Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do people like this game? I don't see it...

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Why do people like this game? I don't see it... Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Re: Why do people like this game? I don't see it...

Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath View Post
    There was the top of the Pharos Lighthouse, Draklor, But-Omisace, assassination of the Emperor, Giruvegan, & I'm Basch fon Ronsenburg. Bwahaha.

That wasn't epic. Sure it was more than the average get around but I mean lasting epicness. Only real thing was the end war, and that got cut short in a sense

Colors aren't everything, architecture and scenery have value.

You are right, but really, I rather look at a color blotch than a really iintricate line drawing, but that's a personal choice.

Well there's coping with great loss(es), freedom vs. tyranny (which is doubled because of the tryanny of Vayne/Judges/Arcadian Empire & the Occuria), revenge, redemption, necessity, to list for ya.

I meant musical theme >.>

A more mature storyline than prior FFs. Has a less anime influence than previous FFs. Has a story that does not repeat itself - good memory useful.

This games Story was clearly not meant for us westerners or people with a short term memory. Like FF2, it was a little complicated

A lazy person wouldn't like having to swtich/set gambits for every new area or to fight a certain monster. A lazy person wouldn't like switching equipment often, & in battle at times, to fit the situation. That's too much work. I would like to know how, your personal favourite Final Fantasy VIII, is not a lazy person's battle system? As with most FFs - press "confirm" for attack 3-5 times each round depending on which FF the gamer is playing.

>.>
    Let's see. First gambit Ally-Any-Phoenix down
    There, set for 90% of the game.
    What kind of super bosses do you liiterally get to walk away for about 3 hours before winning >.>
    In FF8, you had to pay attention. Tell where in FF12 did you hae to set your Gambbits up seperatly?

Vaan did not shake the storyline up like past FF heroes/heroines have, but this game was bound more in reality - small party without great [anime-like] power. Ashe never commanded the story to her will. Vaan does have involvement in the story.

If he had no major settlements in the game, why make him main character? Exactly.

Well she did know a lot, so she didn't need to think she knew everything. The wise sage of the party was her archetype - as was: Fusoya, Tellah, Strago, Cid Previa, Bugenhagen(?), Auron, etc.

Of course she did, but why did she need to bring up random old sayings? B!tch really irritated me, I purposly let her die evvvverytime

Mmmkay? I can understand that Omega is just a huge "mimic-like" machine of doom. The mimics of Final Fantasy XII seem to have an influence by the Omega's of old in appearance. But both complaints are nit-picking.

Yes, they are nit picking XD

Don't.
    Nope, theres more.

Not only were summons random, they were useless.
    Not only were summons useless, unless you have any pre-experiance with Ivalice, you don't get their existence
    Most monsters in that game were human based.
    The game had the worst temple/dungeon/tower in FF history, The pharos of ridoana.
    Oh, but wait, giruvegan, all of it, the waterscapes and the crystal... Point was?
    Again, these are MY opinions. Don't particuraly chose my statement due to our past history, these are my personal opinions and they will stay there, you will not change my perspective on them ToT

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

I want to play a game. Why do people like this game? I don't see it... Zargabaath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o0Odin0o View Post
    Nope, theres more.

Not only were summons random, they were useless.
    Not only were summons useless, unless you have any pre-experiance with Ivalice, you don't get their existence
    Most monsters in that game were human based.
    The game had the worst temple/dungeon/tower in FF history, The pharos of ridoana.
    Oh, but wait, giruvegan, all of it, the waterscapes and the crystal... Point was?
    Again, these are MY opinions. Don't particuraly chose my statement due to our past history, these are my personal opinions and they will stay there, you will not change my perspective on them ToT
    Summons use was more strategical. Here is the Esper Guide on Gamefaqs that will show how Espers in Final Fantasy XII are to be properly used. In past FFs the summons were overpowered, specifically in Final Fantasy VIII - your favourite - & Final Fantasy X; the Espers of FFXII are more balanced so they aren't game breaking.

Some Espers were based off the summons in Tactics games & old Final Fantasy final bosses. So they weren't so random. What about the many inclusions that Final Fantasy VIII had that were not the core group established in prior FFs, were they "random"?

And the existence of summons in all past Final Fantasies were explained? In FF VI, yes. FFIV & FFVII, somewhat. FF III & FF V, no. In Final Fantasy XII after obtaining a new Esper, their page in the bestiary explains how their past self's and how they got into their current state. That's some background information. We also knew they were created by the Occuria so there was plenty of information on Espers.

There were more monster than human enemies in the game which I'm including Espers, bosses, & optional bosses so I don't know where you are getting that most enemies were human based. There are humanoid enemies are Banga, Seeq, & Baknamy but the first two are sparsely fought.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Why do people like this game? I don't see it... Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath View Post
    Summons use was more strategical. Here is the Esper Guide on Gamefaqs that will show how Espers in Final Fantasy XII are to be properly used. In past FFs the summons were overpowered, specifically in Final Fantasy VIII - your favourite - & Final Fantasy X; the Espers of FFXII are more balanced so they aren't game breaking.
    Well, I mean that they almost show no help to the game. If the summons were gone, the game would feel no different. NOt FF8, Maybe FF7, not FF9, and so on.

[/QUOTE]Some Espers were based off the summons in Tactics games & old Final Fantasy final bosses. So they weren't so random. What about the many inclusions that Final Fantasy VIII had that were not the core group established in prior FFs, were they "random"?[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about the setting of FF8, then look at the setting of most FF since FF6. I don't mind adding several new summons cause the old ones can be bland seeing them over and over again, but making every single one? Clearly, they could have just pointed out that belias was a knock off Ifrit, same with most others.

[/QUOTE]And the existence of summons in all past Final Fantasies were explained? In FF VI, yes. FFIV & FFVII, somewhat. FF III & FF V, no. In Final Fantasy XII after obtaining a new Esper, their page in the bestiary explains how their past self's and how they got into their current state. That's some background information. We also knew they were created by the Occuria so there was plenty of information on Espers. [/QUOTE]

Your right about FF3 and 5, but were their stories so congested as FF12's? No, meaning I didn't care that much about the summons in those. I mean in correlation to the story, tho I should have pointed that out

[/QUOTE]There were more monster than human enemies in the game which I'm including Espers, bosses, & optional bosses so I don't know where you are getting that most enemies were human based. There are humanoid enemies are Banga, Seeq, & Baknamy but the first two are sparsely fought.[/QUOTE]

I mean, you fight more humans than monsters, even the damn owl thingies are human like. Not much diversity in monsters.

Hmm, I like your arguments on my points, insightful.
    How about the fact that since the game aimed for a les powerful cast of characters in all, how did they defeat Vayne, or get the power, especially if he fused with a "god"?

The mist system was horribal, though I heard it was better in the international version
    Last edited by Angel of Iniquity; 01-06-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Messed up with the quoting thingy

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

I'm sorry for double posting but I really messed up with the quoting thingy, so please excuse me in that respect

Registered User Why do people like this game? I don't see it... Locke4God's Avatar

The game for me was very exciting for the first half of it. I played in the easter and wester sands for a long time before doing anything, and I loved figuring out how to chain and gambit, and just explore.

Then I got to the Salika wood, and started to feel the game began to drag. It was just a huge area of absolutely nothing. Then Nabudeas had nothing. Then the Phon coast was a huge beach of nothing. Then they plain after were a huge area of nothing, and 4-5 hours of game play went by where I'd done nothing and I started to get pretty bored.

then I got to Archadia at last, and honestly, I wasn't in love with it. Rabanastre, and Bhujerba were much more fun cities I felt, and Archadia didn't spell my bordom of the past 4 or 5 realms.

I got kind of excited again when it was revealed about the gods controlling the crystals and human history, but it almost felt like the game was over at that point. I tried to get into Hunting, which I'd about halfway completed before I'd made it to the Mosphoran Highwastes, but I usually just dabble in sidequests on a first play through, so that wasn't worth much for me.

Tracking down the GF's just felt tedious and kind of annoying at times. Plus the GF's were useless for me. I never once used one for any serious purpose.

Finally I got to the tower of the Sun Cryst, and geeeez was that a massively large dungeon. I actually got bored enough to stop playing for nearly a year, but just this week picked it back up again and finished the rest of the game in under 5 hours.

The storyline to finish was interesting, but somewhat confusing, as it seemed like Cid's and Vayne's actions never made much since.

I loved the game, as I said for the first 50-60 hours, and then I don't know,,, i just never found anything after that worth caring much about. But I left a lot unexplore, so perhaps a 2nd playthrough is warented, and I'll find some enjoyment in the extra sidequests.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Firstly, I really liked the combat system. It was like a breath of fresh air compared to the other Final Fantasy games - they tried something new, and it worked. Gambits were a lot of fun (if not a chore, sometimes) to play around with. It's easy just to set Gambits up to play the game for you, but if you do that and THEN complain that the game is boring, you only brought that on yourself. I do think it was the easiest Final Fantasy I've played - even FFXIII had some pretty hard battles.

I really liked the levelling up system as well. Everyone had a maxed out board by the time I was done with them. It was the first time in a video game that levelling up was fun for me because you had a wide variety of areas to grind in, and you could pretty much run anywhere from any given point.

The story was also pretty good. It was kept interesting by some really likeable characters, and even though I found Vaan and Penelo really annoying, they still were there for the journey. I liked how Ashe progressed throughout the story, with her forgiving/trusting Bashe (not that he'd done anything wrong to begin with), and getting over her late husband. Speaking of which, it was the first game I've EVER played when I got teary during the first cutscene. The ending was really good too.

Besides that, there was tons of other things to do. Side quests, finding loot for the Bazzar items, and hunts, etc. I liked how the weather changed on the plains - it was a pretty cool feature to have. Perhaps annoying at times, but it was interesting.

It's my second or third favourite Final Fantasy.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Been a long time since I've gone back to this thread. I'm glad there are a least a couple people who don't like this dreadfully boring game. I'm so glad they didn't keep many/any of the changes in FFXIII, if they did then the FF series would have to be a write off for me from now on.

Basically it seems that some people just like the boring "mature" story-line which makes me wonder why they even play FF games in the first place instead of just watching Presidential debates slowly pacing back and forth in front of their TV while 2 of their friends read pre-set boring notes in a very bland tone?

People praise the side quests but if the setting and Characters are terrible it hardley inspires me to work on them or continue the story to unlock more. Near the end of my boredom of playing this game I was probably only playing till the next point just to get more hunts.

Everytime I hear people praise the battle system I laugh. Like stated before they pace making unimpressive attacks. The other characters follow a set list of gambits making the game far too easy (and more boring), take them away and you get more frustration then it's worth (See Ooodinoo's thread which everyone seems to miss the point). As stated before even when used situationally Mist charge attacks and Summons are lackluster and almost useless. Take away the slow boring pacing its exactly the same as where they stand in a line cept you don't control two people (ala FFXIII cept there's so much more action in those battles.)

Insist on wrongfully calling me stupid because I don't like boring things (Xanatos...) but I'd rather stick with the more traditional fun and mystical Final Fantasies that rose the series to its glory.
    Playstaion ID: Setzer_All-in

- "Phoenix Downs are your friends. But remember Cloud they don't always work. I'm looking at yooou Aeris"

-"Immortal maybe... but not invincible!" -Prince (of Persia)

Registered User Why do people like this game? I don't see it... Locke4God's Avatar

That's funny, I actually love presidential debates. :-) Seriously.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Why do people like this game? I don't see it... Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan558 View Post
    Insist on wrongfully calling me stupid because I don't like boring things (Xanatos...) but I'd rather stick with the more traditional fun and mystical Final Fantasies that rose the series to its glory.
    Never called you stupid for not liking certain things, I honestly don't recall calling you that, everyone has a different taste after all, and we should learn to respect it, though I do recall you complaining on things the game itself can't be blamed for. If I insulted you whatsoever, I do apologize, I promise it wont happen again.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I did like 12 btw. I got worn down eventually, but I always do and 2nd playthrough allows me to focus on the peripheral stuff, so I'm sure my rating for it will improve once I boot it up again. I loved the gambits and the characters were solid, perhaps not classics, but still good.

Dalmascan princess Why do people like this game? I don't see it... lady ashe's Avatar

i like the game, cuz well its amazing

Ashe and Vaan forever

I roleplay Daisuke Niwa and DArk from DNANGEL and HAruhi Fujioka from OHSHC and also Ashe, so if anyone would like to RP with me just ask haha

My twitter - @Host_Haruhi

Final Fantasy Noob! Why do people like this game? I don't see it... ZenMonkey59's Avatar

I haven't played this game yet (no access to a PS2 atm), but I really want to. It looks like a really cool game! I'm trying to get my hands on a PS2, and a copy of XII (and X for that matter) so I can try it out.
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX

Darkness Incarnate Why do people like this game? I don't see it... Zeromus's Avatar

Dude this game is awesome. Its got the slight feel of a mmorpg. The battle system IMO is great. The story is unique. It brings back things from all the FF's. All the characters may look like girls but I can look past it. All in all I rate 4 1/2 stars.
    Zeromus > Golbez

Dalmascan princess Why do people like this game? I don't see it... lady ashe's Avatar

that out of 5 or 10?

Ashe and Vaan forever

I roleplay Daisuke Niwa and DArk from DNANGEL and HAruhi Fujioka from OHSHC and also Ashe, so if anyone would like to RP with me just ask haha

My twitter - @Host_Haruhi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2