Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin1199 View Post
    Why did you do that if you could auto battle lol?

P.S.: ME was and still is a bad game. Your sheer obsession with defending it is just your opinion. The fact that it pissed off alot of people and still does just goes to prove they suck. Now try prove me wrong, I care not. They didn't please alot of people when they could've. All it takes is one screw up in the story to mess up a game and that's what they did with glory.
    Let me get this straight. Mass Effect got critical aclaim by both players and reviewers worldwide, sure they ****ed up the last 15 minutes for which they soon redeemed by improving upon and fixing their very mistake, ergo it's a bad game (not sure why you use singular) even though you haven't even played it.

Did you know Half Life 2 pissed players with both it's catastrofic launch and an ending that divided players way more than Mass Effect ever will, by your logic it's a bad game I assume?

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

The Old Skool Warrior REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Psst - I'll reiterate what I said before - nothing about the combat system in LR plays itself. Actions are committed as you press the buttons; actions do NOT stack up like in the previous entries in the trilogy.

The banter is amusing though. :3

~ sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Registered User REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ Love2FFgirls's Avatar
    My game came last night (Amazon pre-order) and I immediately downloaded the bonus garbs (Cloud & Yuna Summoner). Altogether I had four DLC garbs to go along with the three or four that you have at your disposal by the time you're first transported to the Ark at the beginning of the game. I'll tell you, this game will take alot to get used to. I practiced on the demo at least a few times over the past few weeks since it was released, and still didn't get a full grasp for it. The previous games didn't really take long be comfortable with, but this one will probably take some more time. With puzzles to deal with right from the beginning, along with the ticking clock, it kind of makes you feel anxious as you're wondering around the areas. One of the things I did was take on this mission from a bounty hunter to kill a large fiend. I beat it, but I used up about three or four of my health potions in the process. You can only carry about six of any restorative potions at once. I'm playing the game on Easy mode just so I can focus on getting a better feel for the game than to worry about restoring my health in between each battle.

I guess the 13's are more auto battle friendly and that's why people go into habit of calling them games that play themselves. Not the last one though but the others. I never said this one played itself...

EA did fix the ending, but it was already too late.

The Old Skool Warrior REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A game that plays itself.
    Uhh...

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ Xanatos's Avatar
    Not the last one though but the others. I never said this one played itself...
    Actually you did in your very first post, unless you meant another game which would make no sense at that time with title of the thread and all.

In FF IV The Complete Collection and FF IV DS/Android/Ios you press select after which you don't even have to be present to issue another command = the game plays itself.

Yeah, in the very beginning, because I didn't know. Then I read Loco's post and read reviews. Then loaf started proving me how every FF can play itself lol.

In any case, imo pace and how easy it is to make commands can make the game feel like ARPG. That's just my opinion, so take it or leave it. I'm not here to prove you that this game is action or strictly ARPG. Alot of people feel like it is.

You can slow down the game and do everything manually with each turn, but does the game want you to do that? Is it designed best for this type of gameplay or for more fast paced one?
    Last edited by Odin1199; 02-12-2014 at 07:55 AM.

EA did fix the ending, but it was already too late.
    Too late for what? Do you even know under what circumstances that ending came to be?

Arthur Conan Doyle killed one of the biggest character ever to be created, Sherlock Holmes, later at fans request he changed that. Bethesda did the same with fallout 3. Are they too late and whats with all those games with permanent awful endings like Half Life 2 or Borderlands, do they still suck?

Yeah, in the very beginning, because I didn't know.
    This... this is where I draw a line, I would throw a facepalm image but this shit ain't even funny anymore.

Xanatos uses teleport... wush.

Certified tech, come at me! REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really liked your review Loco and I also see this game has already started a revolt. I feel like I am walking into a courtroom trial by coming to this thread haha. Anyways, I recieved my pre-order and am planning on playing LR soon. From what I've played in the demo, I feel like Square is getting better with their FF series. They wrote the characters much better compared to how they were with the first FFXIII (which I still enjoy despite that flaw), and there's more to explore, experiment with, and the storyline is also really good. Its the end of the world for crying out loud, how do you not enjoy a story of that magnitude?

Given you have a limited amount of time to do everything, that offers more replayability. Its like Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross where you have to play the game over and over to get different endings assuming multiple endings are involved in the game. I feel that Square is testing out elements in this game to work over into FFXV (to rephrase, it feels like LR is going to be that testing ground for FFXV); you have your open world to explore, its very action oriented, you can run, climb, and jump on things, and I feel there will be much more that Square may take examples from in LR and implement them in FFXV.

