Thread: FFXIV PS3 version goal is to be the standard for console MMOs

The Quiet One FFXIV PS3 version goal is to be the standard for console MMOs Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

News Post FFXIV PS3 version goal is to be the standard for console MMOs

The work for FFXIV is still ongoing and the alpha will be coming soon. However, they started talking more about the PS3 version of the game. The PS3 version was originally planned to release shortly after the launch when FFXIV first came out. However, the problems of the PC version delayed it. The one of the goals that they have with the PS3 version is that they want to make it the standard for MMORPGs to follow on consoles.

Square has a lot of experience on consoles to start and with FFXI starting out on the PS2, they have familiar ground in making a MMO work well on a console. The big talking point for them today was about how the game will control and the menus.

PS3 owners will find it very familiar, as they are reporting to be very much like the XMB of the PS3. There will be seven main categories on their menu bar, "Live", "Content", "Social", "Map", "My Character", "HUD", and "System". From those familiar with FFXI menu, this is narrowed down significantly. However, there will be sub-menu in some if not all of the categories. An example given was for "My Character" which would have things like "Pose", "My Items", "Action Menu" and "Event Items". A lot of the categories are still unknown at what they will hold, like "Live" or "Social".

Much like with the macros in FFXI, they will be using what they call the "Cross Hot Bar" accessed with the L2 and R2 buttons to use the four groups found on screen in UI. They will work like the macros from FFXI allowing to you use them for text or abilities.

The lead interface designer, said he wanted to make the interface so that those playing on the consoles were at no disadvantage. He understands that the favored play style for MMO players are mouse and keyboard, but he wants console players to play the game just as well as those on PC. Considering my experience from the FFXI PS2 and PC versions, I found a controller faster than a keyboard and mouse. So the PS3 version should be just as solid those wanting to play on the console.

UPDATE: Square's released the first screenshots of the PS3 version of the game and they come with pictures of the interface.

ffxivps31.jpgffxivps32.jpgffxivps33.jpgffxivps34.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images FFXIV PS3 version goal is to be the standard for console MMOs-ffxiv-jpg 
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner