Thread: XBOX 360 or PS3?

XBOX 360 or PS3?

I want to know if anyone has joined this site on the basis of getting FF13 for the XBOX as that was the only FF title released for that machine, or if XBOX 360 owners bought 13 after playing previous FF games on a PS1 os PS2 I am just curious on that as I am Playsation person myself.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Re: XBOX 360 or PS3?

I think most members here joined before the release of FFXIII, so you mightn't get many answers. Most of the people I know IRL have both consoles now thanks to both price drops and the dirt cheap prices on the fatter PS3s and 360s when stores were phasing them out here. Most got FFXIII on PS3 as it was the superior version (it's kind of funny how much research we do into multiplats before buying), but I knew a few people that bought it on 360 solely as their gamer score meant a ton to them and they wanted the achievements.

To answer your question to some extent, those I know who bought it were previous fans of the series (some as far back as the glory years on Nintendo), and most of my other friends have no interest in games that aren't shooters and so have no interest in the game apart from one graphics whore.
    victoria aut mors

Final Fantasy Noob! XBOX 360 or PS3? ZenMonkey59's Avatar

IGN's comparison between the Xbox and PS3 versions.

They are identical. The correct answer is whichever console you like better. If you love Xbox, and compete with your friends with gamerscore, go for the Xbox version. Same goes for PS3 and Trophies.

Seriously...no difference between the two versions.
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX

Yeah, just like the 360 version of Red Dead Redemption didn't play better then the PS3 version.

Seriously, most multiplats play at least slightly better on one console and FFXIII was best on PS3.
    victoria aut mors

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    Yeah, just like the 360 version of Red Dead Redemption didn't play better then the PS3 version.

Seriously, most multiplats play at least slightly better on one console and FFXIII was best on PS3.
    How so? I've tried both versions, and I can't find any difference...

Did you watch the video? They look exactly the same!

It's mostly just the video resolutions are noticably higher on PS3.
    But looking at screenshots captured from each console connected to the same capture card will show a difference in image quality. Oh and the lack of disc changing is convenient.
    victoria aut mors

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    It's mostly just the video resolutions are noticably higher on PS3.
    But looking at screenshots captured from each console connected to the same capture card will show a difference in image quality. Oh and the lack of disc changing is convenient.
    I agree with the discs...but...watch the video!

There's no difference at all.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey59 View Post
    I agree with the discs...but...watch the video!

There's no difference at all.

Colours seem way more vibrant on the PS3 version, just like with most games. I can see the difference if you look at the shot of Snow more carefully. His hair on the PS3 side looks more yellowy blonde than on the Xbox version.

There is a difference.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    Colours seem way more vibrant on the PS3 version, just like with most games. I can see the difference if you look at the shot of Snow more carefully. His hair on the PS3 side looks more yellowy blonde than on the Xbox version.

There is a difference.
    That's because the lightsource is on the right side of the screen. When he leans to the side, you see his hair cross from the 360 side to the PS3 side.

I'm telling you guys...any difference you're seeing is wishful thinking. Square themselves have said that the only difference is the number of discs.

___________ XBOX 360 or PS3? Kyreaan's Avatar

I would be basing it off of disk playing. The games of the PS3 also look a lot better to me. Microsoft had been getting complaints for the XBox and XBox 360 in having the disk drive $-;++;#/ the bed. Even the Halo 3 L.Edition had reported problems. Besides, you would want a platform that can be used with others in the series. If you're going to switch for a FF game, you might as well start looking at Nintendo's future. I never had any problem with a PS2 playing games or DVDs.

Chrono Cores:

Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreaan View Post
    I would skip the part about it being a 100lb box set and consider the relative mass to converted energy for the staircase. The style I would first choose is to go for the Aeronaut legos and calculate relative time and distance to the axis points within the electromagnetic field that could cross over warping into a wormhole given enough density converted into energy by using the funnelled power of the sun. Enough power may be derived not from the sun, but from the mass of an artificial, contained black hole connected to a semi-quantum theorized single vacuum tube for energy wave processing. You cause youself to fold inward and then collapse in on itself, while rematerializing into another universe or within the same universe with the rest of your ship. Your reference points will be the nearby astrology of wherever you ended up, as well as the age of the nearby stars relative to your current star maps. Go ahead and give me a call or send me an email if I am considered for the position. Thanks. It was nice meeting you.
    I am slapping this thread up for an update. There was a petition set up at Petition Spot for .hack//Link (PSP). It says it is needing 50,000 signers, but it looks like they are asking for only 100 right now. This is asking for either an English patch or an English release towards both NA and Europe regions. It is the last game of the entire series.

.hack//Link English Localization- Petition Spot

The first two series, for those of you who don't read or know, were 7 volumes total and all for PS2. There was also an 8th; it was called .hack//Fragment Offline. A lot of people didn't know that I bet. Has anyone read any .hack manga? If you don't plan on getting Link and instead prefer to read, I recommend at least trying out .hack//Link Manga- Read .hack//Link Manga Online for Free at Manga Fox. Let me know what you think.

Blog Entries

That's because the lightsource is on the right side of the screen. When he leans to the side, you see his hair cross from the 360 side to the PS3 side.

I'm telling you guys...any difference you're seeing is wishful thinking. Square themselves have said that the only difference is the number of discs.
    Okay, fair enough. I'll give you that one. But take a look at this video instead.

You can see a difference. Your video was primarily one image, whereas my one is the same thing being played next to each other. Details are less blurry on the PS3, therefore there being more detail. PS3 discs are Blu-ray discs, so colour is enhanced. This isn't even my inner Sony fangirl speaking up, but the PS3 is a better machine for visuals. It was designed with better visuals in mind.

Saying that there'd be no noticeable difference, no matter how big or small, is absurd given the differences in technology between the two consoles.

>>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

How so? I've tried both versions, and I can't find any difference...

Did you watch the video? They look exactly the same!
    I agree with Zen I don't see much a differences between the two. To me, and this is just my opinion, but it all depends on the lighting and the setup( tv brand etc etc). This title in particular I see no difference.

I mean its multi console title they tend to be the same or near identical.

However people will also see what they want to see, I've had many friends and the internet argue over pixels and everything.

I'm not saying that what you're doing but I think their probably isn't much differences if there is any.

btw I'm glad to see this discussion being handle so maturely so many other forums/websites on the internet typically regress in foaming from the mouth fanboyism, so props to TFF!

This isn't even my inner Sony fangirl speaking up, but the PS3 is a better machine for visuals. It was designed with better visuals in mind.

Saying that there'd be no noticeable difference, no matter how big or small, is absurd given the differences in technology between the two consoles.
    Thanks for mentioning, Sony fangirl. We need more people like you. Here's a little trivia for you media cats. The sample rate for a CD is 44.1 kHz, at 16bit. You guys should look up the actual difference between sample rate and frame rate when it comes to Blu-ray and DVD. See if you think it's really a big deal. For bonus points, look up the information on what a UMD really is.

Chrono Cores:

Quotes:
    I would skip the part about it being a 100lb box set and consider the relative mass to converted energy for the staircase. The style I would first choose is to go for the Aeronaut legos and calculate relative time and distance to the axis points within the electromagnetic field that could cross over warping into a wormhole given enough density converted into energy by using the funnelled power of the sun. Enough power may be derived not from the sun, but from the mass of an artificial, contained black hole connected to a semi-quantum theorized single vacuum tube for energy wave processing. You cause youself to fold inward and then collapse in on itself, while rematerializing into another universe or within the same universe with the rest of your ship. Your reference points will be the nearby astrology of wherever you ended up, as well as the age of the nearby stars relative to your current star maps. Go ahead and give me a call or send me an email if I am considered for the position. Thanks. It was nice meeting you.
    I am slapping this thread up for an update. There was a petition set up at Petition Spot for .hack//Link (PSP). It says it is needing 50,000 signers, but it looks like they are asking for only 100 right now. This is asking for either an English patch or an English release towards both NA and Europe regions. It is the last game of the entire series.

The first two series, for those of you who don't read or know, were 7 volumes total and all for PS2. There was also an 8th; it was called .hack//Fragment Offline. A lot of people didn't know that I bet. Has anyone read any .hack manga? If you don't plan on getting Link and instead prefer to read, I recommend at least trying out .hack//Link Manga- Read .hack//Link Manga Online for Free at Manga Fox. Let me know what you think.

I'm not denying that the PS3 is a more powerful system. That's a fact. But just because the system is more powerful doesn't mean that every game is taking full advantage of the hardware.

Square designed FFXIII to be identical on both consoles...and it is. Most multiplatform games look the same on different consoles. When you look at exclusive titles...that's when you see the big differences. Halo Reach probably has the best graphics on the 360 right now, and they don't hold up against the PS3's high end games.

With FFXIII specifically though, there is no difference. I watched the video you linked, and the images seemed to change a bit, but I didn't see any difference in graphics. It looked more like the images were just slightly different frames in the game.

Here are some screen caps from that video:

SPOILER ALERT: Screen shots don't reveal any story info, but in case you don't want to know anything don't look.

SPOILER!!:

EDIT by Unknown Entity: Added a spoiler because images were too big.
    Last edited by Unknown Entity; 06-20-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Lady Succubus XBOX 360 or PS3? Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those pics look like pre-rendered cutscenes. And also, mind putting it in a spoiler?

This is my favorite site for these kinds of discussions.

Lens of Truth - Final Fantasy XIII Head2Head Comparison - Lens of Truth

Also, double posting is a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Those pics look like pre-rendered cutscenes. And also, mind putting it in a spoiler?

This is my favorite site for these kinds of discussions.

Lens of Truth - Final Fantasy XIII Head2Head Comparison - Lens of Truth

Also, double posting is a no-no.
    Sorry, post edited down.

Those are from cutscenes, but they aren't pre-rendered. They're in-engine cutscenes. There are clips from actual gameplay too, but the frames aren't exactly the same so its hard to compare.

Blog Entries

Thanks for mentioning, Sony fangirl. We need more people like you. Here's a little trivia for you media cats. The sample rate for a CD is 44.1 kHz, at 16bit. You guys should look up the actual difference between sample rate and frame rate when it comes to Blu-ray and DVD. See if you think it's really a big deal. For bonus points, look up the information on what a UMD really is.
    Dude, I'm saying that I notice a difference. I'm not at all saying that the PS3 is more superior, or vice versa, so hold on to your bloody hat. I own an Xbox AND a PS3, both have HDMI cables, and I STILL notice a difference between games. It's mostly the colour.

Zenmonkey, I can see differences in those images. They're tiny, but that doesn't mean that they're not there. In the second one, look at Sazh's collar. In the third, look at the radiance on Lightening's left arm (the right one from your view) on the PS3 version, and how dim it looks on the 360 version. In the last one, look at the line on her collar - the 360 one is more blurred.

Even looking at Victoria's links, I can see differences. They are tiny. Am I the only one with the keen eye? Huh?

>>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT

Oh. I was right. You can see the difference in the PS3 without touching up on the pictures. You should have also used smaller images' BB codes. It looks insane when pictures are going around 900 pixels. Thanks, ZenMonkey.

Anyway, an example of my personal taste in graphics is what you would see in CG movie scenes of Crisis Core- FVII. Your best bet, and this is coming from a betting person, is to save money until you can buy a BC PS3 or wait for another platform coming. You would end up spending too much money on 360's disk drive problems. It's better to just go safe and with better CG. Here's an example in Alice: Madness Returns.

Chrono Cores:

Quotes:

Dude, I'm saying that I notice a difference. I'm not at all saying that the PS3 is more superior, or vice versa, so hold on to your bloody hat. I own an Xbox AND a PS3, both have HDMI cables, and I STILL notice a difference between games. It's mostly the colour.

Zenmonkey, I can see differences in those images. They're tiny, but that doesn't mean that they're not there. In the second one, look at Sazh's collar. In the third, look at the radiance on Lightening's left arm (the right one from your view) on the PS3 version, and how dim it looks on the 360 version. In the last one, look at the line on her collar - the 360 one is more blurred.

Even looking at Victoria's links, I can see differences. They are tiny. Am I the only one with the keen eye? Huh?
    Upon closer inspection, I will concede. You're right. I can see a slight difference.

The differences are minor, and in my opinion they aren't worth picking one version over the other based solely on graphics. But yes, the PS3 does have slightly sharper graphics (though based on Victoria's link, apparently the 360 has a slight edge in filter distance).

Thank you for being logical about the differences though...most people I see posting on these forums vastly exaggerate the differences between the consoles.

My advice to anyone trying to pick between the two versions would be to pick based solely on the console you prefer. For me, I have tons of friends on Xbox Live, and my Playstation doesn't see much action. I bought it for 360 so that it would apply to my gamerscore, and I could take advantage of Xbox Live's community features while playing.

Hopefully people can refer to this thread instead of getting into verbal console wars in the rest of the forum!