From my experience playing LR, I certainly didn't feel like the game was playing itself, after all, you're running around, getting into battle encounters, you're in full control of your job classes, movements, how you attack, your equipment. For games that are playing itself, you might be referring to Ryse for the XB1, everyone is legitimately ranting on that but that's a different topic for a different game. Back on topic, I would say don't rule out LR just because its timed and because its action-oriented, there are many things to enjoy in the game and a full world to explore which will take multiple playthroughs. I hate to have to play a game once and not get back to it, I need something to draw me into playing it again.

In summary, I think Lightning Returns is a great entry to the franchise, nice epilogue to FFXIII, and it brought me to appreciate the FFXIII series more than I have in the past. I was up and down about XIII, but I still like the series. Honestly, I don't think a game would be as fun these days if it played 100% of exactly how you wanted it.
    Currently Playing:

See, another person said that it's more action oriented. Now they'll have to fight the 2 of us to prove us wrong. Oh and god will they try.

It's ok as long as the game is fun. That's all. I don't know why we even started arguing about it being action oriented or ARPG in the first place.

Blog Entries
    I'm not saying the game isn't action-oriented! It definitely is. I was arguing the point where it seemed like you implied the game could auto-battle, where it cannot. A point of relevance, Bravely Default has auto-battle and it's a classical turn-based, so points are moot all around.

@Sabin - one single ending. I think the only thing that "changes" is whether it's a game over for failing and an introduction to NG+, or the proper ending for saving all major plot points.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Damn those guys were arguing with me that it's not action oriented, so much time wasted...

Pretty sure I mentioned action oriented once and the rest was me trolling, showing you how every final fantasy plays itself.

Pretty sure my action oriented remark was trolling.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Damn those guys were arguing with me that it's not action oriented, so much time wasted...
    Do point out where either I or Andromeda wrote that LR is not action oriented, our point being just because it's more action oriented does not make it an Action JRPG such as Kingdom Hearts or Crisis Core as it still utilizes classic ATB system. Seeing as you were not able to counter most if not all points I and Andromeda made I highly doubt you'll able to do this as well, though I'm prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt. Now go search for that line and prove me wrong (5$ he can't).

Then I confused you guys, because I thought arpg is same thing as action oriented. Didn't know there was a certain criteria for arpg's to be arpg's. Anyhow sorry for the confusion.

Blog Entries
    Hey hey now, come on. I think the point had been made. I think everyone has a slightly different personal definition of what an "Action RPG" is, and that's the root of the confusion.

When someone says ARPG to me, I think of a combat system where you do not trigger a separate battle instance when coming into contact with an enemy.

By my definition, Elder Scrolls, Dragon's Dogma, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdoms of Amalur, Mass Effect, etc... these are Action RPGs. The battles are handled live on the "world map" without a transition into a separate battle screen, and your battle menu is always available.

Final Fantasy (excluding Crisis Core), Dragon Quest, Tales of xxx, Eternal Sonata, etc... these are your traditional RPGs. Even though they all have wildly different controls, battle mechanics, and class systems, they share a common thread - battle is a separate existence from the rest of the game.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Boxer of the Galaxy REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ Rowan's Avatar
    Because of your review Loco and because of my passion for Final Fantasy, I am going to give this game a shot, but only when the game comes down considerably in price. My whole point had nothing to do with other titles, Dont care about non-final fantasy games. They can have any style they want. But the FF series has become progressively worse in many ways, and we are all frogs in slowly boiling water. Except I am a frog with a voice who complains the whole time. Due to my love for the series, ill boil along side the rest of you.

"hey guys, its getting kinda warm in here..." - FFXII
    "Guys, do you feel that.. burn?" - FFX -2
    "GUYS MY FREAKING FROG SACK IS ON FIRE" - FFXIII
    "ANSWER ME KERMIT, PLEASE ANSWER ME!!" - FFXIII-2
    "Kurt Russell" - FF;4 heroes of light
    "..." -FFXIII-3

The Quiet One REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I figured I'd bring up the time element, now that I've been playing the game longer. I have 13 hours on the game currently. Starting from 7 hours to 13 hours, only 27 in-game minutes have passed. Because of the Chronostasis ability, which allows you to freeze the progress of time. I've been able to keep the ability going for 6 hours, it's pool is resupplied by winning battles. As long as you're fighting you should be able to keep time stopped for as long as you want. I've gotten a ton done in that 6 hours of frozen time. So things aren't as restrictive as you might think.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Registered User REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ Love2FFgirls's Avatar
    I figured I'd bring up the time element, now that I've been playing the game longer. I have 13 hours on the game currently. Starting from 7 hours to 13 hours, only 27 in-game minutes have passed. Because of the Chronostasis ability, which allows you to freeze the progress of time. I've been able to keep the ability going for 6 hours, it's pool is resupplied by winning battles. As long as you're fighting you should be able to keep time stopped for as long as you want. I've gotten a ton done in that 6 hours of frozen time. So things aren't as restrictive as you might think.
    I'll be honest, I'm still trying to figure that one out. I haven't used the Chronostasis ability once, since I wasn't sure how often I could get it back. In the tutorial for the "Escape" ability, I used it and for some reason it doesn't seem to have restocked; even though I've been fighting in plenty of battles.

Now, that's more like it.

The Quiet One REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In Luxerion there are not as many enemeis that show up, so it is harder to maintain. Usually you'll get .04 EP, which means you need 25 battles to get 1 EP. However, fighting around the Warrens or Graveyard can increase your EP by like .2 a battle which is only 5 battle to get 1 EP. And if you get enough battle you can keep ahead of the cost. This is more well suited for areas like the Wildlands and the Dead Dunes where there are a lot of enemies and you regularly get .1 or .2 EP from any battle and 2 EP from some battles. But smart planning even in Luxerion in the Graveyard should be able to get your EP back. Though it may be a little rough on Day 2 unless you've bought some better gear around town.

With having played the demo and Andromeda's posts, I'm now convinced I want the game. I'll of course wait for a price drop like I always do. With some luck maybe it'll be as quick as XIII-2, which I think was $15 within the first month after release.

I found the XIII-2 gameplay to be garbage (I fell asleep playing it multiple times), a huge disappointment after feeling XIII was one of the best, at least in terms of challenge. But the demo for this game was quite fun.

Boxer of the Galaxy REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ Rowan's Avatar
    Is this ability available early game?

Blog Entries
    Aye, very early!

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Okay, so we can establish that the time limit is a non-issue because its possible to freeze time indefinitely? Could you explain how the ability works , for how long and how it is activated/obtained?

Blog Entries
    Spend EP to temporarily pause the clock (it's a fairly long "temporary"). Regain EP by battling. Go about your business. Rinse and repeat! Many days I opted not to utilize it because it felt cheesy to do so, but as I encroached upon the "Two Days Remain" threshold, I had to! There was still so much to do.

Random;:
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay

Blog Entries
    Yeah, like Loco said, the ability lasts for like 3-5 minutes. I haven't timed it, but it is a good amount of time. Given how easy it is to regain EP when you put your mind to it. I'd say Chronostasis makes the time limit as moot as you want it. You won't always be using it since you will need to get to different parts of the day. But when you don't want time to move, you can be certain it won't start again unless you want it to do so. This certainly becomes easier the more you progress in the game as Lightning's stats increase.

In combat heavy zones, like the Wildlands and Dead Dunes it is a certainty you'll run across battles every 5-10 seconds you're out there. Naturally you can avoid said battles, they pop up and will give chase, but if you take all of the battles. You can easily maintain a full EP meter. Once you get deeper into the game where you have more EP available, it'll make even going around the city pretty easy because you should be able to do some things and pick up the battles as they go. If you get into a tight spot, just jump over to a more encounter heavy part of the city.

"Tiger Hair" REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ HeroZero's Avatar
    I'm still ass-mad about what squenix did to the story i loved in ffxiii in xiii-2. ****ers ****ed everything up and didn't even have any sort of conclusion at the end of xiii-2, because of that i refuse to buy the new xiii. plus they made hope a kid again which was damn near the only redeeming feature of the xiii-2 storyline (wuss boy became a badass!).

As to everything else I know I would still enjoy the game if i played it but I hate when anyone makes a 'bridge' story (be it movie book or game) that is literally only there to make you buy another installment.

Well put together review for it Loco, I enjoyed reading it. On a side note I have been listening to ZRO playing the game on occasion, and it certainly sounds interesting.
    Last edited by HeroZero; 02-14-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    "Evil spelled backwards is Live, and we all want to do that now don't we?"

Certified tech, come at me! REVIEW ~ Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ~ SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whenever I finish playing Lightning Returns, I should finish up Majora's Mask because LR reminds me so much about that game.
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries
    Having finished the game now and Platinum'd it. I can easily say for me, it is one of the best FF I've played. Ignoring scoring and critiquing, the reason I say this is the same reason I realized that I like Dark Souls more than Demon's Souls. I played both games, but I wanted to play a New Game+ for Dark Souls, I put 80 hours in and I still wanted more. I had to stop myself because I needed to work again. The same is with LRXIII. After I finished the game, I dove right in for New Game+. I wanted more and I played more. If I didn't have other things I needed to do I'd probably go for a New Game++. The game's a blast to play, which at the end of the day, when a game is a game and fun it is so much better than something that's forgets to be a game. It's the reason I still love FFX-2, I played it 3 times straight without stopping and 5 times total before putting it down. That's the sign for me of a great game, where you don't want to stop playing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2