Thread: FF XIII-2 - Hope to the franchise?

Registered User FF XIII-2 - Hope to the franchise? Alex's Avatar

FF XIII-2 - Hope to the franchise?

So, I've been playing FFXIII-2 for about 17 hours now and I'm really enjoying it. I am actually gladly surprised how the game turned out, there's some thing's I don't like though. One thing; DLC.

I don't know, but it just seems unnecessary, as if they HAD to to it just because every other game does it. I don't blame DLC in general, but the DLC for this particular game just seems forced. And that's never good, right?

Another thing: Lack of Party members
    It's not a that big of a deal, but with more characters it just feels more dynamic and more fun. I do like the monster idea, it's very fun but more story-driven and well written characters would've been awesome.

Last but not least: Story
    Yes, the story has it's moments when it feels very epic but they also explain a lot, which mostly ends up being a "Paradox"'s fault. I dunno but the story could've been better.

That's my 3 minuses, but everything else is pretty neat. The battle system, monster recruiting, serendipity, NON-linearity ...
    It feels more of a Final Fantasy game, though with a world map and more characters it would've been complete. ( I know adding a world map would get confusing since you have the Historia Crux, but next time they should include one since it gives you the feeling of freedom and Final Fantasy)
    So, what's your thoughts about this game and how it's affecting the Final Fantasy title? I think it's a good new direction from 13 who was -for me- a pretty boring game.

Dynast-King FF XIII-2 - Hope to the franchise? Lockduck's Avatar

Re: FF XIII-2 - Hope to the franchise?

Totally agree with the DLC comments. As a "gamer of old", I am completely turned off by the concept of DLC. Sure, it CAN be a good thing but it needs to be pretty darn impressive to get me to do it.

I really wish there would be a FF that combines the old with the new. I want the epic world feel and character development of FFVI with the graphics and battle system of XIII & XIII-2.

I am not a fan of Serendipity. There is just not enough. One slot machine and the Chocobo races just doesn't cut it for me. And the fact that the other game will be DLC upsets me. At least the Gold Saucer had a good handful of games you could play.

Other than that, I really like this game. It is a shot in the arm the series needed imo.

Yeah, Serendipity could've had a lot of more mini-games, but I guess the DLC will take care of that ... Sometimes it just feels they cut off some parts of the game, saved it, then announced it to be a part of the DLC.

I actually like the chocobo racing and the slot machines. Though, I would like to have some more control over the chocobos (like in FF7) But overall, it is quite fun.

Riding the waves of adventure FF XIII-2 - Hope to the franchise? RainingOasis's Avatar
    So far I like most of the stuff they improved on. I liked the fact that they made it easier to get gil than the first one. Same here I wish there was more party members and more open world exploration kind of like in ff7, ff8 or ff9 instead of transporting places but I can say it was a pretty fun game to play. I didn't like that serendipity didn't have that many games to play and like you said it would've been even more fun if you could control the chocobos in the chocobo race even more. I really liked how the storyline begin and ended, I though it was pretty neat it gave the choice of what to say.
    Enjoying the ride of life, one adventure at a time

I'm really enjoying Final Fantasy XIII-2. I don't mind the lack of characters as it alows you to concentrate on Sarah, Noel and Lightning and thier relationship.

I find that having a monster as the third member of your party gives you a nice degree of flexibility over your party. It also offers a nice amount of diversity in your paradigms.

I personally don't mind the concept of DLC, as long as they keep it cheap, but of a high quality. I'd love them to relase one that features Sazh, or one that covers some more about Snow.

I also don't think that a world map would really work in Final Fantasy games nowdays, they use to be a great addition to the games but we last saw them in Final Fantasy IX, and I haven't missed them at all.

I think Sazh is actually becoming available as DLC in the near the future. They said he will be, so I'll trust that! I don't know if he'll be in the Coliseum or if it'll be more story-driven, though. Maybe you'll be able to play as him and Dajh?

I also read that they are returning "great and memorable" Final fantasy character to fight in the Coliseum. Do I get the feeling of a recruitable Cloud Strife?

I also just saw an article about "leaked Jihl Nabbat DLC", Which means you'll be able to recruit Jihl! Oh my god, That's actually ... Pretty damn good!
    The DLC section has earned my respect
    Last edited by Alex; 02-12-2012 at 03:35 PM.

It would be cool if the did a bit of a cross over with ealier final fantasy games, much like what they did with Final Fantasy Tactics. I'd love to be able to battle and recruit people like Cecil, Kain, Zidane and Cloud.

It would be cool if they added some more story DLC, I would of thought that it would of been fairly easy to impliment a new time gate to another time and place into the game.

Registered User FF XIII-2 - Hope to the franchise? Gabranth_is_king_99's Avatar

Well i guess the DLC is good but if Square Enix just focuses on the XIII part FF is as good as dead
    Your Life ends at my blade-Gabranth as he uses "Innocence"

Interactive anime type FF's are not a good thing. What next, an FF dancing simulator? I hope Square will get it's old tried and tested groove back on.

friend20013

What bugs me is the throwing of the kupo i can never throw it right. they should of left that out. The part where some bosses are unbeatable & not needed to make the game go forward. The worlds in the cruix should go in order of lowest year to the highest like in real life. But besides that the game rocks. I love all Final Fantasy games I own them all. Even the ones that are spelled differently like phantasy stars series.