Thread: Music, the discussion!

Teh Future Mod :3 Music, the discussion! Jenova's Avatar

Music, the discussion!

So, after playing it and really liking the music so far (I'm only on disk 2), so I downloaded it. I noticed some things. A few things bad, a few things good. I noticed that they used "Piano Piece", instead of the old Prelude that we all know and love, now, I don't mind this but I'm sure some people got peeved at this. Another thing. The chocobo music. I liked it up until the lyrics came in it. That peeved me.
    [DISCUSS]

SPOILER!!:
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mack911GT
    My TBP Profile: http://www.thepokemonboard.com/member.php?u=414

Once I become mod, I shall RULE WITH AN IRON FIST!!!!!!

The game.. you just lost it

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Music, the discussion! Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Re: Music, the discussion!

LOL!
    I like the chocobo song!
    And yep, hated how ALL the FF themes were gone.
    Though I did like Sunleth waterscape.
    I think that the orchrastrels(SP) are getting a little bland.
    THough Sabers edge is the best boss theme

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

I get shit for saying this all the time. I liked XIII but it was one of the worst FF's. But had the best music of any FF. no disrespect to Nobuo Uematsu because he was a genius but Masashi Hamauzu took it to another level. Gapra Whitewood is the greatest song

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Music, the discussion! Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingClaudius View Post
    I get shit for saying this all the time. I liked XIII but it was one of the worst FF's. But had the best music of any FF. no disrespect to Nobuo Uematsu because he was a genius but Masashi Hamauzu took it to another level. Gapra Whitewood is the greatest song

Sorry but, you might want to retract that statement. I mean I kow it's your opinion but uhmm, you will get attack for even playing like that.
    FF13 had no memorable tunes, just like FF12, hell, only FF1-X had any songs worth mentioning, the only songs in FF13 that are good are SUnleth waterscape and Sabers edge >.>

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

Quote Originally Posted by o0Odin0o View Post
    Sorry but, you might want to retract that statement. I mean I kow it's your opinion but uhmm, you will get attack for even playing like that.
    FF13 had no memorable tunes, just like FF12, hell, only FF1-X had any songs worth mentioning, the only songs in FF13 that are good are SUnleth waterscape and Sabers edge >.>
    Im a producer and in school for audio engineering. and production wise, XIII soundtrack shitted on any Final fantasy hands down simply because technology was no where near it is today. dont get me wrong I love almost every Final fantasy soundtrack. VII, VIII, and X are my favorite soundtracks. I agree on saber edge being great. But Sunleth waterscape is Japan Pop trash.

Registered User Music, the discussion! Joyful Blue's Avatar

Oh opinions, so many of them.

Without necessarly being proud of the fact, I can say that I'm pretty darn familiar with the "Japan Pop trash scene" and Sunleth Waterscape falls far more firmly in the Eurovision Song Contest vain of trash. Sweetbox may be proud of such a song being in their repertoire but that's as far as I'd go really. I'm not really a fan of it either way but it was at least nice to see them trying something a bit different by having vocal tracks in this soundtrack.

I'll begrudgingly admit that I'm something of a Nobuo fanboy when it comes down to FF soundtracks and so I wasn't expecting a great deal. I was pleasantly surprised though as I actually thought it wasn't that bad, still my low expectations could have helped it on its way.

The final boss theme was well done and I thought the battle theme was one of, if not the best in the series so far. Like others have pointed out though, it was a shame not to see some more of the "classic" FF tunes in there but after the abomination that was the X-2 soundtrack I can't complain too much. I would say that the Pulse version of the Chocobo theme was the closest there was to being a "proper" FF song.

Yeaa i cant even front. I take back that Japan Pop statement lol. I bet the Japanese version was actually good. but when you try to translate it, its too damn corney for me. And the actually live voices and female Harmonizing in songs like Gapra Whitewood, Sylva Springs, and Dust to Dust, thats what really sold me on the soundtrack.

Well, maybe it is because The favortie parts of the game are the Sunleth, and really ahh, Gran pulse, archilette plains or whatev lol.

I mean I love harmonies and it has em.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, Nobuo is better and there's a lot of people who'll agree. One of the things that keep the Final Fantasy games together is the soundtrack - when anyone thinks of Final Fantasy, we all get similar theme songs in our heads. Sure, the music in FFXIII was great, no doubt about it, but there was no nostalgia.

Im a producer and in school for audio engineering. and production wise, XIII soundtrack shitted on any Final fantasy hands down simply because technology was no where near it is today. dont get me wrong I love almost every Final fantasy soundtrack. VII, VIII, and X are my favorite soundtracks. I agree on saber edge being great. But Sunleth waterscape is Japan Pop trash.
    If you want to be a good producer, you'd hold older material in higher regard. Music in the previous Final Fantasy games made me feel something, and honestly, XIII's music got shitted on because it wasn't able to deliver the same emotions the other games were capable of.

I'm not a Leona Lewis fan, but I liked her song "My Hands" being used in the end.
    I didn't think I would either.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Im not saying musically better. im just saying the technology is completely different from when Nobuo did his thing..The music in Final fantasy was the 1st thing that made me such a fan of the franchise and if u were to put any soundtrack that Nobuo produced vs. XIII, song by song of course Nobuo would crush him and yes there was alot more memorable songs on any other FF soundtrack. Production wise though i have to give it up for Masashi's creativity.

Ohhhh, I see what you are talking about. As in 64 bits and 16-8 bit music aren't as technically strong as these full orchestral versions lol

Badass Military Agent Music, the discussion! Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

and if u were to put any soundtrack that Nobuo produced vs. XIII, song by song of course Nobuo would crush him and yes there was alot more memorable songs on any other FF soundtrack. Production wise though i have to give it up for Masashi's creativity.
    That may somewhat be true to people who based their opinions off of facts and what's popular, but in my OPINION, song by song, probably not, the music in FFXIII was memorable in it's own way and hell I'm already a huge fan of it. It had a smooth anime style feel to it that made me feel at ease while listening to it, the battle music in some places was also top-notch and put a little feel of epicness to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    Actually, Nobuo is better and there's a lot of people who'll agree. One of the things that keep the Final Fantasy games together is the soundtrack - when anyone thinks of Final Fantasy, we all get similar theme songs in our heads.
    Actually, he's not better and I agree with me based off of how I feel about the music in all the other FF games compared to XIII.

Quote Originally Posted by o0Odin0o View Post
    Different taste in music possibly?

XIII soundtrack shitted on any Final fantasy hands down simply because technology was no where near it is today.

Technology.... really? Again different taste in music possibly...

Going thru a lot of these post, I see a lot of things people consider facts rather than their own personal opinion... then again maybe it is their opinion which subconsciously is based off a popular opinion maybe

Although FFVI, Tactics, and FFVIII music is just as good to me

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Music, the discussion! ZantetsukeN's Avatar

I do like the music from FFXIII, but to me it was just that, music.

I think soundtracks are a key factor in making, or breaking, a game, and to me, FFXIII had no memorable tracks, apart from maybe the main battle theme. That was it.

Sure it was dramatic, sure it was atmospheric, and was probably more fitting to the game, but I'm more of a fan of having a melody playing when you enter a town etc. For example, Fisherman's Horizon from FFVIII, or Treno from FFIX. I like having those memorable melodies which you could hum along to every time you revisit the location. FFXIII had none of these, and it was disappointing for me.

So overall, I did like the music, but I was a tad disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZantetsukeN View Post
    I do like the music from FFXIII, but to me it was just that, music.

I think soundtracks are a key factor in making, or breaking, a game, and to me, FFXIII had no memorable tracks, apart from maybe the main battle theme. That was it.

Sure it was dramatic, sure it was atmospheric, and was probably more fitting to the game, but I'm more of a fan of having a melody playing when you enter a town etc. For example, Fisherman's Horizon from FFVIII, or Treno from FFIX. I like having those memorable melodies which you could hum along to every time you revisit the location. FFXIII had none of these, and it was disappointing for me.

So overall, I did like the music, but I was a tad disappointed.
    There you go, that's exactly what I meant lol.
    No set tunes like FF12.