Thread: Final fantasyxiii linear?

Final fantasyxiii linear?

I mean i have spent only 15 hours playing the game..
    Just got through with chapter 8 i guess and now i,m haning out vanille and zash..
    Is there a hope for nonlinearilty or smh?..
    I mean for once Id like to explore citys, buy stuff and do other missions other than doing the story?..
    FFXII had that thing, does FFXIII has the same thing?
    So long Sentiment.
    Go get raped.

Lady Succubus Final fantasyxiii linear? Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Final fantasyxiii linear?

No. There are no cities and things like that. That's what the save points are for.
    And when you reach chapter 11, you will be able to do hunting quests.

Other than that, FF13 is totally linear.

The Quiet One Final fantasyxiii linear? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only time you reach a point where you can explore a city without threats coming after you when you're controlling Sash and Vanille. You will visit other cities in the course of the game, but they will either attacking you or under attack and also attacking you still. Considering that you're wanted fugitives cities are not really going to be safe for you. So being able to stop in them is not really an option for them.

All of the shopping is through the save points as you have already seen. Online shopping, yay! >.> As for side missions, like said above that comes when you reach Gran Pulse. When you're on Gran Pulse there a lot that opens up to you quite literally. Though it is pretty much limited to that area, but there is a fair bit of content there. You will not be able to do a lot of it until you beat the game because you'll need to be stronger to face some of the monsters.

When you do reach Gran Pulse you will have that option to jump around to places. And go off the beaten path.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Magically Delicous Final fantasyxiii linear? Merlin's Avatar

If you are looking for a "classic" Final Fantasy feel of walking around towns shopping and raiding people's homes for treasure boxes, you might be a bit disappointed. FFXIII plays more like one of those movies where the lead character is accused of a crime and spends the whole time running from the "good guys" and "bad guys" while trying to clear his/her name and save everyone from impending doom that everyone is ignoring because they are too focused on catching/killing the lead. Wow that was a long sentence... but seriously, that is how the game is. The game is fun (to me) but definitely was a bit too linear for my tastes. Of course I think many US RPGs are way too non-linear for my tastes. I like being nudged towards the finish line. ^_^

Rune Knight Final fantasyxiii linear? Trodorne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    If you are looking for a "classic" Final Fantasy feel of walking around towns shopping and raiding people's homes for treasure boxes, you might be a bit disappointed. FFXIII plays more like one of those movies where the lead character is accused of a crime and spends the whole time running from the "good guys" and "bad guys" while trying to clear his/her name and save everyone from impending doom that everyone is ignoring because they are too focused on catching/killing the lead. Wow that was a long sentence... but seriously, that is how the game is. The game is fun (to me) but definitely was a bit too linear for my tastes. Of course I think many US RPGs are way too non-linear for my tastes. I like being nudged towards the finish line. ^_^
    I can agree with some aspects. but i think a best example of what it takes for a good Rpg. i know this is going to seem bad but Cataclysm World Of Warcraft. with the way they level up is not from grinding but more from quests that advance the story, yeah you can grind for many hour without advancing the story, but you won't get good money or exp. or say you don't care for the story and want to work on your crafting. you level up your character by working on your trade. and even if you don't want to do that you can explore the vast world they have. you can swim,jump, fly around on your mount or go on land, jump up mountains..etc. World of Warcraft is an example what the rpg is also trying to be...a game. making a game linear where you have to be pushed from cut scene to cut scene does not make it a game. and if you have more cut scenes than game that is an interactive movie, im sure lots of blue rays have just as much interactiveness with the audience for less of the price.

Thanks for answering guys.
    One more question tho.
    Even if you finish FFXIII doing only story can you play it afterwards?..
    I mean complete some trophies, missions, hunts, etc?
    So long Sentiment.
    Go get raped.

Magically Delicous Final fantasyxiii linear? Merlin's Avatar

Yes, in fact you cannot max out your characters until AFTER you beat the game. Once you beat the game, you unlock the last tier of stats that you can upgrade. The end of the storyline is not the end of the game.

When you get to chapter 11 you are granted more freedom. From this point on you can configure your own favourite party and have the choic to move around and do some sidequests. The hunts are a good place to start exploring the non linear side. Secondly when you have finished the main story the game does not finish. You can carry on the game with complete freedom so stick with it and you probably won't regret it!!!

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Final fantasyxiii linear? Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Well, the only way you can get the platinum trophy is to beat the game as somebody already posted. sucks that Chapter 11 soon gets back to the machinelike areas you have already played for most of the game... even on Pulse...
    Only really one area is open...

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

The game is pretty much all linear, it was kinda a depressing move.

Basically its like playing FFX without the option to run back and you never get an airship to drop you off anywhere. Eventually you get a pretty "Calm Lands" to run around in that you can go back to but its really just for time wasting.
    Playstaion ID: Setzer_All-in

- "Phoenix Downs are your friends. But remember Cloud they don't always work. I'm looking at yooou Aeris"

-"Immortal maybe... but not invincible!" -Prince (of Persia)