end game content in the 30-day trial included when buying the game fairly easily.

If you have the time to devote to the game, I'd say it's well worth the money. If you play an avg. of 2-3 hours/day, you're at 60-90 hours of entertainment for only $12.99 per month with the 180 day subscription. This seems like a great deal to me. That's similar in price to going to the movies or something, but you get so many more hours of entertainment. And like I said, you'd have to be playing a lot more than this to run out of things to do. But if you only have 1-2 hours/week to play, an MMO like this is clearly not for you.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Treize View Post
    But if you only have 1-2 hours/week to play, an MMO like this is clearly not for you.
    I don't know that I'd say that either. If you've got a little bit of expendable income, it's great even if you can't dedicate a dozen hours per week to the game.

I'm glad to see your thoughts on the PvP though, because I haven't had an opportunity to mess around with that myself yet. Great input.

~ Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.

Blog Entries
    It is casual friendly enough that not a lot of time needs to be put into it to still get something out of it. Which is good. The best thing to do is use the 30 day free trial to get a feel for things. After the 30 days runs out you'll have a better idea if you want to keep going and how much time you can put into it if you do wish and if that is enough for you to feel the subscription is worth it.

It is tons of fun and very much worth experiencing.

I think Im going to give this a shot

Thank you guys for your imput and opinions, its good to hear you like it all so much!!
    ***Holly Highwind***

Blog Entries
    As you've been reading the forums, you probably already know this, but in case you don't. The "TFF" server, as in where the majority of the forum members are, is the Ultros server. So if you wish to play with people you already know you can come visit us there. We have a group established, so whenever you try it out and are in game just send one of a message to invite you into the group. It'll make it easier for you to contact us when you have questions about the game.

Blog Entries
    Holly, is it safe to assume that you are Quinn Highwind? I saw your free company logout notification a few minutes after I logged in tonight. If that was you... hi! Nice to see you've joined us.

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    You would be correct, Loco. She joined over the weekend. Though the bigger surprise should be that you logged in and I missed it.

Our membership slowing continues to increase!

Im really enjoying this so far!! Its a lot of fun, and its not as confusing as I thought it would be when I first started. The early missions and things make it real easy to learn. I wish I had more time to be on more but I think Im on enough to stay around. So far Ive run into some people I think were from here in the linkshell thing. Im not sure who was who other than you of course Andromeda.
    ***Holly Highwind***

Blog Entries
    Yeah, most of the members from here don't have names that are clearly tied to their profiles here. So it is going to be a little difficult to be certain. But Jaime is Fuzz, Crysanthe is Loco and Joulette and postal, and I don't have Zero's character memories yet. There are a few others, but you may or may not have met them yet.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself! Hope you keep having fun.

Blog Entries
    Here's a snapshot of the ones (on our server, in our free company) here on the forum, in alphabetical order based on character name:

Baron Laffsoffen - Incognitus
    Che Chou - che
    Crystanthe Mariveaux - hey, that's me!
    Ealk Yrja - Ealkyrja
    Eytha Andromeda - Andromeda
    Feralina Alexandra - ZRO
    Glendon Aerif - Aerif
    Grimalk Infernos - PhantomInferno
    Jaime Lannister - Fuzz
    Joulette Marquie - postalblowfish7
    Moira Razli - Sarshan
    Quinn Highwind - hey, that's you!
    Sid Von'duul - psychosyd
    Varcrist Moen - Varcrist

Last edited by LocoColt04; 01-03-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Should I start playing this?? che's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Speaking of, I need to level my char on Ultros.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries
    Or transfer. ^^ But yes you do. I miss not seeing our Che in our special little FC. Our members our growing as of late with several new members.

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Should I start playing this?? che's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to. I just got a good group of like 10+ core members and last night was our first Coil run. We downed T1 and T2. I went as BLM, but I main SCH. Thinking I may just +1 my Stardust Rod on BLM now, since I'm the only BLM. But WHM is 48~. Could +1 a Thyrus. I have like 4 relics now lol.

But, I may level something to play with you all soon on Ultros.

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

Blog Entries
    Invite them all over to Ultros. ;p No, I understand. A good group for coil is hard to find. I'm trying to put together a group from TFFers for end game stuff, but it's going to be a bit on everyone. I think only me and maybe two others are ready for coil.

Gilgamesh is an awesome server. To bad I don't have the drive to play MMOs right now. I will finish my MNK and get to leveling other stuff and play it in the future. I have been stuck on Starbound too lol.

Edit: I would also level my guy on Ultros, I don't remember if I made him or not yet.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries
    Maybe playing with us on Ultros will give you some drive to play, loaf. There is a pretty steady stream of us on each day. So you'll probably have someone to talk to while you play.

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Should I start playing this?? Treize's Avatar
    I was thinking about starting a new character since I usually do coil in the beginning of the week with my FC on Cactaur and run out of things to do later in the week. I main as SCH there, but is there a specific job that you'd need for the FC? I'd prefer something different, but I'd be happy to join using a job that you'd actually need if you need anything in particular.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Blog Entries
    We've got everything covered by a fair margin, but if you wanted to run up a tanking job, that might not be an awful idea. It's the only thing our FC doesn't have a surplus of.

@loaf - I don't think you did.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Fuzz is our only 50 tank that I know about. I think we have some that are leveling tanks, but I can't remember too well. We have a couple in the LS that are tanks that help out on things, but they aren't part of the FC. If you end up making a character on Ultros Treize let me know or one of the other members and we'll send you an invite. I'm on pretty frequently so you have good odds finding me, Fuzz is the other I'd say on regularly. Though activity has been surprisingly highly this weekend.

Blog Entries
    Holidays are over; I exist again. I think you underestimate how many hours I put into FFXI, Andro.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    No, I know how many hours you put into FFXI, which was why I was sort of relying on you actually be on FFXIV quite a bit, but when I rarely saw you I sort of gave up on the notion. If things are turning around then all the better. An active FC and LS is a lot more enjoyable.

Blog Entries
    Well I'm sorry that my activity dropped pretty quick at the beginning but I promise that wasn't really by choice. It was a crazy couple of months. But hey, I'll probably hit 50 tomorrow.

Holly, how is everything coming along for you? I saw you on again a couple mornings ago but you were idle.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    50's the magical number where everything starts happening. You'll get to do all sorts of things. But yeah I know you were busy with one thing or another. Doesn't mean I still can't give you a hard time about it. ;p

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast