View Poll Results: Do you use generic NPCs more often?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I prefer to use my own characters!

6 66.67%
  • No, the story-given NPCs are too strong and/or cool!

1 11.11%
  • I crystallize my generics to be absorbed into a story-given NPC!

0 0%
  • Steve the Squire > Thundergod Cid!

2 22.22%
  • I have no idea what I'm doing!

0 0%

Thread: "Little money"

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Blog Entries

"Little money"

After another generous Christmas holiday, I considered the thrashing my poor, poor bank account received in the month of December. That got me thinking: I have l i t t l e m o n e y!

(If you've played the original Final Fantasy Tactics, you will know what I mean. They may have fixed the text-scrolling during that part in the PSP port. I have no way of knowing.)

So based on my current, financial state of affairs plus my somewhat odd urge to play a role-playing game, I've decided to revisit some games in my RPG library. I thought Final Fantasy Tactics would be a nice change of pace from the open-ended world of Skyrim and the Assassin's Creed series. However, my usual playthroughs of this game rely on story characters (Cid, Mustadio, Beowulf, etc.). I thought of maybe changing it up this time, using more of the custom characters. Has anyone else here relied more on their trusty create-a-characters over the unique NPCs built in to the storyline?
    Hero façade. Villain at heart.

The Old Skool Warrior "Little money" LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    While I love the story characters, I typically only use one or two of them, and the rest sit in the party selection screen awaiting orders to be sent on fetch quests, or for when the strategy calls explicitly for their talents. Part of this is because the members you recruit near the beginning end up having so many options because of the time you've spent with them, they hold a longer appeal.

Obviously, if you spend no time working with them (or never recruit outside of what the game gives you), you probably won't have any attachment to the cannon fodder at all.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

I am about 50/50 on which characters I use. I love using the characters I helped create and at the same time I love some of the story characters a lot too. I didn't vote because I don't really use one over the other.

Doing the Chain Chomp Stomp at the GS Forums!

I really like the story characters♥
    but I rather use my own characters,since I created them XD
    and also it is because,sometimes I think that the story characters will die,turn into crystals,and my siblings will save..= (

I use story characters during story battles. Then I basically never use them except for maybe Mustadio/Balthier.

I get a hard on for the customization I can do in FFT. Even tho Auto Potion is still and always will be the best Hit Activated Skill.

If it ever comes down to having to use a story character, it's Ramza, since he's just getting every Job maxed out in order of the list.

so Generics > Story characters. More fun imo.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Blog Entries
    The sucky thing is in FFT for the Playstation you only get like 16 slots for characters, so if you get and keep a lot of your guest characters alive, you're kinda limited to your own custom characters. They upped it to like 24 in the PSP version though, which is much better.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Sir Prize &quot;Little money&quot; Sinister's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm...let's see. I could always play with ****ing Rafia and Malak...or I could handcraft some homebrewed Dragoon, Dual-Wielding, Samurai. What to do...what to do.

But seriously, the story characters that aren't massively underleveled when you get them are just too damn cheap. There's no middle ground. I HATE using Cid, but who the hell has time to mess with leveling Cloud? The only "story" character I use, besides the ones they make me use, is Beowulf.

-Sin

Fear not, this is not...the end of this world.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good..."

Registered User &quot;Little money&quot; HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Steve the Squire was the bravest man of his time and a damn fine soldier. :'l

On a slightly more serious note, I really do prefer using my generics. The real reason I do that is because I can edit their stats as I please. (Meaning firing everyone in the beginning of the game and re-hiring new soldiers with the right compatibility and high enough brave/faith for whatever I want them to be.) Honestly you don't really need to do all that stuff on tactics cause the game's really easy enough already but it is nice to have your spells work and an overall good compat with your team. Things are just better when everyone gets along.